Philadelphia at Buffalo (12/7/2011, 7:30pm)

Corp000085

In all seriousness, all knee jerk reactions aside, there is literally no reason why Gragnani should ever have to suit up for the Sabres again.

Leopold comes back, send MAG down, keep Finley up. Wait till Myers/Weber comes back, send Finley back down and decide from there.

MAG is inept, and that's not just a reaction from tonight.

Are you serious? No, really. Are. You. Serious.? Do you know why Finley plays as little as he does? Heck, do you watch Finley when he is on the ice? Going after Rinaldo after a check on Ennis does not make Joe Finley a starting defenseman in the NHL. I don't even know what else to say about this. You just cannot have watched Finley play in the few games that he's been up and say with a straight face that he should be playing D on this team every night when the team is healthy. No way.

Really? Gee...I guess my education failed me because in context it reads like a statement directed right at me.

And as for "the kids", in general, "the kids" are the only source of excitement and energy this team has right now, MAGs being the exception. The regulars had 35 minutes to do more than tie the game.

Your avatar is scaring the crap out of me. This must be how it feels to play against him.

Are you serious? No, really. Are. You. Serious.? Do you know why Finley plays as little as he does? Heck, do you watch Finley when he is on the ice? Going after Rinaldo after a check on Ennis does not make Joe Finley a starting defenseman in the NHL. I don't even know what else to say about this. You just cannot have watched Finley play in the few games that he's been up and say with a straight face that he should be playing D on this team every night when the team is healthy. No way.

When the team is healthy, you gotta imagine Lindy would have Grags a healthy scratch with Weber in. I mean... You know what they say about healthy...

Go away. Lead scorers in the NHL tend to thrive when given clean breaks.

Elite goaltenders tend to thrive on stopping Lead scorers in the NHL when they're on a breakaway and the games on the line :o

To close to home on that one?

It's all good, sometimes the truth hurts, let it out, let it all out :nana:

Elite goaltenders tend to thrive on stopping Lead scorers in the NHL when they're on a breakaway and the games on the line :o

I wouldn't have a problem with your opinion if you would stop saying it in the most infuriatingly smug way possible.

At some point, what can you say? The team's propensity for blowing leads has transitioned from annoying trend to systemic flaw. I'm convinced of it.

It saddens me to say it, but I've reached the tipping point with Lindy.

All the joking put aside, I stated earlier in the thread the same thought.

I happen to agree with you, there is a great deal of talent on this team. I am know convinced as well that Lindy needs to go. Sad is the correct emotion to.

Really? Gee...I guess my education failed me because in context it reads like a statement directed right at me.

And as for "the kids", in general, "the kids" are the only source of excitement and energy this team has right now, MAGs being the exception. The regulars had 35 minutes to do more than tie the game.

No, not directed right at you.

And I'd rather have the regulars out there in OT. They're calmer and know how to handle a puck and a difficult situation without screwing up. They could have taken it to a shootout, or even won it, rather than "OMG I have to pass it to Ehrhoff!!11!"

I realize that was MAG and not one of the other youngsters. I just prefer SOME experience over flash in OT. I mean, Giroux is only a fourth-year pro, but still, that's more than Kassian, MAG, McNabb, and others.

Dude, we're talking about Claude Giroux, who Versus is ready to replace Crosby with. I doubt even the most elite of goalies stand a chance on a clean break-away like that at the tail end of a hard game.

When the team is healthy, you gotta imagine Lindy would have Grags a healthy scratch with Weber in. I mean... You know what they say about healthy...

I don't have a problem playing Weber or Grags, depending on the team we are playing. There are definitely nights when Weber's game would be more helpful than playing Grags. It's not even a question on whether I'd take either over relying on Finley for a regular D spot, let alone these garbage minutes he's getting. Nothing against Finley, he's just not an NHL defeseman right now.

I wouldn't have a problem with your opinion if you would stop saying it in the most infuriatingly smug way possible.

Lighten up Francis....I am merely kidding around. I stated I thought the turnovers were some of the issue, that combined with the lack of forecheck and ability to capitalize on the scoring chances they did have, and there were a few.

But I am now firmly in the camp with many on here, at the end of the day, there is talent on this roster and I have no choice but to look at Lindy Ruff as the individual responsible for the constant blowin leads.

This is a game we needed. We at least made up for a putrid second period by tying it with 2 minutes to go. And one bad mistake by an incompetent defenseman ruins it.

Not saying we would have won otherwise, but to give the game away like that...wow.

BTW anyone that blames that OT goal on Miller needs to get their heads checked.

Knee jerk overreaction on my part. I just want to see the Sabres play with some heart for a full 60 mins at home. It's getting more and more depressing watching these home games <_<

Dude, we're talking about Claude Giroux, who Versus is ready to replace Crosby with. I doubt even the most elite of goalies stand a chance on a clean break-away like that at the tail end of a hard game.

RIght on w/ this.

I'm really not attacking you.

Not that Miller has anything to do with blowing leads, but I am sick to death of hearing this excuse.

Oh no, he was that player, or he was this player and he is set to be the next Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux.

All just pure hogwash............it doesn't matter what player it is. If the goalie is on, he's on.

Just blows my mind that people actually use that crap to psychologically make themselves feel better.

But, as I told the other poster, I was merely kidding.

Well, after the first period, I was thinking this is the best game I have been to in YEARS! I could not believe the hustle (Adam), the hits (Vanek), the toughness (Tropp) and the playmaking (Kassian). Did I really just witness all of that in ONE period?

Ah yes, welcome to the second period and reality.

And then the urgency of 5 shots in the 3rd

I swear, this team is in need of either heavy duty cross training or a new coach. The are professional athletes who seem to time and time again exert ALL of their energy into one period. Thank God they at least got the point so the first period was worth it.....

I'm raising where one of my eyebrows would be if I had eyebrows at you.

Its all good, lets move beyond the Miller talk, just for a moment here.

Lets look at the massive failure on the forecheck and the inability of the players on this team to finish when they do get their chances in the offensive zone, which aren't many.

When you spend a majority of the game playing defense or just plain chasing the puck around because the opponent has better puck control skills, the outcome in most cases should be a foregone conclusion.

This team needs some changes. Some players on this roster need to go, some of the youth needs to stay and those players that are brought in should be positional specific in an effort to stabilize the situation. Thats my opinion on this team.

I swear, this team is in need of either heavy duty cross training or a new coach. The are professional athletes who seem to time and time again exert ALL of their energy into one period. Thank God they at least got the point so the first period was worth it.....

There's energy, then there's focus. There's an ebb and flow to 60 minutes of hockey where teams alternate in who looks more energetic. BUT when it looks like the opponent has a half step on you, good fundamental hockey can still be played.

The Sabres' problems have resulted from a lack of focus. Gerbe inexplicably loses the puck with 8 seconds left and fails to clear the zone without a Flyer in sight. Sekera fails to take the body on Jagr. Grags tries the laziest cross-ice pass in hockey history.

These are mistakes that err closer to mental than physical. These guys need to get their HEADS IN THE GAME for gosh sake.

There's energy, then there's focus. There's an ebb and flow to 60 minutes of hockey where teams alternate in who looks more energetic. BUT when it looks like the opponent has a half step on you, good fundamental hockey can still be played.

The Sabres' problems have resulted from a lack of focus. Gerbe inexplicably loses the puck with 8 seconds left and fails to clear the zone without a Flyer in sight. Sekera fails to take the body on Jagr. Grags tries the laziest cross-ice pass in hockey history.

These are mistakes that err closer to mental than physical. These guys need to get their HEADS IN THE GAME for gosh sake.

So then you pick coaching because something is not getting through to these guys in a variety of situations....

Well, after the first period, I was thinking this is the best game I have been to in YEARS! I could not believe the hustle (Adam), the hits (Vanek), the toughness (Tropp) and the playmaking (Kassian). Did I really just witness all of that in ONE period?

Ah yes, welcome to the second period and reality.

And then the urgency of 5 shots in the 3rd

The Sabres are what they are at the moment......a team with 10 players with less than 100 games of NHL experience.

Tonight only 7 skaters were regular players on the team last year. I still say .500 hockey would be a good month.

There may be some highs and lows.

I'm certainly not one to make excuses for ANYONE on this team, but I believe in Gerbe's case the puck hopped up and his stick went right under it as he was trying to force an odd man rush. That's the way I recall it, anyway.

The other two are more blame-worthy, IMHO.

I'm certainly not one to make excuses for ANYONE on this team, but I believe in Gerbe's case the puck hopped up and his stick went right under it as he was trying to force an odd man rush. That's the way I recall it, anyway.

The other two are more blame-worthy, IMHO.

That, AND the fact that it's just so hard to blame the little guy that plays his ass of and is currently injured. It's like the sympathy sweepstakes right now.

Archived