What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Game Change, the back story of the 2008 presidential campaign. HBO turned it into a miniseries.

Very tightly written and fascinating so far. The most interesting revelation to me was that it was Chelsea Clinton who was the lone holdout advising her mother not to run in 2004 because she had promised the voters of New York she would complete her first term. Mom listened, Kerry got the nomination and asked some kid named Barack Obama to give the keynote address at the convention.

The rest was history, including, apparently, Hillary's hopes of winning the White House.

Oh yeah, there's also the gossip that party leaders feared Bill's continuing infidelity would blow up in Hillary's face (sorry) in 2008 if she ran then. The biggest wigs secretly encouraged Obama to run, while showing public support for Hil.

Edited by PASabreFan

• 2 months later...

Bumping because I like this thread and I don't want it to be buried:

1. Children and Fire was OK. I won't complain but I'd pass.

2. I enjoyed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlien much more than I expected. I usually find his work too militaristic but this was very fleshed out. It's strengthe was sentient computer Mike's desire for human interaction. Mike really paved the way for my all time favorite sci-fi character, Lt Commander Data.

3. Watchmen by Alan Moore is so much more than a comic. It was the fourth time I read and I really took the time to admire the use of paneling and what can really be described as shot structure. It's a brilliant novel that happens to be graphic.

4. On the note of graphic novels, I read Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. A story of a girl before, during, and after the Islamic revolution. It's split into two parts, and I found the first considerably more enjoyable than the second.

5. I read Martin Dressler by Steven Millhauser. A close observation about the American Dream at the start of the 20th century, I enjoyed it immensely. I would like to warn here that the majority of people in our book club did not like it, but those who did liked it a lot.

Next on my reading list:

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (I finished Book 2 in July and still haven't started 3. I have to get on it.)

I'm going to plug a friend's book, "Conversations with a Motorcycle", by Jack Riepe. Great, funny book about riding and places where I bike can take you. I haven't finished it, but I'm loving it. It's self-published and selling very well, it's being kept in-stock at some book stores in NYC. But you can't buy it on Amazon or other big places.

http://jackriepe.blogspot.com/

I'm going to plug a friend's book, "Conversations with a Motorcycle", by Jack Riepe. Great, funny book about riding and places where I bike can take you. I haven't finished it, but I'm loving it. It's self-published and selling very well, it's being kept in-stock at some book stores in NYC. But you can't buy it on Amazon or other big places.

http://jackriepe.blogspot.com/

Is it a memoir or fiction?

Looking for a recommendation-

I enjoy series based off a character, my favorites are:

Any series from Robert B Parker (Spenser, Stone, Randell)

The jack reacher series by lee child

The Prey series by John Sandford

And to a lesser extent the women's murder club by Patterson

Based on my preferences can anyone make a recommendation on a new series for me? Thanks in advance...

Edited by Hank

I know what you mean Hank. That's not really my style but I'll give it a shot...

- Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger).

- Song of Ice and Fire books (Give it a chance even if you don't like fantasy).

- Stephen King's Dark Tower series

That's all I can think of now sorry. Like I said they are not my cup of tea.

What do you think of it? My girlfriend loves stuff like this.

I am enjoying it. It isn't a blow by blow account. There is little detail of actual fighting. It is more of a chronolgy of events and occurrances and his thoughts and impressions as the battle dragged on. I like the perspective he is sharing.

I am enjoying it. It isn't a blow by blow account. There is little detail of actual fighting. It is more of a chronolgy of events and occurrances and his thoughts and impressions as the battle dragged on. I like the perspective he is sharing.

If you enjoy this book you may also enjoy Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie. The excellent HBO miniseries The Pacific was largely based upon the first hand accounts detailed in these books.

If anyone is interested in biographies I'm about half way through a good one.

"Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet".

It's well written by a non-Muslim (actually a former Nun) ... Karen Armstrong. It is not religious at all. An excellent account of the life of Muhammad (PBUH) and the times in and around Arabia during his lifetime.

Like most famous people no one really paid much, or any attention, to Muhammad early in his life, before he became famous. So there is not too much specific until he was about twenty, when he became somewhat known in the Meccan merchant community. All we know about his early life is that his father died before he was born and his mother died when he was 6. After that he was raised by his uncle. He began his ministry at about age 40 ... I say about because no one knows for sure when he was born, as no real records were kept in those days.

As I said, it is an excellent historical account of the times and his life. The first biographers of Muhammad actually started their work during his lifetime, so there are accounts that are believed to be generally accurate.

This book came out right around 9/11. There is a follow-up to it that I am planning to read after I finish this one.

It's well written by a non-Muslim (actually a former Nun) ... Karen Armstrong. It is not religious at all. An excellent account of the life of Muhammad (PBUH) and the times in and around Arabia during his lifetime.

Like most famous people no one really paid much, or any attention, to Muhammad early in his life, before he became famous. So there is not too much specific until he was about twenty, when he became somewhat known in the Meccan merchant community. All we know about his early life is that his father died before he was born and his mother died when he was 6. After that he was raised by his uncle. He began his ministry at about age 40 ... I say about because no one knows for sure when he was born, as no real records were kept in those days.

As I said, it is an excellent historical account of the times and his life. The first biographers of Muhammad actually started their work during his lifetime, so there are accounts that are believed to be generally accurate.

This book came out right around 9/11. There is a follow-up to it that I am planning to read after I finish this one.

I'll have to check this out. I've been building a collection of books about the Middle East that I hope to get to this summer. The people, culture, religion. This would make a good addition.

Just finished the first half of Tom Brokaw's "The Time of Our Lives". It's a quick but smart read, which you would expect from one of the last great journalists. He's spent a great deal of time so far on the housing market and the future of our spending habits. All I can say is I'm thankful I'm young enough to have avoided the housing bubble bursting. As long as I can find a job that pays okay, it should cost me a lot less to buy a home in the next 10 years that will likely see small appreciation rather than much more depreciation.

Armstrong's books on religion are terrific. A History of God is amazing.

Now, if we can get her stuff not only translated into Arabic (I'm sure that's happened), but also distributed in certain countries (I'm sure that hasn't), we'll go a long, long way.

Edited by Santa Claus

Just finished the first half of Tom Brokaw's "The Time of Our Lives". It's a quick but smart read, which you would expect from one of the last great journalists. He's spent a great deal of time so far on the housing market and the future of our spending habits. All I can say is I'm thankful I'm young enough to have avoided the housing bubble bursting. As long as I can find a job that pays okay, it should cost me a lot less to buy a home in the next 10 years that will likely see small appreciation rather than much more depreciation.

An investment guru, William Bernstein, has a famous quote that is very true..

"A young person saving for retirement should get down on his(or her) knees and pray for a market crash."

Although I probably don't quite qualify as a "young person" by his standard, I've used the events of the past few years to not only catch up on my retirement savings, but get way ahead.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Armstrong's books on religion are terrific. A History of God is amazing.

Now, if we can get her stuff not only translated into Arabic (I'm sure that's happened), but also distributed in certain countries (I'm sure that hasn't), we'll go a long, long way.

"A History of God" is high on my *to be read soon* pile. My wife has read it and agrees with your assessment.

We picked up these books on Muhammad (PBUH) at a small book shop / cafe that we frequent in Sarajevo. We buy the books in English for home, but read the Bosnian language versions while at the shop. It's a great way to practice the *real* language. We speak and understand pretty well, but we learn a lot of slang ... I could tell you a number of funny stories about slight mispronunciations, but I digress ... This shop caters to locals, tourists and foreign university students. So, the books are in many languages. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them in Arabic.

I'm certain that any Armstrong book would not go over well with any of the *hot heads* out there. Heavy sigh!

Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski.

Really thick but very in detail book. Recommend it for any sports fan, but essp the soccer fanatics and i know there is a few on here.

Read it great book..........I am half way through Neil Youngs "Waging Heavy Peace", if you like Neil at all I recommend reading it.

• 4 weeks later...

My gf got me Ballad of The Whiskey Robber which is "A true story of bank heists, ice hockey, transylvanian pelt smuggling, moonlighting detectives, and broken hearts." This book seems a little too up my alley :P

Well, based upon your description, I bought this book. It was excellent. Read it cover-to-cover on Saturday. Thanks for turning me on to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.