How To Fix The Sabres Gaping Hole At Center

CallawaySabres

I really think this deserves it's own thread since it is what everybody is trying to fix. Forget all the other positions on the market and let's try and figure out how to get this team over the hump once and for all. Right now, The Sabres have Roy, Ennis, Gaustad and Luke Adam in the mix. Who do you want to keep and how do you fill the voids left once certain players are gone.

Here are some ideas to start off:

Ryan O'Reilly of Col - RFA

http://avalanche.nhl....htm?id=8475158

Sam Gagner of Edm - RFA

http://oilers.nhl.co....htm?id=8474040

Matt Duchene of Col - RFA - I would throw whatever it takes to land this kid. Colorado would be crazy not to lock him up VERY soon......

http://avalanche.nhl....htm?id=8475168

Matt Duchene would be a nice pickup, who knows what it would cost to get him out of Colorado. He's young and having a down year, doubt he's available though

Gagner would be someone I would give serious thought to in Edmonton, maybe see if Edmonton would swap him for Stafford? he has potential and had shown some of it when he was put on the top line with Nugent-Hopkins. Rumors had Edmonton interested in Stafford before, both seem to have shown potential but have struggled to be consistent with it. Worst case, he doesn't work out this season and he can be let go in the offseason clearing cap space

The three players listed are just the same as Derek Roy, w/o the good and bad experiences yet.

I think the only way you get an upgrade at center over the next year is through a trade.

This means giving up a valuable asset. For instance if Crosby comes back full force, this may make Staal expendable. Pittsburgh is always looking for good scoring wingers. Would you give up Vanek or Pominville for him even if there were other asssets to sweeten the pot? San Jose is strong up the middle and needs defensemen.

Colorado is one team that seems to have a surplus at center. I'd gladly have any of their top 3 on my team. I don't see Duchene moving any time soon though.

In my ideal world Buffalo gets Steve Ott from Dallas at the deadline and moves Paul Gaustad. Ott is a slight upgrade over Goose. Vermette *would* have been another target of mine but he's already moved. With Vermette off the market I want to see Jarrett Stoll wearing blue and gold. Ott and Stoll would be a significant upgrade of our bottom 2 centers.

Ennis works just fine for me as a #2 center. And Adam can move to center next season as an injury fill in but play primarily on LW. As for who our other top 6 center is next season? I have no clue who might be available. Or even reasonable to speculate about.

http://www.mynhldraf...Alex-Galchenyuk

This guy had season ending knee surgery and might still be available in the mid-first round. I like him, and he has the Buffalo low-fist pump down already.

He and Gregorinko (sp) have quickly become the fan favorites on this board and rightfully so... drafting is the way to do it, but since Galchenyuk or anyone else we draft will likely be a year + away, I'm leaning towards Sabres just keeping Roy.

He and Gregorinko (sp) have quickly become the fan favorites on this board and rightfully so... drafting is the way to do it, but since Galchenyuk or anyone else we draft will likely be a year + away, I'm leaning towards Sabres just keeping Roy.

Yes. I'm saying we might not have to give anything up (other than time) to fix this problem the right way, drafting.

Gagner has never done anything in this league before that one mythical game. He is small, frequently underachieves, has never scored 20 goals in this league, and has a small stretch of good play in a contract year.

And he is injured a lot.

Buffalo fans would rip him limb from limb.

Well, very few if any teams are looking to deal good players, or let them just walk in FA (And when tehy do walk, there are normally bidding wars for their services)

Sometimes you have to take a chance on players like this and hope they can reach their potential and turn it around for your team.

Some of the underachieving guys might be able to be swapped for your own underachieving guys.

I think Adam is going to be a good center, and Ennis has proven that he is more then capable of playing at that position. I think Roy and Goose need to go even though I like Goose cause he is a great shut down center who defends the best opposing player very well.

Gagner has never done anything in this league before that one mythical game. He is small, frequently underachieves, has never scored 20 goals in this league, and has a small stretch of good play in a contract year.

And he is injured a lot.

Buffalo fans would rip him limb from limb.

So in other words, he'd be a perfect fit for Darcy, Lindy, and the "core"? :wallbash:

All three players are RFAs that will cost significant draft picks to sign to an offer sheet, not exactly a move for a rebuilding team.

OK I changed them to RFAs. Maybe change of scenery is in line for someone else's Roy so that is always an option. As much as I can't stand how Goose just turned it on in the last month, I am starting to think that re-signing him isn't such a bad idea if there are hardly any Centers out there.Time to get creative if he leaves.....

Ennis works just fine for me as a #2 center. And Adam can move to center next season as an injury fill in but play primarily on LW. As for who our other top 6 center is next season? I have no clue who might be available. Or even reasonable to speculate about.

If Adam can work on his two-way game this year, I'd like to see him stick at center in the NHL. I'm not sure that happens if Ruff remains as the Sabres HC, but regardless, I think Ennis and Adam can help us up the middle next year. Not sure what happens with Gaustad in the short term, but I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around on a reasonable contract to shore up the shutdown line again.

Agreed on drafting that center we need but if we trade Roy to the right team we could get a 2nd 1st round pick in the top 20 or so and maybe get our hands on Galchenyuk then or even Faksa if hes still available. Getting at least a 1st for Roy could be extremely beneficial in the long run. If we draft in the top 3/4 I think Grigorenko would be a great pick up.

Draft Prospects - http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=75380

I'd like to keep all 4 guys listed next season and look to add a few as well. We've been playing the try winger x out at center game for so long that it would be nice to go in the opposite direction and have enough centers on the roster that we can play them at wing so we'd have some depth in case of injury. I don't know enough about most of the centers listed to say who we should target, but if the right deal comes along I'd definitely explore any and all options through trades, free agency, and the draft.

Ennis and Adam are definitely keepers in my book and I'd also hold on to Roy for next season unless we got good value in the trade market. I'd be open to resigning Gaustad at his currently salary or a SLIGHT raise but I'd prefer to move him at the deadline for a pick or prospect then roll the dice on be able to bring him back in July. Move as much dead weight as possible at the trade deadline to stockpile picks then draft as many centers as possible as long as the value works out in the draft.

I've had a few posts typed out that I deleted, probably because I'm not sure how to solve the center problem. I'm really not worried about our bottom-6 centers, I think at least conceptually, it's a much easier hole to fill (and others have already suggested reasonable ways to do it). As for top-6, I think the only player we'd have a prayer of prying away from Colorado is Stastny because of his contract, and I'm not interested in paying Derek Roy $6.6 million...unless they take Stafford off our hands.

I think the only realistic way we're fixing our hole at top-6 center is through the draft. I'd personally try to move Roy for an NHL-ready prospect such as Kruger or Pirr (preferably Kruger) and a pick. Short of that I'd take a guy who is maybe a year away, like Sheahan or McNeill. I think we're on the verge of completely playing our way out of the Grigorenko running, so he may not be an option. But if we sell and acquire enough assets, we may be able to use our pick and then trade up elsewhere in the draft by offering some combination of picks and prospects to grab 2 centers in the first round. Being able to add Faksa and Galchenyuk would be wonderful for the franchise's future.

Basically my plan to fix the center spot is more of a 2-3 year plan than an immediate fix. Under this plan next year may be somewhat painful with youth at the position, but should pay dividends in the long run. My ideal would be to move Roy for Kruger and a 2nd or Sheahan and a pick. Next year it would be Ennis-Kruger 1-2 or Ennis-Adam 1-2 with Sheahan being ready for 2013. At the draft my main target would be Galchenyuk (unless we're bad enough for Grigorenko), Faksa being a second option. So next year would be rough (although is it worse than Hecht/Chewy/this year's Roy?) with Ennis on top, Kruger or Adam at the 2 and two really good prospects in the system. By 2013 you'd have Ennis and Kruger/Adam with full years of experience as top pivots, and Sheahan/Galchenyuk/Faksa hopefully ready to come in and contribute. Basically we'd have to tolerate a platoon of #2/3 centers for another season before the young studs were ready, but at that point I think it would be a really exciting group of talent down the middle for us. Even having said that, I think Ennis-Kruger-Stoll-Ott/Gaustad next year may actually be better than what we've had for the majority of this season, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

This is really predicated on my feeling we're going to be picking closer to 8-10 than 2-4...if we're bad enough for Grigorenko I would hope he's an immediate impact player for us and next year wouldn't be quit as patchwork.

I've had a few posts typed out that I deleted, probably because I'm not sure how to solve the center problem. I'm really not worried about our bottom-6 centers, I think at least conceptually, it's a much easier hole to fill (and others have already suggested reasonable ways to do it). As for top-6, I think the only player we'd have a prayer of prying away from Colorado is Stastny because of his contract, and I'm not interested in paying Derek Roy $6.6 million...unless they take Stafford off our hands.

I think the only realistic way we're fixing our hole at top-6 center is through the draft. I'd personally try to move Roy for an NHL-ready prospect such as Kruger or Pirr (preferably Kruger) and a pick. Short of that I'd take a guy who is maybe a year away, like Sheahan or McNeill. I think we're on the verge of completely playing our way out of the Grigorenko running, so he may not be an option. But if we sell and acquire enough assets, we may be able to use our pick and then trade up elsewhere in the draft by offering some combination of picks and prospects to grab 2 centers in the first round. Being able to add Faksa and Galchenyuk would be wonderful for the franchise's future.

Basically my plan to fix the center spot is more of a 2-3 year plan than an immediate fix. Under this plan next year may be somewhat painful with youth at the position, but should pay dividends in the long run. My ideal would be to move Roy for Kruger and a 2nd or Sheahan and a pick. Next year it would be Ennis-Kruger 1-2 or Ennis-Adam 1-2 with Sheahan being ready for 2013. At the draft my main target would be Galchenyuk (unless we're bad enough for Grigorenko), Faksa being a second option. So next year would be rough (although is it worse than Hecht/Chewy/this year's Roy?) with Ennis on top, Kruger or Adam at the 2 and two really good prospects in the system. By 2013 you'd have Ennis and Kruger/Adam with full years of experience as top pivots, and Sheahan/Galchenyuk/Faksa hopefully ready to come in and contribute. Basically we'd have to tolerate a platoon of #2/3 centers for another season before the young studs were ready, but at that point I think it would be a really exciting group of talent down the middle for us. Even having said that, I think Ennis-Kruger-Stoll-Ott/Gaustad next year may actually be better than what we've had for the majority of this season, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

This is really predicated on my feeling we're going to be picking closer to 8-10 than 2-4...if we're bad enough for Grigorenko I would hope he's an immediate impact player for us and next year wouldn't be quit as patchwork.

There is also the potential for Ryan Getzlaf to be available July 2013.

Archived