Flashback

JWell

Damn, every time I watch these videos I get wistful and a little choked up. Those were the days when you could fully commit emotionally to the team, when you could believe anything could happen at any time on the ice. This is the baseline for any comparison I have for the team these days and this current group, quite obviously, falls way short.

I remember hearing my neighborhood, in Kenmore at the time, going insane. There was this not so soft eruption of cheering, yelling, horns blowing that I could hear from inside the house, and I ran outside and was amazed at the clamor.

This is the legacy the Sabres fight with all of the time - the fans want THIS again, and want to take it right to its story-book ending next time. No wonder the F'N Center is quiet, no wonder the Sabres fan-base is irate. There should be no question that Sabres fans know what they're looking at when they watch the team on the ice - they know when the magic is there, and, painfully, when it's absent.

Damn, every time I watch these videos I get wistful and a little choked up. Those were the days when you could fully commit emotionally to the team, when you could believe anything could happen at any time on the ice. This is the baseline for any comparison I have for the team these days and this current group, quite obviously, falls way short.

I remember hearing my neighborhood, in Kenmore at the time, going insane. There was this not so soft eruption of cheering, yelling, horns blowing that I could hear from inside the house, and I ran outside and was amazed at the clamor.

This is the legacy the Sabres fight with all of the time - the fans want THIS again, and want to take it right to its story-book ending next time. No wonder the F'N Center is quiet, no wonder the Sabres fan-base is irate. There should be no question that Sabres fans know what they're looking at when they watch the team on the ice - they know when the magic is there, and, painfully, when it's absent.

Send this to Pegula and the Snooze.

Every single building is incredibly louder during the playoffs.

This is true. However, even last year against the Flyers, the arena wasn't anything special. Esspicially deciding game 6 was pretty quiet. People blamed it on Easter but i don't buy it. I think those Sabres teams related well to Buffalo. We are an underdog city. And the Sabres were always underdogs. The year before this NYR series, if you recall, we were predicted to finish bottom 5 in almost every publication and we lived with each win. "wow they won again". As someone said, this team had the flare that any minute the game could change. I believe home opener that season we beat Montreal in the shootout. We were heavily dominated, but had a strong 3rd period against what many believed at the time was the best goalie in the world, Carey Price, and Briere tied it with seconds left. Then Max won it in the shootout.

Todays teams are stale. They're not underdogs. They are underachievers. While the President's Trophy team did have a bit of lazy in them, and fell asleep for 20 minutes in almost each game, they could turn on a switch and dominate. When they had to, they were one of the hardest working teams in hockey. I really believe the city not only related to them, not only cheered for their success but also were proud of them.

I saw this on the sabres FB page....

The guy commented with one question......

"When will the FN Center get this wild again?"

I HOPE the place gets rockin again along with the team.

The first two seconds of your video shows a player wearing the number 23 .... compare that 23 to our current 23 .... so sad the difference.

This is true. However, even last year against the Flyers, the arena wasn't anything special. Esspicially deciding game 6 was pretty quiet. People blamed it on Easter but i don't buy it. I think those Sabres teams related well to Buffalo. We are an underdog city. And the Sabres were always underdogs. The year before this NYR series, if you recall, we were predicted to finish bottom 5 in almost every publication and we lived with each win. "wow they won again". As someone said, this team had the flare that any minute the game could change. I believe home opener that season we beat Montreal in the shootout. We were heavily dominated, but had a strong 3rd period against what many believed at the time was the best goalie in the world, Carey Price, and Briere tied it with seconds left. Then Max won it in the shootout.

Todays teams are stale. They're not underdogs. They are underachievers. While the President's Trophy team did have a bit of lazy in them, and fell asleep for 20 minutes in almost each game, they could turn on a switch and dominate. When they had to, they were

one of the hardest working teams in hockey. I really believe the city not only related to them, not only cheered for their success but also were proud of them.

If you are talking about 05-06, I don't think montreal had Carey Price yet.

Huet and Theodore

I loved actually believing they could come back, even with only 15 seconds left. And when they did, I loved knowing they were going to win in OT. The other thing that struck me watching it was how Drury didn't even smile...he screamed and everything, but once he got to the bench, it was just pure intensity, like he knew business wasn't finished. Feels like our current team would have just been satisfied with tying it.

As an aside, when this happened I was dating a hardcore Rangers fan who didn't talk to me for at least a week after the game. Even a few years after, if I even mentioned it to her, it was like flipping a switch to instantly piss her off. I think cheating on her with 5 prostitutes would have had less of an effect.

I was outside the arena for this game and it remains one of the greatest things I have ever experienced. The raw emotion of the fans outside was insane.

I'll always be a Chris Drury fanboy.

I think during that aweful day on July 1, the vast majoirty of people were more upset by Drury leaving and it relates almost 100% because of that goal. It did for me, I still get chocked up watching the highlights of that game. You just have to ask, why? Why in 42 years have we not won the stinking thing?!

Archived