Boyes Suspended 2 Preseason Games

spndnchz

You have a man-crush, don't you.

I'm kidding of course. You've managed to build Weber up as Superman in your mind judging by your posts here.

Watch what happens when you touch Miller... Weber destroys you

but yea i like webers heart and grit... hes an underdog so i pull for him and hope he gets better

If this holds into the regular season I could see quite a few players suddenly defanged. Anyone fear Chris Neil anymore if he isn't willing to headhunt?

I doubt anyone outside the Sabres roster fears Chris Neil.

Just like Spezza lights us up like crazy, Neil has his best games against the Sabres every season.

Boyes will now be a repeat offender? What a joke. The first time he hits someone in blue and gold and he gets two games for it. Won't have to worry about that happening again. And still no word on why the hit from behind on Gaustad isn't being looked at...

Let me guess - Chara and Ovechkin are still virgins in the league's eyes.

Shall we give Shanahan a chance before saying his just as bad as everyone else, his not been too bad to far. There will always be mistakes (too tough, to soft, missed altogether) but he seems to be ok so far.

Boyes will now be a repeat offender? What a joke. The first time he hits someone in blue and gold and he gets two games for it. Won't have to worry about that happening again. And still no word on why the hit from behind on Gaustad isn't being looked at...

Let me guess - Chara and Ovechkin are still virgins in the league's eyes.

Two preseason games for vets is not punioshmwent at all.

In the context of what Shanny is doing this is just a sign os the way the leagie will handle things.

If it wasn't a CBC game I wonder if Boyes gets a phone call.

Two preseason games for vets is not punioshmwent at all.

In the context of what Shanny is doing this is just a sign os the way the leagie will handle things.

If it wasn't a CBC game I wonder if Boyes gets a phone call.

Since it was a CBC game why isn't the hit on Gaustad being looked at? Transparency is great and all, but lets look at that hit and tell us why it isn't deserving of supplemental discipline if that is the case.

I'll give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt, but he's not up on some pedestal just because his name isn't Campbell. His little you tube videos are cute and all, but ignoring what appeared to be a far more dangerous hit from behind along the boards is quickly detracting from it.

Shall we give Shanahan a chance before saying his just as bad as everyone else, his not been too bad to far. There will always be mistakes (too tough, to soft, missed altogether) but he seems to be ok so far.

He's immune from criticism while giving him a chance? Or he's immune from criticism because you are in love with the idea of Shanahan as disciplinarian. A little news for you - Shanahan is held in much higher regard now than when he was a player. He was a bit of a hack when he played, I wouldn't call him dirty, but he wasn't someone you wanted to turn your back on in the corner.

Did I say he's as bad as everyone else? Give it a rest. He gave supplemental discipline to one of the softest players in the game on a face to face hit. I would like to see more angles of the Boyes hit, because I'm not seeing initial contact to the head. I think it's a bad call, especially in comparison to the Gaustad hit no one wants to talk about.

I don't believe that to be a suspendable hit. Didn't see the hit on goose. I have no issue with shanny being tough but that hit wa so marginal I just don't agree. Nobody on the ice even flinched on the play. And for Boyes to now have a record??

Gonna be an interesting year. Can't wait to see which superstar gets whacked by shanny first. Malkin? Ovie?

Since it was a CBC game why isn't the hit on Gaustad being looked at? Transparency is great and all, but lets look at that hit and tell us why it isn't deserving of supplemental discipline if that is the case.

I'll give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt, but he's not up on some pedestal just because his name isn't Campbell. His little you tube videos are cute and all, but ignoring what appeared to be a far more dangerous hit from behind along the boards is quickly detracting from it.

He's immune from criticism while giving him a chance? Or he's immune from criticism because you are in love with the idea of Shanahan as disciplinarian. A little news for you - Shanahan is held in much higher regard now than when he was a player. He was a bit of a hack when he played, I wouldn't call him dirty, but he wasn't someone you wanted to turn your back on in the corner.

Did I say he's as bad as everyone else? Give it a rest. He gave supplemental discipline to one of the softest players in the game on a face to face hit. I would like to see more angles of the Boyes hit, because I'm not seeing initial contact to the head. I think it's a bad call, especially in comparison to the Gaustad hit no one wants to talk about.

I've gotta agree with you here on this. I really want to know why the hit on Goose isn't being looked at, but this pathetic hit by Boyes was.

I have no love for Shanahan. I'm aware of his history as well, my opinion of him is neutral. I'm not saying his immune from criticism, just that getting agitated about the 1st suspension against a Sabre strikes me more of fan whining than actual criticism, aside from the fact that it didn't actually sound as if you were giving him a chance. Whether the head was the initial point of contact or not, the focus of the hit was on the head (by accident I suspect, as Boyes said and Shanahan agreed with) so therefore he has to make a point, an example of every hit like it.

I don't believe that to be a suspendable hit. Didn't see the hit on goose. I have no issue with shanny being tough but that hit wa so marginal I just don't agree. Nobody on the ice even flinched on the play. And for Boyes to now have a record??

Gonna be an interesting year. Can't wait to see which superstar gets whacked by shanny first. Malkin? Ovie?

I have no problem with the suspension. It's the first step to a zero tolerance position. The problem will come later in the season when we see those real head scratchers that look far worse and receive no punishment.

I have no love for Shanahan. I'm aware of his history as well, my opinion of him is neutral. I'm not saying his immune from criticism, just that getting agitated about the 1st suspension against a Sabre strikes me more of fan whining than actual criticism, aside from the fact that it didn't actually sound as if you were giving him a chance. Whether the head was the initial point of contact or not, the focus of the hit was on the head (by accident I suspect, as Boyes said and Shanahan agreed with) so therefore he has to make a point, an example of every hit like it.

So because your the only one mentioning the Gausted hit means its some cover up? :blink:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589675

Lindy Ruff said he didn’t get a clear look at the Colby Armstrong hit-from-behind on Paul Gaustad in the first period, but he seemed to think the videotape of the play would likely be reviewed at NHL headquarters. Armstrong was assessed a two-minute charging minor on the play. “Paul was totally defenseless,” Ruff said. “I don’t know if (Armstrong) eased up, if he slowed down, or if he tried to use some caution because he saw he had his back turned. But that’s one they’ll probably take a look at.”

Yup, just me and Lindy. :rolleyes:

Cover up? Did I say that? Your exaggerations and mis- statements of what I have said (as bad as everyone else, cover ups, whining)aren't doing you any favors. Did you watch the game? Did you see the hit on Gaustad? I saw it live, and I saw the team's reaction - rest assured everyone on the ice and in the building thought it was a dirty hit - even the refs thought it was a dirty hit, which is why Armstrong was penalized for charging. Was Boyes penalized? I know the answer - do you?

Cover up? Did I say that? Your exaggerations and mis- statements of what I have said (as bad as everyone else, cover ups, whining)aren't doing you any favors. Did you watch the game? Did you see the hit on Gaustad? I saw it live, and I saw the team's reaction - rest assured everyone on the ice and in the building thought it was a dirty hit - even the refs thought it was a dirty hit, which is why Armstrong was penalized for charging. Was Boyes penalized? I know the answer - do you?

ummm no he wasn't penalized for the hit to the head.

It will be interesting to see in the future what teams players will be giving an oscar like preformance when the slightest hit to the head occurs.

So now that it's been a full two days, I think it's safe to say Armstrong got off lucky with this one. Bummer, too, Shanny was doing so well.

My impression from the whole thing is that the league was going to find a skill player to set the bar.

I don't believe that Boyes will lose any money from this, or that he will actually ever get suspended in the future.

Mostly, it sets the ground for skill players going forward.

My impression from the whole thing is that the league was going to find a skill player to set the bar.

I don't believe that Boyes will lose any money from this, or that he will actually ever get suspended in the future.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not really worried about the Boyes hit at all. If that's a suspension for Shanahan then it's probably a good thing. But after suspending Leblond and Shelley for hits almost identical to the one Armstrong threw on Gaustad, I just can't fathom how he didn't give Armstrong a suspension. A poster mentioned the other day that maybe he should release a video for a few NON suspension hits so that fans and players can see the difference... because if he doesn't think Armstrong's hit was suspension worthy, it would be a good one to use to tell us all why. To me, it looked just as bad (if not worse) than the leblond/shelley hits.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not really worried about the Boyes hit at all. If that's a suspension for Shanahan then it's probably a good thing. But after suspending Leblond and Shelley for hits almost identical to the one Armstrong threw on Gaustad, I just can't fathom how he didn't give Armstrong a suspension. A poster mentioned the other day that maybe he should release a video for a few NON suspension hits so that fans and players can see the difference... because if he doesn't think Armstrong's hit was suspension worthy, it would be a good one to use to tell us all why. To me, it looked just as bad (if not worse) than the leblond/shelley hits.

I'm fine with Armstrong not getting suspended, I have a different type of justice in mind for him. It also looked like he hit Leino with an elbow to the yap behind the play on Sat.

I'm fine with Armstrong not getting suspended, I have a different type of justice in mind for him. It also looked like he hit Leino with an elbow to the yap behind the play on Sat.

Would be nice if Regehr or Weber gave him a face full of retribution next time they meet! :lol:

Did anybody happen to DVR the game on saturday, though? Not a single video of the hit on Gaustad exists on youtube, so if anybody had recorded it and can put it on youtube or something that would be baller.

EDIT: However I just realize that Staubitz was suspended for an incident that happened on Friday night, so maybe, just maybe, there is still a suspension looming for Armstrong.

I'm just worried that it's an act to make them look like they care. Who really cares about being suspended for preseason games? Until meaningful games are missed, I'm going to be skeptical. And speaking of meaningful games, I wonder how he'll handle the playoffs (obviously that's a while off).

I'm just worried that it's an act to make them look like they care. Who really cares about being suspended for preseason games? Until meaningful games are missed, I'm going to be skeptical. And speaking of meaningful games, I wonder how he'll handle the playoffs (obviously that's a while off).

Good question. We'll see.

This actually creates a new entertainment element for the league.

Colin Campbell's private calls helped nobody.

Meaningful games are already getting handed out. Jody Shelly is probably losing 70 or 80 K for his suspension altogether. (I'm not sure about per diem's and other things, but I imagine that they go too.)

Even better, I like the idea that the video's are teaching players at all levels what is accepted. I hope he continues like he's doing.

Read my post again, it's been edited. I'm not getting into a meaningless argument over this and I don't disagree with your point, I disagree with your comparison of the Gausted hit vs Boyes suspension as some validation of, well, I'm not entirely sure what your point is there. I also happen to think the two incidents are completely separate, and one has no place in this thread. Sorry I enraged you so much.

Read my post again, it's been edited. I'm not getting into a meaningless argument over this and I don't disagree with your point, I disagree with your comparison of the Gausted hit vs Boyes suspension as some validation of, well, I'm not entirely sure what your point is there. I also happen to think the two incidents are completely separate, and one has no place in this thread. Sorry I enraged you so much.

My comparison of the two hits isn't a validation of anything. I see one marginal face to face hit with incidental contact to the head by one of the softest players in the league receiving supplemental discipline, and a second hit by a ruffian, from behind, a charge no less, along the boards. The second hit is a far more dangerous play the first - just ask Connolly. There is no review of the second hit, even though it was penalized in the game.

I'm asking questions, because the discrepancy between the treatment of these two hits doesn't make sense. Reading through this thread, it doesn't make sense to anyone else either. You appear to be out on a limb all by your lonesome on this one.

I don't get enraged over things people say on the internet. Again with the exaggerations.

My comparison of the two hits isn't a validation of anything. I see one marginal face to face hit with incidental contact to the head by one of the softest players in the league receiving supplemental discipline, and a second hit by a ruffian, from behind, a charge no less, along the boards. The second hit is a far more dangerous play the first - just ask Connolly. There is no review of the second hit, even though it was penalized in the game.

I'm asking questions, because the discrepancy between the treatment of these two hits doesn't make sense. Reading through this thread, it doesn't make sense to anyone else either. You appear to be out on a limb all by your lonesome on this one.

I don't get enraged over things people say on the internet. Again with the exaggerations.

^This. A lot of people on this board have the same feelings and questions as to the reasoning of why the second listed above is not being looked at.

If he runs someone over with Mike Weber on the ice he will get his @ss handed to him.

I expect we'd all like this to be true, but it probably won't happen. Neil is a very tough guy and can handle himself. He can also sense when a hit is coming and protect himself. Weber is also a tough guy, but one who is more of a body-checker and a clear-the-crease guy than a fighter.

There will be plenty of opportunities for payback on Armstrong this year. The Sabres won't forget.

I see one marginal face to face hit with incidental contact to the head by one of the softest players in the league receiving supplemental discipline, and a second hit by a ruffian, from behind, a charge no less, along the boards. The second hit is a far more dangerous play the first - just ask Connolly. There is no review of the second hit, even though it was penalized in the game.

Good post. The hit on Gaustad was a dirty play and not much different from the Shelley hit that resulted in a 10-game suspension.

Archived