[OT] Anyone else smoke butts?

carpandean

Because it's one of the most expensive and least forgiving cuts to smoke? ;)

Sounds like it turned out great. Maybe, I'll have to try it some time. Do you know what the final temperature that it reached was?

195F

It was weird. Internal temp kind of stalled at 150F for what seemed like forever then all of a sudden it shot up to 185-190F and then took a long time to get to 195F.

I suspect that if I'd not foiled it it would have been dry.

In the spirit of "pics or it didn't happen" I give you a montage of beef back ribs cooked low and slow (about 6hrs at 250F). Just salt, pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning, and a good hearty dose of pear wood. Served with home made mac-n-cheese and those lovely, cheesy, bacon-y atomic buffalo turds (jalapenos are a vegetable, right?).

This was a first time for me. They came out very well. Brisket-y flavor with a texture closer to pork ribs. I'd definitely make these again.

post-2557-001383900 1315145116_thumb.jpg

post-2557-066400000 1315145148_thumb.jpg

Damn, Weave, those look delicious!

I'll second that.

Thanks.

At the risk of speaking for someone else, judging by the carnage of cleaned bones that was left behind, I'm pretty sure our guests felt they tasted as good as they looked.

I couldn't get a pic that gave the bright red smoke ring justice. I used my Balckberry for the shots and the indoor lighting wasn't good enough to pick it up, but they had the brightest red smoke ring I've ever put on a piece of meat. But the pear wood is real subtle so the flavor wasn't in your face like you can sometimes get with hickory, oak, or mesquite.

weave, it looks like you are going to be as busy as you want to be:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/09/06/2011-09-06_upstate_boars_runnin_hog_wild.html

Do these make for good eats?

I think Discovery or History channel ran a series a few months ago called something along the lines of Hogs Gone Wild. I guess they are a problem in most states now.

I'm told young ones make for good eating but the older ones are tough as nails. I hunt. If I see a wild hog when I'm out deer hunting I'll knock it down and give a report as to their deliciousness. :blush:

I think Discovery or History channel ran a series a few months ago called something along the lines of Hogs Gone Wild. I guess they are a problem in most states now.

I'm told young ones make for good eating but the older ones are tough as nails. I hunt. If I see a wild hog when I'm out deer hunting I'll knock it down and give a report as to their deliciousness. :blush:

The young ones are definitely edible, but still taste nothing like domestic pork. Put anything over smoke for 8 hours and it will taste pretty damn fine :thumbsup:

On a serious note, have you tried smoking any venison? I would think it wouldn't lend itself well to BBQ, but am always interested in hearing about others experiences

The young ones are definitely edible, but still taste nothing like domestic pork. Put anything over smoke for 8 hours and it will taste pretty damn fine :thumbsup:

On a serious note, have you tried smoking any venison? I would think it wouldn't lend itself well to BBQ, but am always interested in hearing about others experiences

I haven't smoked venison. The shoulder and ham roasts usually end up braising in a dutch oven in my household. The rest ends up steaks and chops for the grill or ground for sausage. I would imagine the shoulder roast especially would turn out nice on a smoker. Problem is, those cuts never last in the freezer long enough for smoker season (Spring/Summer) to be in play.

Between my son and I we've got 6 tags this year. If we fill even half of them I'll have to seriously consider a smoked venison experiment.

I haven't smoked venison. The shoulder and ham roasts usually end up braising in a dutch oven in my household. The rest ends up steaks and chops for the grill or ground for sausage. I would imagine the shoulder roast especially would turn out nice on a smoker. Problem is, those cuts never last in the freezer long enough for smoker season (Spring/Summer) to be in play.

Between my son and I we've got 6 tags this year. If we fill even half of them I'll have to seriously consider a smoked venison experiment.

My wife is not a big fan of venison, so we get steaks, stew chunks and a lot of sausage. If there is enough meat, love the venison jerky. My kids would be happy if we turned the whole deer into jerky. The tenderloins don't make it home from deer camp, and sometimes the backstraps don't, either.

I would be fearful of putting a venison roast in the smoker - venison is so damn lean - it must be awfully hard to keep it from drying out.

Korab, brisket is extremely lean too. I think if you smoked venison for 2-3 hrs then wrapped it in foil to finish cooking it would be ok.

And you can always wrap it in bacon!!!

I know, and every time I get brisket somewhere it is always dry. Haven't dared mess with a brisket yet. I am a newb to smoking, and stick with nice fat meats for now. I am an expert at the all day drinking that goes along with smoking, though!

I know, and every time I get brisket somewhere it is always dry. Haven't dared mess with a brisket yet. I am a newb to smoking, and stick with nice fat meats for now. I am an expert at the all day drinking that goes along with smoking, though!

Learning to administer an all day buzz maintenance program is key to successful barbeque. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

No t really a smoking story..but just grilled my first whole fish last night. Had three 1 lb whole Branzino, simply rubbed the inside with a light coating of olive oil, stuffed with lemon slices and fresh rosemary and thyme, rubbed the outside with olive oil and aslt and pepper. 450 on the egg..7 minutes each side..wowzer was it ever great. Crisp, grilled skin, awesome juicy meat...what a great way to do fish on the grill.

On a side note..will have the brisket a running this Sunday..Weave gunna try your method

No t really a smoking story..but just grilled my first whole fish last night. Had three 1 lb whole Branzino, simply rubbed the inside with a light coating of olive oil, stuffed with lemon slices and fresh rosemary and thyme, rubbed the outside with olive oil and aslt and pepper. 450 on the egg..7 minutes each side..wowzer was it ever great. Crisp, grilled skin, awesome juicy meat...what a great way to do fish on the grill.

On a side note..will have the brisket a running this Sunday..Weave gunna try your method

What in the heck is branzino? Never heard of it.

Lemme know how the brisket turns out. Good luck. And watch the brisket closely. From what I gather, timing is everything if you don't want a dried out piece of meat.

Eurotrash fish? Whatinthehell is wrong with good ole 'Merican sea bass? :P :lol:

Never heard that name before. If it is anything like sea bass found around our shores it probably grilled up nice.

LOl..while not a tree hugger by any stretch..these fish are farmed and sustainable..which i like. While this article is old, a good read.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/raised-on-the-farm-big-in-the-city/

And yes..i have had out many times before trying this at home. That whole fish always looked intimidating..now i know I will not be wasting my money.

BTW, my next fish done this way will be a nice Bay caught Rockfish(or as most knuckleheads call em a striper)

Eurotrash fish? Whatinthehell is wrong with good ole 'Merican sea bass? :P :lol:

Never heard that name before. If it is anything like sea bass found around our shores it probably grilled up nice.

Similar to chilean sea bass? If so, I am sure it is quite delicious. Not a fan of fish trucked across the ocean, though. I prefer fresh, never frozen.

Give me cedar plank grilled salmon with a brown sugar, black pepper, savory/cumin, garlic powder topping. MMMmmmm!

Similar to chilean sea bass? If so, I am sure it is quite delicious. Not a fan of fish trucked across the ocean, though. I prefer fresh, never frozen.

Give me cedar plank grilled salmon with a brown sugar, black pepper, savory/cumin, garlic powder topping. MMMmmmm!

Not to go all crazy here..but chilean Sea Bass is not realy a bass, just a made up name for marketing purposes about a decade ago. The real name was the Pantagonian Toothfish..but that did not sell so well LOl. Severerly overfished..and at $26/lb at my fish monger..no thanks.

The Branzino is fresh..not sure how it gets here..and certainly not as fresh as something aught in the Bay or the Atlantic for me being in Richmond..but i always poke, smell, and look at the eyes before buying

Not to go all crazy here..but chilean Sea Bass is not realy a bass, just a made up name for marketing purposes about a decade ago. The real name was the Pantagonian Toothfish..but that did not sell so well LOl. Severerly overfished..and at $26/lb at my fish monger..no thanks.

The Branzino is fresh..not sure how it gets here..and certainly not as fresh as something aught in the Bay or the Atlantic for me being in Richmond..but i always poke, smell, and look at the eyes before buying

Aware of the history of the patagonian tooth fish. Ugly mofo. We had a thread about it on here once. Damn tasty though. That was a fish with a public image problem.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about McDonald's and Budweiser. Quit threadjacking.

Aware of the history of the patagonian tooth fish. Ugly mofo. We had a thread about it on here once. Damn tasty though. That was a fish with a public image problem.

What a great marketing campaign. Taking a fish that probably was sold for cat food to a top selling fish.

Archived