With the Islanders Lease ending...

LGR4GM

And I can assume places like Morrisseys are equally as busy?

I don't go to Morrissey's before games because I'm almost always walking to the game from the other direction.

City Grill can be busy but they take reservations--Pearl Street doesn't on game days, I'm pretty sure.

One of these days, I'm going to compile a list and ask the mods to add it as some sort of resource. Actually, I already kind of have that compiled from 2007, when I had to give a hundred wedding guests ideas on where to go downtown. I'll update it and see if people find it useful.

In the meantime, the easy ones to come up with are City Grill for either nice sit-down dining or high-end bar snacks (but the best wings in the immediate vicinity of the arena); Pearl Street Grill & Brewery for pub fare (sandwiches, shepherd's pies, wings, nachos, burgers, etc.) or a pre-game buffet (I think it's $15) and craft brews; WJ Morrissey's for the Irish pub atmosphere; and a sports bar near Morrissey's whose name I cannot remember.

There's also Irish Times, Washington Square Pub, Swannie House, all of which are a little dive-ish; Templeton Landing (which is a longer walk--about 15 mins--but which has free parking and a free shuttle) for overpriced seafood and an awesome view of the water; the Hatch and the new snack bar at the harbor, for nice-weather games; Pettibone's Grill (I don't like their food, though) and probably a few that I'm missing. The main hangouts are the ones in the preceding paragraph though.

And then there's all the stuff that is park-and-free-metro away; I'm going to include that in the list. I'll get it done soon.

Ok. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the list that I started in 2007, so I'm going to do it from scratch. Considering the metro as a primary means for access to the arena, how far north should I go? I'm inclined to start with Allentown restaurants that are within walking distance of the metro station, then Chippewa restaurants (not crappy shot-bars; actual restaurants) within walking distance of that metro station, and finally restaurants that are within walking distance of the Arena itself. That's going to be a pretty good-sized list with lots of options.

Should I do the same for hotels? Do those of you who live out of town and come to games typically stay at a hotel?

Ok. I have looked everywhere and cannot find the list that I started in 2007, so I'm going to do it from scratch. Considering the metro as a primary means for access to the arena, how far north should I go? I'm inclined to start with Allentown restaurants that are within walking distance of the metro station, then Chippewa restaurants (not crappy shot-bars; actual restaurants) within walking distance of that metro station, and finally restaurants that are within walking distance of the Arena itself. That's going to be a pretty good-sized list with lots of options.

Should I do the same for hotels? Do those of you who live out of town and come to games typically stay at a hotel?

Eleven, thanks for doin this! I stay with family whenever I venture out that way, but the restaurant list would be handy. I always go to Primo's before a game, and wouldn't mind switchin it up some.

I come to games from Rochester, and dont stay at hotels because it is only an hour away. I would assume that most other Rochesterians drive home after games.

I also dont know anything about alternate transportation, being that I am not from the area. Where I live, we dont use subways. When I go to Sabres games, I just park in one of the lots - so I dont immediately understand the correlation of people parking at UB and taking a bus.

All of the info you have provided so far has been excellent. Looking at their menus, it is strange how different Buffalo food is from Rochester food, despite how close the cities are. Everywhere in Rochester serves a Garbage Plate, and nobody has Beef On Weck, and the opposite looks true of Buffalo. Definately looking forward to the games and new foods and new friends this year!

I come to games from Rochester, and dont stay at hotels because it is only an hour away. I would assume that most other Rochesterians drive home after games.

I also dont know anything about alternate transportation, being that I am not from the area. Where I live, we dont use subways. When I go to Sabres games, I just park in one of the lots - so I dont immediately understand the correlation of people parking at UB and taking a bus.

All of the info you have provided so far has been excellent. Looking at their menus, it is strange how different Buffalo food is from Rochester food, despite how close the cities are. Everywhere in Rochester serves a Garbage Plate, and nobody has Beef On Weck, and the opposite looks true of Buffalo. Definately looking forward to the games and new foods and new friends this year!

theres a subway that runs straight down main street to the arena. its like 3.50$ for a round trip ticket and you can get back on it after a game its actually really nice. look it up but that way you can eat before the game then take the subway, just a thought. There are like 15 stops along the way as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Metro_Rail

theres a subway that runs straight down main street to the arena. its like 3.50$ for a round trip ticket and you can get back on it after a game its actually really nice. look it up but that way you can eat before the game then take the subway, just a thought. There are like 15 stops along the way as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Metro_Rail

Also, after the game...if you can't get on...just walk to Fountain Plaza...everyone get's off at that stop or the next one so it's easy to get on there lol

If I'm remembering correctly, the subway is free within a certain number of stops to the arena, too... or is that something else?

If I'm remembering correctly, the subway is free within a certain number of stops to the arena, too... or is that something else?

You are remembering correctly. The last stop where you have to pay to get on is at Allen St. The Theater District and Fountain Plaza stops that are close to Chippewa are in the free zone, as is the arena.

You are remembering correctly. The last stop where you have to pay to get on is at Allen St. The Theater District and Fountain Plaza stops that are close to Chippewa are in the free zone, as is the arena.

I would be happy to supplement any guide you create into a full featured spread on the game day experience. We could do maps, menus, pics, etc... Just a thought!

I would be happy to supplement any guide you create into a full featured spread on the game day experience. We could do maps, menus, pics, etc... Just a thought!

That's a great idea! Especially helpful for those of us who are further out of town (and not originally from the area).

I'm working on it.

I got about 1/4 through the restaurant thing today. I've got the downtown covered; moving on to Chip and Allentown.

Do we consider Swannie House to be walking distance to the Arena or no?

EDIT: Ok, I've got Allentown down now, too. All that leaves is Chippewa (with approximately 14 restaurants!) to go. I may have to put it aside for the rest of the week, but I will be done far in advance of the season. Pics might be cool; I think that menus will be superfluous given what I'm doing. One master map might help; we won't need more than that. Everything I'm writing about is within six blocks of the Arena or four blocks of the Allen, Theater, or Fountain metro stations. I'm leaving a lot out, I know, but there will be thirty-odd restaurants on there as is.

I think I will include hotels after all. It's easy enough to do.

ANOTHER EDIT: Scott, if you want to vet it first, just let me know. And Chz, I need some info on Bijou from you; it's definitely in range, but I've never been, and I know you're a regular there. I need price, menu, atmosphere, and drinks (are they great at cocktails? huge wine list? big beer selection? etc.) info. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on it.

I got about 1/4 through the restaurant thing today. I've got the downtown covered; moving on to Chip and Allentown.

Do we consider Swannie House to be walking distance to the Arena or no?

EDIT: Ok, I've got Allentown down now, too. All that leaves is Chippewa (with approximately 14 restaurants!) to go. I may have to put it aside for the rest of the week, but I will be done far in advance of the season. Pics might be cool; I think that menus will be superfluous given what I'm doing. One master map might help; we won't need more than that. Everything I'm writing about is within six blocks of the Arena or four blocks of the Allen, Theater, or Fountain metro stations. I'm leaving a lot out, I know, but there will be thirty-odd restaurants on there as is.

I think I will include hotels after all. It's easy enough to do.

ANOTHER EDIT: Scott, if you want to vet it first, just let me know. And Chz, I need some info on Bijou from you; it's definitely in range, but I've never been, and I know you're a regular there. I need price, menu, atmosphere, and drinks (are they great at cocktails? huge wine list? big beer selection? etc.) info. Thanks.

How is your project coming along Eleven?

• 2 months later...

Archived