Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Kassian 5 - Hodgson 3 in goals......interestingly, neither has an assist....

And if I recall, only one of Hodgson's goals actually went in off the blade of his stick.

Now, the other two were certaily the result of some good hard work in front of the net, but I think we were all hoping to see some genuine scoring touch and playmaking skills (read: assists) from this guy. It really is telling that he's on a line with two proven veteran goal producers and hasn't managed one assist yet.

The question I have:

If Hodgson is not making an impact on the ice, just how good are Vanek and Pominville?

One of the top lines in the league, and basically playing a man down.

If Grigorenko improves this year and next and ends up being a difference maker on that line...

The question I have:

If Hodgson is not making an impact on the ice, just how good are Vanek and Pominville?

One of the top lines in the league, and basically playing a man down.

When you watch the game look at Hodgson's play away from the puck. Watch how he pulls defenders away from play that Vanek is making, things like that. He's got hockey smarts.

When you watch the game look at Hodgson's play away from the puck. Watch how he pulls defenders away from play that Vanek is making, things like that. He's got hockey smarts.

Agreed, watching him in the rochester games and the scrimmage earlier this year (the only live games i've seen) he makes a lot of subtle plays to get teammates in good position to make plays. He does have a tendency to force passes to tight places but that should hopefully improve with confidence and experience.

Hodgson IS skating away from the play a lot harder this year. Last year he floated out there for the most part. You make a good point.

This thread is just fun, because it brings so much of what we have all debated about together into one transaction and followthrough:

On my end:

Darcy loves undersized skill guys

Lindy tries to break down physical and emotional players into robots

Sabres can't develop a physical forward

Sabres trade for monotone nice guy and trade away personality

Sabres need a center but go and get another undersized one to be 1+2

Foligno was on fire when playing on instinct but has regressed this year into the Lindy System

Vancouver pickpockets all the Sabres big men. Kassian, Torres, Pyatt, Bernier, Mancari

Sabres fans claim great trade after 2 games and Gary Roberts Technical School of Hair Design

Sabres record and personality of play seemingly not much different than past 6 years

That's why this is fun right now. We should all know that in fairness it will be years before we know the results....but it doesn't stop anyone from predicting the results given history and current importance of each and every game this season.

Hodgson IS skating away from the play a lot harder this year. Last year he floated out there for the most part. You make a good point.

This thread is just fun, because it brings so much of what we have all debated about together into one transaction and followthrough:

On my end:

Darcy loves undersized skill guys

Lindy tries to break down physical and emotional players into robots

Sabres can't develop a physical forward

Sabres trade for monotone nice guy and trade away personality

Foligno was on fire when playing on instinct but has regressed this year into the Lindy System

Vancouver pickpockets all the Sabres big men. Kassian, Torres, Pyatt, Bernier, Mancari

Sabres fans claim great trade after 2 games and Gary Roberts Technical School of Hair Design

Sabres record and personality of play seemingly not much different than past 6 years

That's why this is fun right now. We should all know that in fairness it will be years before we know the results....but it doesn't stop anyone from predicting the results given history and current importance of each and every game this season.

Doesn't love undersized skill guys, but got lucky post lock-out number one when rules changed.

Lindy has always had a whipping boy, and they are never Canadian.

Sabres only began drafting physical forwards so not much experience in developing them. Darcy was out of touch which ties into above until recently.

Yea, and to last 6 years. Same Sh*t, different year.

LR/DR need to move on, but TP tells us they are the best. Beginning to be like the Bills.

Edited by Grumpy

:censored: :wallbash: :doh:

My original response gave me the following error: "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message." There aren't enough emoticons in the world to properly describe the absurdity of those two statements.

My original response gave me the following error: "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message." There aren't enough emoticons in the world to properly describe the absurdity of those two statements.

I hear that while on the Canucks, Hodgson was considered "oversized" but when he got to Buffalo, Ruff made him "undersized"

You're right. What I should say is "soft"

Callahan is undersized.

After that game, I'll keep Hodgson thank you very much. Vanek is playing really well and I believe it is a direct result of putting Hodgson as his center (rather that Roy)

Still not super thrilled with Hodgson. He's on the ice for a ton of the goals scored against us. Hopefully he learns a thing or two from Poms and Vanek because it's scary to see him on the ice when the puck is in our end.

Still not super thrilled with Hodgson. He's on the ice for a ton of the goals scored against us. Hopefully he learns a thing or two from Poms and Vanek because it's scary to see him on the ice when the puck is in our end.

To be fair CoHo has been making bad plays defensivily against some really good offensive players. I think that will work its self out with some time with Pommer

To be fair CoHo has been making bad plays defensivily against some really good offensive players. I think that will work its self out with some time with Pommer

Right. Young players with offensive upside generally need to learn defense. Hope that happens with Hodgson. (It's not like Pominville was a well rounded player when he came into the league either.)

Right. Young players with offensive upside generally need to learn defense. Hope that happens with Hodgson. (It's not like Pominville was a well rounded player when he came into the league either.)

Vanek said as much in one of this post-game interviews - he praised Hodgson and said their line still needs to work on some things. I think Hodgson is going to be quite fine; he's not a lazy SOB not willing to put in the work, that's for sure. And, being between 29 and 26, he's going to learn a ton about how to play the game.

After that game, I'll keep Hodgson thank you very much. Vanek is playing really well and I believe it is a direct result of putting Hodgson as his center (rather that Roy)

Vanek & Pominiville are carrying this team as they did before anyone even heard of Cody Hodgson.

Vanek & Pominiville are carrying this team as they did before anyone even heard of Cody Hodgson.

Vanek & Pominville are playing the very best they ever have in their careers......i'm absolutely giving Cody alot of credit for that.

also let it be known that Cody attends an Elite Off Season training program where many of the young NHL superstars go to train. it is conducted by former NHL player Gary Roberts (scary gary).

steven stamkos, jeff skinner, jordan staal, james neal all attend to name a few....

If you sign up with Roberts, dedication and discipline are not options.

Roberts has no time for clients who aren't serious about strictly following his way, including his three-month training program, which stresses three phases of high-intensity, high-endurance training, and his strict all-organic diet.

The initial phase stresses general strengthening and corrective exercises designed to fix nagging injuries or imbalances that might have developed during an 82-game NHL season. The second phase is focused on strength and power, and the third phase is structured to provide the speed and endurance necessary to be prepared for training camp.

Edited by papazoid

Yeah, but last night by far the worst D plays were by Myers and Leopold - they stuck out a lot worse than CoHo.

I wouldn't say that Hodgson is the reason for the success on the 1st line but I wouldn't say Ellis would give the same result. Hodgson is still young yet still can skate with our big two without looking out of place, and can pass and shoot very well. He needs D work, but he does appear to be a help to those two due to his style of play on offense, he's a passer.