Next Sabres Head Coach

Doohickie

why do we continually want an ex-sabre as a coach?

James Patrick maybe interim but not as the coach, have you seen our defense against a 2 man fore-check??? No thank you.

This team needs more than just a coaching change, it needs an attitude change.

I agree.

I would only want Patrick to fill in to the end of the season, if that long.

Clean slate and let the new VP / GM hire the completely new coaching staff.

why do we continually want an ex-sabre as a coach?

James Patrick maybe interim but not as the coach, have you seen our defense against a 2 man fore-check??? No thank you.

This team needs more than just a coaching change, it needs an attitude change.

Agreed.

Where is Hartley these days? Wouldn't mind seeing him be the head coach...

Courtesy of Wikipedia ...

Robert Hartley (born September 7, 1960 in Hawkesbury, Ontario) is a former head coach in the National Hockey League. He coached the Colorado Avalanche from 19982002, period during which he won the Stanley Cup (2000–2001). He also coached the Atlanta Thrashers from the 2003 up until the beginning of the 2007, when he was fired after the Thrashers got off to an 0–6 start. Hartley was enjoying a successful media career as a hockey analyst for the French-language RDS television channel, but in summer 2011 signed for the Zcs Lions: he is now head coach in Zurich, Switherland.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe made an interesting comment on Sunday's "Sports Reporters" show on ESPN2. They were discussing how well the SF 49ers are playing under Harbaugh with basically the same roster as last year under Mike Singletary. Ryan said that "the players have to buy what the coach is selling." In other words, they need to believe in their coach's philosophy or system before they will perform well. Israel Gutierrez then said that as a head coach, you have to let your players play to their strength. I know this is football talk, but it made perfect sense when applied to the Sabres situation. The players (I think) have no more faith in Lindy's "system". It's boring, to watch and probably to play. Guys are over-thinking every play and rather than getting them to calm down and relax, Ruff puts more pressure on them. Although I have no way of knowing, it sure looks like the team is burned out on Ruff's message. If nothing else, a new guy (from outside the organization) would bring a breath of fresh air into the team. Maybe they would play better, maybe not.

What I am worried about is that right now, the unrest within the team will result in players bearing grudges against one another that won't be able to be repaired, even after a coaching change. To let the current situation fester will only make things worse. It will be really bad if it affects the young guys to the point where they would rather stay in Rochester or go sign with another team as soon as that option is available. Selling players on coming to Buffalo has always been hard; right now, it makes it nearly impossible...

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe made an interesting comment on Sunday's "Sports Reporters" show on ESPN2. They were discussing how well the SF 49ers are playing under Harbaugh with basically the same roster as last year under Mike Singletary. Ryan said that "the players have to buy what the coach is selling." In other words, they need to believe in their coach's philosophy or system before they will perform well. Israel Gutierrez then said that as a head coach, you have to let your players play to their strength. I know this is football talk, but it made perfect sense when applied to the Sabres situation. The players (I think) have no more faith in Lindy's "system". It's boring, to watch and probably to play. Guys are over-thinking every play and rather than getting them to calm down and relax, Ruff puts more pressure on them. Although I have no way of knowing, it sure looks like the team is burned out on Ruff's message. If nothing else, a new guy (from outside the organization) would bring a breath of fresh air into the team. Maybe they would play better, maybe not.

What I am worried about is that right now, the unrest within the team will result in players bearing grudges against one another that won't be able to be repaired, even after a coaching change. To let the current situation fester will only make things worse. It will be really bad if it affects the young guys to the point where they would rather stay in Rochester or go sign with another team as soon as that option is available. Selling players on coming to Buffalo has always been hard; right now, it makes it nearly impossible...

you complete me ...

Good post. I agree with your opinion of Ruff and that a culture change in the locker room starts with him.

The only part I take issue with is this idea that players will hold grudges. I think the attitude in the locker room isn't one of hatred, but of not knowing what to do. I think the players on this team are looking for a new answer and they're looking as a whole, not as separate parts. Confifdence could be restored in this team if someone was brought in to figure out what it's missing.

This is much more elaborate, but states the same theory I have had for awhile now...the players have tuned out Lindy.

Doubt anything big happens before the All Star break, if they don't put together any kind of winning streak or at least a few wins and a solid effort in any losses, changes will have to made after the game on the 24th. They can't go into a week with no games and fans even more pissed than they are now. If nothing happens, Pegula will completely lose the fan base.

Why not Ron Rolston?

Myself, I would like this choice, I was impressed with Rolston's bio and seeing the experience he has in the amateur ranks and with development, the Amerks are not at the top, but the team has been stripped of it's top players throughout the year by call ups. He also has a rapport with the players that are the Sabres future. To be honest, I realy don't care who it is, I believe that getting rid of Lindy is a perfect example of addition by subtraction. This team has no desire to play for Lindy anymore, he as lost the team and he won't be able to get them back. IMO

Good post. I agree with your opinion of Ruff and that a culture change in the locker room starts with him.

The only part I take issue with is this idea that players will hold grudges. I think the attitude in the locker room isn't one of hatred, but of not knowing what to do. I think the players on this team are looking for a new answer and they're looking as a whole, not as separate parts. Confifdence could be restored in this team if someone was brought in to figure out what it's missing.

I would hope they don't; let's hope that they don't take turns throwing each other under the bus. I'm sure the players know where the issues lie and I hope they can band together until relief arrives in whatever form...

I'm not sure I'd say a grudge, but I stongly believe the Lucic hit exposed these guys for what they really are and they don't know how to handle it. ...it's looking more and more like there is no trust between the guys ... No one has anyone's back..

I think TP needs to look deep and realize that humpty isn't going to be fixed with the group he has now.... and I'm sorry to say but I think the young guns in the room have already been affected..... IMHO

I'm not sure I'd say a grudge, but I stongly believe the Lucic hit exposed these guys for what they really are and they don't know how to handle it. ...it's looking more and more like there is no trust between the guys ... No one has anyone's back..

I think TP needs to look deep and realize that humpty isn't going to be fixed with the group he has now.... and I'm sorry to say but I think the young guns in the room have already been affected..... IMHO

From where I stand the issues with the Sabres are typical of a team where a losing mentality has taken hold in the locker room and no one has the authority to take command of the situation and reboot the season. I've been on teams where this has happened and it is an absolute nightmare and the very definition of a downward spiral. From what I have seen the only way to break out of these patterns is a full restart, either as in starting over again next season or in changing the coach.

I'm not sure what solution I'd go for for the Sabres at this point. In a normal sports league where you get relegated for being extremely terrible there would be no choice but to fire Lindy 15 games ago, but in North American leagues you actually get rewarded for being horrendous so maybe just calling a wash on this season and go for the number 1 pick makes just as much sense?

I'm pretty sure Miller has it right though, the problems with the Sabres right now can not be fixed through a trade.

1. I agree it's time for a change, and it's pretty well becoming the consensus opinion in the hockey world. Keenan concurs, and said so on the NBC Postgame show last night. He wishes he were given a fraction of the chances to stay with one team (while not having a lot to show for it) as Ruff!

However, I don't think it happens until after the season, especially based on Terry P."s stance.

2. Given the success of Paul MacLean in Ottawa, the first place I'd look is up Babcock's coaching tree for another of his protegees.

Archived