Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

IMO. Ennis does not get an offer sheet. Ennis gets somewhere under 3 million on a three or four year deal.

I'd have to look at what deals are expiring in the next 2,3,4 years that keep a center at that position.

But see, that's still quite an offer and goes back to my original point. Numbers don't lie. Ennis gets that much, and we'll have to subtract more than Brown will add. I like Tropp more and more every day :)

I don't care about the stats, although the most important stat -- playoff wins -- heavily favors Drury.

Pominville hasn't even been Captain for an entire regular season yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems like you were just making the point that Pominville and Drury aren't even comparable right now.

While on the topic of centers, it's possible that Ennis is a #1 center. In the GDT I did a quick stat comparison to Giroux, and it matches up really well. In Giroux's first full season he played wing and had 47 points in 82 games while averging 16:37 of ice time (previous year he played 42 games for 27 points). Ennis' first season on wing he had 49 points in 82 games while averaging 15:40 of ice time (previous season 9 points in 10 games). Giroux's second full season is when he moved to center and he ended with 76 points in 82 games averaging 19:24 of ice time. Ennis this season he has 29 points in 43 games while averaging 15:51 of ice time...and we all know if I wasn't too lazy to parse out the numbers, they'd be much more impressive only counting his games at center. Is Giroux a #1 center? Yes. Does Ennis have an eerily similar skill set and career production? Yes. Maybe we caught lightning in a bottle.

I love this comparison. I've been incredibly optimistic about Ennis's future ever since he flipped the puck over that Philly defenseman and got a scoring chance. Ever since he came back from that high ankle sprain, he's been looking more and more like a first line center. Fingers crossed.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Here is a decent read on a writeup of Hodgson prior to the infamous 2008 draft. The second portion is very interesting as I did not realize he was best friends with Matt Duchene growing up and this writer refers to him as being Chris Drury like with clutch goal scoring, leadership and the ability to line up against the oppositions top line. Good read if you have time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3381608

As some of you guys know, Vancouver is my 2nd favorite team. It's safe to say I've watched more 'Nuck games than anyone else here, and here's what I can tell you about Hodgson: He's fully recovered from surgery to repair a ruptured disc as evident by his play this year. He's a decent skater. Not great, but decent, and certainly decent-enough to fit in Buffalo's preferred push-the-puck breakout offense. He has some intangibles when he has the puck and it's obvious he can see the ice really well, he just "gets it." He has a strong slapshot and a deceptively quick release on wristers and snap shots. Plus, and this is something we haven't seen much of in Buffalo, he finds the back of the net. He's makes good reads on the rush and can maintain possesion when in the O zone. He isn't a power forward or banger but he's shown some feistiness and a willingness to go to the ugly areas of the ice. And while it's unlikely he'll ever be a force in his own end, he doesn't shy away from playing in the D zone and shows hustle on the backcheck. And lastly, so you can sound like the smartest guy in the pub, his last name is pronounced Hodson - the g is silent.

While Kass may very well end up having a better career, the amount of talent and finish Hodgson brings to the Sabres TODAY makes this a solid trade. Hodgson will be a very good player for a long time and as others have said, toughness is easier to find in the offseason than skill, and Hodgson is years ahead of Kass.

Trust me, you'll fall in love with this kid, just give him a chance.

It's downright funny looking back through the first few pages of this thread. One person posted twice that he was "raging" over the trade.

But now that you've all had a chance to see a bit of Hodgson, is he a step above Kass? Do you guys like his game?

Since when is 6' 185 lbs small? Ryan Callahan seems to do okay.

Since I see the more physical dman run him over like he is Roy at times. I got no problem with his physical play. But when he is getting checked he either doesn't have the balance to maintain thru it or he has no clue how to take a check.

Since I see the more physical dman run him over like he is Roy at times. I got no problem with his physical play. But when he is getting checked he either doesn't have the balance to maintain thru it or he has no clue how to take a check.

Sure he gets beat on the check sometimes, but so does Leino. I think checking is one of Tropps strengths. There aren't many on the team who can check better.

This thread has drifted a bit from strictly a discussion re: Kassian-Hodgson, but I saw this Hockey News article this afternoon and thought the notion that Hodgson trains under Gary Roberts in the offseason probably should dispel any real concerns about a bad attitude:

http://www.thehockey...-in-201213.html

"Not surprisingly, the newest Sabres weapon is also a client of ‘Scary’ Gary and whatever subterfuge has been out there in the past about Hodgson’s attitude can pretty much be tossed out the window based on the company he keeps in the summer. Simply put, Roberts does not mess around. What the former NHLer preaches is no less than a lifestyle decision, where players commit themselves to both rigorous workouts and nutrition rites involving organic food and the right kinds of it."

Wow, I forgot about Cheechoo. I had to look up his stats to see what the hell happened to him. Man, his stats look so Boyesesque.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31215

A little late but just throwing it out there that Ennis could very well be the recipient of an offer sheet should he make it to July 1st without a deal. I mean, Stamkos didn't get one, but probably because it's too huge of an investment for most teams to make, even if you do manage to outbid Tampa Bay (who I'm sure would match whatever offer he got). Ennis, on the other hand, is no Stamkos yet, so obviously we're not talking $9-10 million here, but instead more like $3-5 million. I wouldn't be shocked if some team has been paying attention and offered Ennis a $5 million or so offer sheet, banking on continued development and production. That would throw a hitch in Darcy's plan, I'm sure. Ennis is probably penciled in somewhere around $3 mil.

However, don't panic. I'm sure Pegula and co. have made re-signing him priority #1 and it will be taken care of prior to his ever reaching RFA status. CBA experts correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sabres can sign Ennis at any time prior to July 1st (as well as after) -- so I'm sure the deal will get done before a team has the chance to talk to him. I certainly don't think Ennis wants to go anywhere, and Pegula will take care of him.

Edited by thesportsbuff

Wow, I forgot about Cheechoo. I had to look up his stats to see what the hell happened to him. Man, his stats look so Boyesesque.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=31215

If im not mistaken Cheechoo won the Rocket Richard and the next season tore up his knee pretty horribly, with his contract he had to be buried in Binghamton after being traded and then by the time that contract was up he was older and had terrible knee problems, he surely benefitted from the thornton trade but I do think he could have continued to be a great goal scorer if not for the injuries and bad luck.

A little late but just throwing it out there that Ennis could very well be the recipient of an offer sheet should he make it to July 1st without a deal. I mean, Stamkos didn't get one, but probably because it's too huge of an investment for most teams to make, even if you do manage to outbid Tampa Bay (who I'm sure would match whatever offer he got). Ennis, on the other hand, is no Stamkos yet, so obviously we're not talking $9-10 million here, but instead more like $3-5 million. I wouldn't be shocked if some team has been paying attention and offered Ennis a $5 million or so offer sheet, banking on continued development and production. That would throw a hitch in Darcy's plan, I'm sure. Ennis is probably penciled in somewhere around $3 mil.

However, don't panic. I'm sure Pegula and co. have made re-signing him priority #1 and it will be taken care of prior to his ever reaching RFA status. CBA experts correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sabres can sign Ennis at any time prior to July 1st (as well as after) -- so I'm sure the deal will get done before a team has the chance to talk to him. I certainly don't think Ennis wants to go anywhere, and Pegula will take care of him.

I highly doubt an offer sheet and if it is anywhere over 3.1 million we get a first and a third round pick. SO i take the picks in that case. Still it isnt going to happen

I highly doubt an offer sheet and if it is anywhere over 3.1 million we get a first and a third round pick. SO i take the picks in that case. Still it isnt going to happen

You'd take the picks over Ennis? Kid has practically single handedly turned around the season since converting to center and you'd give up on him over half a million dollars of cap space?

As I said, an offer sheet WON'T happen because Regier will get the deal done before he reaches RFA... but if Ennis did reach RFA status, I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone gave him a sheet.

You'd take the picks over Ennis? Kid has practically single handedly turned around the season since converting to center and you'd give up on him over half a million dollars of cap space?

As I said, an offer sheet WON'T happen because Regier will get the deal done before he reaches RFA... but if Ennis did reach RFA status, I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone gave him a sheet.

How could you not be shocked??? There has been 6 offer sheets in the last 14 years, obviously due to the CBA but if tyler ennis is the 7th that is pretty shocking. If someone said at the trade deadline that you get a 1st and a third for ennis, you make that deal. Its not giving up on him it is getting a higher return. Im not saying I wouldnt sign him around 3 million, but if a team wants to take him they are going to have to offer him higher than we are willing to offer, so if they go with that 5 million dollar sheet (which they wont) the compensation is much better than overpaying. I think ennis is awesome but not at 5 million a year.

Edited by cvanvol

How could you not be shocked??? There has been 6 offer sheets in the last 14 years, obviously due to the CBA but if tyler ennis is the 7th that is pretty shocking. If someone said at the trade deadline that you get a 1st and a third for ennis, you make that deal. Its not giving up on him it is getting a higher return. Im not saying I wouldnt sign him around 3 million, but if a team wants to take him they are going to have to offer him higher than we are willing to offer, so if they go with that 5 million dollar sheet (which they wont) the compensation is much better than overpaying. I think ennis is awesome but not at 5 million a year.

Chosing the 1st and a 3rd is going to be dependent on two things IMO, 1. where in the 1st round that pick comes from and 2. whether you are willing to wait another 2-3 years for the picks to develop to the point where Ennis is at today. If those picks are late round picks I'm matching the offer sheet. And if I think my team is a player, maybe two away, I also match because usually the window for a Cup only opens for a short time.

Obviously, there is going to be disagreement about how close we are and where exactly in the 1st round is the line drawn.

Chosing the 1st and a 3rd is going to be dependent on two things IMO, 1. where in the 1st round that pick comes from and 2. whether you are willing to wait another 2-3 years for the picks to develop to the point where Ennis is at today. If those picks are late round picks I'm matching the offer sheet. And if I think my team is a player, maybe two away, I also match because usually the window for a Cup only opens for a short time.

Obviously, there is going to be disagreement about how close we are and where exactly in the 1st round is the line drawn.

Obviously it is dependant, but I dont think ennis should be getting Jordan Staal type money, I love the kid and he might get that type of money in the future. That is very dependant on his ability to keep this play up and his ability to stay healthy. Being so small it is a lot harder to stay healthy.

Agree with Benedict. Tropp is a nice asset to have. I do not believe he is a top six asset right now, but he nice to have as a floater.

Hodgson is at best a three, with two potential. Whether his game improves is unknown. His vision is not what I had hoped it wouild be. I know it takes time to develop line chemistry. That line probably needs a legit top six winger , a physical winger that can pass and score to play opposite Vanek. A Pom, with more size and competence on the boards. Right now I think Boyes would be a better fit than Tropp..

I like the Ennis line but fear what will happen to it against a physical team in the playoffs after a few dozen big hits. I think it has the potential to get disassembled rather easily or revert to invisibility status if Ennis cannot take the hits. It would be interesting to see it play againsts Pitts, Philly, and Bos shutdown lines.

I resign Ennis all day long at 3 +/- a bit and take the picks if it goes 4+

This team still needs a legit one center and a few upgrades

Edited by waldo

Obviously it is dependant, but I dont think ennis should be getting Jordan Staal type money, I love the kid and he might get that type of money in the future. That is very dependant on his ability to keep this play up and his ability to stay healthy. Being so small it is a lot harder to stay healthy.

:blink: I've never seen that before. Martin St. Louis is one of the smallest guys in the league and he hasn't missed more than a couple games in the 10 seasons he's been playing regularily in the league. Obviously the amount of the offer sheet plays a big roll in if you match but I'd be pissed if we lose him and only get back a 1st and 3rd.

Agree with Benedict. Tropp is a nice asset to have. I do not believe it is a top six asset but nice to have a a floater.

Hodgson, right now , is at best a three, possibly two center. Whether his game improves is unknown. His vision is not what I had hoped it wouild be.I know it takes time to develop line chemistry. That line probably needs a legit top six winger , a physical winger that can pass and score to play opposite Vanek. A Pom, with more competence on the boards.

I like the Ennis line but fear what will happen to it against a physical team in the playoffs after a few dozen big hits. I think it has the postential to get disassembled rather easily or revert to invisibility.

hmmm..... IDK i feel like the ennis line plays best when the other team is playing physical.... foligno and staff have been great along the boards and the way they cycle the puck is really impressive. I think the vanek line will disappear in your scenario.

:blink: I've never seen that before. Martin St. Louis is one of the smallest guys in the league and he hasn't missed more than a couple games in the 10 seasons he's been playing regularily in the league. Obviously the amount of the offer sheet plays a big roll in if you match but I'd be pissed if we lose him and only get back a 1st and 3rd.

come on really? St.Louis is the exception not the rule.

Agree with Benedict. Tropp is a nice asset to have. I do not believe it is a top six asset but nice to have a a floater.

Hodgson, right now , is at best a three, possibly two center. Whether his game improves is unknown. His vision is not what I had hoped it wouild be.I know it takes time to develop line chemistry. That line probably needs a legit top six winger , a physical winger that can pass and score to play opposite Vanek. A Pom, with more competence on the boards.

I like the Ennis line but fear what will happen to it against a physical team in the playoffs after a few dozen big hits. I think it has the postential to get disassembled rather easily or revert to invisibility.

Give him time to get use to his new wingers. The kid is only 22 and has been playing very well lately IMO. A center with 3 goals and 4 assists in the past 5 games with the games being of high importance is someone I badly want on my team.

come on really? St.Louis is the exception not the rule.

Well what small guys are more likely to get hurt? I've never noticed that.

The last 7 years under the new CBA are all that really matters and there have been 6 offer sheets in that time. None since 2010.

Give him time to get use to his new wingers. The kid is only 22 and has been playing very well lately IMO. A center with 3 goals and 4 assists in the past 5 games with the games being of high importance is someone I badly want on my team.

Well what small guys are more likely to get hurt? I've never noticed that.

Gerbe and Ennis

The last 7 years under the new CBA are all that really matters and there have been 6 offer sheets in that time. None since 2010.

I did say "obviously due to the CBA" dont you think for ennis to get a sheet would be pretty shocking when less than one a year is handed out and none in the last two eyars though? that is my only argument

Gerbe and Ennis

so because Ennis accidentally slid foot first into the goal post he is more injury prone? And Gerbe getting blasted face first into the boards makes him more injury prone? I can't agree. If the injuries were things like shoulder injuries or even something along the lines of getting banged up I would be with you. but considering Ennis has had 1 injury, not really sure that counts. I mean Tyler Myers got injured so maybe really big guys get injured too? Roy has been healthy every year minus last season. Injuries are sometimes chronic (TIM CONNOLLY) but in all honesty its usually just an unlucky play here or there.

Gerbe and Ennis

Despite his tough effort and love from this board, Gerbe is a very boarderline NHLer as he's just too small. Yes, Ennis having a freak ankle injury proves that small players are more prone to injury. Bigger guys have those tougher ankles I guess....

so because Ennis accidentally slid foot first into the goal post he is more injury prone? And Gerbe getting blasted face first into the boards makes him more injury prone? I can't agree. If the injuries were things like shoulder injuries or even something along the lines of getting banged up I would be with you. but considering Ennis has had 1 injury, not really sure that counts. I mean Tyler Myers got injured so maybe really big guys get injured too? Roy has been healthy every year minus last season. Injuries are sometimes chronic (TIM CONNOLLY) but in all honesty its usually just an unlucky play here or there.

Really Big guys do tend to get injured more

Haha, good point.