Have the Sabres pidgeon holed their roster?

inkman

With the acquisitions this offseason as well retaining their RFA's, did the Sabres essentially lock in their lineup? I have a hard time picturing how they will get Adam, Kassian or whoever into the lineup without making some sort of roster move (barring injuries).

I suspect their banking on injuries to give the kids time, but I've been thinking about this as well. Unless they trade away (which I'm not sure will happen) I think their lineup only has a couple of variations. No season is complete without at least one lengthy injury (no Connolly to fulfill that need anymore :( ).

With the acquisitions this offseason as well retaining their RFA's, did the Sabres essentially lock in their lineup? I have a hard time picturing how they will get Adam, Kassian or whoever into the lineup without making some sort of roster move (barring injuries).

I think you are looking at opening day roster now. A few call ups during the season of Kassian and Adam and a trade deadline rental is about the only changes we'll see from here on out, imho.

I'm not sure I'd use that term, but if your asking is the roster locked, then I'd say yes, and I'm OK with that. Kaleta won't play 60 games, and I'm sure there will be 20-30 other player-games where we'll see a call up at forward. We won't have an extra forward on the roster, so it will be a 1 for 1 call up to injury/illness ratio. I don't see many d-men getting the nod, we'll carry 7 all season so maybe the occasional game where 2 guys are out, 5-10 games total would be my guess.

If Morrisonn and Kotalik end up in Rochester there will be some room for callups. But not much room. And I think this is the exact team that will open the season. They are done. Mostly because I don't see any other team taking Morrisonn or Kotalik off our hands.

I think they have the training camp roster now.

When training camp opens things will start moving around with waivers, trades, and injuries.

I always remind myself that 2005-06 started with Roy and Pominville in Rochester, and they ended up playing huge roles on a very good Sabres team.. You just never know what is going to happen.

(That said, they both had spent the whole lockout season down there and also ripped it up early - Pominville had 19 goals in 18 games, Roy had 20 points in 8 games. That's a little different than Kassian's situation playing his first year of pro hockey. But Adam could be up for good by the end of October for all we know.)

If Morrisonn and Kotalik end up in Rochester there will be some room for callups. But not much room. And I think this is the exact team that will open the season. They are done. Mostly because I don't see any other team taking Morrisonn or Kotalik off our hands.

I agree on Kotalik. I don't agree on Morrisonn. I think he'll get traded. He's an NHL level defenseman that had a sub-par year. He's not an AHL guy, and there are enough teams with room to spend and his cap hit of $2 million isn't going to break the bank for anyone that's looking for an NHL defenseman in their top 7. Kotalik is in Rochester and no one will touch him, though.

Actually, I don't see it hinging on someone taking those two. They need to put Morrisonn and Kotalik in Rochester just to get under the cap limit. So, even if someone took Kotalik, then they'd have to stash someone else like Boyes in Rochester to create room any new players. I could see them trading Morrisonn, Kotalik, or Boyes to the Islanders or Predators to help them get above the floor, but that would be either just a stand-alone dump by the Sabres or a separate move from an acquisition, as those two would only want to send back someone on a cheap contract.

Regardless, I agree that they are probably done for this season. Next year, several contracts are up (Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Morrisonn, Gaustad), but they'll have Myers and Ennis to re-sign, which may or may not leave them with room to make a significant move. I wouldn't say "pigeon holed", but not too far from it.

I agree on Kotalik. I don't agree on Morrisonn. I think he'll get traded. He's an NHL level defenseman that had a sub-par year. He's not an AHL guy, and there are enough teams with room to spend and his cap hit of $2 million isn't going to break the bank for anyone that's looking for an NHL defenseman in their top 7. Kotalik is in Rochester and no one will touch him, though.

But from the Sabres' perspective, why should they trade Morrisonn? They wouldn't get much in return for him. Wouldn't they be better off keeping him as a relatively low-cost insurance policy?

Separately, I too thought the Sabres were done for the summer, but in the most recent interview I heard with Darcy (which was I think after the Enroth signing), it sounded like he was interested in making a trade. One of the Sabres' beat writers also hinted recently that he expected a trade. So now I'm kinda expecting one more move -- and one in which the Sabres will add a roster player, not just dump salary. XB could certainly be right that it won't be until camp though.

But from the Sabres' perspective, why should they trade Morrisonn? They wouldn't get much in return for him. Wouldn't they be better off keeping him as a relatively low-cost insurance policy?

Separately, I too thought the Sabres were done for the summer, but in the most recent interview I heard with Darcy (which was I think after the Enroth signing), it sounded like he was interested in making a trade. One of the Sabres' beat writers also hinted recently that he expected a trade. So now I'm kinda expecting one more move -- and one in which the Sabres will add a roster player, not just dump salary. XB could certainly be right that it won't be until camp though.

There are prospects, and they'll get the call above spare veterans lying about like Morrisonn imho. Thats not even thinking of Morrisonn asking to be traded knowing he doesn't stand a chance at an NHL spot here

It would be a luxury. I think could be stockpiled until injuries start piling up around the league and he could be sold high. Come December he could be worth a 4th rounder when a bit of his salary is paid down.

The problem is not so much salary as ice time.

I don't think you want him taking too much ice time from Rochester prospects that need as much as they can get... McNabb, Brennan, Schiestle, Pysyk etc.

A do think a trade is in the Sabres best interest. good stuff.

I think you're dead on with respect to Morrisonn. There have to be teams that want to give him a chance at that price. The question is, are any of them willing to trade for him as opposed to hoping they're first in line when he eventually appears on the waiver wire?

And I'm not so sure about Kotalik. He could end up in Buffalo (although I don't think the chances are real high), but he also could end up with a team reaching for that cap floor.

I think you're dead on with respect to Morrisonn. There have to be teams that want to give him a chance at that price. The question is, are any of them willing to trade for him as opposed to hoping they're first in line when he eventually appears on the waiver wire?

I think Morrison is a better player than Jurcinda on the Island. Morrison could even be top 4 there.

Heck, if you let Morrison ice the puck as much as Capuano lets his team......Morrison is a perfect fit.

Big body that can shoot it out, minus any transition expectations.

I look at the Florida Panthers lineup and can't help but think Boyes and Kotalik would fit in wonderfully with that set of players. Hell, maybe Morrisson too!

Too bad there's only, oh, ZERO players I'd be interested in from their roster...

(fake edit: scratch that, forgot about Weiss. but i don't think even the great darcy regier could rip them off THAT badly)

I look at the Florida Panthers lineup and can't help but think Boyes and Kotalik would fit in wonderfully with that set of players. Hell, maybe Morrisson too!

Too bad there's only, oh, ZERO players I'd be interested in from their roster...

(fake edit: scratch that, forgot about Weiss. but i don't think even the great darcy regier could rip them off THAT badly)

Not Versteeg or Upshall?

There are prospects, and they'll get the call above spare veterans lying about like Morrisonn imho. Thats not even thinking of Morrisonn asking to be traded knowing he doesn't stand a chance at an NHL spot here

I agree with this for regular-season call-ups, but in the playoffs, I'd rather have an experienced guy like Morrisonn.

Morrisonn and Sekera get criticized plenty on this board, but losing them both in the playoffs really hurt the Sabres. 2 more NHL defensemen would have been nice against that GD Philly forecheck.

It would be a luxury. I think could be stockpiled until injuries start piling up around the league and he could be sold high. Come December he could be worth a 4th rounder when a bit of his salary is paid down.

The problem is not so much salary as ice time.

I don't think you want him taking too much ice time from Rochester prospects that need as much as they can get... McNabb, Brennan, Schiestle, Pysyk etc.

The ice time point is a good one, but even with those guys (and assuming they all stay healthy), there probably aren't 6 defensive prospects that need cultivation as a higher franchise priority than keeping an experienced defenseman as playoff injury insurance.

As for getting a 4th-rounder -- you're probably right, but I'd probably rather have Morrisonn for the playoffs this year than a 4th-rounder next year.

And I'm not so sure about Kotalik. He could end up in Buffalo (although I don't think the chances are real high), but he also could end up with a team reaching for that cap floor.

I can see Big Al in Buffalo, but only if a winger is traded (which is possible).

You wouldn't be interested in Booth? Head problems, but if he gets through that, he's a very good player.

Why Florida? They're above the cap floor. As I mentioned, the Islanders and Predators need the most help in that regard.

Archived