Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Oh I absolutely agree that Kassian has yet to show that kind of nastiness or consistent physical play--- and perhaps never will. But the Vancouver media at the very least was selling that 'Jr. Lucic' bill of goods.

Honestly, if the reports of a rift between Vigneault and Hodgson & his agent are true then maybe it is possible the deal was made to unload Cody when a good return was still available. But if they didn't truly believe Kassian was ready to play the role they've asked him to play then they're putting an awful lot of pressure on that young man.

I'm not sure how much of a hurry they were in to get rid of Hodgson, seeing as one East GM spent several days trying to pry him away, even allegedly offering up Schenn (*cough* Burke *cough*) and was told plainly that Hodgson wasn't being moved at the deadline. The only thing I can think of is that with the acquisition of Pahlsson, they wanted their 3rd line to be a checking line, which clearly doesn't fit Hodgson's skill set, and he is neither a 4th liner nor a winger, so he was kind of odd man out this season. But that still doesn't change that they would have rather taken Kassian back than Schenn, which to me says they expected a bigger contribution this season than what they've gotten.

I'm not sure how much of a hurry they were in to get rid of Hodgson, seeing as one East GM spent several days trying to pry him away, even allegedly offering up Schenn (*cough* Burke *cough*) and was told plainly that Hodgson wasn't being moved at the deadline. The only thing I can think of is that with the acquisition of Pahlsson, they wanted their 3rd line to be a checking line, which clearly doesn't fit Hodgson's skill set, and he is neither a 4th liner nor a winger, so he was kind of odd man out this season. But that still doesn't change that they would have rather taken Kassian back than Schenn, which to me says they expected a bigger contribution this season than what they've gotten.

Outstanding post!

If the Canucks turned down Schenn for Cody and then turned it into Kass, then Gillis should be canned.

I think the Sabres win this trade 100% and by a mile.

I said weeks ago on this thread that this was an incredibly ballsy move by Darcy.

If Kassian tanks — despite the "ZK concept" we were all in love with —it is solid evidence that Regier is not always paralyzed by overvaluing his own players.

I said weeks ago on this thread that this was an incredibly ballsy move by Darcy.

If Kassian tanks — despite the "ZK concept" we were all in love with —it is solid evidence that Regier is not always paralyzed by overvaluing his own players.

Ironically, it appears that the very person that accused DR of overvaluing his players earlier in the season, did the very same thing with one of his own in the form of Burke offering up Schenn for Hodgson and getting turned down by the Canucks. That Burke is a genius.

GO SABRES!!!

The trade is not susceptible of evaluation for at least a year. That said, Regier made a gutsy move regardless, given ZK's fanbase in Buffalo. Whether it was a smart gutsy move, we won't know for a while. Maybe even for a few years.

Ironically, it appears that the very person that accused DR of overvaluing his players earlier in the season, did the very same thing with one of his own in the form of Burke offering up Schenn for Hodgson and getting turned down by the Canucks. That Burke is a genius.

GO SABRES!!!

Burke is an ass and keeps proving it. And I'm not saying this to stick up for DR.

Burke is an ass and keeps proving it. And I'm not saying this to stick up for DR.

You have to love the annual Burke post season comment where he says he rejected an multiple first round picks in exchange for a trainer and a stick boy. You can time you watch by it.

GO SABRES!!!

If Burke still wants Hodgson for Schenn, I'll be willing to drive Cody to Toronto myself.

If Burke still wants Hodgson for Schenn, I'll be willing to drive Cody to Toronto myself.

If Luke Schenn were a Sabre, you'd be constantly ripping him for either regressing or stagnating, saying how he's overhyped and should be traded for something more proven, and using it as an instrument to rip Ruff's coaching and player development. But since he's not a Sabre, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and should be acquired by any means necessary.

• Like (+1) 6

Gotta love your dedication. First few weeks of the off-season and you're still hittin' the weights, training hard, and maintaining your fine mid-season form. Keep up the good work.

GO SABRES!!!

If Luke Schenn were a Sabre, you'd be constantly ripping him for either regressing or stagnating, saying how he's overhyped and should be traded for something more proven, and using it as an instrument to rip Ruff's coaching and player development. But since he's not a Sabre, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and should be acquired by any means necessary.

Sounds about right.

agreed. I do not think Hodgson for Schenn would be beneficial to us at all, and in fact would be a set back, let alone the fact that Schenn isn't that good.

Schenn is probably a guy that was moved up too quickly. He probably would have benefited more from a couple of seasons in the AHL, rather than playing 3rd pairing minutes.

Tough kid, who looks lost half the time in my opinion. And for a kid projected as a shut-down player he was just brutal on the PK. He could turn it around, but no doubt Burkie would love to unload that contract if he could get a good return, esp. given how Gardiner looks to be the #4 guy.

Thank goodness you don't make the moves in Buffalo. I think you need to give Hodgson a fair shake and not judge him on one month of hockey. Maybe Schenn would be a good player in Buffalo as he was a teammate of Myers in Kelowna. But maybe Hodgson is a decent top 6 forward that this team needs. We scored very little this year.

I am not ready to give up on Hodgson yet. But I would take Schenn too but not for Hodgson.

The Canucks would've been better off taking Schenn for Hodgson rather than the trade they made.

Thank goodness you don't make the moves in Buffalo. I think you need to give Hodgson a fair shake and not judge him on one month of hockey. Maybe Schenn would be a good player in Buffalo as he was a teammate of Myers in Kelowna. But maybe Hodgson is a decent top 6 forward that this team needs. We scored very little this year.

I am not ready to give up on Hodgson yet. But I would take Schenn too but not for Hodgson.

The Canucks would've been better off taking Schenn for Hodgson rather than the trade they made.

Now why would you say that when it's so clear that Vigneault has 'unruined' him? Clearly Kassian just needed to get out from under Lindy's yoke and provide the Canucks with his Lucic-like grit and propel them to the cup.

It's not cool to disrespect The Concept like that.

GO SABRES!!!

Don't be silly, that would require Deluca having a reasonable, fair, thought out opinion as opposed to hating everything.

Don't be silly, that would require Deluca having a reasonable, fair, thought out opinion as opposed to hating everything.

I wouldn't say he hates everything. In fact he loves a bunch of stuff. (he should take that as a compliment)

Schenn is probably a guy that was moved up too quickly. He probably would have benefited more from a couple of seasons in the AHL, rather than playing 3rd pairing minutes.

Tough kid, who looks lost half the time in my opinion. And for a kid projected as a shut-down player he was just brutal on the PK. He could turn it around, but no doubt Burkie would love to unload that contract if he could get a good return, esp. given how Gardiner looks to be the #4 guy.

The leash has to be pretty short there at this point. Winnipeg has to be happy that they didn't give up on Bogosian prior to this season. Those two two careers looked like near mirror images up until this season.