GDT: Sabres at Panthers 10-20-11 7:30PM

spndnchz

No witch hunt. The Sabres give up 40+ shots on goal to an inferior team, Gragnani has been less than stellar in his own end, and is the guy who would be the first to take a seat in the press box from the blueline. Maybe too many people are buying into this "he is the best passer on the team" spin.

Are you also okay 5 games into the season, sending the prized F/A acquisition down to the 4th line(to play with a grinder and the forward most likely to go the Press Box when Hecht is healthy) even though they are off to a 4-1 start?

Well, regardless of how many people here buy the "best passer on the team" spin that I'm peddling, Lindy's view is the only one that matters, and he's still not returning my calls.

I take your point on changing up Leino but not MAG, but the comparable move with MAG would be changing the pairings, not benching him. Even with the new lines, Leino is still playing with a goal-scorer.

Also, this is kind of neither here nor there, but I'll say it anyway: just because this board thinks/wants Boyes is most likely to get benched for Hecht, doesn't mean it's actually the case.

In any case I agree that MAG is the defenseman who will get benched when it's time to change up the D. I just think his shortcomings have been exaggerated here.

Experiment, schmeriment. Weber should be a fixture in the lineup. Grags should be battling Sekera for the third puck mover D-man. I like continuity and things that make sense ideologically, one of Weber, Regehr and Myers should be on the ice at all times minus the PP.

When I see pairings of Gragnani-Sekera or leopold-Ehrhoff, I feel uneasy.

Leopold-Ehrhoff played very well against the Habs. I think they will be a very solid pair all year. I'm frankly more concerned about Myers than about either of those 2.

Well, regardless of how many people here buy the "best passer on the team" spin that I'm peddling, Lindy's view is the only one that matters, and he's still not returning my calls.

I take your point on changing up Leino but not MAG, but the comparable move with MAG would be changing the pairings, not benching him. Even with the new lines, Leino is still playing with a goal-scorer.

Also, this is kind of neither here nor there, but I'll say it anyway: just because this board thinks/wants Boyes is most likely to get benched for Hecht, doesn't mean it's actually the case.

In any case I agree that MAG is the defenseman who will get benched when it's time to change up the D. I just think his shortcomings have been exaggerated here.

Leopold-Ehrhoff played very well against the Habs. I think they will be a very solid pair all year. I'm frankly more concerned about Myers than about either of those 2.

I've heard the "best passer on the team" in regards to Gragnani from multiple places including Sabres broadcasts. It's not just you. I'll watch closer tonight. :nana:

IMO they should be rotating every game or every few games anyway. I think they should bench MAG tonight, but that doesn't mean he's going to miss 10 games. It's only a matter of time before someone else strings together three or four bad games, or simply needs a rest. Having seven defensemen is a nice benefit to have.. so take advantage of it.

Is there anyone more overrated than the 7th defenseman on any NHL team? The backup goalie is the only other option for that sentence.

I don't know what happened in the off-season or training camp, but based on the play of Weber last year, did you not think that his play in 10-11 warranted a regular spot in the bottom pair, prior to this season starting?

I don't know what happened in the off-season or traininc gamp, but based on the play of Weber last year, did you not think that his play in 10-11 warranted a regular spot in the bottom pair prior to this season starting?

But that's the most important time period right there.

I don't know what happened in the off-season or traininc gamp, but based on the play of Weber last year, did you not think that his play in 10-11 warranted a regular spot in the bottom pair, prior to this season starting?

That's what I don't get. I thought Weber exceeded expectations all season long and set a new standard for himself. He must have played awful in training camp/pre-season to lose his spot. He definitely deserves to be in there.

There should be a drinking game where you indulge every time the puck is in the Sabres zone and you hear RJ say "not out" or "kept in". :lol:

Isn't that partly on RJ for intimating that the puck has cleared the zone, rather than telling us exactly what happened?

i.e. "Myers clears the puck...not out"

Couldn't he say he moves the puck ahead, or along the boards, or up the ice rather than use the term "clear" which usually indicates the blue line being crossed. Idk, it probably has some sort of Canadian origin, from which all things come from that I don't understand.

I don't know what happened in the off-season or traininc gamp, but based on the play of Weber last year, did you not think that his play in 10-11 warranted a regular spot in the bottom pair, prior to this season starting?

But the offseason also gave out mucho contracts to Sekera (preventing him from being benched IMO) and the playoffs where MAG was studly. Unfortunately, the coach looks at what have you done for me lately, and given those two events, that's why MAG and Sekera got the nod to start the season.

It could change but as many posters have mentioned, don't rock the boat on a 4-1 record.

That's what I don't get. I thought Weber exceeded expectations all season long and set a new standard for himself. He must have played awful in training camp/pre-season to lose his spot. He definitely deserves to be in there.

we saw several preseason games... did anyone think Weber was "awful"? and by awful I mean worse than MAG/Shakira?

Isn't that partly on RJ for intimating that the puck has cleared the zone, rather than telling us exactly what happened?

i.e. "Myers clears the puck...not out"

Couldn't he say he moves the puck ahead, or along the boards, or up the ice rather than use the term "clear" which usually indicates the blue line being crossed. Idk, it probably has some sort of Canadian origin, from which all things come from that I don't understand.

I'm on a roll today, so I will just keep going...

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if RJ & Harry retired? :ph34r:

But the offseason also gave out mucho contracts to Sekera (preventing him from being benched IMO) and the playoffs where MAG was studly. Unfortunately, the coach looks at what have you done for me lately, and given those two events, that's why MAG and Sekera got the nod to start the season.

It could change but as many posters have mentioned, don't rock the boat on a 4-1 record.

Let's not get carried away...studly?? :lol: :lol: He was good. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing that cemented a spot in the starting lineup 6 months later.

Let's not get carried away...studly?? :lol: :lol: He was good. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing that cemented a spot in the starting lineup 6 months later.

haha poor choice of phrasing. :oops: He had the most points for a d-man. That's what I was getting at.

IMO Lindy is trying to recapture that hot streak in the playoffs by showing faith in MAG to play to the level we saw in the philly series.

Archived