[OT] Anyone else smoke butts?

carpandean

Been smoking a pork "butt" (shoulder) all day. Got me wondering if anyone else here is into smoking meat (save the Chz jokes and keep this out the gutter.)

- Who's got a smoker?

- What do you like to smoke?

- Any good techniques?

- Any good recipes?

- Pics?

I've got an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) with a Stoker control box and blower. The WSM is pure genius, especially when you look at the history of how it was made.

Today, I'm using a hybrid coffee/paprika rub:

4 tbsp sweet paprika

4 tbsp coffee grounds

4 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp sea salt (fine)

2 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

and I've spritzed it with an 8:1 cider/cider vinegar mix. Cooking over lump charcoal with chunks of cherry and apple wood. It's edible already (over 165F), but I'm trying to get it over 190F by 5pm, so that I can break it up easily for dinner.

Been smoking a pork "butt" (shoulder) all day. Got me wondering if anyone else here is into smoking meat (save the Chz jokes and keep this out the gutter.)

- Who's got a smoker?

- Any good techniques?

- Any good recipes?

- Pics?

I've got an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) with a Stoker control box and blower. The WSM is pure genius, especially when you look at the history of how it was made.

4 tbsp sweet paprika

4 tbsp coffee grounds

4 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp sea salt (fine)

2 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

and I've spritzed it with an 8:1 cider/cider vinegar mix. Cooking over lump charcoal with chunks of cherry and apple wood. It's edible already (over 165F), but I'm trying to get it over 190F by 5pm, so that I can break it up easily for dinner.

What's your address?

- Who's got a smoker?

- Any good techniques?

- Any good recipes?

- Pics?

4 tbsp sweet paprika

4 tbsp coffee grounds

4 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp sea salt (fine)

2 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

All I can say is that I'm very jealous. And suddenly hungry.

Nice. I'm a Weber Smokey mountain owner as well and I probably smoke pork butt more than anything else, ribs are probably a close second. I haven't had much luck with beef brisket the few times I've tried, it turns out too dry. I've alder wood somoked some salmon a bunch of times too. Here is my go to pork butt recipe from the weber smoker forums:

The Renowned Mr. Brown

I've been looking to get a Big Green Egg ceramic cooker lately but it's just a bit too pricey for me when considering how little time I usually have to cook these days.

Nice. I'm a Weber Smokey mountain owner as well and I probably smoke pork butt more than anything else, ribs are probably a close second. I haven't had much luck with beef brisket the few times I've tried, it turns out too dry. I've alder wood somoked some salmon a bunch of times too. Here is my go to pork butt recipe from the weber smoker forums:

The Renowned Mr. Brown

I've been looking to get a Big Green Egg ceramic cooker lately but it's just a bit too pricey for me when considering how little time I usually have to cook these days.

I've always wanted a Green Egg and have avoided it for the same two reasons you have.

I have a brinkmann offset barrel smoker. I only use it 3-4 times per year but when I do it has the room to really load it up. Two weekends ago I smoked a pork shoulder, beef shoulder, and 2 roaster chickens. I'm probably good on barbeque until late August.

I have a 14 lb packer cut brisket in the freezer waiting for Labor Day weekend. Yeah, the party will include lots of homebrew. And if you have to ask you probably aren't invited :;)

I also smoke turkeys and spare ribs. I'm pretty arrogant about my ribs. You'll find places that make em just as good but you won't find any that make em better !!!

I'm on my mobile right now so I'll try to post up some recipes later.

What's your address?

99 Court Street

(OK, you won't find me there, but you won't be totally disappointed by what you do find.)

The Renowned Mr. Brown

If it weren't for the location, I'd swear that you're my friend Scott. He's got a WSM, too, and has been drooling over a BGE.

I'll be changing the thread title to

"All About Carp's Butt"

I'm just happy you're thinking about my butt. B-)

I have a 14 lb packer cut brisket in the freezer waiting for Labor Day weekend.

Holy s**t. How much did that piece of meat set you back?

I also smoke turkeys and spare ribs. I'm pretty arrogant about my ribs. You'll find places that make em just as good but you won't find any that make em better !!!

Ribs and pulled pork are probably the easiest two things to develop a good signature style that's as good or better than any restaurant's.

OK, here's my basic, good-for-everything rub. It is especially tasty on pulled pork and ribs but isn't out of place on beef or poultry. It is a hybrid of Carolina and Texas style rubs.

First off, you need to obtain some good chili powder. Don't go to the grocery store and buy McCormick's or other general "chili powders", they are mostly paprika and won't give you enough flavor. Either grind your own chili pods or buy the ground chile's. I grind my own powders as I need them so they are fresh and strong. My chili powder is simple, equal parts ground pasilla pepper, ancho pepper, and chipotle pepper. Pasillas are mild and have a rich earthy flavor, Anchos are a touch spicy and very flavorful, and chipotles are smoky and have a nice spicy bite. Together they make an awesome chili powder that is intense and flavorful. My local grocery store carries all 3 varieties as dried pods. I believe Wegman's does as well. I bought an inexpensive coffe grinder that I use solely for grinding spices. It's quick and effective.

Weave's All Pupose Rub

1 part sweet paprika

1 part brown sugar

1 part weave's chili powder

1/2 part kosher salt

1/4 part ground cumin

1/4 part onion powder

1/4 part garlic powder

1/4 part black pepper

1/4 part dried oregano

mix thoroughly and liberally apply to a big hunk o meat and let it marinate in the rub for several hours before sending it off to the fire. At the beginning of Summer I make a BIG batch of this rub and put it in a Tupperware container so I have it on hand, ready made fro 'queing day.

And here's my trick to awesome homemade barbeque sauce. Add 1 TBLS of rub to the sauce base and it will add another layer of flavor to the rub yuou applied to the meat. The spices take on a different character when they are cooked so you'll end up with cooked spice flavors from the rub and fresher flavors from the sauce. My sauce is simple but I can't give exact measurements because I eyeball it when I make it. I guess start with the measurements here but they may need adjustments. Taste it to make sure it is right before you call it done.

Weave's Basic Barbeque Sauce

One 16oz can of plain tomato sauce

The juice from 1/2 of a lime

a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce (soy suace is a good sub too)

1/4 cup good honey (more or less depending on how sweet you like your sauce)

1 heaping TBLS of Weave's All Purpose Rub

1 TBLS plain yellow mustard

1 small onion, diced

1 bell pepper, diced

2 cloves of garlic, minced

Saute the onion, pepper, garlic in a little veggie oil until soft and translucent. Add the tomato sauce and crank up the heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until it reaches a nice thick bottled sauce consistency (maybe 20 minutes?)and apply to meat 20 minutes before removing from the smoker.

I say go for it. It would be the sequel to Human Centipede. You amputate one of my appendages, smoke it, then make me eat it to survive. Indie winner.

I suppose you're the caboose in this little fantasy of yours?

Hey Carp, where do you get your wood? *snicker*

Every October we head up to the apple orchards along Lake Ontario. I've found a couple farmers that are willing to sell me their orchard trimmings. Last year I bought about 1/2 face cord worth of apple and pear for $25. It is large limb and trunk wood from an orchard that got cut down (old non-producing trees). Most years I can get something closer to a garbage can full of limb wood from the orchards.

I'm thinking of buying a smoker in the near future. Right now I'm salt curing REAL Canadian bacon in my frig and my neighbors here in Phoenix love it when I bring the "peameal" bacon to neighborhood gatherings so they can make their sandwiches.

Hey Carp, where do you get your wood? *snicker*

Pics of Ch ... oh, wood wood. You're definitely further along in your smoking career than I am, so I haven't gone to sourcing wood yet. I'm just getting into making my own rubs and sauces, but my wood is still ... :bag: ... store bought. I'll definitely keep the orchards in mind when I take that next step.

Your rub and sauce ideas look pretty darn good. I'll have to try that trick next time.

Unfortunately, today, I wasn't going to reach temp in time, so I had to wrap the butt in foil with some apple juice and crank the WSM up to 300F. It was a perfect 195 when I pulled it off, but it didn't do the bark any favors. Still tasted good in the end, but you could tell the difference. Oh well, live and learn. Shoulder meats cheap enough to use the old "try and try again" model.

I'm thinking of buying a smoker in the near future.

I highly recommend the WSM when you do. It's great to learn on, but good enough that competition smokers use them, too. Plus, it has such a huge cult following that there's all kinds of great information and ideas for mods out there. Check out The Virtual Weber Bullet, for example.

Baby back ribs this weekend, most likely on Sunday (gonna be hot and sunny!!!). I've got 3 racks thawing. Probably do two with the rub I posted in this thread. Gonna play with the third rack. I'm thinking Indian curry spices and a mango chutney inspired sauce.

Haven't made homemade mac-n-cheese in ages. I should add that to the menu.

Baby back ribs this weekend, most likely on Sunday (gonna be hot and sunny!!!). I've got 3 racks thawing. Probably do two with the rub I posted in this thread. Gonna play with the third rack. I'm thinking Indian curry spices and a mango chutney inspired sauce.

Haven't made homemade mac-n-cheese in ages. I should add that to the menu.

For some reason this instantly made me think of Total Recall.

Archived