Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I'd love to have Hodgson, Adam, Goose/UFA and Turnbull as the center depth next season with Suhnder and Catenacci developing on the farm. Chewy and McCormick providing decent depth. I don't need Ellis in the conversation anymore. Suddenly the center depth, without making any moves this summer doesn't look completely void.

Rumor going around that Burke offered Schenn straight up for Hodgson and they didn't take it.

This parallels the other rumor about another team that wanted Hodgson but were turned down. It had to have been Burke. Schenn has been a healthy scratch this season. And he has the nerve to criticize Darcy for overvalueing his players? Watching his PC yesterday, he looked like he had just eaten something disagreeable.

GO SABRES!!!

That's surprising. Vancouver must have wanted another piece besides Schenn.

Who knows. Maybe they just legitimately didn't plan on moving Hodgson, or simply had their eyes on Kassian. From listening to their GM, I get the sense that they were after a big forward who can contribute now (at least in their view). I'd really like to know the Hodgson/Kassian trade went down, who contacted who, if it grew from talks about other players, or whatever. But doubt we'll ever get that information.

This parallels the other rumor about another team that wanted Hodgson but were turned down. It had to have been Burke. Schenn has been a healthy scratch this season. And he has the nerve to criticize Darcy for overvalueing his players? Watching his PC yesterday, he looked like he had just eaten something disagreeable.

GO SABRES!!!

Yes, and I loved every minute of it. I have some passionate hatred for the Leafs, and Burke annoys me with always mouthing off about one thing or another. I respect Burke a lot, I think he's damn good at what he does, but he's a blowhard. He's almost like Rex Ryan to me, just stop talking and let your work speak for itself.

a fair point. but, man, that's a smallish set of centers (adam notwithstanding).

i have enjoyed seeing ennis play some center, but i would prefer that they put him back on a wing.

Drury was average-sized and Briere was small. Hodgson is average-sized and Ennis is small. It could work.

Plus I think I'd rather have big wingers since they're the guys who go into the corners. Smaller guys like Hodgson and Ennis aren't big enough to stand in front of the net and take a beating but they both seem smart enough to find open ice in the offensive zone.

Who knows. Maybe they just legitimately didn't plan on moving Hodgson, or simply had their eyes on Kassian. From listening to their GM, I get the sense that they were after a big forward who can contribute now (at least in their view). I'd really like to know the Hodgson/Kassian trade went down, who contacted who, if it grew from talks about other players, or whatever. But doubt we'll ever get that information.

My feeling is that Vancouver really wanted Kassian and made the first proposal (not Hodgson) and the Sabres countered with OK, but we want Hodgson.

GO SABRES!!!

as was mentioned this would be the irony of all ironies.

Most of those people never played a game of hockey. :blink: A better poll would have been Kassian vs Hodgson. My guess is the general public would go 50/50 on that one

I think that would be even more lopsided in favor of Hodgson. Gragnani is better than Sulzer, and younger too.

what amazes me is the negative critiques of kassian after 1/2 half of a season on 2 different teams for 2 different coachs. apparently because he hasn't gotten into 25 fights, scored 25 goals, gotten 25 assists, have 100 body checks/hits and doesn't play 20+ minutes per night and kill penalties, all before he just turned 21, he is NEVER going to develop and he is what he is SOFT. you people have got to be kidding me, what the hell do you expect from a rookie only half way into his first season. it's amazing how fans want him to act and perform as a 10 year seasoned veteran at 20 years old and when he doesn't and needs experience, cut him loose he is never going to be any good. REALLY!

Oh....what fun is reality?

Facts:

At 21 years old last year, Cody Hodgson in his 20 games with Vancouver had 1 Goal and 2 Assists

At 20 years old this year, Zack Kassian in his first 6 games with Buffalo had 3 goals and 2 assists

You know, those first 6 games where there were tons of injuries but guys like Paul Sczchura were winning games for the Sabres while NEVER having a practice with Lindy Ruff......

Drury was average-sized and Briere was small. Hodgson is average-sized and Ennis is small. It could work.

This same thought occurred to me--- particularly when Vigneault was quoted as saying Hodgson's leadership qualities played a major part in Vancouver's decision to draft him, and his history as captain of the Canadian WJ gold medal team. Of course, Hodgson's skill and on ice vision are miles ahead of Drury, but there are parallels in physicality and temperament.

I wouldn't get too excited or upset about the lines tomorrow because all it will take is one bad period of hockey for Lindy to mix it up...again and again and again. Yes all coaches change lines. I just think Lindy has an extremely itchy trigger finger.

It is what it is.

I feel the Same way. Lindy is always switch up the lines to fast I think. In my opinion, Adam should have never been taken of the first line as he was doing very well.

Roy needs to go now that we have Hodgson because Ennis has been playing extremely well since changing to center.

And what if Hodgson turns into Mark Messier (or insert the name of whichever great 80s/90s center you'd like)?

My rambling comes from a place where fans like me have coveted a true power forward like Neely for so long that they've completely bought into the fantasy 'concept of Zack Kassian', as it's being discussed, rather than the reality and are feeling a sense of loss from feeling so close. It's entirely possible Kassian is Kyle Beach or Steve Bernier--- but even if Kass is Neely and Hodgson fulfills his potential, it's tough for a lot of us that the Sabres' have literally never had that guy. Particularly worse if it turns out we traded Neely for Pierre Turgeon, or worse, Tim Connolly. It's an emotional time after the rollercoaster this franchise has had since the lockout.

Edited by Punch

Word on the street is that after succumbing to Boston's physical style of play, the Canucks developed an almost palpable size inferiority complex. ESPN analysts believe they were desparately trying to make a deal for Steve Ott of Dallas, but when that didn't happen, they made late moves for Samual Pahlsson and Zack Kassian.

Bringing in Pahlsson (and already having Sedin, Kesler, and alternate captain Malhotra) meant that Hodgson would see even less playing time, making the blue chipper expendable in the short term for another large body in Kassian.

Luke Schenn, talented as he may be, wouldn't have fit with the moves Vancouver thought they needed to make: adding size up front on the checking lines.

Facts:

At 21 years old last year, Cody Hodgson in his 20 games with Vancouver had 1 Goal and 2 Assists

At 20 years old this year, Zack Kassian in his first 6 games with Buffalo had 3 goals and 2 assists

You know, those first 6 games where there were tons of injuries but guys like Paul Sczchura were winning games for the Sabres while NEVER having a practice with Lindy Ruff......

You're right, it was all the guys who didn't practice with Ruff. Vanek and Pominville were just a couple of losers not impacting games. But Chewy, there's a difference maker! :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 2

Facts:

Nice. I can't believe every single NHL stat reporting website completely missed 12 games that Cody played. They all have him listed as 8 games for the 10-11 season.

• Like (+1) 2

Dunno yet about the trade and I think you cant judge who won the trade until 2013 or even 2014. If Kassian turns out to be that Power Forward who can be nasty and score, its a great pick up for the Nucks. Other than that, if the Sabres turn into that Detroit-like franchise ,Hodgson can have a bright bright future in Buffalo.

One thing I am curious about - the leak that Darcy wanted a first for Gaustad before the deadline.

Very un-Darcy like. I wonder who leaked. I have a hunch it was intentional.

Intentional, yes, but not necessarily from the Sabres camp - it could have come from those trying to beat Darcy down by focusing public opinion on what some thought was a "ridiculous" asking price.

• Like (+1) 1

Most of those people never played a game of hockey. :blink: A better poll would have been Kassian vs Hodgson. My guess is the general public would go 50/50 on that one

Maybe I shouldn't mention other sabres' boards for loyalty reasons, but for this post in particular, I'll reference HFBoards, where it's about 90/10 in favor of Hodgson. That is a board that focuses primarily on prospects, and literally every Canuck fan is crying that they got fleeced, and Sabres fans are rejoicing to get rid of an under-performer. The general public knows nothing about hockey, but I think that most neutral hockey fans aren't seeing much production in Kassian's NHL performances.

One thing I am curious about - the leak that Darcy wanted a first for Gaustad before the deadline.

Very un-Darcy like. I wonder who leaked. I have a hunch it was intentional.

I addressed this issue on this board that, IMO, that getting the word out that the price for Goose was a 1st rounder was good, but the key to getting the deal done was the talk of the possible extension to Goose. The media ran with it and it did not go away. The possiblity of the extension, IMO, was the fact that kept the price as a 1st rounder. Someone with cup asperations and with pending free agency issues (read Nashville) would almost certainly bite if DR held out long enough.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

What will be interesting is to see how Kassian plays for the Canucks. WIll he come out hitting/fighting at the risk of taking penalties or will he play like the last few weeks with the Sabres ...good puck control along the boards with virtually no hitting. Now that he's no longer a Sabre, I'd like to ask him if Lindy asked him to tone down the hitting and showcase the skill side of his game. I personally think the caged beast will be released ...

Edited by gramps