Ted Black: If You Fire Lindy, There's Nobody to Hire!!

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Great idea!

I love how you stated it. Fans are afraid that Lindy will go somewhere else and win. Not that he will win here, that he will win elsewhere.

I don't think that is the case anymore. I see dwindling support for Lindy these days.

Does Buffalo promote the quality coaches they have had at AHL or Junior levels up to assistants on the big club ? No they let other NHL teams hire them away and give them their chance(Dineen most recently, Cunneyworth before that, and other's over the last 14 years).

Is Lindy so insecure in his job that he cannot allow other experienced voices into the room ? Is it my way or the highway ?

Nice Post! The bolded part reminds me of the discussion on why Reiger doesn't have an assistant GM.

Yeah...good post Duds.

A strong and secure leader wants as many good people around him as possible. I can bicker with Taro, Eleven, nfreeman, etc.....but I am 20x better because of them. They make me think, they make me research, they make me question myself, and they make me even more confident in my gut when I am right. A little tension can be a great thing.

Now just a cotton-pickin' minute. Those AHL coaches going to other franchises has nothing to do with any imagined insecurities of Lindy. Those guys were hired as NHL head coaches, not assistants. They weren't interested in NHL assistant jobs. It would have been way out of line for the Sabres to refuse to allow them to take NHL head coaching jobs and instead force them to serve as LR's assistants.

Great idea!

I love how you stated it. Fans are afraid that Lindy will go somewhere else and win. Not that he will win here, that he will win elsewhere.

I love Lindy. If he goes somewhere else, I truly want him to be successful and win the cup. I also want the guy who replaces him here to be successful and win the cup. I also believe now more than ever, that chz not only gets paid by the Sabres organization, but is between 1 and 3 different people who may or may not be female.

Great idea!

You could say the same about people who hold up Danny Paille as a reason why the Sabres shouldn't make trades.

For my part, I'm not fearful that he'd win somewhere else (he would) as much as I'm fearful that the Sabres would enter into a long spiral of coach-switching and suckage. There really is no one better to hire. And most of the coaching changes haven't resulted in market improvement. You can mention Hitch all you want as the counterexample; Saint Louis isn't going to the finals with that TEAM. (That's the problem here, too; ignore it all you want for a "fix" that will accomplish nothing.)

You could say the same about people who hold up Danny Paille as a reason why the Sabres shouldn't make trades. For my part, I'm not fearful that he'd win somewhere else (he would) as much as I'm fearful that the Sabres would enter into a long spiral of coach-switching and suckage. There really is no one better to hire. And most of the coaching changes haven't resulted in market improvement. You can mention Hitch all you want as the counterexample; Saint Louis isn't going to the finals with that TEAM. (That's the problem here, too; ignore it all you want for a "fix" that will accomplish nothing.)

Hearing this from anyone makes me want kill myself,.. in a horribly painful way.

Watch the Sabres?

It does.

I'm sorry, Swamp. Stay with us.

The fact that you would say that very thing in a thread that has stated that there is and was better coaches out there is just baffling to me. For better or worse, at this point I need change for the sake of change.

It does.

The fact that you would say that very thing in a thread that has stated that there is and was better coaches out there is just baffling to me. For better or worse, at this point I need change for the sake of change.

I know what's stated. I just disagreed with it. I don't think that much of Julien or Bylsma, for example, and I'd bet that not many here did until those guys inherited excellent teams. In Bylsma's case, I'd bet that not one person here knew his name before Pittsburgh hired him.

And I think we all know my stance on change for the sake of change.

I'll step out of the bitchuary, again, if I'm bothering you, though.

But before I go: Shouldn't Bylsma have been fired for not making the finals last year? I know he was missing his best player, but that excuse doesn't fly around here. Plus, even without Crosby, that roster is top-to-bottom better than Buffalo's. Was there not a point where Claude Julien lost in the first round, and then in the second (twice)? Do Boston fans regret keeping him around? (No, because Boston fixed its roster.)

I'll let you muse on the rest of it.

I know what's stated. I just disagreed with it. I don't think that much of Julien or Bylsma, for example, and I'd bet that not many here did until those guys inherited excellent teams. In Bylsma's case, I'd bet that not one person here knew his name before Pittsburgh hired him.

"Not only that, all 4 of them TOOK THEIR TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS THE SAME YEAR THEY TOOK OVER A TEAM THAT WAS OUT OF PLAYOFF POSITION AT THE TIME."

I guess you missed that part...........

The bolded for me is the heart of the issue. You (and others) keep saying that there is nobody else out there who is better than Lindy to coach the Sabres, yet you mention someone who nobody knew who led his team to a Cup. How do you know if you don't try?

The bolded for me is the heart of the issue. You (and others) keep saying that there is nobody else out there who is better than Lindy to coach the Sabres, yet you mention someone who nobody knew who led his team to a Cup. How do you know if you don't try?

Dan Bylsma was the Kevin Dineen of Pittsburgh and only brought in as interm coach. Kevin Dineen looks like he may have done ok here given his team is spending $25 million less in player payments this year than the Sabres, eh?

I think Pegula's daughter can coach this team and only have them 3 slots lower in the conference....

Dan Bylsma was the Kevin Dineen of Pittsburgh and only brought in as interm coach. Kevin Dineen looks like he may have done ok here given his team is spending $25 million less in player payments this year than the Sabres, eh?

I think Pegula's daughter can coach this team and only have them 3 slots lower in the conference....

I don't want to sound like a dick, but to say Lindy is the best or only choice right now just sounds like fanboyism to me. Anybody can coach anyone to a Cup. It just takes the right combination of personalities to gel at the right time and get it right. Just because he has been here forever doesn't mean he needs to be here forever.

You could say the same about people who hold up Danny Paille as a reason why the Sabres shouldn't make trades.

For my part, I'm not fearful that he'd win somewhere else (he would) as much as I'm fearful that the Sabres would enter into a long spiral of coach-switching and suckage. There really is no one better to hire. And most of the coaching changes haven't resulted in market improvement. You can mention Hitch all you want as the counterexample; Saint Louis isn't going to the finals with that TEAM. (That's the problem here, too; ignore it all you want for a "fix" that will accomplish nothing.)

Is a "spiral of coaches and suckage" any better or worse than a "long tenured coach and suckage?"

I don't want to sound like a dick, but to say Lindy is the best or only choice right now just sounds like fanboyism to me. Anybody can coach anyone to a Cup. It just takes the right combination of personalities to gel at the right time and get it right. Just because he has been here forever doesn't mean he needs to be here forever.

Ruff has been given far more time to get the job done than most coaches could ever hope for.

This deserves it's own thread as "Is Lindy on the Hot Seat?" has been proven that he isn't by Ted Black, week after week. I will take him at face value.

One of the biggest things I have heard as a reason not to fire Ruff over the past 5 years is the answer, "well, who out there is better than him?"

In researching the physicality of the top teams in the east and the makeup of their defense and top 6 guys, I noticed something else.

Boston (Julien), Philly (Laviolette), NY (Tortorella), Pittsburgh (Bylsma).......all have won Stanley Cups and ALL HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE TO HIRE SINCE THE TIME LINDY LAST WON A PLAYOFF SERIES!!!!

Not only that, 3 of them have been to the last 3 Stanley Cups.......

Not only that, all 4 of them TOOK THEIR TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS THE SAME YEAR THEY TOOK OVER A TEAM THAT WAS OUT OF PLAYOFF POSITION AT THE TIME.

Not only that, those past 3 Cup runs came THE SAME YEAR, 1 YEAR LATER, and 3 YEARS AFTER taking over a team that wasn't in the playoffs.

To add insult to injury, there is also Kevin Dineen.

I don't know what more you need to see. These 4 guys all turned around the team in short order and if the Rangers go to the Cup this year, it is 4 for 4 Cup runs. "Team Stormcloud" has been saying the same things for 5 years....the team is soft, it is overbuilt with skill guys, they are robots in a system and do not play with instinct or heart, they rarely put in a full 60 minutes of effort....etc...etc..etc.

Well guess what? As much as some people are sick of hearing the SAME THING from myself and some others.....we have seen the SAME RESULTS...year after year.

Have patience you say.......it takes time you say......

Well I've had patience. I've been laying out the failure of this team from top to bottom the past 5 years. I've been called names, called a liar, told to kill myself, threatened.....and that goes for others here as well. There are plenty of non-lighningrod posters that have edured the same pathetic results on the ice while having the same common sense outlook on this organisation. Now we have the league-wide results. You see how the top teams in the league build their teams, with grit and leaders to go along with skill. You see that it is possible to turn around a team in short order when going in a different direction. And you've seen the same characters, excuses, systems, and mindset from the Buffalo Sabres the past 5 years....and it seems a passionate owner who wants to treat everyone like gold hasn't been able to enlarge any hearts, brains, or gonads at 1 Seymoure H. Knox III Plaza.

Ted Black.....I'm BEGGING you. Please look at the data. Please look at the results. Please look at the faces of your coach and players on the bench and on the ice game after game, year after year. It's easy to want to dismiss the rumblings of the fans......but everyone who knows Darcy and Lindy and a few of the core players know these are sick...sick dogs that need to be put out of their misery

Look at the TRUE impact of injury this year and the results your injured players have put up when in the lineup. Look at the numbers and be honest in comparison to who HAS been in the lineup and the amount of cash Terry Pegula has spent this year. Then look at the standings. Then look out the window at that big glittering ball with "2012" on it that is going to drop in a matter of hours.

I understand the difficulty in having to fire an employee. However, Darcy and Lindy have collected an estimated $40 million from the Buffalo Sabres over the years. This isn't the line cook in the Harbor Club who needs to feed a family of 5 on $30K a year that you are giving the ax to.

Ted....I love your out of the box thinking.....I love your honesty......I love your humor.......and I was happier than anyone when Terry bought this team. I know his heart is in the right place. I love the community outreach his family has made and how he wants to treat the Sabres as one big family. The problem with family is, sometimes you need to make tough decisions and show tough love. We would all love our child to be able to get a free ride to Penn St. or Pitt Law, but when year after year, test after test, grade after grade come in.......and things are getting worse, not better........either that kid needs to get shaken up.....or he is just not smart enough to get it done. Probably both.

You have justification to pull the trigger. You have vocal cover now. This is the time to do it. If not now, anything less than an amazing run with a playoff victory is going to leave an apathetic fanbase, and even if a change at GM and Coach is made, another year is lost.

Good Luck.

Google cache is my friend...............transcript to follow!!!!

Haha!! It's even better with the search terms bolded......

Page 2

The difference between Ruff and Blysma is simple. The penguins play hard and play their system to a T

Although I am not a Ruff fan, I do not believe he is a bad coach or has a bad system. His team just not buy into or play it.

If you watch a lot of Pittsburgh games you will relize they are really not that much more talented than the Sabres. Just look at the defencemen who got the most starts over the last year. Sure Malkin is a Superstar, but how much more does he bring than Vanek?

Look at the wingers the Pens have, outside of that guy they picked up from Dallas, they are just a bunch of hard working puck-hounding guys.

I remember when a player like Satan stood out on this team because of his nonchalance. Would anyone even notice anymore?

This thread doesn't surprise me.

To suggest that there are no other coaches on the planet to replace Ruff is quite...shocking. Unless a known name is available, then firing Ruff is senseless? Where do new NHL coaches come from, then?

That, to me, is like saying only top draft prospects can become elite players.

I will say that this is the job of a GM - I would think any prospective GM can fire off a list of prospective coaches available now. That's the beauty of the competitive mindset.

Not sure what went wrong in this thread, but it aint pretty. It's still the season for peace and love ... can you two please just kiss and make up already. Seriously, rather grade eightish for two adults. Just my 2 cents ... Canadian.

As to the question ... I believe there are many options out there.

I would entertain the notion of bringing back Ted Nolan as coach, so long as DR is sent packing along with LR.

As the Great One stated so eloquently in the 'Bo Knows' commercial, 'No.'

"Not only that, all 4 of them TOOK THEIR TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS THE SAME YEAR THEY TOOK OVER A TEAM THAT WAS OUT OF PLAYOFF POSITION AT THE TIME."

I guess you missed that part...........

So what's so impressive about that. Lindy Ruff has to have taken at least 5 teams to the playoffs that were out of playoff position in January/February. ;)

It does.

OK, but would a roster shakeup give you what you need? Do you need that AND a coaching change? Not arguing, just asking.

Personally, I need a roster shakeup. Not a full teardown, but I want changes (plural) in the "top 6."

OK, but would a roster shakeup give you what you need? Do you need that AND a coaching change? Not arguing, just asking.

Personally, I need a roster shakeup. Not a full teardown, but I want changes (plural) in the "top 6."

How Many moves is a "roster shakeup".

I don't think one move will cut it. I don't think even two would, but firing the coach is only one move.

The time for multiple roster changes is the summer and that ship has sailed.

Stop being so apathetic.

I love Lindy. If he goes somewhere else, I truly want him to be successful and win the cup. I also want the guy who replaces him here to be successful and win the cup. I also believe now more than ever, that chz not only gets paid by the Sabres organization, but is between 1 and 3 different people who may or may not be female.

I'm with you on all points.

Archived