Leino asked to go back to wing....

Buzz Killington

I wonder if Pegs just had his first WTF moment as the Sabres owner when he heard this news. Darcy has got some explaining to do about his solution for the Sabres woes at the center position. :oops:

At risk of being overly-simplistic, there's more to it than DR: "Leino is the solution at center. The probability is 100%." TP: "Ok, I'll cut the check."

It was a risk they took (or are taking, the only evidence we have of it failing is 3 weeks and the player conceding), but not necessarily in their favor with a player that completed his best work at wing. If he ends up as the same type of player as a winger here, Darcy still made a good pickup.

More so about him producing than the position at which he produces.

We arent even a month into the season...like I've said...lets work out the kinks and bumps, and see what gels.

Id rather Leino whine now than in March when we need to stay in the playoffs or whatever the case maybe when we NEED him to step up.

We have a solid core team that can win games down the road that if we fall a few back now, we arent screwed playing golf in April and May.

Let Leino have a shot at Wing...see who he works well with!

I think leino should kill himself or at least go back to trashy Philly, it seems every other team knows exactly when to dump off these players, (leino) (erhoff). And we are dumb enough to take em.

You should post more often. Your insight on players fascinates me.

Didn't McCormick play some center and could be used on the 4th line. Leino still has to get used to the guys he is playing with. Ennis and Leino on the same line wasn't going to work because of they both hang on the puck too much and Ennis isn't big enough to go to the net, he needs a guy who is big and physical to help with the grinding.

Stafford just isn't consistent enough on the line with Boyes and Roy and that line. Me thinks a grinder face-off winner like Gaustad better suits Leino. The question for me is who do you stick on wing with Stafford and Roy... Kaleta? Gerbe or Boyes- Leino and Gaustad sounds good... Fourth line of Gerbe McCormick and a recovered Hecht or who up from the minors.... Ellis?

Who wants to run him out of town? He's already the local whipping boy, but I guess someone always has to fall into that role.

I won't whip anyone until I see 20-30 games out of them. That is why it is a concern that they are already juggling a 6 year plan, a few games into the season. The lack of center depth makes it even more concerning. If I am allowed to speculate on the inner-workings of msgr. Ruff's cranium for a moment, I hope he is just trying to get him going and productive somewhere, then try to get him back at center with some confidence.

I like him at wing. That's where he should be.

David Backes plays center now for St. Louis. He had 62 pts in 82 games last year (as a wing) and only has 3pts in 8 games this year... it is not an easy transition to make an if playing the wing helps to settle Leino down and gets him meshing with his teamates than great. As of right now we dont need a 2nd line center we need a 3rd line center (Hecht/Goose). Let Leino play some wing and get more comfortable with Ruff's system. He has played some decent hockey so far. Not to mention Leino's true reason for the contract and the hype is his playoff abilities. Think big picture. I am not ready to give up on Leino as a center at some point, let alone as a player. But clearly ppl put on their time space monday morning quantum quarterback goggles and want to go back to the TC days... :death:

Also, the sabres need to draft a center in the first round, from North America who is over the height of 5' 11" for the love of god.

I wonder if Pegs just had his first WTF moment as the Sabres owner when he heard this news. Darcy has got some explaining to do about his solution for the Sabres woes at the center position. :oops:

Has anyone considered that maybe DR figured he would end up at wing eventually anyway? Leino wanted to play center - giving him the opportunity to play center was the selling point, and may have given the Sabres a leg up in negotiations with the holes we have at the position. If it worked out, great for everyone, but if it doesn't, we have still have a very productive winger. I have a sneaking suspicion that the expectation all along was that he would end up back at wing.

Winning the Stanley Cup is a multi year project. No one should expect that they would solve every problem in one off season.

Korab is like the message board equivalent of the cool and witty uncle that i look up to.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, your parents aren't as fond of him and his new girlfriend. And he always wants to take you out on his boat, but we all know that'll never happen.

Maybe the center in Buffalo's system has more defensive responsibility than in Philly's or maybe Leino is just trying to get use to playing with different players.......

It is but the systems are different.

In Philly's system the center carries the entries, and forechecks.

In Buffalo's the center carries the entries and usually stays high defensively.

In Philly, Leino was usually high on the left side wing. (where he actually has a wicked shot, it is not a fast release, but is hard and accurate)

He would center the puck when it came to him high. Not really responsible for entries.

In Buffalo Leino has been high in the middle.

The natural pass for Leino is centering for a wing charging the right side with a right handed shot.

He hasn't quite had the right linemates yet, so I'm sure he's frustrated so far.

In short...he has to make entries, take faceoffs, and find linemates. Results are mixed. Grade so far....C-.

But when Ruff says this can take 20 or 30 games, I think I believe him.

Those exact words were uttered by a certain OBGYN to a "random" mother as she asked "the" question, one week into the 2nd trimester.....

Damn, Im suprised that your mom would tell you about that. I mean it's not normal that when a mother doesn't want her child that she wouldn't tell them about that time. But wow! Your mom did, and I'm suprised that you feel so open about posting about it especially when it basically ment you were an accident.

Archived