Draft day thread

spndnchz

I have to admit I sure read that one wrong.

I figured we would be taking D and I was OK with that.

In a D-heavy draft, I thought teams would be reaching for forwards and a couple nice D would fall to us.

Instead, once the run on defence started, virtually everyone dove in.

I also figured there was no way a Russian would be the Sabres pick —

not after that press conference where they reminded the world about what a huge risk those dirty ruble-loving KHL-wannabes were.

Clearly, it was a smokescreen and they had been eyeballing Grigorenko all along.

I don't know about other GM's, but Darcy sure as hell suckered me. (And God, I love Kevin Devine).

At the least I was right about one thing: I predicted I would be going to bed happy.

Grigs and Girgs got me waking up happy too.

Now it's time to make the team better for this year.

Found among the day 2 draft rumors on Spector's site;

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Mike Heika reports the Stars shipping out Mike Ribeiro leaves them thin at center, meaning they’ll either have to turn to prospects or make another move to add depth at that position, perhaps by shopping winger Steve Ott or Brenden Morrow.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I think GM Joe Nieuwendyk isn’t done dealing here. He’s got new ownership so he doesn’t have to operate on a shoestring anymore, and Ribeiro obviously wasn’t part of his future plans for the team. It’s believed there’s interest in Ott and Morrow, and if he can translate that into a good second line center, I have to believe he’ll do it.

C'mon Darcy, Roy for Ott or Morrow. Vanek needs a skilled body with grit on his line.

Say it with me now ... Tim Thomas to Toronto, maybe Ghost is right and it will be Luongo.

seems from media reports in south western ontario/Toronto area at least,,,, it a ultimate inevitability Leafs and Vancouver will work out deal with Luongo coming to Toronto.... not what i would hope for. He a quick fix, perhaps a playoff position, but not a answer if being a real competitor to win cup. If you bias be you want Leafs to continue to stink, you hope they get this deal done.

seems from media reports in south western ontario/Toronto area at least,,,, it a ultimate inevitability Leafs and Vancouver will work out deal with Luongo coming to Toronto.... not what i would hope for. He a quick fix, perhaps a playoff position, but not a answer if being a real competitor to win cup. If you bias be you want Leafs to continue to stink, you hope they get this deal done.

Now, I do know what that looks like ... :P .

Stock it up.

Gergenson looks ready NOW! I think he could have taken out the entire Sabres Brass on stage.

Actually, I think one of them may be.

We'll see out of training camp but so far, this draft looks fairly decent.

As someone else pointed out however, we'll have to revisit it in the future to see where these players end up.

I'll give this draft an A+ only because they double downed on 2 good size centers that play a skilled, physical game.

it would seem draft choices were done with eye in making team personal bigger, this draft in this sense has much potential for success. Clearly it does not appease those concerned with the present , but draft apart from the very top, few players drafted come in and have instant effect, thus it not fair to tag Sabres management at least in terms of draft as being inactive. They have pieces to make additions via trade and owner seeming willing to spend for free agents where possible , folks need be patient and see what September brings... One generally need admit for followers of both local teams, Bills and Sabres, these at least far more optimistic times. :)

(now that i have tried to say some nice things, stop beating on the poor dear Maple Leafs have some sympathy.... :o :angel: :bag: :lol:

Archived