Looking at Cap Geek

FolignosJock

So according to capgeek we are 3 million over the cap currently, with the likely AHL banishment coming down on Shaone and Kotalik. But going into next off season we lose 17 million off the books with Boyes, hecht, and goose as well as the previously mentioned contracts. Next offseason we will need to get Myers an extension, hopefully resign grags, ennis and kaleta. That leaves by my extremely rough estimate around 9 millionish left for free agents. What would you like to see happen?

So according to capgeek we are 3 million over the cap currently, with the likely AHL banishment coming down on Shaone and Kotalik. But going into next off season we lose 17 million off the books with Boyes, hecht, and goose as well as the previously mentioned contracts. Next offseason we will need to get Myers an extension, hopefully resign grags, ennis and kaleta. That leaves by my extremely rough estimate around 9 millionish left for free agents. What would you like to see happen?

I think we'll trade Shaone for a draft pick this fall. He's still young and has value to a team that is short on veteran d-men. If that happens, by my count we only have $12.992 mil. coming off the books due to UFAs next year (Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Goose, plus $167 from Kennedy). And, the two Tylers should eat up a good part of that. I assume one or two of the forward spots will go to youngsters (Kassian, Foligno, etc.). I wouldn't be shocked to see the team re-sign Goose for size, leadership and faceoff ability. So maybe one FA forward with a relatively high price tag next year?

Hard to speculate without seeing what the 2011-2012 team looks like. Is it hockey season yet...?! :D

If we are looking at UFA's, Sharp and Stoll will be coming up.

For RFA's, Tavares and Duchene would probably be the top targets. Maybe Omark.

As fun and interesting as it is to speculate, at some point you have to acknowledge how ridiculous it is to do so. So much can change between now and then. Trades can happen, especially at the trade deadline.

I'm not trying to shoot down the thread, it's just that every time I look that far ahead, I get lost in all the possibilities :wallbash:

Thats way too far ahead in the future for me. Just want to see how this year goes and worry about next year then. Although I would like to see myers locked up long term now. As for the rest, see how the chips fall first.

I want to know how we're going to get under the cap for this season, I dont think this is the final roster, so to speak.

It's clearly stated in the original post. Just to be sure you get it, the Sabres are going to send down Morrisson and Kotalik. That's your answer.

Sharp just signed a 5 year extension a few weeks back.

Whoops! Sorry, didnt realize that!

Anyways, it can be fun to speculate. I would rather see how some of our youth develops rather than reaching outside, but Tavares would be a solid addition (the local connection also helps). I am very curious to see if he is going to be willing/ interested to stay with NYI.

If the Sabres managed to get Tavares, I would be beyond satisfied. I would take Tavares over Duchene, Stastny, and probably even Spezza. Unfortunately the Isles seem to have a pretty good thing going with all their youth, I would be shocked if they let Tavares get away... offer sheet or otherwise.

I know its hard to look that far in the future but the offseason is killing me and I know nothing about hot sauce so Im pretty much out of all the threads that are going on right now :nana:

Then take up drinking. There's about 4 active threads on booze right now.

If the Sabres managed to get Tavares, I would be beyond satisfied. I would take Tavares over Duchene, Stastny, and probably even Spezza. Unfortunately the Isles seem to have a pretty good thing going with all their youth, I would be shocked if they let Tavares get away... offer sheet or otherwise.

Well, since the stars that were eligible (Stamkos, Doughty, etc.) didn't get offer-sheeted this year, it probably won't happen with Tavares.

Well, since the stars that were eligible (Stamkos, Doughty, etc.) didn't get offer-sheeted this year, it probably won't happen with Tavares.

Probably not. But just because player A B and C didn't get an offer sheet in 2006 didn't stop Edmonton from giving Vanek an offer sheet in 2007, did it? It could happen, but that's beside the point anyway. Like I said, NY wouldn't let him leave... be it by offer sheet or otherwise.

While there was an offer sheet process prior to the lock out, it hadn't been used in the six years preceding it. With the salary cap that accompanied the new CBA, GM's went back to the offer sheet. Only 6 offer sheets have been signed since the lockout, and Penner is the only player to change teams. There have been no offer sheets in the last couple years. I believe they are fading back into obscurity.

While there was an offer sheet process prior to the lock out, it hadn't been used in the six years preceding it. With the salary cap that accompanied the new CBA, GM's went back to the offer sheet. Only 6 offer sheets have been signed since the lockout, and Penner is the only player to change teams. There have been no opffer sheets in the last couple years. I believe they are fading back into obscurity.

But the topic will come back every season regardless. It's a conversation piece, nothing more.

The Isles have a very nice young core, but that might not be enough to keep him there. He might be unhappy with the rickety building and fickle fan base.

I would think of all the teams, Buffalo would have the best chance at getting him, if he does decide to leave. He was a former Bandits ball boy after all!

Assume the following:

No preseason injuries.

No trades except involving Kotalik, Morrisonn, Gragnani, or Ellis, for picks or prospects.

The Sabres send the above 4 players to Rochester. This leaves 20 players on the NHL roster.

They then are 2,004,643 below the salary cap.

Ellis has a 2 way contract this year but a 1 way contract next year. Suppose we send Ellis to Rochester but recall him later. If some one claims him we have to pay half of his salary this season. What about next season?

Archived