Keeping the young guys up in Buffalo

Drunkard

Keeping the young guys up in Buffalo  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the rookie/injury call ups should not be sent back down to Rochester

• Zack Kassian
    • Corey Tropp
    • Paul Szczechura
    • Brayden McNabb
    • Joe Finley
    • TJ Brennan

Even though we lost to phucken Filly, I absolutely love what I've been seeing from these young guys that have been called up because of injury. Given the upcoming realignment and the importance of division/conference play beginning next season, I think it will be critical to get these guys more experience so we can match the physical play and intensity of the Boston Massholes, especially come playoff time. So who do you think has shown enough that we need to find a permanent spot for on the roster? Who would you try to move once guys start getting healthy?

Personally, I'd never let Kassian get close enough to Rochester to even smell a garbage plate ever again. I'd also love to find a way to keep Tropp, McNabb, and possibly Finley. If I had to pick right now, who I'd like for them to replace once guys start getting healthy I'd go with Boyes, Sekera, Gragnani, and possibly either Ellis or even Stafford. We definitely need to at least find a way to keep Kassian up though. Out of the 4 I picked Finley is probably the least NHL ready, but if they kept him as the 7th defenseman and played him against the more physical teams he may still develop. Some more time in Rochester may not be a bad thing though.

Agreed on Kassian. I think he stays up for good. VERY impressed with him so far. (#1 on my xmas list is Kassian's jersey) All of the others could use a little more seasoning in my opinion, with McNabb the most ready to be a permanent fixture. Tropp is close, but could use more ice time in Rochester to refine his game.

Agreed on Kassian. I think he stays up for good. VERY impressed with him so far. (#1 on my xmas list is Kassian's jersey) All of the others could use a little more seasoning in my opinion, with McNabb the most ready to be a permanent fixture. Tropp is close, but could use more ice time in Rochester to refine his game.

I 100% agree. I voted Mcnabb and Kass to stay, but if Mcnasty needed to go back to Rochester for a little more seasoning , I wouldn't complain. I like his grit and his tenacity. He did look like a fool agaisnt Jagr, but I think that's attributed more to experience (Jagr has like 50 years on him (sarcasm...kind of)). I don't think Finley is anywhere near ready to be a regular, nor is Brennan. Tropp and Chewie will make for good fill ins/injury call ups for now.

Kassian didn't see much ice late in regulation. By the 3rd period I had the game on but wasn't paying much attention. Can someone relate what was going on in Kassian's game that had Lindy bench him?

I'm *this close* (holds thumb and fore finger real close together) to saying Kassian needs to stay up, but Kass was sitting for big chunks of time late last night and the previous game. Before I go and say Kassian needs to stay up I want to hear/understand what's going on with his play that convinced Ruff to sit our best offensive force in the 1st period for a decent chunk of the 3rd period when we were down a goal.

As for the others, when the roster is healthy I suspect the team is better served with those kids getting time in Rochester still. McNabb may be the exception, but from what I recall he didn't have a great game last night either.

Kassian didn't see much ice late in regulation. By the 3rd period I had the game on but wasn't paying much attention. Can someone relate what was going on in Kassian's game that had Lindy bench him?

I'm *this close* (holds thumb and fore finger real close together) to saying Kassian needs to stay up, but Kass was sitting for big chunks of time late last night and the previous game. Before I go and say Kassian needs to stay up I want to hear/understand what's going on with his play that convinced Ruff to sit our best offensive force in the 1st period for a decent chunk of the 3rd period when we were down a goal.

As for the others, when the roster is healthy I suspect the team is better served with those kids getting time in Rochester still. McNabb may be the exception, but from what I recall he didn't have a great game last night either.

I honestly have no idea as to why Lindy was sitting him. My gut says he just wanted to play the veterans a little more even though the rooks are who put them ahead to begin with. If you look at Vanek, Pom's, etc ice time, they're over 20 mins. just a suspicion though.

Kassian didn't see much ice late in regulation. By the 3rd period I had the game on but wasn't paying much attention. Can someone relate what was going on in Kassian's game that had Lindy bench him?.

I think the Versus guys commented that "kassian hasn't been out much" in the 3rd but failed to notice he just finished a shift. He had over 15 minutes of ice time. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2011120702 More than Luke Adam, and I think was out on the 3rd OT shift.

McNabb should go back and keep working. The big hits are welcome but have led to a couple odd man situations.

Finley isn't ready for the speed. He's not getting much ice at all and you can see why when's out there....nervous. I liked the penalty he took in the first period last night but I wonder if Lindy did.

Tropp and Szeczchura look OK but not on the "could be great" trajectory like Kassian and maybe McNabb. I'll take Boyes, Gaustad, and Kaleta healthy instead.

Speaking of Gaustad .... I didn't miss him last night. The penalty kill was perfect, maybe just losing a few more face-offs without him. Then again, Hecht seemed to be in the circle first when Pommers seemed to be winning a lot lately. Don't know Jochen's %, but I figure he would step in if the Captain gets tossed ...

Finley...I am not even sure why he is here instead of Scheistel or Brennan, unless it is strictly for the toughness element with Gaustad, McCormick and Kaleta out of the lineup. He goes back as soon as the injuries lessen.

Szcsdjffjls;fjsl...Maybe make a nice 4th liner, but this team is loaded with JAG's. Helps Rochester more than he helps the Sabres

McNabb...Clearly has some skating and positioning issues that need to be worked on. I've noticed he is very prone to getting beat to the outside. Best place to improve the AHL.

Brennan...I think he should be the first blueline call-up from Rochester.

Kassian...Toughest call. He clearly has shown some offensive game in his handful of games here, and played more physical than he did in Rochester. That being said, he is best served playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL versus 12-13 in the NHL. There will be a top 6 spot waiting for him come October of 2012. In the meantime, work on your skating and play with out the puck(he was one of the guys caught standing still at the blueline as Jagr skated by him like a pylon).

Tropp...I like his 3rd line/4th line potential. He is a good skater, doesn't shy away from the physical game, doesn't seem to embarass himself in the offensive zone, and showed last night that he can throw bombs. He should be the guy to fill the places on these lines in case of injuries.

Finley isn't ready for the speed. He's not getting much ice at all and you can see why when's out there....nervous. I liked the penalty he took in the first period last night but I wonder if Lindy did.

If Lindy had a problem with one of our guys immediately going to bat for one of our guys who got hit well then...Fire his ass.

Kassian has made the biggest impact so far, I would like for him to stick around for a little while longer at least. He's a little rough around the edges but he's injected some much needed energy into the line-up. Kaleta actually playing consecutive games would be a Festivus miracle so I believe he'll have some more time.

I've liked McNabb's game so far as well but once Weber is healthy I think he can go back and keep working. Brennan seemed to be the first choice anyway before he was injured.

Given his past injury problems I think Finley would be better served getting steady playing time rather than sitting around doing nothing as the 7th up here (which is Weber's job). He hasn't really seen a lot of ice either, he had like four minutes the one game. That's getting into Andrew Peters territory.

I'm honestly surprised that Szchzhzechura played at all since he was clearly brought in to be a farm hand but he showed he can be a decent enough last resort fill-in at least. I don't think Tropp gets into an every day spot yet either but he's good enough to step in right away if when somebody goes down.

Given his past injury problems I think Finley would be better served getting steady playing time rather than sitting around doing nothing as the 7th up here (which is Weber's job). He hasn't really seen a lot of ice either, he had like four minutes the one game. That's getting into Andrew Peters territory.

pretty sure that is soon to be MAG's job...just sayin :rolleyes:

Let Stafford sit for Kass possibly when healthy. I'm very impressed with Kassian actually. If we can trade Weber i'd contemplate keeping Finley as well, but on that condition.

I 100% agree. I voted Mcnabb and Kass to stay, but if Mcnasty needed to go back to Rochester for a little more seasoning , I wouldn't complain. I like his grit and his tenacity. He did look like a fool agaisnt Jagr, but I think that's attributed more to experience (Jagr has like 50 years on him (sarcasm...kind of)). I don't think Finley is anywhere near ready to be a regular, nor is Brennan. Tropp and Chewie will make for good fill ins/injury call ups for now.

.Weber skates faster and better than finley. Weber also is much better positionally and can pass much better. I would trade MAG or Sekera before touching Weber because this team has a lot of soft defensemen who can "pass" well and that does not seem to be doing much for us does it? Everyone is blaming McNabb on the jagr goal... Did NO ONE see Sekera backing away from jagr? He just kept backing up and then McNabb finally came over to put a body on jagr... Sekera or MAG need to go, sooner rather than later. They bring nothing to the team it doesn't already have and they bring a lot to the team (softness) it has to much of.

You know, as much as I hope you're right, he somehow will remain in. After all, he has the best plus/minus on the team so he must be good.

yeah...I just noticed that. I'm surprised.

Also, Lindy praised him earlier in the season as the team's best passer. I think Lindy needs to rethink that. ;)

I agree with you on all points. Kassian looks good, but it's such a small sample size. I mean look at Gragnani in last year's playoffs and now.

The young guys look good and have size and grit, all of which the team plainly needs. But you have to be careful not to ruin them by rushing them too fast. And of course, the clean house crowd wants most of them up, until they fail. As in football, the back-up QB is always the most popular with the fans(unless you are Tyler Thigpen).

Not unless Lindy's love affair with him has ended. Speaking of, where are all the posters that were sucking his dick for the first 1/4 of the season? The guy sucks, did suck and will continue to suck. He's so soft he makes Sekera look like Dave Shultz. Any ounce of forecheck he pukes all over himself.

I've changed my attitude towards him. I'll admit it, I had a man-crush on him after the playoffs last year. It's gone as quickly as it started though...

Finley...I am not even sure why he is here instead of Scheistel or Brennan, unless it is strictly for the toughness element with Gaustad, McCormick and Kaleta out of the lineup. He goes back as soon as the injuries lessen.

Szcsdjffjls;fjsl...Maybe make a nice 4th liner, but this team is loaded with JAG's. Helps Rochester more than he helps the Sabres

McNabb...Clearly has some skating and positioning issues that need to be worked on. I've noticed he is very prone to getting beat to the outside. Best place to improve the AHL.

Brennan...I think he should be the first blueline call-up from Rochester.

Kassian...Toughest call. He clearly has shown some offensive game in his handful of games here, and played more physical than he did in Rochester. That being said, he is best served playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL versus 12-13 in the NHL. There will be a top 6 spot waiting for him come October of 2012. In the meantime, work on your skating and play with out the puck(he was one of the guys caught standing still at the blueline as Jagr skated by him like a pylon).

Tropp...I like his 3rd line/4th line potential. He is a good skater, doesn't shy away from the physical game, doesn't seem to embarass himself in the offensive zone, and showed last night that he can throw bombs. He should be the guy to fill the places on these lines in case of injuries.

Good post. I agree with all of this except I am pretty close, like Weave, to endorsing a permanent spot for Kassian. In my ideal scenario Kassian keeps it up and one or two of the Sabres' underachieving top 6 forwards is traded, with a defenseman, for a difference-maker at forward, creating a spot up for Kassian.

Not unless Lindy's love affair with him has ended. Speaking of, where are all the posters that were sucking his dick for the first 1/4 of the season? The guy sucks, did suck and will continue to suck. He's so soft he makes Sekera look like Dave Shultz. Any ounce of forecheck he pukes all over himself.

Well, this is an awfully vulgar post.

Good post. I agree with all of this except I am pretty close, like Weave, to endorsing a permanent spot for Kassian. In my ideal scenario Kassian keeps it up and one or two of the Sabres' underachieving top 6 forwards is traded, with a defenseman, for a difference-maker at forward, creating a spot up for Kassian.

I think at this point, that is the best thing that could happen to this team. I'm not going to speculate a trade, or propose one, but I think it would be good for this team.

While I love the energy and excitement the call-ups have been bringing, most of them still need some seasoning in Rochester. Kassian is about the only one who I would be okay with a permanent spot if one were made for him. Kassian's downside looks no worse to me than Adam's - both need to hustle more and contribute to the backcheck.

On WGR this morning, Ted Black made it sound like they're looking for a trade (he didn't say trade, but they're not in a position to do anything else). Your parameters here seem ideal to me, as well. Let's hope they do it.

Paul Hamilton keeps saying that he thinks all the rookies should eventually be sent back down to finish out their first years in the AHL, and I tend to agree. Long term I think these guys might develop better if they spent more of their first pro seasons in the AHL. Stafford only played 34 games in the AHL before coming up. He did great initially and he's been insanely inconsistent ever since. Meanwhile, Pominville played 235 AHL games (obviously helped by the lockout) before becoming a full-time Sabre and he went on to become our captain and second best forward.

Kassian is too important to our future to risk screwing up his development. I feel the same way about McNabb and Foligno as well. If we get healthy, send the kids down.

I seen Kassian play 10-12 times in the Juniors over the last two years in Erie. He was barely noticable other than his size against the Otters who were mostly small quick skill players. I heard Lindy said he had a poor preseason with on a team with a lot of the same type of players, even one from the Otters, Phil Varone. The last few games against NHL size and talent he looked great for a rookie. Keep him up he obviously is an NHLer. I don't care who is in the line up ahead of him.

If he's playing better in the NHL than he is in the minors why send Kassian down?

There is plenty o' history of players needing AHL experience to be good NHL'rs. But I'm sure some of you would also say that some players may be bored down there and never really lift their play unless the are challenged to lift it.

I won't be pissed if he gets sent down, which he inevitably will. Just be the last to go.

Archived