What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

A couple BLTs and a Flying Bison IPA (to be followed up with a Saranac pumpkin ale for dessert). Yea, I'm eating like a poor college kid and drinking like a respectable adult.

HEY. The BLT is the foundation of adult sandwiches. Every adult sandwich is built upon a foundation of bacon, with lettuce and tomato added as garnish.

Well, except for those who claim barbecue should be served as a sandwich, and those folks are wrong anyway.

In other words, you are not eating like a college student. You're eating like a man.

Drove out to Rohrbach's tonight with the girlfriend and her parents and enjoyed some Jager Schnitzel and Oktoberfest on their dime. I'm so glad it's like a 20 minute drive to get there or else we'd go there every week. Rohrbach's has their own pumpkin ale out right now and it is outstanding.

I followed up the paella Saturday by making some Patatas Revolconas (mashed potatoes with smoked paprika and garlic) and Spicy Pork Meatballs Sunday. I have enough leftovers for the week now.

This was the first time for the patatas. I went with half dulce paprika (sweet smoked) and half picante (spicy smoked). Probably a little too much spicy unless you really dig that.

Edited by MattPie

I followed up the paella Saturday by making some Patatas Revolconas (mashed potatoes with smoked paprika and garlic) and Spicy Pork Meatballs Sunday. I have enough leftovers for the week now.

This was the first time for the patatas. I went with half dulce paprika (sweet smoked) and half picante (spicy smoked). Probably a little too much spicy unless you really dig that.

I can dig that.

I've got both sweet and spicy smoked paprika in my cabinet. I'll have to try them in mashed taters.

I can dig that.

I've got both sweet and spicy smoked paprika in my cabinet. I'll have to try them in mashed taters.

Give them a shot, they're only 43% more difficult than regular mashed potatoes. The article I found them in was a "deathmatch" of post-pub food (think Jim's Steakout) up against pierogi. Later, they tried using the patatas as filling for the pierogi, which might be my next trick.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/24/pierogi_patatas/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/14/paprika_potato_pierogi/

The other articles in the deathmatch series bring up some really interesting and relatively unknown dishes from the other side of the pond. I'm rather interested in the Haggis Pakora, too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Tag/deathmatch

Give them a shot, they're only 43% more difficult than regular mashed potatoes. The article I found them in was a "deathmatch" of post-pub food (think Jim's Steakout) up against pierogi. Later, they tried using the patatas as filling for the pierogi, which might be my next trick.

http://www.theregist...ierogi_patatas/

http://www.theregist...potato_pierogi/

The other articles in the deathmatch series bring up some really interesting and relatively unknown dishes from the other side of the pond. I'm rather interested in the Haggis Pakora, too.

http://www.theregist.../Tag/deathmatch

I heard that the paprika farm owners are trying to get that up to 50%.

If it's the same thing I made once upon a time, you make a nice mustard sauce, spread it on a chicken breast, and bake. I rememeber it being pretty good, but I haven't thought about it in years.

at's what I was thinking it was but I wasn't sure. I like to paint chickens and turkeys with plain yellow mustard before putting them in the smoker too.

at's what I was thinking it was but I wasn't sure. I like to paint chickens and turkeys with plain yellow mustard before putting them in the smoker too.

Come to think of it, use honey dijon mustard to glue the panko to salmon. I think I need to make that again soon, or it could easily be adapted to chicken.

Mustard chicken? Explain.

If it's the same thing I made once upon a time, you make a nice mustard sauce, spread it on a chicken breast, and bake. I rememeber it being pretty good, but I haven't thought about it in years.

Pretty much, but not just mustard in this case. Not sure if my boyfriend's mom made this combo up or found the recipe somewhere, but this is what I used:

Combine 2 parts butter to one part mustard heated till melted together. (2 T butter and 1 T mustard was enough for 3 smaller filets.) Add 1/2 tsp tarragon per 2 T of butter and stir well. Separately, combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a 3:1 ratio and set aside. Rinse and pat dry boneless chicken breasts. Dip in melted butter/mustard/tarragon. Make sure the chicken is well coated. Roll the chicken in the bread crumbs. Bake in a lightly oiled dish/pan at 350 for about. 1/2 hr. or until the chicken juices run clear.

I have no idea what that is. But it looks good. And, more selfishly and more importantly, where can I get a set of those glasses?

It's a Manhattan,.. and it was glorious.

As to the glass, I wish I knew as well, although, I just zoomed in on the picture and saw that it says "designed for AM&A's" (love that Buffalo apostrophe), so it looks like we're out of luck as they went out of business in 1994. Got it from my folks when they moved.

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm sick, I allow myself whatever I want. I figure that whatever my body is craving for, is what it needs.

I'm sick. So Saturday was gorging on Chinese food, yesterday, on pizza and a Thinny Flynnie from The Place. But on to today:

Left Bank makes a different ravioli depending upon the day, market ingredients, etc. And it is ONE ravioli, i.e., a giant one that covers an entire dinner plate and might slip off of the edges. (It's sufficient for two meals, IMO, but if you're a bigger fella you might feel differently.)

A giant ravioli stuffed with breaded pork chops (no bone, obviously), hot banana peppers, and some--but not a ton--of ricotta. On the menu with a liquor-infused cream sauce, but I just asked them to leave that part off. Amazing. I love that place for so many reasons.

No need to ask what I'm eating for dinner tomorrow (it's too filling for lunch).

And as for drinking? It's a 2012 Robitussin, I believe the DM variety. It's unfortunately flavorful, with overtones of kerosene and rotten cherry, and with undertones of heavily burnt citrus, imitation codeine, and liniment. It is everything I have come to expect from that particular bottle. It may or may not match with your taste, but it doesn't with mine. Still, I'll suffer through, as my local Walgreens did not have the 2009 available, and (as I recall from the last time I touched the stuff), it would have been the same. It, combined with even a single drink of whisky while waiting on the aforementioned ravioli for takeout, will change your world. But not for the better. More in a Hunter Thompson, fire-yourself-out-of-a-cannon way.

In sum: I recommend the pork chop ravioli. I do not recommend the 2012 Robitussin, unless you're looking for a reason to be wired.

I have no idea what that is. But it looks good. And, more selfishly and more importantly, where can I get a set of those glasses?

We received a Buffalo theme glassware set as a gift from Jenns. This is similar to what we have but not exactly. I also have a Bills/ Sabres logo etched glass pitcher to serve beer from my kegerator, but I only pull it out once in a blue moon.

http://www.reedsjenss.com/p-4598-standing-buffalo-double-old-fashioned-glass.aspx

We received a Buffalo theme glassware set as a gift from Jenns. This is similar to what we have but not exactly. I also have a Bills/ Sabres logo etched glass pitcher to serve beer from my kegerator, but I only pull it out once in a blue moon.

http://www.reedsjens...oned-glass.aspx

I just broke one of those that I had received as a gift, and now I know how to re-complete the set! Thanks!

McKenzie Bourbon Manhattan. After a couple tries, I've come to the conclusion that I dislike sweet vermouth. I can't quite place it, but it tastes herb-y to me. Not a fan.

Sorry to hear that. That's a serious handicap.Me? Robitussin DM, I believe it to be a 2012 brew, and not the 2011 stuff. 2012 seems to be a "strong" year, because I am taking completely normal, or less, dosage, and the dissociation I feel is somewhat amazing. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm watching baseball and posting on a hockey board, but one cannot ever be sure with the 'tussin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.