With the Islanders Lease ending...

LGR4GM

Actually the title should be, "We are not in Missouri anymore Toto!"

The empty Kansas City arena is in Kansas City, Missouri.

Just Saying...

I have seen the new arena and had dinner and drinks in that area of the city. Downtown Kansas City is great, take the chain restaurants of the Walden, add an AMC theater from hell (Food and Bar Service during the movies!) add a couple of clubs and decent bars and this is all surrounded by this area. Downtown Buffalo sure could get a dose of what KC has.

Do I think they would support it? Yes, as long as it is a competive team just like other fringe hockey cities. I have been to a San Jose game and I can tell you they are die hard hockey fans, of course the sharks are the only game in town there.

It will be interesting to see.

Actually the title should be, "We are not in Missouri anymore Toto!"

The empty Kansas City arena is in Kansas City, Missouri.

Just Saying...

I have seen the new arena and had dinner and drinks in that area of the city. Downtown Kansas City is great, take the chain restaurants of the Walden, add an AMC theater from hell (Food and Bar Service during the movies!) add a couple of clubs and decent bars and this is all surrounded by this area. Downtown Buffalo sure could get a dose of what KC has.

Do I think they would support it? Yes, as long as it is a competive team just like other fringe hockey cities. I have been to a San Jose game and I can tell you they are die hard hockey fans, of course the sharks are the only game in town there.

It will be interesting to see.

Chain restaurants? Ugh. No; keep 'em in KC. Either KC.

Chain restaurants? Ugh. No; keep 'em in KC. Either KC.

Well let see there is maybe 2 places I eat before a Sabres game. My choices within walking distance of the arena is like what 4 places?! Correct me if I am wrong.

In KC there is over 15 places within walking distance and not all are chains. All I am saying is the whole game night experience would be even better if there was a selection of places to go eat, drink, and play before and after a game inside a 4 block radius of the arena.

Well let see there is maybe 2 places I eat before a Sabres game. My choices within walking distance of the arena is like what 4 places?! Correct me if I am wrong.

Where are the good places to eat within walking distance of HSBC?

I am travelling to a bunch of games of games from Roch for the first time this year. Most years I only attended one or two games, so I never explored.

Where are the good places to eat within walking distance of HSBC?

I am travelling to a bunch of games of games from Roch for the first time this year. Most years I only attended one or two games, so I never explored.

One of these days, I'm going to compile a list and ask the mods to add it as some sort of resource. Actually, I already kind of have that compiled from 2007, when I had to give a hundred wedding guests ideas on where to go downtown. I'll update it and see if people find it useful.

In the meantime, the easy ones to come up with are City Grill for either nice sit-down dining or high-end bar snacks (but the best wings in the immediate vicinity of the arena); Pearl Street Grill & Brewery for pub fare (sandwiches, shepherd's pies, wings, nachos, burgers, etc.) or a pre-game buffet (I think it's $15) and craft brews; WJ Morrissey's for the Irish pub atmosphere; and a sports bar near Morrissey's whose name I cannot remember.

There's also Irish Times, Washington Square Pub, Swannie House, all of which are a little dive-ish; Templeton Landing (which is a longer walk--about 15 mins--but which has free parking and a free shuttle) for overpriced seafood and an awesome view of the water; the Hatch and the new snack bar at the harbor, for nice-weather games; Pettibone's Grill (I don't like their food, though) and probably a few that I'm missing. The main hangouts are the ones in the preceding paragraph though.

And then there's all the stuff that is park-and-free-metro away; I'm going to include that in the list. I'll get it done soon.

I don't know if KC can support a new team better than the Scouts, but the new arena is in a much better location than the old one and KC has a minor league team in a 3K seat arena that is always sold out, so I'd like to see it happen.

If Snow remains the GM, I doubt hockey will go over well in KC.

If they get somebody that knows what they're doing to run the franchise, I'd expect it to be doable.

KC's original incarnation couldn't make a go of it in Denver either, but the Nords have been rather successful there and they even have to compete w/ an NBA team.

If Snow remains the GM, I doubt hockey will go over well in KC.

If they get somebody that knows what they're doing to run the franchise, I'd expect it to be doable.

KC's original incarnation couldn't make a go of it in Denver either, but the Nords have been rather successful there and they even have to compete w/ an NBA team.

Which would you rather have, Milbury or Snow? I'll allow you to recover from reading this question and take your time in answering it.

When the Browns left Cleveland, it broke my heart. I remember waking up the next morning totally convinced that it was a terrible dream - literally. I had been a major fan since 1955. I haven't bothered with football since.

If that can happen, the Islanders can leave LI...or the Sabres Buffalo as nearly happened after the Rigas disaster.

Which would you rather have, Milbury or Snow? I'll allow you to recover from reading this question and take your time in answering it.

That's like which late night syndicated show would you like to watch STUDS or Cheaters? :sick:

I know some of you will say STUDS, wiki it.

When the Browns left Cleveland, it broke my heart. I remember waking up the next morning totally convinced that it was a terrible dream - literally. I had been a major fan since 1955. I haven't bothered with football since.

If that can happen, the Islanders can leave LI...or the Sabres Buffalo as nearly happened after the Rigas disaster.

Sabres can't leave buffalo unless Pegula sells the team which won't happen anytime soon. Part of the contract to sell the team by Golisano had that prevision in it that the team could not be moved.

As for your other point, I think that if a arena could be built within the general area of NYC then the Islanders would move to that area out of necessity. Wang has been losing money so if someone was like here I have land to sell and we could build an arena, I think he is out... Long Island has been terrible to him honestly... they should have let him develop the area around the current arena and they probably will feel the sting of losing the commercial revenue that 18000 fans bring into the area 41 nights a year not including playoffs (which the islanders have missed A LOT). Unintended consequences...

Sabres can't leave buffalo unless Pegula sells the team which won't happen anytime soon. Part of the contract to sell the team by Golisano had that prevision in it that the team could not be moved.

As for your other point, I think that if a arena could be built within the general area of NYC then the Islanders would move to that area out of necessity. Wang has been losing money so if someone was like here I have land to sell and we could build an arena, I think he is out... Long Island has been terrible to him honestly... they should have let him develop the area around the current arena and they probably will feel the sting of losing the commercial revenue that 18000 fans bring into the area 41 nights a year not including playoffs (which the islanders have missed A LOT). Unintended consequences...

Yeah, I know the Sabres are here to stay...I was just saying that before TP, that wasn't necessarily the case.

LI has really screwed Wang so I wouldn't blame him if he tried to sell the team or move them out of the NY area. I'm sure Bettman wouldn't approve but personally, I never liked that franchise anyway. Move the Devils while you're at it IMO.

Yeah, I know the Sabres are here to stay...I was just saying that before TP, that wasn't necessarily the case.

LI has really screwed Wang so I wouldn't blame him if he tried to sell the team or move them out of the NY area. I'm sure Bettman wouldn't approve but personally, I never liked that franchise anyway. Move the Devils while you're at it IMO.

Until Pegula came along I might have agreed with you ... but more New York teams = more TV revenue = higher salary cap = better for the Sabres. Never thought I'd ever type something like that.

out of curiosity, what were the 24 rules?

I'm not sure if he ever spelled them all out. But it was stuff like, "Have existing owners sought additional revenue streams?" "Have additional investors been sought?" "Is there another potential ownership group in that city?" I could look back to that chapter and see what else it says. The whole point was, once they put a team in a city, the league kind of felt they owed it to that city to try to keep the franchise there. I think he said that he put those rules in there because he worried about the ability of the Buffalo to hang onto the Sabres after the Knox ownership ended and crafted the rules to try to make sure every avenue was exhausted before a move.

He talks about the Oakland Seals, Cleveland Barons and other franchises that failed, looking at what went bad in those cities and what could be learned form them.

It is so freaking self-indulgent that it seems like Swados invented bandy and shinny, brought them across the Atlantic to Canada and renamed them hockey, convinced Lord Stanley to sponsor a trophy, and brought a franchise to Buffalo.

Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but still. It's a little over the top. You were the team's lawyer, bud; not the team owner.

It is published by a local publisher, Prometheus, but it is a legit publisher and not a "vanity" publisher or a publisher specializing in self-promoted works. It is available new on amazon or used from this poster. (KIdding; I'm keeping it.)

I won't disagree with anything you say about Swados. Definitely a guy with an ego, and he really doesn't write very well. He tries very hard, and fails miserably, to be objective. But remember, it's a memoir. It's what he remembers.

When the Browns left Cleveland I realized that no team is safe. It was sad for that city and for the fans. Salt in the wound was the Ravens winning the SB shortly thereafter. No team is safe no matter what.

When the Browns left Cleveland I realized that no team is safe. It was sad for that city and for the fans. Salt in the wound was the Ravens winning the SB shortly thereafter. No team is safe no matter what.

the NY Yankees will always be the NY Yankees... as long as there is professional baseball and a United States of America, the Yankees will be in NYC.

Outside of that... who knows.

I'm not sure if he ever spelled them all out. But it was stuff like, "Have existing owners sought additional revenue streams?" "Have additional investors been sought?" "Is there another potential ownership group in that city?" I could look back to that chapter and see what else it says. The whole point was, once they put a team in a city, the league kind of felt they owed it to that city to try to keep the franchise there. I think he said that he put those rules in there because he worried about the ability of the Buffalo to hang onto the Sabres after the Knox ownership ended and crafted the rules to try to make sure every avenue was exhausted before a move.

He talks about the Oakland Seals, Cleveland Barons and other franchises that failed, looking at what went bad in those cities and what could be learned form them.

:huh:

In the '70's & early 80's, during Swados' heyday, it'd been over 30 years since they had remotely as many teams moving. The Seals went to Cleveland and then merged w/ the No. Stars.

The Chiefs moved to Denver and then moved to Joisey.

The Flames moved to Calgary.

The Blues were sold and were set to move to Saskatoon, but the league put its foot down and realized that was taking things just a bit too far. Of course, they rewarded the Blues for staying in St. Louis by barring them from the draft. :doh:

And by the way, what went bad in Oakland and Cleveland was the same thing that went bad in Minnesota - the Gunds. People don't kill hockey, Gunds kill hockey. :doh:

"Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy says he welcomes the idea of the hockey team moving to the eastern end of the island that he represents, as long as it's good for the team and for the community.

He said on Saturday he called team owner Charles Wang last week to talk about the idea."

Its from a tsn story http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373344

The Islanders may have another suitor on L.I. which is cool because I think they make that conference interesting and if they could get into a building where they could make money I think the Islanders could reemerge as a force... frankly I am sick of that division (fixed sorry) being dominated by the flyers and the pens... time will tell but i figure this was a legit update that ppl may have missed so here ya go!

"Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy says he welcomes the idea of the hockey team moving to the eastern end of the island that he represents, as long as it's good for the team and for the community.

He said on Saturday he called team owner Charles Wang last week to talk about the idea."

Its from a tsn story http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373344

The Islanders may have another suitor on L.I. which is cool because I think they make that conference interesting and if they could get into a building where they could make money I think the Islanders could reemerge as a force... frankly I am sick of that conference being dominated by the flyers and the pens... time will tell but i figure this was a legit update that ppl may have missed so here ya go!

Until DeLuca signed Kovy (kidding), I think that division (not conf.) was pretty well handled by the Devs. The Flyers were basement-dwellers as recently as 2007. There's a fair amount of turnover in the Atlantic.

In the meantime, the easy ones to come up with are City Grill for either nice sit-down dining or high-end bar snacks (but the best wings in the immediate vicinity of the arena); Pearl Street Grill & Brewery for pub fare (sandwiches, shepherd's pies, wings, nachos, burgers, etc.) or a pre-game buffet (I think it's $15) and craft brews; WJ Morrissey's for the Irish pub atmosphere; and a sports bar near Morrissey's whose name I cannot remember.

My next question would be, how busy is a place like Pearl Street Grill prior to a Sabres game? Impossible to get a table?

My next question would be, how busy is a place like Pearl Street Grill prior to a Sabres game? Impossible to get a table?

Pearl Street is very busy prior to games. You would do well to get there a little before 5pm. The buffet has a lot of turnover, though, if I remember correctly.

Archived