Has Miller quit on this team, or has he just lost it?

Claude Balls

He only faced 19 shots last night so the defense did it's job keeping the shots down, and he only faced 10 shots after the first period and he looked absolutely pathetic in the shootout. Maybe he is playing for a trade? I have been a huge Miller supporter throughout his career but my support is waning as of late.

He only faced 19 shots last night so the defense did it's job keeping the shots down, and he only faced 10 shots after the first period and he looked absolutely pathetic in the shootout. Maybe he is playing for a trade? I have been a huge Miller supporter throughout his career but my support is waning as of late.

By "as of late" do you mean since the shootout win in NJ and the half dozen games after when he was playing extremely well?

Miller's a one year wonder.

I think Miller is NOT a one-year wonder. I think when we finally get to see him with a team other than this bunch, we will see him excel because he is around people who also want to excel. Complacency is the word in Buffalo, has been ever since those 4 Superbowl losses, and I think Miller heard that garbage coming out of Pegula's mouth when he took ownership, that he thinks Darcy and Lindy are A-OKAY, and said to hell with this whole city. I have nothing to substantiate this feeling, but my gut is usually right on crap like this. And when Pegula had the gall to criticize Miller's goaltending when the rest of the team was playing like dogsnot, I guarantee you, Miller has not recovered from that. I would wanna punch the old boob right in his stupid face for that if I were Miller.

I think Miller is NOT a one-year wonder. I think when we finally get to see him with a team other than this bunch, we will see him excel because he is around people who also want to excel. Complacency is the word in Buffalo, has been ever since those 4 Superbowl losses, and I think Miller heard that garbage coming out of Pegula's mouth when he took ownership, that he thinks Darcy and Lindy are A-OKAY, and said to hell with this whole city. I have nothing to substantiate this feeling, but my gut is usually right on crap like this. And when Pegula had the gall to criticize Miller's goaltending when the rest of the team was playing like dogsnot, I guarantee you, Miller has not recovered from that. I would wanna punch the old boob right in his stupid face for that if I were Miller.

Have you always been a critic of pegula since his declaration of status quo in regards to lindy and darcy? Or was it something that built up throughout this nightmare season? Kinda harsh, but rings very true, even if I don't like admitting it

Have you always been a critic of pegula since his declaration of status quo in regards to lindy and darcy? Or was it something that built up throughout this nightmare season? Kinda harsh, but rings very true, even if I don't like admitting it

I've been wishy washy at times about Lindy, especially after a lively presser, and Darcy a couple times I've found myself second-guessing, especially after it APPEARED that he had done his homework and gotten the best offensive AND best defensive D-men in the Western Conference to come play for him, but for the most part I have wanted both Lindy and Darcy fired, oh, I'd say for five years now. Since the President's Trophy year where we saw the rest of the league start hitting and playing tough and our guys kept playing like a bunch of purse-carrying pansies. I knew there was something wrong then, ask anyone who remembers. When Pegula came here the FIRST thing I thought he'd do would be to fire Darcy and Lindy. The fact that he didn't was upsetting all by itself, but the crap that's fallen out of Pegula's yap since that first day has only made me hate him more than I ever could have hated that hijacker duo Quinn and Golisano. This guy doesn't know squat and he's pretending to, and at least Golisano admitted that he didn't know anything about the game.

I've been wishy washy at times about Lindy, especially after a lively presser, and Darcy a couple times I've found myself second-guessing, especially after it APPEARED that he had done his homework and gotten the best offensive AND best defensive D-men in the Western Conference to come play for him, but for the most part I have wanted both Lindy and Darcy fired, oh, I'd say for five years now. Since the President's Trophy year where we saw the rest of the league start hitting and playing tough and our guys kept playing like a bunch of purse-carrying pansies. I knew there was something wrong then, ask anyone who remembers. When Pegula came here the FIRST thing I thought he'd do would be to fire Darcy and Lindy. The fact that he didn't was upsetting all by itself, but the crap that's fallen out of Pegula's yap since that first day has only made me hate him more than I ever could have hated that hijacker duo Quinn and Golisano. This guy doesn't know squat and he's pretending to, and at least Golisano admitted that he didn't know anything about the game.

These pegula posts you make have really opened my eyes since I started posting, and it definitely makes me feel bad for the immediate future. As far as miller goes, I never think he would intentionally crap out, and I think if the team was better even an off year of his like this really gets underplayed. He allowed plenty of bad goals 05-07 but no one complained then because if he allowed 3 we scored 4. A change of scenery would do him good, I think, especially after being the only one called out this season by our hockey "messiah" pegula. That won't happen because darcy won't let it, and pegula won't let darcy go. What if it never ends, and four-five years from now we still have darcy/lindy and no cup? Terry would be more hated than golisano ever was, and I won't be following this team.

These pegula posts you make have really opened my eyes since I started posting, and it definitely makes me feel bad for the immediate future. As far as miller goes, I never think he would intentionally crap out, and I think if the team was better even an off year of his like this really gets underplayed. He allowed plenty of bad goals 05-07 but no one complained then because if he allowed 3 we scored 4. A change of scenery would do him good, I think, especially after being the only one called out this season by our hockey "messiah" pegula. That won't happen because darcy won't let it, and pegula won't let darcy go. What if it never ends, and four-five years from now we still have darcy/lindy and no cup? Terry would be more hated than golisano ever was, and I won't be following this team.

Uh oh...

Hey, this guy just complimented me. You guys aren't going to stand for that, now are you?? ;)

In all seriousness (or at least some seriousness), maybe I don't necessarily HATE Pegula...just what he's said. And done. And what Black has said and done. I can easily learn to love both of them. All they have to do is please me. :D

What Pegula doesn't understand is that if he keeps Darcy and Lindy in the offseason, even if they make a move and trade some of their "12 guys having career worst years", (that always fetches prime value back!), the apathetic backlash will be bigger than anything he could have imagined. I was yipping at the begining of December, throughout January warning where this was headed and praying they did something before they burned up all their goodwill. Pegula and Black just don't get it. Black tries to "feel your pain" ala Clinton, but he just doesn't because he is too smart a guy to say the things he has been the past 6 weeks if he really did understand.

I gave up my season tickets 4 years ago but still have followed them and spent money on their various charity events. I'm pretty much tapped out now. Pegula is a sweet guy. Family is great. I just can't keep re-reading the same book. At least this year was interesting in the sense that the clusterfkucs got bigger and better all season. That kept me tuned in. It is just so far past the point of no return with this franchise. You need GM, coach, and 40% roster turnover.

Pretty much since the return from his injury. I think Pegula talking siht about him didn't do him any favors. And he got married....that surely didn't help :P

I wonder if Miller would play harder under Mike Keenan. I hear he's available. Don't know if I mentioned that already :ph34r:

I would love to see Keenan as Sabres HC, hell make him GM too. I towed his Mercedes the offseason before he became Rangers HC. He hit a deer down near Bristol Mountain (he has a house in Bristol, or at least used to) and I had to meet him at Lock Stock & Barrell. He was quite loaded when I got there :beer: Nice guy though.

Gah!! You had to go and tell me the guy drank, drove, and killed a deer. You really know what makes me tick. BLARGH!!!

Well he may not have been drinking before he hit the deer, but I had to come from Rochester so he had like a 45 min wait at the bar. Maybe he is a fast drinker :P He did take out a deer though.

Uh oh...

Hey, this guy just complimented me. You guys aren't going to stand for that, now are you?? ;)

In all seriousness (or at least some seriousness), maybe I don't necessarily HATE Pegula...just what he's said. And done. And what Black has said and done. I can easily learn to love both of them. All they have to do is please me. :D

Not necessarily complimenting you, just saying one or two of your posts made me think a little ;)

And I don't think anyone really hates him at all yet, we are all just scared that he is dead serious with what he says.

Let's not forget most of us were pretty much in agreement that this would be a gradual process and not an overnight Cup run. Give the guy a break. Yes this season is a tremendous disappointment after all the hype and yes most of us are not DR fans right now......... but it's Pegula's first year! About the time Pegual took over, as much as some of us might have not liked Regier previously, I think most agreed that he deserved a shot under an owner with no financial constraints. I would seem to think the owner probably has the same opinion. Don't go blaming Pegula because of one bad year.

To answer the OP, I think it's a combination of Miller being an average goaltender and being sick of the team in front of him not showing up. I would bet some of the players think the same about hi after some of the games he tanked in this year.

Let's not forget most of us were pretty much in agreement that this would be a gradual process and not an overnight Cup run. Give the guy a break. Yes this season is a tremendous disappointment after all the hype and yes most of us are not DR fans right now......... but it's Pegula's first year! About the time Pegual took over, as much as some of us might have not liked Regier previously, I think most agreed that he deserved a shot under an owner with no financial constraints. I would seem to think the owner probably has the same opinion. Don't go blaming Pegula because of one bad year.

I think we can live with this one year, but this could very well become status quo without major changes, and pegula doesn't seem ready to make them. We are just scared of the setback we could be facing if the guys in charge now remain there. Pegula could very well come out and surprise us and point us in the right direction, and the fans would then rest easy because they would know that even if the sabres stink another year or two, better things would be on the horizon. The uncertainty of everything is the main reason behind upset with pegula.

I think we can live with this one year, but this could very well become status quo without major changes, and pegula doesn't seem ready to make them. We are just scared of the setback we could be facing if the guys in charge now remain there. Pegula could very well come out and surprise us and point us in the right direction, and the fans would then rest easy because they would know that even if the sabres stink another year or two, better things would be on the horizon. The uncertainty of everything is the main reason behind upset with pegula.

Point taken. I just think we should save the criticism of Pegula until late summer. Let's see what happens before the deadline here, and then again in the offseason. If DR is given the chance to make drastic changes and he doesn't..... if he still has a job opening night then I think it's fair to criticize Pegula. I'm as upset with DR as everybody else is and I'm not so sure if I want him to be in charge of making big changes, but this season is pretty much lost. Let's see what DR does now.

Which of the 3 goals in regulation do you think he didn't do a reasonable job on?

The Kaberle goal that was free and clear from the far side?

The Gomez goal off Regher's stick?

Or the Campoli goal?

I never really thought Miller was as good as the Sabres brass and media made him out to be in the first place..He benefited from one hell of a hockey team in front of him during our run in 05 06..He never carried this team like Hasek did..Not that will ever happen again in our lifetime but you dont pay a goaltender 6 million bucks a year for average play...He is very arrogant in his interviews and in my opinion comes off in the media as a dick every time he is on camera..If they just let his ass go even without a return the benefit would be a positive in that alone...Hell im not even sure anymore if they shouldnt have kept Biron for all the good Miller has done..He played lights out when the olympic job was on the line then he went in the tank and hasnt come back since...HMMM a lil ego on the line for you????If he played like he did in the time leading up to the olympics 80 percent of the time he is worth 5 mill to the Sabes but no way in the real hockey universe is he worth 6 million dollars a year as is the way he has played the last 2 n a half yrs....Get rid of him and get what u can now.....I put him in the same boat as Derek Roy...Addition by subtraction

I don't think he has quit more so than any other member of this team. I've never been the biggest Miller fan and it's not so much about his game, but his personality. I think he may play better with a rest every now and then, he is over 30 years old and I don't know if he has the stamina as he once did, maybe a real coach that knew how to utilize his back up would prolong Miller's career and improve his game. I'm for trying to get something for Miller in a trade before his value really drops.

Which of the 3 goals in regulation do you think he didn't do a reasonable job on?

The Kaberle goal that was free and clear from the far side?

The Gomez goal off Regher's stick?

Or the Campoli goal?

Miller was there for the Kaberle goal, the puck went through Miller.

The replay on the Gomez goal doesn't indicate if it was tipped.

Miller was beat while falling on his arce for no reason on the Campoli goal.

Miller is currently 34th in the NHL in gaa and 35th in SV%, how much does he make again?

I think Miller has quit on the team, but the team has also quit on him. It's what is to be expected in this perfect storm of crap.

As for him loosing "it" ... IMO he never really had "it". The Sabres needed a franchise goalie to hitch their wagon to after Hasek left and Miller was that goalie. Not a good choice IMO. Yet another on the long list of bad moves by DR and LR has not used Miller properly, again IMO.

He would not play harder for Keenan, or anyone else for that matter. It's not in his nature. Most of the other players wouldn't either. I vote for Keenan as VP Hockey Operations and GM. Miller and the other malcontents would be so out of here under Keenan's watch.

I don't necessarily think Miller has quit, I just think he was really never that good to begin with, and now he is on the wrong side of 30yrs old, which now also affects him. He and the Sabres caught lightning in a bottle for one season, not before that season and not after that season has Miller shown the ability to be worth $6+ million per. DR way way way overvalued him just as he has overvalued most others on the team. Miller along with Roy,Staff, should be the first ones out of town, IMO.

Miller was there for the Kaberle goal, the puck went through Miller.

The replay on the Gomez goal doesn't indicate if it was tipped.

Miller was beat while falling on his arce for no reason on the Campoli goal.

Miller is currently 34th in the NHL in gaa and 35th in SV%, how much does he make again?

I can't disagree with the assessment of his overall play this year, but on two of the goals I'll disagree somewhat. The replay on the Gomez goal clearly showed the deflection off Regher's stick. The puck was headed low glove then shot straight up. The Sabres broadcast had a great replay angle on it, and even Harry Neale noticed it. Rayzor made a comment about how if you're going to block a shot from that close in you have to block it completely or get out of the way, because all you do is make it harder on the goalie, either by screening or deflection.

I didn't like the Campoli goal, but I was more pissed at Weber for not being able to handle Gomez in front of the crease. He basically steered Gomez right into his line of sight and Miller leaned the wrong way.

Archived