Scoreboard Watching!

deluca67

February 3rd, 2012

The Sabres stand 10 points out of eight (even amount of games played) and 8 points out of 9th (Washington has a game in hand.) The Sabres are also 1 point ahead of 15th, Montreal has played an even amount of games, Islanders have 2 games in hand and Carolina has played 2 more games than the Sabres.

Tonight's action:

Islanders @ Ottawa : The Sens are in a 4 game tail spin and 5-5 over their last ten leaving them 12 points ahead of the Sabres. The Islanders are playing one of their two games in hand and can pass the Sabres into 12th place.

Winnipeg at Florida: The Jets are in 10th place looking to go 8 points ahead of the Sabres. Florida is trying to hold to the SE Division and stand 9 points ahead of the Sabres with 2 games in hand.

February 4th, 2012

Currently five teams between the Sabres and 8th place. !0 points back, even amount of games palyed with Toronto who holds 8th place.

Pittsburgh @ Boston: Both teams out of the Sabres reach with 62 & 66 points respectively.

Washington @ Montreal: This a killer game for the Sabres. The team right below the Sabres and a team 8 points up on the Sabres with a game in hand. You have to hope for a habs win here.

Devils @ Flyers: Flyers are out of reach. Devils are on verge of ebign out of reach. Hope for a Flyer win to keep the Devils off in the horizon.

Leafs @ Sens: You have to hope for a Leafs win here. The Sens have played three more games than the Sabres, if the Sabres can cash in those 6 points they can catch the Sens.

Kings @ Carolina: Carolina is a point below the Sabres having played two more games. Kings can do the Sabres a favor here. Canes have played better and are 5-5 in their last ten including a season sweep of the Bruins.

Florida at Tampa: After a tough stretch the Panthers seem to be righting their ship. Tampa is 1 point ahead with a game in hand. Go Panthers.

All Eastern Conference matchups today.

Boston @ Washington : This is the Caps game in hand on the Sabres, they look to go 10 points up.

Pens @ Devils : This is the Devil's game in hand as they look to go up 13 points on the Sabres.

Flyers @ Rangers : A battle of two teams out the Sabres reach.

Jets @ Montreal : The Sabres will have a game in hand on Montreal and two on Wnnipeg after this one. The Jets looking to go 6 points up on the Sabres.

This may not be a popular statement while the Sabres are on a 3-0-1 streak, but I've personally written off the playoffs for this year.

8th place in the East is currently on pace for 93-94 points, which means the Sabres will have to finish the season somewhere around 20-7-3 for a realistic shot. You can call me a monkey's uncle if they pull that off.

Which isn't to say I don't respect the effort since the All Star break. But let's not forget that they're still only averaging 1.8 goals per game during this stretch.

Sunday Feburary 12th:

Capitals @ Rangers : Time to be a Rangers fan. The Capitals are burning their game in hand on the Sabres and can knock Toronto out of 8th and drop the Sabres 9 points back of 8th.

Tampa @ Pittsburgh : Tampa is also burning their game in hand on the Sabres, looking to put two points between themselves and the Sabres.

Florida @ Islanders : Islanders are also playing game #55 and like Tampa looking to put a couple of points between themselves and the Sabres. A Florida loss will also drop Florida to the 8th spot and put Washington in the 3 seed.

Philly @ Detroit : Doesn't really effect the Sabres at all, should just be some pretty good hockey.

A couple of games to keep an eye on.

San Jose @ Washington: Caps are playing their 56th game and can put the Sabres 9 points out of 8th with a game in hand. They will also knock Toronto out of 8th with a win

Carolina @ Montreal: The Canadians have won four in a row entering game #57. They enter the game tonight even in goal differential and can put 3 points between themselves and the Sabres, the Sabres will have 2 games in hand.

Tonight is going to be good.

Ottawa @ Tampa: Both teams stand between the Sabres and a playoff spot. Pick your poison, just hope it ends in regulation.

Islanders @ Jets: Two more teams right above the Sabres. Need to avoid the 3 point game.

Toronto @ Calgary: Game #57 for the Leafs. Go Flames Go. Sabres are 8 points behind with a game in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

6 pts back behind several imploding teams while the Sabres are riding a 7-3-2 (.667 pts%) streak.

In baseball terms the team is 3 games back and rising with 22 to play, doesn't sound so terrible (unless, of course, you're a hardened Seller)

This weekend's games are against probably the best 2 teams in the East vs. BOS and @NYR.

Toronto Plays Thursday at home against Pacific Division Leading Sharks, and Saturday at home against the Caps in a game that, for the Sabres, would best end in a building collapse.

My wife is a funny woman. She can't remember the password to our online bank account (or sometimes even the account number), but she remembers the rant I went on around this time last year. "We're X points out with Y games to go ... we're still in this!" Last night at the dinner table, I was laying out the scenario for last night's 3 tilts (sabres vs. isles; philly vs. jets; devils vs. TO). She kind of froze, cocked her head a bit to the side, then looked up from her ham and potatoes and said, "Holy crap ... didn't we have this *exact* conversation last year?"

Yes, dear. We did. And we'll probably have it again next year. And the year after. And the year after that ...

It's way too early to start wringing hands and watching the scoreboard. There is still over a month left in the season. If past history means anything, the Sabres will win enough games to keep them close and then it will come down to the last week of the season. If they are within reach of a playoff spot come March 27 against the Caps, then I'll break out the rosary beads. Meanwhile, the team just needs to calm down and play consistently. Slow and steady will do the trick...

"Holy crap ... didn't we have this *exact* conversation last year?"

Yes, dear. We did. And we'll probably have it again next year. And the year after. And the year after that ...

Couldn't be exactly the same conversation. The Sabres had the 8th best record through 60 GP last year, so they were 0 points out (maybe 1 due to the tie-breaker) with 22 to go. This year, they are 6 points back from 8th with 22 to go.

For the record, they went 14-4-4 after that point and still finished just 3 points ahead of 8th and 5 ahead of 9th. Teams, even bad ones, get points over a stretch that long. Nine of the EC teams earned 25-29 points last year over the final 22GP, and almost all were in the 20's.

Couldn't be exactly the same conversation. The Sabres had the 8th best record through 60 GP last year, so they were 0 points out (maybe 1 due to the tie-breaker) with 22 to go. This year, they are 6 points back from 8th with 22 to go.

For the record, they went 14-4-4 after that point and still finished just 3 points ahead of 8th and 5 ahead of 9th. Teams, even bad ones, get points over a stretch that long. Nine of the EC teams earned 25-29 points last year over the final 22GP, and almost all were in the 20's.

no .... it *was* the exact same conversation. i didn't say "on this date in 2011, we had x conversation"; i said "last year ..." so yes--we did indeed have the exact same conversation last year.

anyway, my point is that this probably isn't the last year we have this conversation. for that matter, the sabres could be in 3rd, and i'd still be hammering out "what-if' scenarios for overtaking 2nd.

Washington just lost to Ottawa. With the top seven teams seemingly in place, that leaves only one spot for contention. I think Washington is the key team that the Sbres need to pass. I know they have to pass them all, but that should clean up the mess out of the SE division. I'm just not worried about Toronto, and don't forget Winnipeg is a less than a year removed from being the Thrashers who seemed to always find a way to finish 9th or 10th. As for the rest of the teams, if the Sabres play well enough to catch up, I think they easily leave Tampa Carolina and Montreal in the dust.

The goal may be to win the cup. That has little chance of happening, but who ever complains about them having two weeks of playoff games even if they do lose.

Washington just lossed to Ottawa. With the top seven teams seemingly in place, that leaves only one spot for contention. I think Washington is the key team that the Sbres need to pass. I know they have to pass them all, but that should clean up the mess out of the SE division. I'm just not worried about Toronto, and don't forget Winnipeg is a less than a year removed from being the Thrashers who seemed to always find a way to finish 9th or 10th. As for the rest of the teams, if the Sabres play well enough to catch up, I think they easily leave Tampa Carolina and Montreal in the dust.

The goal may be to win the cup. That has little chance of happening, but who ever complains about them having two weeks of playoff games even if they do lose.

I do when it negatively affects their ability to assemble a team that has a realistic shot at winning the cup. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd watch the playoffs and may even be rather entertained, but I am very, very tired of the same dull ride we've been on for most of the last 15 years. We had one trip on the front car of the Comet and 14 years of the merry go round. Gat Dam but if I wasn't from Buffalo and wasn't so emotionally invested I'd go find a new theme park.

I do when it negatively affects their ability to assemble a team that has a realistic shot at winning the cup. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd watch the playoffs and may even be rather entertained, but I am very, very tired of the same dull ride we've been on for most of the last 15 years. We had one trip on the front car of the Comet and 14 years of the merry go round. Gat Dam but if I wasn't from Buffalo and wasn't so emotionally invested I'd go find a new theme park.

Guess I'm just a cheap thrill guy.

I get your point though and I want to be on that page, but when playofftime rolls around I'm just another sell out.

You can't win if you're not in. We may not win if we're in, but we definitely won't win if we're out.

We lost in the first round last year and, while not messing with a few of the problem areas of the team (Roy, etc), we went out and got three new players. Who's to say that more changes won't happen even if we finish this year as strong as possible? There's no rule saying that if you make the playoffs, you make no changes. If Darcy or Pegula or whoever are so adamantly against changes as some claim, then they'd be adamantly against changes regardless of whether we're in the playoffs or not, so we might as well make them.

Archived