• Win
    • Lose
  2. 2. Give them a grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Kassian's development could be the biggest indicator yet in the age old debate of whether LR's system and coaching prevents players from playing physical and tough. We saw him young with LR and now we can see what his development looks like...

I am excited about it. It's amazing reading the comments here today of some of the same people who had Kassian as an untouchable in October and now because he played on a team that let their goalie get steamrolled and wasn't Gorilla Monsoon in his 2 dozen games...he's worthless.

It will be fun, and I wonder if they use him in the playoffs?

No, I think you're looking at it a little more negatively than I am. I don't see a problem losing Gaustad (possibly temporarily), keeping Roy (without knowing what was offered), keeping Poms, Vanek, Miller.

That's one thing floating around in the back of my mind. I don't think it's very likely at all, but that's the thing that changed at this time last year. You can't really predict what will happen anymore. They're players in the offseason now.

I am excited about it. It's amazing reading the comments here today of some of the same people who had Kassian as an untouchable in October and now because he played on a team that let their goalie get steamrolled and wasn't Gorilla Monsoon in his 2 dozen games...he's worthless.

It will be fun, and I wonder if they use him in the playoffs?

Toughness up front was a big concern for the Canucks, so I imagine he'll play.

Win or Lose

Huge win ... A+!

You stole my avatar! ... That's OK you can use it, it's not copywrited ... I am keeping it as my avatar, as I am still a big Goose fan and hope that the Sabres sign him after he wins the cup.

EDIT: My feelings about today have not changed my opinion of DR ... I still want him fired, or at least moved out of the GM's office.

I think the team got better today for this season and got a #1 pick.

Nice job Darcy. I still want you fired.

This I don't really understand. Have a good day and get out? What if this is the "new Darcy?"

I'm not sure I even agree with this, but more seeing what the line of thought is.

This I don't really understand. Have a good day and get out? What if this is the "new Darcy?"

I'm not sure I even agree with this, but more seeing what the line of thought is.

One good day in the last 9 years since the Briere trade. Drew Stafford had two goals last game, how many people want him to stick around?

Buffalo Lost size, and size matters.

Vancouver Wins.

Buffalo is a push over; size and toughness went out the door.

I understand two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks.

Zack Kassian has no toughness? The guy has only been in the pros 7 months. The media is f$%#*&.

I think they won the game and I give them a B. The only reason I gave a B instead of an A is I would have liked a little more selling to free up cap space and a roster spot for McNabb. Obviously we won't know for sure who won the Hodgson/Kassian trade for awhile. My money is on Hodgson being dynamite for us, but time will tell. I just don't think Kassian was the guy we wanted him to be...I think he'll be a good player, but I just don't see him being Lucic 2.0. It's quite possible this is one of those trades that works out well for both teams.

And suddenly, center is looking like a position of relative strength. Hodgson, Ennis, and Roy (as others have noted, him being in a contract year next season may be very good for us). Also, acquiring Hodgson means that if we do trade Roy in the offseason, we don't have to demand a center in return. It gives us a lot more flexibility looking for a deal with him involved.

I think they won the game and I give them a B. The only reason I gave a B instead of an A is I would have liked a little more selling to free up cap space and a roster spot for McNabb. Obviously we won't know for sure who won the Hodgson/Kassian trade for awhile. My money is on Hodgson being dynamite for us, but time will tell. I just don't think Kassian was the guy we wanted him to be...I think he'll be a good player, but I just don't see him being Lucic 2.0. It's quite possible this is one of those trades that works out well for both teams.

And suddenly, center is looking like a position of relative strength. Hodgson, Ennis, and Roy (as others have noted, him being in a contract year next season may be very good for us). Also, acquiring Hodgson means that if we do trade Roy in the offseason, we don't have to demand a center in return. It gives us a lot more flexibility looking for a deal with him involved.

He is a kid.

Holy crap 7 months goes by and people have already passed judgement.

Wow?

He is a kid.

Wow?

Name one player that played as passively as Kassian has this season and then went on to become a physical force. Physical aggressiveness is a trait that shows up very, very early in a prospect. Kassian has shown nearly none of it. I'll grant you that he may turn out to be a very good goal scorer as that does seem to develop over time. But when TrueBlue speaks of "what we wanted him to be" he is speaking of the aggression and meanness we all thought was coming. He just doesn;t have what we thought he had.

I'll say this, if it turns out that Kassian's aggression was being kept on a short leash and this kid starts to really show moxie and grit I will be very upset. Having said that, my money is on it not happening.

He is a kid.

Wow?

Why exactly does Kassian have this reputation as some great intimidator? Because of a few fights and some cheap shots in juniors? Because of a bar fight? He got his name from a few incidents, not from his consistent play. This isn't just in the AHL and NHL most critics talk about, it was juniors too. His reputation grew bigger than his game justified. I think Kassian will be a good player, and I think he'll have some toughness...the guy isn't Drew Stafford 2.0. But I also don't think he's Lucic 2.0.

Name one player that played as passively as Kassian has this season and then went on to become a physical force. Physical aggressiveness is a trait that shows up very, very early in a prospect. Kassian has shown nearly none of it. I'll grant you that he may turn out to be a very good goal scorer as that does seem to develop over time. But when TrueBlue speaks of "what we wanted him to be" he is speaking of the aggression and meanness we all thought was coming. He just doesn;t have what we thought he had.

I'll say this, if it turns out that Kassian's aggression was being kept on a short leash and this kid starts to really show moxie and grit I will be very upset. Having said that, my money is on it not happening.

You just defended my position better than I did ;)

Do you want me to show the training camp video again?

The guy DID have the instincts....he was too worried about playing defense and not getting penalties. He was 20 years old and already a wrecking ball.

It may take 3 years....but this will be my redemption in nailing Lindy's system.

I hope the kid scores a GWG in the Stanley Cup this year.

Do you want me to show the training camp video again?

The guy DID have the instincts....he was too worried about playing defense and not getting penalties. He was 20 years old and already a wrecking ball.

It may take 3 years....but this will be my redemption in nailing Lindy's system.

I hope the kid scores a GWG in the Stanley Cup this year.

We'll see. You know that I was one of Kassian's loudest supporters on this site, and it's pretty obvious to most that I have a love affair with tough, nasty players. But I have to say, what I was watching on the ice for most of this year looked more like Chris Gratton's last season here than Brad May's last season here. I was getting plenty nervous that he wasn't going to be good use of that draft pick.

And I'll add...... let's assume for a moment that it is Lindy's style (or whatever) that is keeping Kassian's game down. If that is true, and Lindy is here for the long haul (which appears to be the case), then it is much better for us that we get a top prospect for him now before he turns into Taylor Pyatt. In this sense, the best possible thing the Sabres could have done is move him now.

We'll see. You know that I was one of Kassian's loudest supporters on this site, and it's pretty obvious to most that I have a love affair with tough, nasty players. But I have to say, what I was watching on the ice for most of this year looked more like Chris Gratton's last season here than Brad May's last season here. I was getting plenty nervous that he wasn't going to be good use of that draft pick.

And I'll add...... let's assume for a moment that it is Lindy's style (or whatever) that is keeping Kassian's game down. If that is true, and Lindy is here for the long haul (which appears to be the case), then it is much better for us that we get a top prospect for him now before he turns into Taylor Pyatt. In this sense, the best possible thing the Sabres could have done is move him now.

By the way....Taylor Pyatt had the same numbers as Hodgson his first year in Vancouver!

I am VERY happy for Kassian and Grangnani. I think Gragnani was very smooth when playing off of instincts in the playoffs. I have seen way to much over the years...and so has Vancouver as they come to pick the pockets again. This time with an untarnished prospect in Kassian.

Vancouver is very strong on the left so Kassian will have a good shot on the right which isn't as strong.

Can anyone show me game tapes of Kassian in Juniors or the AHL where he was this gritty, physical player, always strong on the puck, constantly winning puck battles, and finishing his checks? Where is it? It wasn't there in juniors, the JWC, AHL, or NHL. I'm glad he can take a punch and won't back down when challenged but, like Rob Ray was saying, what's the sense of having great size and physical presence if he wasn't going to bring it every night? Is that on Lindy? I doubt it. Foligno doesn't seem to have any problems playing the physical game that Lindy expects out of those types of players.

From what I can gather from TSN analysts, Kassian will be brought in to add grit and toughness and be a protector in the lineup. That's NOT a role that he's ever played from what I've seen and it has the potential to retard his development if that's all they ask him to do.

GO SABRES!!!

Can anyone show me game tapes of Kassian in Juniors or the AHL where he was this gritty, physical player, always strong on the puck, constantly winning puck battles, and finishing his checks? Where is it? It wasn't there in juniors, the JWC, AHL, or NHL. I'm glad he can take a punch and won't back down when challenged but, like Rob Ray was saying, what's the sense of having great size and physical presence if he wasn't going to bring it every night? Is that on Lindy? I doubt it. Foligno doesn't seem to have any problems playing the physical game that Lindy expects out of those types of players.

From what I can gather from TSN analysts, Kassian will be brought in to add grit and toughness and be a protector in the lineup. That's NOT a role that he's ever played from what I've see and it has the potential to retard his development if that's all they ask him to do.

GO SABRES!!!

I can't say that I've seen any of his OHL games. I;ve had to go by the scouting reports we all have access to and his reputation. I will say that I liked what I saw in WJC games that I was able to attend. I don't think he's shown any of that at the pro level though. My honest opinion of him has changed. I'm starting to believe that he got his rep simply because he knew he could bully most of the rest of the OHL because he was so much more physically developed than everyone else.

I readily admit that Kassian could still become what we wanted him to be. And that is my biggest concern with this trade. My gut tells me that it won;t happen and we'll come out on top in this deal.

I can't say that I've seen any of his OHL games. I;ve had to go by the scouting reports we all have access to and his reputation. I will say that I liked what I saw in WJC games that I was able to attend. I don't think he's shown any of that at the pro level though. My honest opinion of him has changed. I'm starting to believe that he got his rep simply because he knew he could bully most of the rest of the OHL because he was so much more physically developed than everyone else.

That's always the big concern when drafting a "tough" 18 year old. Maybe they're only tough compared to the other teenagers that they're bigger than because they developed a little faster. Once that natural advantage is gone, what are they?

I'm still liking Rob Ray's point about how Kaleta showed up in the NHL and was immediately a lunatic driving people nuts. He didn't need to "find his game", he just brought it. Tropp gives me that same vibe. Kassian was just sorta "there" on most nights.

I readily admit that Kassian could still become what we wanted him to be. And that is my biggest concern with this trade. My gut tells me that it won;t happen and we'll come out on top in this deal.

Well, I am willing to admit that even if Kassian becomes that player, if Hodgson does also, then I will think we got the better of it, regardless. He's just a far better prospect and has been since he was drafted, at a position of far greater need for this team.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived