Fight Night Buffalo at Florida 10/20/11

Weave

Gaustad at Bradley  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Win, lose, draw

• Gaustad win
    • Bradley win (are you freaking kidding me?)
    • Draw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moonQ6PdWcM

IMO we've got a solid Gaustad win here. He connecteed early and often. Got alot of uppercuts working too. And he showed better than usual balance. Extra props for the leakage, although Bradley has a bit of a rep as a bleeder. I don't think Bradley connected more than once. Hard to believe Bradley was the one that wanted it to go down.

what the hey? The vid won't embed? Help?

Good point. Gaustad wears a visor these days. If he's gonna be that engaged with the fisticuffs the visor is kind of dirty pool.

I didn't see Goose do anything to Bradley before that. Prolly just Bradley trying to spark the troops. I's think (hope) that next time if he has time to take it off he does. Bradley just jumps him and Goose is like WTF?

I voted for Bradley. He got Goose to fight for no particular reason. So he won. He just sacrificed his face along the way. In exchange, he took the Sabres best faceoff man off the ice for 5 minutes.

I'm sure I'm a lone voice on this one, but I don't understand why Gaustad fought him. There was no upside for the Sabres at all.

Not that I am on any kind of crusade here, just curious: whatever happened to the instigator penalty?

Unprovoked for any on-ice reason, Bradley skated up to Goose and started a fight.

Seems like the definition of instigating a fight.

I had to watch it a couple times to figure out where they were lined up. Bradley just shot from wing to center and it looked like his gloves went flying almost before Gaustad knew he was there. I feel like most of the time I see fights off the face off, it's guys lined up with each other. That said, Goose put in a good effort and did a good job staying on his feet.

I voted for Bradley. He got Goose to fight for no particular reason. So he won. He just sacrificed his face along the way. In exchange, he took the Sabres best faceoff man off the ice for 5 minutes.

I'm sure I'm a lone voice on this one, but I don't understand why Gaustad fought him. There was no upside for the Sabres at all.

Except that he beat his ass.. haha. Something happened right before the fight, the Florida net got dislodged and one of their players came up bleeding. Not sure what happened, high stick, elbow, or maybe he was pushed into the net causing it to dislodge. Regardless, he came up bleeding and doing his version of the "WTF Wave" waiting for a penalty... this may or may not have led to the fight. Either way Bradley came on to fight right afterwards.. Goose didn't back down, he did what you're supposed to do.

Not sure what happened, high stick, elbow, or maybe he was pushed into the net causing it to dislodge. Regardless, he came up bleeding and doing his version of the "WTF Wave" waiting for a penalty... this may or may not have led to the fight.

I remember that.

I had to watch it a couple times to figure out where they were lined up. Bradley just shot from wing to center and it looked like his gloves went flying almost before Gaustad knew he was there. I feel like most of the time I see fights off the face off, it's guys lined up with each other. That said, Goose put in a good effort and did a good job staying on his feet.

Well Bradly was lined up against Gerbe ... not going to spark your team going after the 5-foot-5 guy. So he did the right thing going after the next nearest guy.

I also disagree with WJAG about Bradley winning just cuz he got Goose to fight. First of all, it didn't spark his team all all, maybe cuz Goose got the better of him. Second, to say there is NO upside for the Sabres is not true ... there is value answering the bell and not backing down when you play on a team with a rep for being soft. You can't ever change that rep by turning the other cheek every time. It's Goose's job not to back down, and the rest of the guys need to respond by NOT letting it spark Florida. That's what they did.

Well Bradly was lined up against Gerbe ... not going to spark your team going after the 5-foot-5 guy. So he did the right thing going after the next nearest guy.

I also disagree with WJAG about Bradley winning just cuz he got Goose to fight. First of all, it didn't spark his team all all, maybe cuz Goose got the better of him. Second, to say there is NO upside for the Sabres is not true ... there is value answering the bell and not backing down when you play on a team with a rep for being soft. You can't ever change that rep by turning the other cheek every time. It's Goose's job not to back down, and the rest of the guys need to respond by NOT letting it spark Florida. That's what they did.

I have no problem with your interpretation and suspect it represents the majority opinion on here. I stand by mine.

Speaking of Gerbe ... this may not be the right thread but I've also noticed that people tend to get scolded on this forum when they make new threads (weird?!).

Anyways, did you guys catch somewhere in the second or maybe third period one of the Florida wingers came up to Gerbe right as he was passing the puck (from behind) and basically one-handedly pushed him on the back of the head leading the a Gerbe face plant? I was doing the "WTF hand from my couch even". Thankfully, five seconds later Gerbe came up with the puck, carried it into the Florida zone down the left wing and took an angry slapshot which dislodged Theodore's mask. Dunno if anybody else made the connection there but I thought it was a pretty cool "Don't F*** with me" move heh. Not that Theodore was to blame for the initial "push" but still ... that kid has some mean energy welling up in there ... love when he lets it lose on the opposing team.

Except that he beat his ass.. haha. Something happened right before the fight, the Florida net got dislodged and one of their players came up bleeding. Not sure what happened, high stick, elbow, or maybe he was pushed into the net causing it to dislodge. Regardless, he came up bleeding and doing his version of the "WTF Wave" waiting for a penalty... this may or may not have led to the fight. Either way Bradley came on to fight right afterwards.. Goose didn't back down, he did what you're supposed to do.

Good post. Vanek ran the guy into the goal post. Surprised he wasn't penalized for it. The panthers must be on the same cycle already. They were bleeding all over the ice.

I remember that.

That was Vanek pushing a panther (not Bradley). In some roundabout way related, prolly.

Speaking of Gerbe ... this may not be the right thread but I've also noticed that people tend to get scolded on this forum when they make new threads (weird?!).

Anyways, did you guys catch somewhere in the second or maybe third period one of the Florida wingers came up to Gerbe right as he was passing the puck (from behind) and basically one-handedly pushed him on the back of the head leading the a Gerbe face plant? I was doing the "WTF hand from my couch even". Thankfully, five seconds later Gerbe came up with the puck, carried it into the Florida zone down the left wing and took an angry slapshot which dislodged Theodore's mask. Dunno if anybody else made the connection there but I thought it was a pretty cool "Don't F*** with me" move heh. Not that Theodore was to blame for the initial "push" but still ... that kid has some mean energy welling up in there ... love when he lets it lose on the opposing team.

I made that connection too. I think Gerbe knows that the scoreboard is where it hurts most. It's the same exact thing that happened when Carcillo "patted the Gerbe." Gerbe scored the tying goal in highlight reel fashion.

Archived