[OT] Anyone else smoke butts?

carpandean

I smoked some wings on my charcoal grill last weekend. I sprinkled the wings with pampered chef buffalo rub, seared the wings over the hot charcoal for about a minute a side, then moved them over to the cool side of the grill to smoke them indirectly for about an hour and a half. I added a few chunks of apple wood to the coals for the smoke. When they were done I took about half of them and shook them in my secret chicken wing sauce recipe, and the other half I just left as they were. They turned out great, easily in my top three wing experiences and certainly the best non-deep fried wings I've ever had.

I smoked some wings on my charcoal grill last weekend. I sprinkled the wings with pampered chef buffalo rub, seared the wings over the hot charcoal for about a minute a side, then moved them over to the cool side of the grill to smoke them indirectly for about an hour and a half. I added a few chunks of apple wood to the coals for the smoke. When they were done I took about half of them and shook them in my secret chicken wing sauce recipe, and the other half I just left as they were. They turned out great, easily in my top three wing experiences and certainly the best non-deep fried wings I've ever had.

Did the skin turn out nice and crispy?

Did the skin turn out nice and crispy?

I'm not sure about the above method, but if you direct-grill for 30 minutes or so they do crisp up nicely.

My motorcycle club had two whole pigs at the national rally last weekend. So, so good (although we didn't cook them ourselves).

I'm not sure about the above method, but if you direct-grill for 30 minutes or so they do crisp up nicely.

My motorcycle club had two whole pigs at the national rally last weekend. So, so good (although we didn't cook them ourselves).

you should get one stuffed with link sausage. Adds a whole new dimension to a roast pig.

And no, there is no urban dictionary link, nor is it an innuendo of some kind.

you should get one stuffed with link sausage. Adds a whole new dimension to a roast pig.

And no, there is no urban dictionary link, nor is it an innuendo of some kind.

Sounds like the porcine equivalent of a twice baked potato. :lol:

I'd expect it's good though.

The Renowned Mr. Brown

I've been looking to get a Big Green Egg ceramic cooker lately but it's just a bit too pricey for me when considering how little time I usually have to cook these days.

claude,have had the large BGE for about a year. The temp control is amazing...get your temp right, with a full firebox, and i have gone for a 15 hr smoke with out doing one thing to the fuel or meat...unbelievable.

i smoke quite a bit, pork, turkey, chicken, brisket all in the egg, all with very little work. really is worth the money

Changed my plans for today. Ribs are on, and I added 4 pork shoulder steaks. Went with a Jamaican jerk rub and I'll finish with a jerk sauce as well.

Sweet corn, baked beans, and tomato-cucumber salad to round it out.

And the Southern Tier Hop Sun is starting to flow.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's my basic, good-for-everything rub. It is especially tasty on pulled pork and ribs but isn't out of place on beef or poultry. It is a hybrid of Carolina and Texas style rubs.

First off, you need to obtain some good chili powder. Don't go to the grocery store and buy McCormick's or other general "chili powders", they are mostly paprika and won't give you enough flavor. Either grind your own chili pods or buy the ground chile's. I grind my own powders as I need them so they are fresh and strong. My chili powder is simple, equal parts ground pasilla pepper, ancho pepper, and chipotle pepper. Pasillas are mild and have a rich earthy flavor, Anchos are a touch spicy and very flavorful, and chipotles are smoky and have a nice spicy bite. Together they make an awesome chili powder that is intense and flavorful. My local grocery store carries all 3 varieties as dried pods. I believe Wegman's does as well. I bought an inexpensive coffe grinder that I use solely for grinding spices. It's quick and effective.

Weave's All Pupose Rub

1 part sweet paprika

1 part brown sugar

1 part weave's chili powder

1/2 part kosher salt

1/4 part ground cumin

1/4 part onion powder

1/4 part garlic powder

1/4 part black pepper

1/4 part dried oregano

mix thoroughly and liberally apply to a big hunk o meat and let it marinate in the rub for several hours before sending it off to the fire. At the beginning of Summer I make a BIG batch of this rub and put it in a Tupperware container so I have it on hand, ready made fro 'queing day.

And here's my trick to awesome homemade barbeque sauce. Add 1 TBLS of rub to the sauce base and it will add another layer of flavor to the rub yuou applied to the meat. The spices take on a different character when they are cooked so you'll end up with cooked spice flavors from the rub and fresher flavors from the sauce. My sauce is simple but I can't give exact measurements because I eyeball it when I make it. I guess start with the measurements here but they may need adjustments. Taste it to make sure it is right before you call it done.

Weave's Basic Barbeque Sauce

One 16oz can of plain tomato sauce

The juice from 1/2 of a lime

a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce (soy suace is a good sub too)

1/4 cup good honey (more or less depending on how sweet you like your sauce)

1 heaping TBLS of Weave's All Purpose Rub

1 TBLS plain yellow mustard

1 small onion, diced

1 bell pepper, diced

2 cloves of garlic, minced

Saute the onion, pepper, garlic in a little veggie oil until soft and translucent. Add the tomato sauce and crank up the heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until it reaches a nice thick bottled sauce consistency (maybe 20 minutes?)and apply to meat 20 minutes before removing from the smoker.

Okay weave, you and your rub on for today. Ribs been in the frig overnight with the rub, going on around 2 today for dinner around 7.30 or 8.

Two questions..any particular wood you like with this rub? I have Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Mesquite available.

Next what temp do you cook and do you mop or sprtiz during the cooking? I like 275 for about 4.30 hours, then crank the heat on the BGE to finish with a little char. I usually spritz with apple juice mixture about evry 60-70 minutes or so..just cuirious what you do

claude,have had the large BGE for about a year. The temp control is amazing...get your temp right, with a full firebox, and i have gone for a 15 hr smoke with out doing one thing to the fuel or meat...unbelievable.

i smoke quite a bit, pork, turkey, chicken, brisket all in the egg, all with very little work. really is worth the money

I'm VERY tempted, it would be great to fire up a BGE for football/hockey season.

Funny you bring this up, my first time was last weekend for my daughters 21st bday party. I fell into this BBQ thing when I found a Char Griller horizontal smoker at a garage sale for $15. Couldn't pass it up. I love it and have been BBQing several times a week. The butt was a big endeavor for me but it came out fantastic! Very juicy. I used a rub our local butcher sold me. It was very good but I will experiment with those.

Sorry, just now saw today's posts. I use mostly apple and pear wood but all of the choices you mention should turn out great.

I like to smoke ribs around 225 but 275 should be fine. They'll be done a little quicker. I don't typically mop ribs. There's usually enough fat and connective tissue to melt and keep things moist. At 275 a mop sauce might help though.

I hope you like the rub. Give me some honest feedback. I've got a thick skin and want any constructive criticism I can get.

Sorry, just now saw today's posts. I use mostly apple and pear wood but all of the choices you mention should turn out great.

I like to smoke ribs around 225 but 275 should be fine. They'll be done a little quicker. I don't typically mop ribs. There's usually enough fat and connective tissue to melt and keep things moist. At 275 a mop sauce might help though.

I hope you like the rub. Give me some honest feedback. I've got a thick skin and want any constructive criticism I can get.

Wow, 225 is really low.you must let them go for a while.

In terms of the rub... can't quite say at this point.I had an issue last night with the fire and ribs got a wee bit overdone(in my best Bob Euker voice) let's just say your son opening the lid of the BGE and then not putting the daisy wheel back in the right position makes your ribs a bit dry and black ?

I will say it was the first time I had made my own chile powder..great idea!!And truly does not cost anymore once you consider how much you get. I have plenty of rub though..will prolly try it on m next butt, most likely next Saturday.

Wow, 225 is really low.you must let them go for a while.

225 is pretty much the standard low and slow smoking temperature. I only go up from that if I'm under time constraints.

Weave, have you ever tried the 3-2-1 method (or some variant thereof) for cooking ribs? Basically, you smoke the ribs for three hours as normal (@ 225) to get some real good smoke flavor in them. Then, you wrap them in foil with some apple juice) and put them back in the smoker (no need to add wood/chips for flavor) for two more hours, which really makes them moist. Finally, you remove them from the foil and put them back on the smoker for one last hour, possibly with sauce, to finish the outsides. It really works well.

225 is pretty much the standard low and slow smoking temperature. I only go up from that if I'm under time constraints.

Weave, have you ever tried the 3-2-1 method (or some variant thereof) for cooking ribs? Basically, you smoke the ribs for three hours as normal (@ 225) to get some real good smoke flavor in them. Then, you wrap them in foil with some apple juice) and put them back in the smoker (no need to add wood/chips for flavor) for two more hours, which really makes them moist. Finally, you remove them from the foil and put them back on the smoker for one last hour, possibly with sauce, to finish the outsides. It really works well.

Never have. When I cook pork ribs I do it one of two ways, on the propane Weber, indirect heat set the front burner at med to get ~225-250, put the ribs on the back, and do nothing for about 4 hrs. Or I toss them on the smoker. When I smoke them I try to maitain 225F and run them dry till they "frown" when I pick them up in the middle with tongs. At that point they are tender and I give them a good dose of sauce and leave them on for another ~30 min so the sauce becomes more like a glaze. I usually keep smoke on them throughout but I've heard that smoke is only benefitial for the first 2-3 hrs so I may very well be wasting my wood with smoke beyond the 3hr mark. I'm sure the 3-2-1 method works well and probably is more forgiving in that you are less likely to dry them out.

Anyone here ever smoke beef ribs? I stumbled upon a couple racks of beef ribs (think pork spare rib racks only bigger and meatier). Scooped them up for about #3.50/lb and they are on the menu for Labor Day weekend. I've never smoked beef ribs so this will be a new experience for me. I'm sure they'll be delicious but I don't want to dry them out before they get nice and tender.

Oh, and that monster brisket I mentioned earlier? It goes on the smoker the weekend of the 27th. Got some guests coming over for a bit of a party. Should be a good meal if I don't dry it out. I don't usually cook brisket cuz it takes so damned long to get tender at smoker temps. I have alot more confidence in pork on the smoker than a huge brisket like this one.

Never have. When I cook pork ribs I do it one of two ways, on the propane Weber, indirect heat set the front burner at med to get ~225-250, put the ribs on the back, and do nothing for about 4 hrs. Or I toss them on the smoker. When I smoke them I try to maitain 225F and run them dry till they "frown" when I pick them up in the middle with tongs. At that point they are tender and I give them a good dose of sauce and leave them on for another ~30 min so the sauce becomes more like a glaze. I usually keep smoke on them throughout but I've heard that smoke is only benefitial for the first 2-3 hrs so I may very well be wasting my wood with smoke beyond the 3hr mark. I'm sure the 3-2-1 method works well and probably is more forgiving in that you are less likely to dry them out.

Anyone here ever smoke beef ribs? I stumbled upon a couple racks of beef ribs (think pork spare rib racks only bigger and meatier). Scooped them up for about #3.50/lb and they are on the menu for Labor Day weekend. I've never smoked beef ribs so this will be a new experience for me. I'm sure they'll be delicious but I don't want to dry them out before they get nice and tender.

Oh, and that monster brisket I mentioned earlier? It goes on the smoker the weekend of the 27th. Got some guests coming over for a bit of a party. Should be a good meal if I don't dry it out. I don't usually cook brisket cuz it takes so damned long to get tender at smoker temps. I have alot more confidence in pork on the smoker than a huge brisket like this one.

The 3-2-1 method favored by Adam Perry Lang...his ribs are great..usuall at 250 for the ribs. I go to 275 when i have less than 5 hours.

BTW, here is his recipe for beef ribs.They are his speciality at Daisy Mae's, and they are wonderful. I perosonall have never done beef ribs so cannot vouch for this recipe at home. I use plenty of his other recipes, and while involved often turn out wonderful.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2010/05/beef_grilling_m.php

The 3-2-1 method favored by Adam Perry Lang...his ribs are great..usuall at 250 for the ribs. I go to 275 when i have less than 5 hours.

BTW, here is his recipe for beef ribs.They are his speciality at Daisy Mae's, and they are wonderful. I perosonall have never done beef ribs so cannot vouch for this recipe at home. I use plenty of his other recipes, and while involved often turn out wonderful.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2010/05/beef_grilling_m.php

Thanks for the link. I always like to get info on how others do things before I decide my method.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo.... last Sunday I took a huge packer cut beef brisket out of the freezer with the intent of smoking it today. We've had a plan with friends for weeks to get together today for a barbeque feast. And of course, like usual when I plan things like this, the weather turns to garbage. But, I'm committed to is as the meat is thawed and all the fixins were purchased.

Got up before dawn to put the brisket on the smoker. Temp control is gonna be a challenge today. And the radar is showing bands of rain that look like they'll make it to my locale later today. I'm running this one hot today, about 275-300F. See if we can get it done early and maybe I can get it out of the barrel before the rain bands show up. If nothing else, it'll minimize the amount of finish time in the oven <_< :wallbash:

Killer baked beans, cole slaw, and zucchini fritters as sides.

Oh, and the appetizers. I've got 20 big jalapenos. Split them in half, stuff with a 33/33/33 mix of cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and chorizo sausage. Wrap with a slice of bacon and cook on the smoker until the bacon is crisp. They are called atomic buffalo turds. Atomic buffalo cuz they are hot like atomic wings and turds cuz they turn into brown/black lumps. They don;t get burned, the jalapeno skin turns brown/black as it roasts. OMFG delicious.

ANd the beer will flow, rain and wind or no.

Oh, and the appetizers. I've got 20 big jalapenos. Split them in half, stuff with a 33/33/33 mix of cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and chorizo sausage. Wrap with a slice of bacon and cook on the smoker until the bacon is crisp. They are called atomic buffalo turds. Atomic buffalo cuz they are hot like atomic wings and turds cuz they turn into brown/black lumps. They don;t get burned, the jalapeno skin turns brown/black as it roasts. OMFG delicious.

ANd the beer will flow, rain and wind or no.

My neighbor always brings the stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapenos for Sunday football viewing. One time he mixed in a two or three habaneros amongst the jalapenos and didn't tell us. Guess who picked one right off the bat? I love hot stuff, but like to be prepared for the onslaught. :censored: Good luck with the brisket cook.

This was my first time cooking brisket and it came out fantastic. Very tender, nice smoke ring, and great bark. I don't know why I was a bit intimidated by it. Here's how I did it.

Night before I rubbed the brisket with a cajun/creole style rub. Let it marinate overnight. Loaded up the smoker with lump charcoal and pear wood. Used a pan of beer in the botton of the smoker for moisture. Started the smoke at 250F. After 2 hrs I upped the temp to 300F and let it cook there for a couple hrs, then dropped temp back to 250 and let it go another 2hrs. Used the "Texas crutch" method and wrapped the brisket in foil to prevent it from drying out. Continued the cook with the foiled brisket at 225F for another 4hrs. Charcoal only as the foil wasn't going to allow for more smoke. At about 10hrs total time I checked the brisket for tenderness with a large fork, it was done. I let the brisket rest off the heat in foil and wrapped in a heavy towel for 45 minutes.

The brisket darned near fell apart when I carved it, almost like a good potroast. Very tender. I guess the foil method to finish cooking is the trick. Served with slaw and baked beans that also sat on the smoker for about 3.5 hrs. I can't get over how tender the brisket was. Leftovers are going to make for awesome sandwiches.

This was my first time cooking brisket and it came out fantastic. Very tender, nice smoke ring, and great bark. I don't know why I was a bit intimidated by it.

Because it's one of the most expensive and least forgiving cuts to smoke? ;)

Sounds like it turned out great. Maybe, I'll have to try it some time. Do you know what the final temperature that it reached was?

Archived