Draft day thread

spndnchz

This draft shows you where a lot of teams are at. Most of them picking d-men and Sabres taking forwards.

Which is good. There's no ###### way that Grigorenko falls to 12 in a normal year with ~50/50 & a random goalie thrown into the top 11.

Eleven, if it makes you feel any better, Regier said he talked to Shero about Staal but the refusal to sign an extension prevented him from making any serious offers.

Thanks for the info. And it's good info. But it makes me feel neither better nor worse; bottom line is, the team is not better this coming October because of today. That may change in early July, but it did not change today.

I did not doubt that DR was making efforts. And I actually like the fact that picks were traded to move up; that showed a pulse. But overall, I'm disheartened, even if the two picks today turn out well in three years. I want something to happen now, and that's going to take roster changes.

Thanks for the info. And it's good info. But it makes me feel neither better nor worse; bottom line is, the team is not better this coming October because of today. That may change in early July, but it did not change today.

I did not doubt that DR was making efforts. And I actually like the fact that picks were traded to move up; that showed a pulse. But overall, I'm disheartened, even if the two picks today turn out well in three years. I want something to happen now, and that's going to take roster changes.

Devine said Grigorenko has the skill to play in the NHL this season. If he makes the team and contributes, that helps a little, right?

Carolina and Pittsburgh made a deal that made both teams better. I would expect Carolina to be a solid playoff team next year and Pittsburgh will be Pittsburgh. Sutter will fit in well with the group of Penguin forwards.

Carolina and Pittsburgh made a deal that made both teams better. I would expect Carolina to be a solid playoff team next year and Pittsburgh will be Pittsburgh. Sutter will fit in well with the group of Penguin forwards.

That deal wasn't on the table for any team outside of North Cackylacky, so I can't blame DR for not making it. As discussed earlier, I'm disappointed that there wasn't a big move, but I'm not disappointed in DR.

EDIT: Today.

In fairness, I don't think it makes Pittsburgh any better, and likely a little worse (at least now, if Pouliot works out then who knows). But they definitely got a good return for Staal, about as good as anybody else would have offered I imagine.

That deal wasn't on the table for any team outside of North Cackylacky, so I can't blame DR for not making it. As discussed earlier, I'm disappointed that there wasn't a big move, but I'm not disappointed in DR.

That wasn't my point. The point is two teams in the East got better. IMO, it makes getting something significant done more of an imperative if the Sabres are even going to think playoffs in 2013.

They mentioned Parise a lot tonight in reference to the Pens. Suter makes more sense.

Indeed. It's worth noting that Pittsburgh tried to trade for Suter's rights, but Poile shot it down. Imagine being Suter...choice between Pittsburgh, Detroit, and probably other top teams as well.

In fairness, I don't think it makes Pittsburgh any better, and likely a little worse (at least now, if Pouliot works out then who knows). But they definitely got a good return for Staal, about as good as anybody else would have offered I imagine.

The get a really talented center in return and don't have the Jordan Staal issue hanging over their heads. As you mentioned earlier they seem to be creating cap space for a bigger move.

That wasn't my point. The point is two teams in the East got better. IMO, it makes getting something significant done more of an imperative if the Sabres are even going to think playoffs in 2013.

If that's your point, then I somewhat agree.

The team should, if healthy, make the playoffs with this roster, even with a tough early sked. They would have last year, if healthy. Advancement is a different situation. Right matchup = advancement.

Odds are Darcy makes a minor tweek or two and stands pat going into next season hoping for a perfect storm and a lack of injuries so as to just squeak into the playoffs and become the 2nd team in N.H.L. history to win the cup as an eighth seed.

If that's your point, then I somewhat agree.

The team should, if healthy, make the playoffs with this roster, even with a tough early sked. They would have last year, if healthy. Advancement is a different situation. Right matchup = advancement.

I have a real concern that the Staal trade is going to set off fireworks in the East this off-season. I hope the Sabres are in the middle of it all. Now is not the time to sit back.

Archived