Next Sabres Head Coach

Doohickie

It won't matter with this team.

But here's a question, and I didn't want to start a new thread: Why is it that very few coaches are former goaltenders? I'd think that the guy who gets a view of the whole game would make a good coach.

No. Relegation may be an interesting third-world twist on sports leagues, but it certainly isn't "normal." The North American structure, which has been around much longer and is infinitely more successful, is "normal."

BTW, Not the case. Aside from the Olympics the World Cup is the single biggest sporting event in the world and most of the countries playing football have multiple leagues including promotion and relegation. Fraid you're the odd ones out here, and I'm just using football as an example. Also football is an older sport than any of the American ones I believe.

But here's a question, and I didn't want to start a new thread: Why is it that very few coaches are former goaltenders? I'd think that the guy who gets a view of the whole game would make a good coach.

I don't know for sure, but goaltenders do have the reputation (or stereotype, if you will) of having...odd...personalities. Since coaching is at least half psychology (and probably more), it makes sense that not a lot of goalies become coaches.

I don't know for sure, but goaltenders do have the reputation (or stereotype, if you will) of having...odd...personalities. Since coaching is at least half psychology (and probably more), it makes sense that not a lot of goalies become coaches.

You'd have to be odd to want 100mph flat bits of rubber flying at you.

Because the universe is like, humungus big, and they are very small.

Because the universe is like, humungus big, and they are very small.

Well played.

The problem is that goalies are kind of in their own little world. They don't participate in the action around the ice so it is difficult for them to know how to coach skaters. They're essentially uninvolved from the head coach for the most part. They don't do x's and o's. They just do stop the puck.

Here he is, the Sabres next coach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWBiMPvevo&feature=related

(1:03-3:15 mark for why)

:D

If he can be a command presence over NHL players (and their ego's) great, some of what he says makes sense, in this league now you have to score AND be tough with it, either or won't work and we're just to soft now. However I worry about 'follow the system', Ruff's been making his players 'follow the system' strickly for so long and it just doesnt work, you have to be a little flexible. Meh we'll see. I'm sure we're all wrong but hopefully change IS in the wind (or whatever that damn phrase is.)

because goalies are mainly weirdos.

If he can be a command presence over NHL players (and their ego's) great, some of what he says makes sense, in this league now you have to score AND be tough with it, either or won't work and we're just to soft now. However I worry about 'follow the system', Ruff's been making his players 'follow the system' strickly for so long and it just doesnt work, you have to be a little flexible. Meh we'll see. I'm sure we're all wrong but hopefully change IS in the wind (or whatever that damn phrase is.)

Hehe, that stuff about "the system" made me giggle a bit, too, but hey, if every man hitting and finishing checks is part of this dude's system, I might overlook the ominous potential of the word, itself, won't you?

(And sorry it ended up in three threads, but there are seriously a TON of threads all saying the same thing so I figured why not. :)

Hehe, that stuff about "the system" made me giggle a bit, too, but hey, if every man hitting and finishing checks is part of this dude's system, I might overlook the ominous potential of the word, itself, won't you?

(And sorry it ended up in three threads, but there are seriously a TON of threads all saying the same thing so I figured why not. :)

Do you know him and his wife? I do, and stand by my statement.

Seriously, he's a bonehead.

6 championships - 5 in the WCHL and one in the UHL. He hasn't done annoying in the ECHL, and has never sniffed the AHL, but lets make him the coach of an NHL franchise.

Brilliant!

Would you call the Premiership in English football "third-world"? How about Serie A in Italian football, or just about every other major football league.

Also, I would tend to disagree with your thought on the North American structure being around longer, but you may be right about that. But, as for it being "normal" and "more successful" I really don't think so.

BTW, Not the case. Aside from the Olympics the World Cup is the single biggest sporting event in the world and most of the countries playing football have multiple leagues including promotion and relegation. Fraid you're the odd ones out here, and I'm just using football as an example. Also football is an older sport than any of the American ones I believe.

I used "third world" as a pushback to the claim that not having relegation is somehow not "normal." Obviously the UK is not the third world, although Italy and much of the rest of Europe is pretty close these days.

As for how long the various structures have been around -- the NFL was formed in 1920; the NHL in 1917. I'll await a response as to when the various European soccer leagues were formed -- and when they introduced relegation.

As for how successful the leagues are -- of course there are huge events like the World Cup and teams like Man U. But there is no sports league outside the US that supports 30 teams with average team payrolls of $55MM like the NHL (to say nothing of the $70MM+ of the NBA or $100MM+ of the NFL).

Again, I think relegation is an interesting wrinkle for sports leagues. There are many reasons, most of them economic, that it couldn't work in the major North American leagues. But taking the "Europeans do everything better/Americans are so crass and uncouth" view on the different structures and calling the non-relegation structure abnormal is nonsense.

Returning to the thread topic: I am going to the Devils game on Tuesday night. I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't ignore the possibility that it will be Lindy's last game as coach of the Sabres. I fully expect to see this group of fragile little children run for the bus. Lindy deserves a better sendoff than that.

Do you know him and his wife? I do, and stand by my statement.

Seriously, he's a bonehead.

6 championships - 5 in the WCHL and one in the UHL. He hasn't done annoying in the ECHL, and has never sniffed the AHL, but lets make him the coach of an NHL franchise.

Brilliant!

I just like what he had to say. But please, stay with that condescending attitude, it's so fun to read.

I used "third world" as a pushback to the claim that not having relegation is somehow not "normal." Obviously the UK is not the third world, although Italy and much of the rest of Europe is pretty close these days.

As for how long the various structures have been around -- the NFL was formed in 1920; the NHL in 1917. I'll await a response as to when the various European soccer leagues were formed -- and when they introduced relegation.

As for how successful the leagues are -- of course there are huge events like the World Cup and teams like Man U. But there is no sports league outside the US that supports 30 teams with average team payrolls of $55MM like the NHL (to say nothing of the $70MM+ of the NBA or $100MM+ of the NFL).

Again, I think relegation is an interesting wrinkle for sports leagues. There are many reasons, most of them economic, that it couldn't work in the major North American leagues. But taking the "Europeans do everything better/Americans are so crass and uncouth" view on the different structures and calling the non-relegation structure abnormal is nonsense.

Returning to the thread topic: I am going to the Devils game on Tuesday night. I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't ignore the possibility that it will be Lindy's last game as coach of the Sabres. I fully expect to see this group of fragile little children run for the bus. Lindy deserves a better sendoff than that.

Nfreeman,

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, as your knowledge is much more astute than mine and you present your arguements much better than I.

You may be correct in your analysis of when the different leagues formed, but football (not NFL) has been around along time ... not sure how long.

I will agree that regelation would not work in North America for many reasons, but the first one that comes to mind is the size of the leagues. English football has four (I believe) divisions, if you will, with around 15 to 20 teams in each. Regelation has the bottom 4 (I believe) bottom teams relegated down a division and the 4 top teams in each promoted up, until you get to the top / bottom of each division. Perhaps our Limey (or whatever he calls himself now :P) friend could elaborate on this.

As to the budgets of the leagues I am not certain, but many of the European football leagues are huge money makers and support many teams with huge payrolls and I think the averages would be similar to the North American leagues you mentioned. Of course there are "have" and "have nots", or bigger budget teams ... Man U. and Barcelona for example.

Another major difference is the way UFA works. Each European football league has a transfer window they call it and most, if not all, the leagues in all the Football Federations have them at the same time. January is an example. In these transfer windows big budget teams (your Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Flyer type teams) target "star" players on other lesser teams. Usually the players are under contract and there are transfer fees paid to the teams losing the "star" player. These typically are in the multi-million $ (Euro) range. In this way some of the wealth is spread around the leagues. Most of the times the players transfered are under contract, but there usually is a renegotiation of the contract, or a big $ "signing bonus" paid to the players. In this way the big $ teams stay good, similar to NFL, MLB and the NHL.

I am not saying one way is better than the other, but there are differences. And in no way did I imply that about the relegation system vs. the non-relegation system and that it is not normal. I will say that I believe that the relegation system is the norm outside of North America and in International hockey for example it is used ... witness the recent scare of the USA hockey teams fight against relegation at the most recent World Jr. Championship competition.

Sorry to ramble ... carry on ...

because goalies are mainly weirdos.

Because golies do color commentary for networks.

From Facebook:

Buffalo BlueandGold

Dear fans of Buffalo BlueandGold. Tonight we were approached from a credible source who is "close" to the sitation about a very real possibility of an announcement by Terry Pegula tomorrow or the next day during the All Star break. Although we were hesitant to post it, as we are not a rumor mill (veterans of this site will attest), we decided as a group to post the information we were told. If nothing comes of it, then we will have learned never to jump the gun in the future. We understand our credibility is at stake, but, hopefully those who know our site well will be understanding. We will update any information we find. Thank you to the best fans on Face Book.

Here's my fantasy scernario: A press conference where Lindy and the new coach both appear, and Lindy passes control of the team to the new guy. No firing, no resignation, just a transfer of power. It would be the best way, I think, and regardless of who called it, having Lindy participate in the transition would help it along.

Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic. You have to be to root for the Sabres.

From Facebook:

Here's my fantasy scernario: A press conference where Lindy and the new coach both appear, and Lindy passes control of the team to the new guy. No firing, no resignation, just a transfer of power. It would be the best way, I think, and regardless of who called it, having Lindy participate in the transition would help it along.

WELL........................................................, that would probably help keep other GM's laughing and snickering about the organization.

From Facebook:

Another guy posted in this group, saying that Pegula is in contract talk with Rick Dudley to become new General Manager. Dudley will keep Ruff as coach, and it'd be his decision at the end of the season if to keep him or not, not Pegula's decision.

Interesting if true. Although, i've never been high on Dudley.

so you want to humilate Lindy further by having him hand some imaginary baton to his successor?

Hopefully tomorrow is Darcy's last day with the Sabres

I don't know that it would. Done right, it could be rather dignified. Lindy knows the team sucks under him this year. He also knows Terry has committed to him. If he decided to hand the reins over to someone else, it wouldn't be a slap in the face or a firing.

On the other hand, I have no man-love for Darcy. Maybe a new partner like Duds would revive Lindy and the team.

Archived