Yanni Gourde

grinreaper

Anyone know what the deal is with Yanni Gourde? Sabre Space says he was transferred to the Sabres on 3/15. I assume just signing a Junior.?

I can't find anything confirming a signing, only that the Sabres have scouted him.

Looks like he's a teeny tiny scorer from the Q: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=117574

This isn't the first time the Sabres have taken a chance on an undrafted kid who had a great final year in Juniors. They signed Shawn Szydlowski last year around this time. Hasn't made a ton of impact yet: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106867

Looks like he's a teeny tiny scorer from the Q: http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=117574

This isn't the first time the Sabres have taken a chance on an undrafted kid who had a great final year in Juniors. They signed Shawn Szydlowski last year around this time. Hasn't made a ton of impact yet: http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=106867

With Yannis size it looks like he'll fit right in with this teams vision of what it takes to win the big prize.

Just win tonight boys. Give us a margin of at least 2 goals. Please. These o.t's and shootouts are hell on my nerves. GO SABRES !

Looks like he's a teeny tiny scorer from the Q: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=117574

This isn't the first time the Sabres have taken a

chance on an undrafted kid who had a great final

year in Juniors. They signed Shawn Szydlowski

last year around this time. Hasn't made a ton of

impact yet:

In fairness to yanni, he's been a much more prolific scorer than Szydlowski ever was. Not

saying it will translate to the pro game. I've seen Shawn play a bunch with the Amerks and so far he looks like a below average AHLer.

Yanni is supposed to be a pretty fiesty guy and the points he has put up are really good. I know, Juniors.

I found this:

A player with a great offensive talent, a good peripheral vision, soft hands and an incredible skating, Gourde can also play with an extra edge and is not afraid to mix it up even tough he is not very big as shown by his 70 penalty minutes this season. Gourde also has eight game-winning goals (24.24% of his 33 goals), which shows he can produce under pressure in clutch situations.

Despite his smaller size, Gourde doesn’t shy away from dropping the gloves and defending his teammates.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-undrafted-gem-yanni-gourde/

In fairness to yanni, he's been a much more prolific scorer than Szydlowski ever was. Not

saying it will translate to the pro game. I've seen Shawn play a bunch with the Amerks and so far he looks like a below average AHLer.

Except that he played in the Q and S.S. played in the OHL, so you can't really compare their numbers.

Except that he played in the Q and S.S. played in the OHL, so you can't really compare their numbers.

He's got ~20 more points than anyone else in the Q this year. There's the comparison to make. If they did actually move on the guy, I'd say why not. It's worth a shot. It's not like much of the current group would be left by the time he was ready.

He's got ~20 more points than anyone else in the Q this year. There's the comparison to make. If they did actually move on the guy, I'd say why not. It's worth a shot. It's not like much of the current group would be left by the time he was ready.

I don't have a problem with taking a chance and signing him either. But I wouldn't expect him to be much more than a depth guy for Rochester. Players in the CHL range in age from 16 to 20, meaning the older guys have a serious advantage over the rest of the league. Also, I think the guy who led the Q in points last year was also undrafted, so it's not clear that success in the QMJHL leads to success at the next level (maybe the hockey equivalent of how some star college QBs don't have the skill set for the NFL?).

At some point one of these diamond in the rough longshots will pan out. I wouldn't count on it, but it won't hurt to try. Rochester could use the players and it's not a big/major investment.

I don't have a problem with taking a chance and signing him either. But I wouldn't expect him to be much more than a depth guy for Rochester. Players in the CHL range in age from 16 to 20, meaning the older guys have a serious advantage over the rest of the league. Also, I think the guy who led the Q in points last year was also undrafted, so it's not clear that success in the QMJHL leads to success at the next level (maybe the hockey equivalent of how some star college QBs don't have the skill set for the NFL?).

At some point one of these diamond in the rough longshots will pan out. I wouldn't count on it, but it won't hurt to try. Rochester could use the players and it's not a big/major investment.

Your dead on with the overage player thing. He has essentially doubled his number with each season in the league. Still, it's enough for someone to give him his shot. Someone will give him a low level entry level deal in hopes that he's a late bloomer. It's a very low risk move.

The code for the front page blindly pulls any "transaction news" concerning the Sabres from Eliteprospects.com and that information includes unwanted, unconfirmed rumors.

Before the trade deadline, it consistently listed "Derek Roy from Buffalo Sabres to Unkown, Drew Stafford from Buffalo Sabres to Unkown," etc. Don't trust it.

The code for the front page blindly pulls any "transaction news" concerning the Sabres from Eliteprospects.com and that information includes unwanted, unconfirmed rumors.

Before the trade deadline, it consistently listed "Derek Roy from Buffalo Sabres to Unkown, Drew Stafford from Buffalo Sabres to Unkown," etc. Don't trust it.

Just move your mouse over the transaction for a short summary.

I do know the Sabres have been scouting this guy, mostly through video, but they have been there live to watch him.

Archived