Has Miller quit on this team, or has he just lost it?

Claude Balls

I also think he is overrated, but I think he is plenty good enough to win a Stanley cup with a decent team. Like most goalies, however, he in no way can carry a team like this one to the cup. He is indeed paid too much, but that is hardly his fault. And I don't get how people think he saves the Gomez or kaberle goal, other than complete luck. He needs to play better, and I think the best way to do that is to get him out of here before his value disappears even more.

I also think he is overrated, but I think he is plenty good enough to win a Stanley cup with a decent team. Like most goalies, however, he in no way can carry a team like this one to the cup. He is indeed paid too much, but that is hardly his fault. And I don't get how people think he saves the Gomez or kaberle goal, other than complete luck. He needs to play better, and I think the best way to do that is to get him out of here before his value disappears even more.

I disagree with the bolded part. He has already played on a couple of dynamic, veteran laden, highly skilled teams and couldn't get the job done, so why would one think he could carry a decent team?

I don't think there's much wrong with Miller except the once-in-awhile crucial freak goals he lets in. I'd like to see Sabres get value from him but Darcy, who was never a GM before the Sabres hired him and learned at our expense--should not be the one dealing anyone. Darcy's made some good acquisitions but that is in the way distant past. He and Lindy should just put on their paper hats and wave their plastic swords until this Titanic has crashed on the iceberg. They're finished, along with the old core.

I think history will shine brighter on Miller than what the fans think of him now. He's a very good goalie, but not a great goalie. The biggest problem with Miller is 1. He followed closely on the heels of Hasek, a guy who absolutely carried the team and 2. Was annointed the savior by the team and marketed as such even though he wasn't quite up to the task. He's the 5th highest paid goalie in the league and is therefore overpaid, but I still think he is worthy of #7-12 money.

IMO if we are ranking the Sabres all time best goalies there is a good argument to be made that Miller is in the top 3, certainly top 5.

I disagree with the bolded part. He has already played on a couple of dynamic, veteran laden, highly skilled teams and could get the job done, so why would one think he could carry a decent team?

I said in the next sentence that I don't think he can simply carry a team himself, and if leighton and niemi can get to the finals, I have no reason to think if miller was traded or we built a solid team that he couldnt get there and win it. We were one period away from the finals, as we all remember.

I can't disagree with the assessment of his overall play this year, but on two of the goals I'll disagree somewhat. The replay on the Gomez goal clearly showed the deflection off Regher's stick. The puck was headed low glove then shot straight up. The Sabres broadcast had a great replay angle on it, and even Harry Neale noticed it. Rayzor made a comment about how if you're going to block a shot from that close in you have to block it completely or get out of the way, because all you do is make it harder on the goalie, either by screening or deflection.

It was very obvious that is what deflected.

The shootout goals were painful to watch because they were so close to being saves.

It was very obvious that is what deflected.

The shootout goals were painful to watch because they were so close to being saves.

Yeah, the shootout goals stung, just like the first regulation goal. Looked like he was in position, got a piece, but it trickled through.

I think Miller has quit on the team, but the team has also quit on him. It's what is to be expected in this perfect storm of crap.

I mostly agree.

I don't necessarily think Miller has quit, I just think he was really never that good to begin with, and now he is on the wrong side of 30yrs old, which now also affects him. He and the Sabres caught lightning in a bottle for one season,

Maybe Miller cares more about the Olympics than the Sabres/NHL?

Then today Miller looks like the Vezina winner he once was. The inconsistency on this team is ridiculous. Thumping the Bruins and Pens scoring 6 goals in each game, then blowing leads and looking like garbage during games in between. Never know which team or goalie is going to show up night after night.

To answer Taro's ?, the Campoli goal was on Miller, but it was the two goals in the shootout that really got me wondering. He should have had both stopped IMO. What also burned my arse in the shootout is that Price is pretty crappy stopping just over 50% of the shots he has faced and both Buffalo shooters blast the puck from in between the circles. What ever happened to the deek?

I think history will shine brighter on Miller than what the fans think of him now. He's a very good goalie, but not a great goalie. The biggest problem with Miller is 1. He followed closely on the heels of Hasek, a guy who absolutely carried the team and 2. Was annointed the savior by the team and marketed as such even though he wasn't quite up to the task. He's the 5th highest paid goalie in the league and is therefore overpaid, but I still think he is worthy of #7-12 money.

IMO if we are ranking the Sabres all time best goalies there is a good argument to be made that Miller is in the top 3, certainly top 5.

Absolutely correct IMO sir! :beer:

Interesting stat, for all of you who want to compare Miller to Hasek.

Ryan Miller just eclipsed Hasek in wins as a Sabre.

Hasek played for Buffalo a grand total of 553 regular season games.

Miller? 439, including yesterday's tilt.

Say what you want about the guy. He's had his rough moments, but so has Brodeur, Thomas, Hasek, Roy and any other elite or above average goalie you can think of.

I'm not a Miller apologist. I just think he's having one of "those" seasons. He's shown brilliance along with faults. There isn't a goalie who hasn't. The difference is that his brilliance generally outshines his faults.

Say what you want about the guy. He's had his rough moments, but so has Brodeur, Thomas, Hasek, Roy and any other elite or above average goalie you can think of.

I'm not a Miller apologist. I just think he's having one of "those" seasons. He's shown brilliance along with faults. There isn't a goalie who hasn't. The difference is that his brilliance generally outshines his faults.

Between what Weave said above, and what you're saying, I have to agree that Miller has the unfortunate luck of playing directly after one of the greatest goalies (at least that I've ever seen play), and he has had some Great Expectations placed on his shoulders that would kill Derek Roy in a heart beat.

Someone arguing over the Win numbers may say that Hasek probably would have had more wins had the game in his era not been allowed to end in a tie. To that I say, Dom played 553 games to Millers 439...Dom does not have 120 ties that would've been S/O wins...

Between what Weave said above, and what you're saying, I have to agree that Miller has the unfortunate luck of playing directly after one of the greatest goalies (at least that I've ever seen play), and he has had some Great Expectations placed on his shoulders that would kill Derek Roy in a heart beat.

Someone arguing over the Win numbers may say that Hasek probably would have had more wins had the game in his era not been allowed to end in a tie. To that I say, Dom played 553 games to Millers 439...Dom does not have 120 ties that would've been S/O wins...

That someone was Miller himself. He said it the day he broke the record.

this is where stats don't tell the whole story. the teams hasek played on were not nearly as good as the teams miller has played on. reverse the eras and i guarantee you miller has more losses than wins and hasek has more hardware than he already has.

remember wins and losses are a team stat, unless of course we are talking about ryan miller who has done it all himself.

this is where stats don't tell the whole story. the teams hasek played on were not nearly as good as the teams miller has played on. reverse the eras and i guarantee you miller has more losses than wins and hasek has more hardware than he already has.

remember wins and losses are a team stat, unless of course we are talking about ryan miller who has done it all himself.

The only seasons that I think Miller played on better overall teams then what Hasek had were his first couple as a starter when Briere and Drury were leading this team. Otherwise the talent in front of the net could be close enough to not make a huge difference. Thats not to say that Hasek is not in a league above Miller talent wise (Hasek is one of the best to ever play the position) but its not saying Miller is a product of the players in front of him. Its really tough to compare the 2 considering they both were playing here at different times in different "eras" of the league. Hasek was playing at a time when scoring was down before the lockout. Miller started when the league switched to try and increase scoring after the lockout.

The only seasons that I think Miller played on better overall teams then what Hasek had were his first couple as a starter when Briere and Drury were leading this team. Otherwise the talent in front of the net could be close enough to not make a huge difference. Thats not to say that Hasek is not in a league above Miller talent wise (Hasek is one of the best to ever play the position) but its not saying Miller is a product of the players in front of him. Its really tough to compare the 2 considering they both were playing here at different times in different "eras" of the league. Hasek was playing at a time when scoring was down before the lockout. Miller started when the league switched to try and increase scoring after the lockout.

I've got to agree with this.

• 2 weeks later...

the one thing i will say is i have noticed a difference in miller since that embarrassing 7-3 loss at pittsburgh where mr. pegula called him out. crazy as it sounds but i think i have noticed a bit more reserved miller and it seems like his facial expressions and demeanor are different.

i dunno but when the owner is pissed and directs his criticism squarely at you, you have two choices. suck it up and get better or get irritated and pissed and become a problem. i like what i see from ryan, its good to see.

I think it's clear now Miller had serious trouble properly recovering from the concussion. Guys been a legend recently, and if there's one thing I've learnt from the Sabres is that a great goalie leads to great Sabres.

However, we're not LA, we need more than 3 goals in 2 games to succeed.

Archived