Leino asked to go back to wing....

Buzz Killington

Damn, Im suprised that your mom would tell you about that. I mean it's not normal that when a mother doesn't want her child that she wouldn't tell them about that time. But wow! Your mom did, and I'm suprised that you feel so open about posting about it especially when it basically ment you were an accident.

you know, there's absolutely nothing witty, intelligent, or even snide about your retort. it's low-brow, common as hell, and incredibibly unoriginal. not to mention it's just plain crass. i don't mean in a "oh, that was incredibly vulgar" crass. i mean that it was insulting to anyone with a sense of humourous propriety. you crossed a really ridiculous line. not just with this post, but with several. and chz has more than enough reason to kick your sorry ass off this board.

i'm fairly certain i'm not the only one that hopes she does. you contribute nothing of worth. not even from a non-hockey standpoint.

you know, there's absolutely nothing witty, intelligent, or even snide about your retort. it's low-brow, common as hell, and incredibibly unoriginal. not to mention it's just plain crass. i don't mean in a "oh, that was incredibly vulgar" crass. i mean that it was insulting to anyone with a sense of humourous propriety. you crossed a really ridiculous line. not just with this post, but with several. and chz has more than enough reason to kick your sorry ass off this board.

i'm fairly certain i'm not the only one that hopes she does. you contribute nothing of worth. not even from a non-hockey standpoint.

+1

In the words of Jim Rome....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcqMrAEcpI

I might just cry.. I mean being kicked off of a board! Wow, it's just sooo hard to think of!! Its unbelievable how someone starts with me, and I get the blame by responding. And how would my ass be 'sorry'?

It is but the systems are different.

In Philly's system the center carries the entries, and forechecks.

In Buffalo's the center carries the entries and usually stays high defensively.

In Philly, Leino was usually high on the left side wing. (where he actually has a wicked shot, it is not a fast release, but is hard and accurate)

He would center the puck when it came to him high. Not really responsible for entries.

In Buffalo Leino has been high in the middle.

The natural pass for Leino is centering for a wing charging the right side with a right handed shot.

He hasn't quite had the right linemates yet, so I'm sure he's frustrated so far.

In short...he has to make entries, take faceoffs, and find linemates. Results are mixed. Grade so far....C-.

But when Ruff says this can take 20 or 30 games, I think I believe him.

My goodness, man, how do you have time to work?!? :clapping: Love the insight... as much as the idea of Leino complaining about playing C and asking to switch back to the wing makes me cringe, I wouldn't be surprised if that has been taken a little out of context. He probably is frustrated trying to learn so many changes to his game (and get used to new teammates) at once. I'm willing to give him some more time to figure it out before I call the signing a bust.

I might just cry.. I mean being kicked off of a board! Wow, it's just sooo hard to think of!! Its unbelievable how someone starts with me, and I get the blame by responding. And how would my ass be 'sorry'?

It's a message board, relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

People enjoy having good hockey talk here, and i love being able to throw ideas and questions out there, knowing i will actually get a legitimate response.

So yes, it's not that big of a deal if you get kicked. By the same logic, it's kind of sad that you could actually get yourself kicked based on the way you communicate.

If i were you, I'd check out 4chan. You'd probably fit in better there.

So on the topic of leino's position shift... if hecht isn't ready is ellis still up with the big club and ready to go? he may not have great offensive upside, but he's certainly responsible in his own end. He plays a safe game.

Going back on topic, yes, Matt Ellis is still up. I'm sure we'll see him tomorrow night with Boyes and McCormick.

Has anyone considered that maybe DR figured he would end up at wing eventually anyway? Leino wanted to play center - giving him the opportunity to play center was the selling point, and may have given the Sabres a leg up in negotiations with the holes we have at the position. If it worked out, great for everyone, but if it doesn't, we have still have a very productive winger. I have a sneaking suspicion that the expectation all along was that he would end up back at wing.

Winning the Stanley Cup is a multi year project. No one should expect that they would solve every problem in one off season.

I thought the topic was Leino. Who is this "very productive winger" you mentioned?

That Ruutu idea that got tossed around is looking better and better. I like Ellis and expect him to play but when Ennis comes back we will still be a team with a lot of potential talent but not enough hard working grit. IDK I am just concerned that this team is missing something... idk what, but I think it is a power forward. Time will tell. I just hope Ellis has been working out and is a beast on that fourth line.

Brilliant. :clapping:

That Ruutu idea that got tossed around is looking better and better. I like Ellis and expect him to play but when Ennis comes back we will still be a team with a lot of potential talent but not enough hard working grit. IDK I am just concerned that this team is missing something... idk what, but I think it is a power forward. Time will tell. I just hope Ellis has been working out and is a beast on that fourth line.

As a player that I hate, for some reason that factor alone also intrigues me.

He's been in camp and in every practice. He hasn't been sitting home drinking beers, eating donuts and watching the Sabres through Gamecenter. C'mon now man. And Ellis is what he is. Plays hard, good by the boards, holds onto the puck well, but "beast".... he is not.

I thought the topic was Leino. Who is this "very productive winger" you mentioned?

Considering his playoff success, his reputation for hard work and his history as a plus player, I would think he was more your kind of player.

Anyway, in my mind, Leino playing with Roy and Stafford makes the Sabres a better team. Of course, I have never been a big fan of Ennis, Gerbe and Roy being on the same team. And as much as Hecht is one of my least favorite players, I have no problem with him as their third center. All this of course is dependant on Adam continuing to develop as a #1 center and I am not sold on that either. Unlike Ghost's suggestion that Miller has to be in play in order to acquire said #1, I think Ennis and Sekera along with a prospect and maybe a pick is more then enough.

As a player that I hate, for some reason that factor alone also intrigues me.

His 309 hits and 57 points intrigue me.

He's been in camp and in every practice. He hasn't been sitting home drinking beers, eating donuts and watching the Sabres through Gamecenter. C'mon now man. And Ellis is what he is. Plays hard, good by the boards, holds onto the puck well, but "beast".... he is not.

Are you implying that i have been home, drinking beers, eating donuts and watching the Sabres through game center? Because I havent.... i dont have game center... :rolleyes:

I think we need a beast, kinda like regehr but in a forward role.

Considering his playoff success, his reputation for hard work and his history as a plus player, I would think he was more your kind of player.

Anyway, in my mind, Leino playing with Roy and Stafford makes the Sabres a better team. Of course, I have never been a big fan of Ennis, Gerbe and Roy being on the same team. And as much as Hecht is one of my least favorite players, I have no problem with him as their third center. All this of course is dependant on Adam continuing to develop as a #1 center and I am not sold on that either. Unlike Ghost's suggestion that Miller has to be in play in order to acquire said #1, I think Ennis and Sekera along with a prospect and maybe a pick is more then enough.

I would trade Sekera and Ennis (maybe i still think he will be very good) for Couturier and I would thrown in our extra 2nd pick as well. Of course this will not happen but I will dream of the day the sabres have a very skilled big center to clear space and help a guy like Ennis succeed.

This is true, as long as Adam plays well. If he does drop off, which is very possible, as is with any young, inexperienced player, then what do the Sabres do? Reunite Vanek with Roy? Then who centers the second line? Hecht? That's where it becomes a problem. But, nothing a trade can't solve.

This is true, as long as Adam plays well. If he does drop off, which is very possible, as is with any young, inexperienced player, then what do the Sabres do? Reunite Vanek with Roy? Then who centers the second line? Hecht? That's where it becomes a problem. But, nothing a trade can't solve.

My assumption all along was that they would give this line up till Thanksgiving, maybe Christmas before deciding. Starting 5 and 2 with 5 consecutive home games coming up should allay some worry.

He had one one great year in the playoffs and one decent year for the Flyers last season which his +14 made him a plus player.

What you are stuck with is an average winger who is on the less physical side making $6 million this season. I thought at the time of the signing Leino was an expensive reach. I've seen nothing this season to change that opinion.

Are you implying that i have been home, drinking beers, eating donuts and watching the Sabres through game center? Because I havent.... i dont have game center... :rolleyes:

lol well played.

I think we need a beast, kinda like regehr but in a forward role.

This definitely doesn't describe Ellis. You must be thinking Zack Kassian.

I think leino should kill himself or at least go back to trashy Philly, it seems every other team knows exactly when to dump off these players, (leino) (erhoff). And we are dumb enough to take em.

EHRHOFF!!

I see nothing wrong with either player at this point. It's still October.

He had one one great year in the playoffs and one decent year for the Flyers last season which his +14 made him a plus player.

What you are stuck with is an average winger who is on the less physical side making $6 million this season. I thought at the time of the signing Leino was an expensive reach. I've seen nothing this season to change that opinion.

Just keep an open mind.

He's not a goalscorer. He's much more like a left handed Ales Hemsky with his freakish puck control. They can both hang onto it forever.

Now I'm not sure if that is worth a 4.5 million cap hit - you always overpay the Free Agents. But when you find a weak pair of D men, or a tired team, it is an asset to have a guy like him on the team to grind guys down.

He won't score many goals, and he will rarely shoot. But he will move the puck where he wants it with two guys on him. The fun is really watching him get there.

I think he'll pay dividends. He just needs the right guys with him. Guys that can find shooting lanes without the puck, or ones that can charge the net.

TBH I would have been really surprised if Leino was effective early on with all the changes going on (new team, position, linemates, system etc.) Maybe taking on these challenges one at a time will give him a chance to succeed.

But if he moves to wing permanently, it seems we are back to the same problem as last year with all wings and no centers...

I meant Enroth...sorry. Miller is the man for 3 years, so there is nothing wrong with getting a very solid backup in return if someone thinks Enroth is a top 20 goalie, and we can package him. I'd like Weber in the lineup as Pominville has already taken 2 potential season ending hits in a span of 2 weeks. When crunch time comes, I can just see Leopold and Ehrhoff and Sekera/Grags get the bejebus punished out of them.

My bad for not being clear.

I'm actually going to Ray Emery your Marty Biron right now and have mercy.

You are smart enough to bring something to the table. You had every right to shoot at me, but if you just want to jumble things up....it's really not the board to do it. Trust Me. If you want to talk hockey and put your own brand of spin on things...that's cool....but just don't do it in obvious over the top smarm.

You gotta earn it...Primetime

Archived