The division is officially there for the taking

BetweenThePipes00

Congrats to the Bruins for winning the Cup, but apparently Boston's deal with the devil that was made on September 23, 2001 when Drew Bledsoe went down was for EXACTLY 10 years. The Pats losing to the Bills is one thing, but the way the Sox just blew the Wild Card is beyond belief. Just the last INNING was epic, forget the whole month. Amazing decade (Three Super Bowl wins, two World Series wins, an NBA title and a Cup), but since the 10-year anniversary the wheels are coming off. I see no other explanation.

;)

Are you forgetting who the minority owner that Pegula bought the Sabres from was?

Methinks, he may have already made that deal. ;)

so ... in that 10 year span, boston acquired 7 titles over 4 sports. might we hope to acquire 14 (machiavelli's 3rd law of inverse proportions, you know ...)? say, 8 superbowls and 6 cups? is that too much to ask?

Are you forgetting who the minority owner that Pegula bought the Sabres from was?

Methinks, he may have already made that deal. ;)

You're right as always.

I keep forgetting Larry the Moron doesn't need a cell phone, cause all you have to do in order to reach him is draw up a pentagram and chant "I summon thee..." three times :thumbsup:

so ... in that 10 year span, boston acquired 7 titles over 4 sports. might we hope to acquire 14 (machiavelli's 3rd law of inverse proportions, you know ...)? say, 8 superbowls and 6 cups? is that too much to ask?

And 4 hockey national championships... well, ok, maybe just 3. The first one was in April of 2001.

Congrats to the Bruins for winning the Cup, but apparently Boston's deal with the devil that was made on September 23, 2001 when Drew Bledsoe went down was for EXACTLY 10 years. The Pats losing to the Bills is one thing, but the way the Sox just blew the Wild Card is beyond belief. Just the last INNING was epic, forget the whole month. Amazing decade (Three Super Bowl wins, two World Series wins, an NBA title and a Cup), but since the 10-year anniversary the wheels are coming off. I see no other explanation.

;)

I get the euphoria and the humor but of course this is wishful thinking. :beer: From what happened in MLB last night, it looks like the megabuck spending teams get it up the azz, and rightly so.

;)

By golly, he's right! The Sabres' destiny is in their own hands; win out from here and statistically we have clinched the division. :clapping:

I get the euphoria and the humor but of course this is wishful thinking. :beer: From what happened in MLB last night, it looks like the megabuck spending teams get it up the azz, and rightly so.

I don't know about all that ... the Yankees and Phillies are 1-2 in payroll and alive in the playoffs. The Tigers and Cards both spent $100 million+ this season ... even the Rangers spent almost as much as the Rays and D-Backs COMBINED ...Milwaukee spent more than twice as much as the Rays and $30 million more than Arizona ... overall, the teams that spent money gave themselves a better chance to win.

Well if we actually look at the Northeast Division:

Boston: Just won the cup and has a 2time Vezina Winning Goaltender and one of the most solid (albeit not overly talented) teams in the NHL. Their defense however is something that could hurt them as time progresses. Chara is their main man but I think that some of these kids with their speed may finally take their toll on the big man and I also think that Boston lacks a really good puck moving offensive defensman

Ottawa: They couldnt win the division if they made a deal with a devil or with bettman himself. They have iffy goaltending. Their defense is a patchwork of young guys and over the hill vets (CoughGoncharCough) and there forwards consist of Spezza and half dead alfredson so we can exclude them

Toronto: They have major questions at goal and that could go either way. Their defense looks decent on paper with Liles and Phaneuf as solid vets (for the most part) If Schenn can finally step up they could have something. As for their offense... Tim Connolly is not the answer to their number 1 center issue at all. Kessel and Him may do ok but they will not be enough to win the division at all. The Grobovaski line adds a 2nd scoring threat and will probably become the #1 line as the season continues but again can MacCarthur - Grobovaski - Lupul really hold up against Boston or Buffalo in a 6 game series (regular season games)... I just don't see it happening as I have already scene the sabres shut them down without 3 of their starting defenders.

Montreal: This is a train wreck waiting to occur. I have higher hopes for Toronto this season then Montreal (if Tor had Price this would not be an issue) because if you look at Montreals defense its scary bad. Markov even if he stays healthy cant over come the lack of talent they have on the blue line. Spacek is starting to look old. Subban has a lot of upside but I think he is better offensively than he will be defensively. On to their forwards, if I was a Montreal fan I would be deeply concerned. You added Cole and ... well thats it. You added cole. Gomez is bad. Gionta is ok and Plekanec is the only probable player to make it near 70pts. Cammalleri is over the hill and he isnt going to drop a 70+pt season again especially on a team that just is not fast enough, strong enough, or skilled enough at forward

Buffalo: Ryan Miller is still a top tier GT and he has the potential to win a vezina this year. On defense the additions of Regehr and Ehrhoff added both grit and serious scoring talent to the blueline. Both of these players will strengthen a d corp that was primarily relying on montador and morrison to be their vets last season and that failed. Myers is only going to get better. the questions are can Sekera become a top flight defender or is his new contract and overpayment for a guy who will always have problems. Weber is a hardnosed guy who needs to improve on his positioning in order to be more effective and secure a permanent spot. MAG is a guy who has more than just a couple of questions surrounding his game and by all accounts will not be a top 6 guy to start the year. On forward, TC is gone and Leino has replaced him on a line that has more puck possession skills than politicians have bs. Stafford is more of question than Leino in my mind and I think he has the potential to hit 30goals and 65pts if he can stay healthy but we shall see. As for Roy, Van, Pommers, they will continue to do what they do best which we are all aware of

Basically: I pick the Sabres to win the division based off their depth at Def and Offensive talent coupled with their new owners goal to win.

I don't know about all that ... the Yankees and Phillies are 1-2 in payroll and alive in the playoffs. The Tigers and Cards both spent $100 million+ this season ... even the Rangers spent almost as much as the Rays and D-Backs COMBINED ...Milwaukee spent more than twice as much as the Rays and $30 million more than Arizona ... overall, the teams that spent money gave themselves a better chance to win.

Let's say shelling out $142 million for one player is fraught with peril. You better know what you're getting.

;)

As a Red Sox fan the collapse of the Red Sox is very believable. They ended the season just as they started it. They won most of their games by scoring 10 runs a game. Their pitching staff never lived up to expectations with the injury to Bucholtz and Lackey crapping the bed all season. They were forced to pitch Wakefield far more than they wanted to. Crawford is one of the laziest players that the game has ever seen. Breaking it down it should not be a shock to anyone.

That aside, if you want to talk about the Division look at the schedule. The Bills are up 1 game. They play the Bengals. The Jets play the Ravens and the Pats play a tough Raiders team that beat and beat up the Jets. If the Bills take care of business they should be up 2 games at the quarter pole.

That aside, if you want to talk about the Division look at the schedule. The Bills are up 1 game. They play the Bengals. The Jets play the Ravens and the Pats play a tough Raiders team that beat and beat up the Jets. If the Bills take care of business they should be up 2 games at the quarter pole.

Don't good teams usually beat good teams, and lose to crap teams?

Let's go Bills!

I think we have an excellent chance of winning the division. Offense will be the big question though.

I think our offense will actually be quite improved. Although he's a Dman, I could see Ehroff helping us big time in the scoring game. Guy has a cannon of a shot and watching highlights of last season and the preseason this year, he loves to take that shot. It will be nice watching the power play and not hearing all the anxious fans yelling "Shoooooooooooooot"!!

I think our offense will actually be quite improved. Although he's a Dman, I could see Ehroff helping us big time in the scoring game. Guy has a cannon of a shot and watching highlights of last season and the preseason this year, he loves to take that shot. It will be nice watching the power play and not hearing all the anxious fans yelling "Shoooooooooooooot"!!

Agreed, completely. But as you say he is a dman and Leino is still a) our only offensive addition and b) a big, big question.

Archived