Last Venus 'Transit' Until 2117

Taro T

Today ~5:45PM EST the planet Venus will pass between the Earth and the Sun. The last time it did this was in 2004; it won't do it again until 2117.

NASA is supposed to broadcast a webcast of the transit and it looks like they'll show it on their DirecTV channel.

If you don't have the NASA channel, you can try to watch it yourself, but it isn't recommended without 'solar glasses' or some other strongly light-blocking glasses like welder's glasses. B-)

Enjoy. I doubt anyone here but Flounder is young enough to have a chance of seeing it again. :beer:

EDIT: This is supposed to be the link to the NASA website for the transit, but it keeps going 'Off the Air' for me: http://sunearthday.n.../transitofvenus . It has a couple of other links on that site that might work better. (They probably aren't used to having 40,000+ people trying to access the site.)

EDIT 2: The site has opened for me finally. It's showing the same image that's on the NASA DTV channel. Venus is just barely on the sun's disc currently.

Last EDIT: Looking at it 'live' through two #10 glass filter plates. Venus is just 'on' the sun's disc currently at ~1 o'clock position.

Today ~5:45PM EST the planet Venus will pass between the Earth and the Sun. The last time it did this was in 2004; it won't do it again until 2117.

NASA is supposed to broadcast a webcast of the transit and it looks like they'll show it on their DirecTV channel.

If you don't have the NASA channel, you can try to watch it yourself, but it isn't recommended without 'solar glasses' or some other strongly light-blocking glasses like welder's glasses. B-)

Enjoy. I doubt anyone here but Flounder is young enough to have a chance of seeing it again. :beer:

...Stephen Furst is ashamed of you for going that far out of the way to bring back a joke that died at least 3 weeks ago. But congrats for trying. :thumbsup:

No....we just don't want to encourage our old uncle with developing glaucoma to do something crazy and hurt himself by staring directly into the sun. ;)

I would like to see Chz in welder's glasses though

:lol: Well, that's why I gave the links to view it on the screen.

As for the welder's glasses, has to go w/ coveralls, the mask turned up, and not much else; right?

No....we just don't want to encourage our old uncle with developing glaucoma to do something crazy and hurt himself by staring directly into the sun. ;)

You have an uncle for everything, don't you? Someday you should really consider filming those family reunions.

picture

A half naked angel (is that a halo I see)? For a second there I thought rbochan hacked your account.

i got some decent pics once the clouds broke, but they didn't break until about 3.5 hours into the event. hey, at least they cleared up somewhat. i didn't think we'd get to see any of it.

while i think these kinds of things are amazingly cool, what i find even more awe-inspiring is how enthusiastic my girls get over it. we've shown them pictures and tried to help them (and ourselves, truthfully) gain some perspective about just how far away the sun is, how large the solar system is, and how *tiny* our little slice of the galaxy is in comparison to the rest of the milky way, and how tiny THAT is in comparison to the rest of the universe.

events like these tend to really blow my mind when it comes to perspective.

i got some decent pics once the clouds broke, but they didn't break until about 3.5 hours into the event. hey, at least they cleared up somewhat. i didn't think we'd get to see any of it.

while i think these kinds of things are amazingly cool, what i find even more awe-inspiring is how enthusiastic my girls get over it. we've shown them pictures and tried to help them (and ourselves, truthfully) gain some perspective about just how far away the sun is, how large the solar system is, and how *tiny* our little slice of the galaxy is in comparison to the rest of the milky way, and how tiny THAT is in comparison to the rest of the universe.

events like these tend to really blow my mind when it comes to perspective.

My boys got into it quite a bit as well. We saw it with Venus right on the edge of the solar disc and for about 2 more hours. Couldn't see it any further w/out watching it on TV/intertubes as our trees were obscuring the sun for ~1 hour before sunset. They both checked it out about 4-5 times before the sun got too low.

What sort of set up did you use to take your pictures?

My boys got into it quite a bit as well. We saw it with Venus right on the edge of the solar disc and for about 2 more hours. Couldn't see it any further w/out watching it on TV/intertubes as our trees were obscuring the sun for ~1 hour before sunset. They both checked it out about 4-5 times before the sun got too low.

What sort of set up did you use to take your pictures?

rented a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens from borrowlenses.com, shot with a canon t2i. i wish i had taken off the uv filter; definitely did not need it with the solar filter i used. it just added some distortion. shot at various shutter speeds, f-stops and white balances to get some different shots. the ones with some clouds look the best, IMO, but all of them are pretty cool.

i'll post them on flickr later today and send ya a link, if you want.

rented a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens from borrowlenses.com, shot with a canon t2i. i wish i had taken off the uv filter; definitely did not need it with the solar filter i used. it just added some distortion. shot at various shutter speeds, f-stops and white balances to get some different shots. the ones with some clouds look the best, IMO, but all of them are pretty cool.

i'll post them on flickr later today and send ya a link, if you want.

Yeah, I'd like to check them out. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd like to check them out. Thanks.

gotta work a 12 today, so i won't be home until about 9:00 your time, then have to post them to flickr. probably be way late tonight or early tomorrow morning before i can post the link.

Here they are, in case anyone else is interested in them.

Chris,

Thank you for sharing these. They are great ... you are quite the photog. Even better than seeing it myself ... which I am not sure would have been possible where we are and even if it were it was cloudy here in Halifax.

-----

At the risk of bringing up a touchy subject ...

I hope all is well with your family ... especially your daughter.

Chris,

Thank you for sharing these. They are great ... you are quite the photog. Even better than seeing it myself ... which I am not sure would have been possible where we are and even if it were it was cloudy here in Halifax.

-----

At the risk of bringing up a touchy subject ...

I hope all is well with your family ... especially your daughter.

not at all a risky subject! she's doing okay. we switched her medicine back to a 18mg dose of concerta a month or so ago. stratera was causing her a lot of emotional grief. she'd cry over the littlest thing, which just isn't like her at all. i know she hates being on *anything,* but the reality is that her body hasn't caught up to her brain yet. she thinks something, and it's done. she can't process all this information at once, so her body just goes on autopilot, and she loses a lot of ability to concentrate, focus, listen, be obedient ... not without the aid of some kind of medicine or interventionary element. the 18mg dose of concerta makes her less emotional, but there's still some residual stratera in her body. at least, that's our postulated theory for the other emotional outbursts.

it's just hard watching her try to control herself, and how she struggles. the medicine helps, but ... erg. it's all drug-based. it's horrible. yah, it helps her focus, but what is it doing to her body? what is it doing to her brain? this kid is as sharp as a tack. she's wicked smart. i'm scared to death that the drugs are going to cause some kind irreparable damage down the road.

not at all a risky subject! she's doing okay. we switched her medicine back to a 18mg dose of concerta a month or so ago. stratera was causing her a lot of emotional grief. she'd cry over the littlest thing, which just isn't like her at all. i know she hates being on *anything,* but the reality is that her body hasn't caught up to her brain yet. she thinks something, and it's done. she can't process all this information at once, so her body just goes on autopilot, and she loses a lot of ability to concentrate, focus, listen, be obedient ... not without the aid of some kind of medicine or interventionary element. the 18mg dose of concerta makes her less emotional, but there's still some residual stratera in her body. at least, that's our postulated theory for the other emotional outbursts.

it's just hard watching her try to control herself, and how she struggles. the medicine helps, but ... erg. it's all drug-based. it's horrible. yah, it helps her focus, but what is it doing to her body? what is it doing to her brain? this kid is as sharp as a tack. she's wicked smart. i'm scared to death that the drugs are going to cause some kind irreparable damage down the road.

Thanks for the update.

I feel for you and your family, especially her. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully, as she grows and matures all this will become a bad memory and everything will be fine. I really believe that it will.

Take care.

I bet Pluto just loves it when the other planets pass by yelling "Hey Pluto! You're such a STAR!"

Last pregnancy, my wife bought herself a maternity t-shirt that read, "It's ok, Pluto, I'm not a planet either."

Planetoid Sympathy is important.

Archived