The new and improved Sabres

ColdBlueNorth

Been following a lot of sports outlets on projections for this season and they all keep talking about Pegula's money and the uncertainty around our off-season additions, and the Bruins being a lock.

I don't know, but I felt we matched up against the Bruins squad pretty well last year taking 4 out of 6 games. Most articles do not even account for Roy being back, and I thought Gragnani was awesome during our playoffs with Philly and he never gets a mention. I think that Myers was climbing out of his slump towards the end of last year and having some veterans around him will only help keep him on the right track. Miller was injured and it showed as well last year, and a healthy Miller with a solid backup to spell him makes for a solid foundation we did not have with Lalime (although he was well liked).

I can't help but think that this is a much improved squad that just needed a bit more veteran talent along the blue line and some toughness up front. We certainly have the prospects to fill that last order.

I just have this feeling that the Sabres are going to bring a championship home this year and it has been a long time since I thought we had a really good shot at the title. Sorry if I just come off as a homer, but I am really stoked to watch this team come together this year. Wish I had close to that much hope for my sorry Bills. What a difference a new owner can make on the outlook of a team.

I'm feeling kind of the same way.

We're going to need some time to gel and I'm not counting early chickens here.

But I think a lot of signs are pointing to us being a real contender.

And given the splashes Pegulaville made, I thought we'd be more of a trendy pick.

That said, I'd rather be under the radar so no worries.

I'm feeling kind of the same way.

We're going to need some time to gel and I'm not counting early chickens here.

But I think a lot of signs are pointing to us being a real contender.

And given the splashes Pegulaville made, I thought we'd be more of a trendy pick.

That said, I'd rather be under the radar so no worries.

If the boys come together like I think they will, they will not be under the radar for long. :thumbsup:

If they can play the way they did the last few months of last season, it's a great starting point.

I think it's better for the team to fly under the radar of projections. Besides, a lot of "analysts" don't follow our Sabres the way we do.

The new attitude and aura that Pegula has brought to the team, city, and fanbase is something that most outside observers cannot feel the way that we do.

Bah humbug. Pegula doesn't play in the Sabres' "top 6." Unless Leino evolves into Gretzky, it's hard to see the Sabres' forwards being good enough to get the Sabres enough wins in the playoffs.

Now, IF Leino is really good, and IF Ennis and Stafford and Gerbe continue to improve, and IF the Sabres add another good forward who doesn't disappear in the playoffs, maybe, just maybe...

Bah humbug. Pegula doesn't play in the Sabres' "top 6." Unless Leino evolves into Gretzky, it's hard to see the Sabres' forwards being good enough to get the Sabres enough wins in the playoffs.

Now, IF Leino is really good, and IF Ennis and Stafford and Gerbe continue to improve, and IF the Sabres add another good forward who doesn't disappear in the playoffs, maybe, just maybe...

Hey, the Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, so ya never know!

Welcome to the dark side? :unsure:

Welcome to the dark side? :unsure:

Nooooo! Not nfreeman (even though I agree with his every word)!

I'm an optimist, and I do think that it's possible that Leino, Stafford, Vanek, Ennis and Gerbe could be enough, combined with the fortified D and a hungry and rested Miller, to take the Sabres on a pretty good run. But as far as the forwards go, it's asking for a lot of pieces to fall into place.

I do not believe that the top 6 from the last 2 years is good enough to take the Sabres anywhere in the playoffs. If next playoff season Pommer and Roy are in the top 4 forwards, and if Stafford and Ennis don't take big steps up, the Sabres will be out early again.

I'm an optimist, and I do think that it's possible that Leino, Stafford, Vanek, Ennis and Gerbe could be enough, combined with the fortified D and a hungry and rested Miller, to take the Sabres on a pretty good run. But as far as the forwards go, it's asking for a lot of pieces to fall into place.

I do not believe that the top 6 from the last 2 years is good enough to take the Sabres anywhere in the playoffs. If next playoff season Pommer and Roy are in the top 4 forwards, and if Stafford and Ennis don't take big steps up, the Sabres will be out early again.

That last statement right there really sums it up. A fair assessment of our forwards and their effectiveness(especially come playoff time).

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the cup.

I was speaking more to the perception of our team outside our fan base.

Put it this way, if Toronto or the Rangers or Philadelphia had the second half we did, followed by the offseason we had, they would be getting a lot more hype than we are.

Regarding our top forwards, I understand nfreeman's skepticism, even share it to a degree.

But I also remember Bruin fans were as skeptical of their core forwards this time last year.

And rightfully so — they were dead last in offence and had embarrassed themselves folding against the Flyers.

(Goddammit! Why do things always look better in September?) :wallbash:

Miller was injured and it showed as well last year, and a healthy Miller with a solid backup to spell him makes for a solid foundation we did not have with Lalime (although he was well liked).

I don't remember Miller being injured... No one reacted to it yet, but I sure don't remember it.

I disagree with this. The line between winning and losing is thin. You can't convince me looking at the Boston lineup starting their Stanley Cup run last year that they were a lock to win it all. Sure Thomas was a given, but the rest grew into it as they went. The Sabres lost Pominville and Roy last year. That was a good chunk of the Offense and Special Teams that could have made a difference against Philly.

A solid blue line could allow these guys to play with a little more of an edge. And a little more of an edge might just be the difference between winning and losing. A few timely goals last year would have gone a long way.

I for one think we will see a VERY improved big six this year.

I don't remember Miller being injured... No one reacted to it yet, but I sure don't remember it.

The paddle of Enroth saved our season. Miller was great in the playoffs (IMO) but it was the backup who needed to pull out a bunch of those wins down the stretch.

I disagree with this. The line between winning and losing is thin. You can't convince me looking at the Boston lineup starting their Stanley Cup run last year that they were a lock to win it all. Sure Thomas was a given, but the rest grew into it as they went. The Sabres lost Pominville and Roy last year. That was a good chunk of the Offense and Special Teams that could have made a difference against Philly.

A solid blue line could allow these guys to play with a little more of an edge. And a little more of an edge might just be the difference between winning and losing. A few timely goals last year would have gone a long way.

I for one think we will see a VERY improved big six this year.

I appreciate the optimism and I hope you're right. In response, though, I'll note:

1. Boston's new forward, Horton, was 10x better in the playoffs than the Sabres' new forward (Boyes).

2. Boston's rookie forward sparkplug, Marchand, was much better in the playoffs than his counterpart on the Sabres (Ennis). I could see Ennis getting there this year, but it's far from certain. Marchand's game and body are more playoff-ready than Ennis'.

3. Bergeron is much better than any center on the Sabres. I can see Leino getting there, but again it's far from certain.

4. Roy missed the playoffs last season, but he played against the Bruins in the 2009-2010 playoffs and, at age 27, was terrible. This isn't an Ennis/Gerbe situation that can be excused away due to youth. There is no reason to think he would've been any better against Philly last year or will be any better this year. As for Pommer, he was slightly less terrible than Roy against the Bruins and pretty ineffective in 5 games vs Philly this year.

5. It cannot be overemphasized that the Sabres' "top 6" scored a grand total of ZERO goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a 7-game series vs Philly this year.

I definitely think a stouter defense and more rested and hungry Miller will make a big difference. However, to be a serious contender, I think the Sabres need much more out of their top 6.

I appreciate the optimism and I hope you're right. In response, though, I'll note:

1. Boston's new forward, Horton, was 10x better in the playoffs than the Sabres' new forward (Boyes).

2. Boston's rookie forward sparkplug, Marchand, was much better in the playoffs than his counterpart on the Sabres (Ennis). I could see Ennis getting there this year, but it's far from certain. Marchand's game and body are more playoff-ready than Ennis'.

3. Bergeron is much better than any center on the Sabres. I can see Leino getting there, but again it's far from certain.

4. Roy missed the playoffs last season, but he played against the Bruins in the 2009-2010 playoffs and, at age 27, was terrible. This isn't an Ennis/Gerbe situation that can be excused away due to youth. There is no reason to think he would've been any better against Philly last year or will be any better this year. As for Pommer, he was slightly less terrible than Roy against the Bruins and pretty ineffective in 5 games vs Philly this year.

5. It cannot be overemphasized that the Sabres' "top 6" scored a grand total of ZERO goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a 7-game series vs Philly this year.

I definitely think a stouter defense and more rested and hungry Miller will make a big difference. However, to be a serious contender, I think the Sabres need much more out of their top 6.

I agree with every one of your points. Then again, you probably already knew that. :ph34r:

I'm fairly certain that our defence will keep playoff games tighter. And tighter games mean anything can happen. But realistically, our top 6 HAS to play better in the playoffs than they have the last two seasons. Is it realistic to expect them to be better when they haven't really shown the ability to do in the near past? My gut tells me no.

But I'll watch and hope. And maybe, just maybe, if the regular season goes real well there will be some demand created for some of our guys and we'll be able to move them in return for playoff performers for our top 6 positions.

IMO, the guys in the top 6 who have the best chance to raise their level of play in the playoffs, are guys who have the size, but choose not to use it in the regular season. Come the playoffs, that size(if they choose to use it in both the offensive and defensive zones), could make the difference between winning a Cup or being invisible and getting tossed out in the first round.

Stafford & Vanek.

The comparisons withe Bruins forwards strike me as odd. They lose Savard and win it all. We lose Timmay, gain Leino. Are we not better? To say nothing of our new and tremendously improved D. The reason for optomism is clear with this team.

Archived