GDT: Leafs at Sabres 12/16/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

Thanks for posting.... When I don't have much time to watch the game or follow here, I can always scan the last couple pages of the GDT the day after and find your post for some perspective.

By the way, did anyone else think that Ehrhoff may have gotten the puck before anything else on Kulemin on that penalty shot call? Tough to tell exactly from the only angle I got on NHL.com highlights, but a good effort by Ehrhoff either way. Of course ref's gotta call that even on a close one.

I love it. He's like our Scott Hartnell.

That is EXACTLY who I want him to be like.

The comparison has been bouncing around my dome for a while. Looking at Hartnell's numbers and have watched the doosh bag more than I care to remember, I think Kassian's ceiling is higher. Hartnell is a power forward with above average hands and average ice vision. I see Kassian's hands and vision better than Hartnell. Hartnell's best season was 30 G 60 P. I don't think Kassian will top that regularly but I could see longer sustained offensive ability. Like averaging 25 g 65 P when his game fully matures, especially if he's playing with Vanek. I think that's a must at some point. Not sure who should pivot them, Roy is not a good fit. Adam was decent with Vanek, so was Hecht. Please no Leino, Goose or God forbid McCormick or Ellis.

Thanks for posting.... When I don't have much time to watch the game or follow here, I can always scan the last couple pages of the GDT the day after and find your post for some perspective.

By the way, did anyone else think that Ehrhoff may have gotten the puck before anything else on Kulemin on that penalty shot call? Tough to tell exactly from the only angle I got on NHL.com highlights, but a good effort by Ehrhoff either way. Of course ref's gotta call that even on a close one.

I didn't see it, but if that's the way it went down, that's the second time (at least) this season that Ehrhoff has been jobbed for a penalty shot. Against Washington, he definitely got the puck first.

Oh and Kassian sure got hit with the ugly stick...Getting checked face first into the boards isn't helping that either,...

Kassian is exactly what I want all of my players too look like. Mean, grizzled, and scary

(is it wrong that I find him mildly attractive)

I didn't see it, but if that's the way it went down, that's the second time (at least) this season that Ehrhoff has been jobbed for a penalty shot. Against Washington, he definitely got the puck first.

I think we all know my penchant for not complaining about the officiating but that call was just stupid. How many times have we seen that exact play result in a 2 minute minor or no penalty at all.

The comparison has been bouncing around my dome for a while. Looking at Hartnell's numbers and have watched the doosh bag more than I care to remember, I think Kassian's ceiling is higher. Hartnell is a power forward with above average hands and average ice vision. I see Kassian's hands and vision better than Hartnell. Hartnell's best season was 30 G 60 P. I don't think Kassian will top that regularly but I could see longer sustained offensive ability. Like averaging 25 g 65 P when his game fully matures, especially if he's playing with Vanek. I think that's a must at some point. Not sure who should pivot them, Roy is not a good fit. Adam was decent with Vanek, so was Hecht. Please no Leino, Goose or God forbid McCormick or Ellis.

To be honest, i think a line of Vanek, Kassian, and Leino is one of the best potential lines we could put together.

To be honest, i think a line of Vanek, Kassian, and Leino is one of the best potential lines we could put together.

In terms of puck possession in the O-zone, I think you're on to something here. I'd like to see it anyway.

GO SABRES!!!

Whether I'm right or not is for others to debate, but in my mind I am sure. Roy plays great defense and it's very understated. It happens often when we'll be chasing our own tail in our zone and Roy will just come in, get the puck, and make the right pass to start out of the zone.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the quote of the night

RJ- "Put the kids to bed, this is ugly!"

Not saying you are right or wrong, just that I haven't seen his defensive strengths....I guess I have been too busy getting sidetracked & annoyed by his stupid, lazy offensive zone penalties. I will definitely make it a point to pay attention to his defensive play ....

Canadiens fans are equally ignorant and usually Ottawa fans too. I will say however the the game on Tuesday Ottawa fans were good and last nights game was probably the most respectfull I have ever seen Leaf fans in our building. Usually they are chanting go leafs go during the entire US anthem. = a holes to me.

Everything was good natured last night not stupid and ignorant a holes. Even while they were entering the building and chanting go leafs go, i hollered back while sitting down eating to get a lets go Buffalo counter chant going. As the leaf fans quieted down while going up the escalator to the 300 level they saw that i was wearing a Miller jersey and started the Miller, Miller, Miller taunt. It was all good.

Leaf fans were amognst the first people to get out of their seat and applaud the soldiers that were saluted twice. I appreciate the respect that shows as half the time our own damn fans dont get up an applaud them. Stand up and let them know they are appriciated for Christ's sake.

The last Leaf game I was at we had a fight in the Club level. Our crowd was still lamo for a lot of time last night. I have no voice left today and am very happy about that. My club section looked at me when I turned shouting Lets Go Buffalo like i had an infectious disease. Losers.

Great points throughout this post. I'm Canadian but I was sure to stand during the recognition of the soldiers while at the game last weekend. I'm not going to go political on this board but their bravery for mainting North America (well Canada and the United States atleast) as the greatest place on earth should not go un-noticed. Anyways, I'm glade ur voice is gone, we need fans like that. Not drunk obnoxious fans (which I'm sure you weren't) but this isn't the opera, it's a hockey game, let's get loud. Crowd sounded amazing to me last night and that was the most fun I've had watching a game this year. I'm pretty pumped that we're in with the Leafs during this realignment next year because I could see us continuing to build this thing into a serious rivalery in the future.

As someone else said, I would love to see Vanek Kassian and Adam. I only say this because Leino has already made a comment regarding playing better on the wing and we need a legit true center to play on the Vanek line IMO. On a side note, I feel like Adam is comming along very nicely. Lately he hasn't had the praise guys like Kassian have had but he is a big part of our future going forward and I'm excited by him.

Awesome pic with everyone standing, mouths open.

136028753_slide.jpg

Great photograh. Look at that one jackwagon Leaf fan in the front row by the stairs. He must have paid a pretty penny for those seats but he'd rather watch the breakaway on the jumbo tron than right in front of him lol.

As someone else said, I would love to see Vanek Kassian and Adam. I only say this because Leino has already made a comment regarding playing better on the wing and we need a legit true center to play on the Vanek line IMO. On a side note, I feel like Adam is comming along very nicely. Lately he hasn't had the praise guys like Kassian have had but he is a big part of our future going forward and I'm excited by him.

While i understand where you're coming from, i just cant help but think that Leino could turn into a successful center if he plays with these two, Leino and Kassian are both extremely different players, but they both hang on to the puck like noone else on this team, and they both have excellent hands and vision to boot.

Couple Leino and Kassian's passing and ability to hound the puck with our Austrain big gun, and i think we're looking at one of the better lines this team has seen since Briere Vanek Afinagenov

Hey. Anyone watch the game on Fios last night?

How did it look?

It looked just like you would expect it to.

However, I don't like the MSG graphics - or rather, I like them less now. I also was surprised to see just how itty-bitty Dimples and Roby's desk is.

No they shouldn't. Dangerous, preventable plays need to be severely punished. It's time to change the thinking about the game. That was not a hockey play. The only thing that comes out of that play is injury. Suspend him and start changing attitudes.

It's not the worst hit we've ever seen, but I agree with you. If the league wants to get serious about preventing injury, it needs to issue suspensions for hits like that even where the injury isn't severe.

Dion lying about it after the game (says he was just trying to finish his check and Kassian turned into the boards at the last second) doesn't help.

Agree on both counts. But the league isn't serious about it. At least not yet.

No hearing. No nothing.

I'm not going to rant about it, but the league won't change if there isn't discipline for these hits even when no serious injury results.

It looked just like you would expect it to.

However, I don't like the MSG graphics - or rather, I like them less now. I also was surprised to see just how itty-bitty Dimples and Roby's desk is.

You should see it in person sometime. It is very small indeed.

What about moving Kass up to the first line and shifting Poms to the middle?

He's defensively responsible, a good passer, a better faceoff man than Leino and Adam and we get to keep his chemistry with Vanek.

Zac gives them the good passing big body Getzlaf-ish presence they need.

Do it Lindy!

Archived