The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Doing that while at the same time antagonizing those same obnoxious fans through scoreboard antics and prick-ish staff and ushers always seemed contradictory and bush league to me

You'll get no argument from me on that one. It has been bad at times, to the point where some Canes fans wouldn't attend the Sabres games. I have done my level best to urge those fans to suck it up and go, but like you said, it is what it is.

Back to beer. I haven't had one this week. I'm trying to lay off and lose some weight. I have put on about 30 lbs of beer belly in the last few years and it's time to do something about it. Several a night over time will do that. Game days will be a different story. I'll be picking up some good seasonal beer for Friday.

You'll get no argument from me on that one. It has been bad at times, to the point where some Canes fans wouldn't attend the Sabres games. I have done my level best to urge those fans to suck it up and go, but like you said, it is what it is.

Back to beer. I haven't had one this week. I'm trying to lay off and lose some weight. I have put on about 30 lbs of beer belly in the last few years and it's time to do something about it. Several a night over time will do that. Game days will be a different story. I'll be picking up some good seasonal beer for Friday.

It makes a differrence. I went on the wagon for the whole month of August save one weekend when I had an out of town wedding. Pretty much no beer and eating sensibly for one month and I lost 18 lbs. I'm drinking beer again, but not nearly as much as I was before and I'm down 25 lbs at the almost two month mark.

It makes a differrence. I went on the wagon for the whole month of August save one weekend when I had an out of town wedding. Pretty much no beer and eating sensibly for one month and I lost 18 lbs. I'm drinking beer again, but not nearly as much as I was before and I'm down 25 lbs at the almost two month mark.

That's promising. It's hard when I really do enjoy a few beers.

That's promising. It's hard when I really do enjoy a few beers.

The first few days are tough, but after a few more I start to lose the craving. I've decided that I'm no longer keeping beer in the house. I'll have some when I'm out for a "special" occaision (like, "It's Thursday!"), but there's no good reason to have it at home.

I probably spoke poorly. There's no good reason to have it at home in light of trying to lose weight and drink less. :) There are plenty of good reasons to have beer at home. Working in the garage, for instance.

When I found myself drinking too much and switched to Labatt 52 just enough beer taste and only 2.2% alcohol.

I get in trouble at the house when I'm out in the garage working on the cars, or sometimes when the weather is beautiful this time of the year, just sitting and reading a book. The beer fridge is in the garage. I guess simply having something that you call a beer fridge may be a sign.

This is day 5 of no beer. Daddy wants a beer, but daddy looks a lot like Homer these days.

simpsons_beer_temporary.jpg

I get in trouble at the house when I'm out in the garage working on the cars, or sometimes when the weather is beautiful this time of the year, just sitting and reading a book. The beer fridge is in the garage. I guess simply having something that you call a beer fridge may be a sign.

This is day 5 of no beer. Daddy wants a beer, but daddy looks a lot like Homer these days.

simpsons_beer_temporary.jpg

My former beer fridge is out in the garage, but I haven't used it in quite awhile. It's covered with Sabres stickers and magnets, FWIW. It used to live at the end of my couch.

I have a beer fridge in my garage with two taps of homebrew going constantly. This is dangerous. I'm not ready to give up my homebrew yet, so my solutions are:

1.) only have 6 oz. juice glasses available next to the fridge so I'm never able to pour a full pint.

2.) only brew session type beers in the 5% and under range. No more imperial stouts or double IPA's on tap for me.

I have a beer fridge in my garage with two taps of homebrew going constantly. This is dangerous. I'm not ready to give up my homebrew yet, so my solutions are:

1.) only have 6 oz. juice glasses available next to the fridge so I'm never able to pour a full pint.

2.) only brew session type beers in the 5% and under range. No more imperial stouts or double IPA's on tap for me.

I gained over 40lbs after taking up the hobby. I've got 2 taps in the family room and another tap in the basement. I had to give up homebrewing because I couldn't control the temptation. No beer on tap = Weave doesn't pour a glass every time he walks by.

I gained over 40lbs after taking up the hobby. I've got 2 taps in the family room and another tap in the basement. I had to give up homebrewing because I couldn't control the temptation. No beer on tap = Weave doesn't pour a glass every time he walks by.

It's unbelievably tempting, especially after a long day at work...there is the fridge begging me to open the tap before I even walk in the door. However, I'm prepared to give up the taps eventually if need be. I'm trying this route for now and as long as I keep taking pounds off and the doc check ups go ok I'll hope for the best.

My former beer fridge is out in the garage, but I haven't used it in quite awhile. It's covered with Sabres stickers and magnets, FWIW. It used to live at the end of my couch.

Funny, mine has Canes stickers and magnets on it.

I really have thought about doing the home brew thing.

Edited by superdave

• 2 weeks later...

Short pours. A pet peeve of mine. Michigan may be doing something about it.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/07/new-bill-would-ensure-all-pints-of-beer-are-really-16-ounces/

Two Michigan representatives are raising their glasses to a bill that would make it an “offense” to serve or advertise a pint that contains fewer than 16 ounces of beer, The Detroit Free-Press reports.

If you are advertising a pint of beer I expect to get 16oz., not 14oz and 2oz of head. And those 14oz glasses with thick bottoms that look like pints are uncool.

Short pours. A pet peeve of mine. Michigan may be doing something about it.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/07/new-bill-would-ensure-all-pints-of-beer-are-really-16-ounces/

If you are advertising a pint of beer I expect to get 16oz., not 14oz and 2oz of head. And those 14oz glasses with thick bottoms that look like pints are uncool.

Place by the fnc says a pint that's only 12oz. Bullspit

Not sure I'm on board with idea of legislating against head on a beer.

For me, it's the sign of a great establishment if I can get a decent head on a good (non-macro) beer. Not to het all wine-y about it (I'm the one who railed against that upthread), but that fizzy foam is a nice part of the beer's taste profile. You take a good snuff of the aromatics in that suspended cloud of air, and it influences your enjoyment of the entire glass.

For my mooney, I'm actually slightly annoyed when I get a shaker glass filled to the lip with an apparently under-carbonated beer-experience. Among other things, it's a tell that the tavern washes its glassware improperly (i.e., uses an agent that destroys the natural head).

All of that said, it may be that the short-pour legislation is aimed at situations where taverns are engaged in acts of consumer deception. I'd just hate to see a place like Blue Monk -- where I might pay $7 for 14 oz. of something funky with a generous head on it -- caught up in this sort of thing.

Not sure I'm on board with idea of legislating against head on a beer.

For me, it's the sign of a great establishment if I can get a decent head on a good (non-macro) beer. Not to het all wine-y about it (I'm the one who railed against that upthread), but that fizzy foam is a nice part of the beer's taste profile. You take a good snuff of the aromatics in that suspended cloud of air, and it influences your enjoyment of the entire glass.

For my mooney, I'm actually slightly annoyed when I get a shaker glass filled to the lip with an apparently under-carbonated beer-experience. Among other things, it's a tell that the tavern washes its glassware improperly (i.e., uses an agent that destroys the natural head).

All of that said, it may be that the short-pour legislation is aimed at situations where taverns are engaged in acts of consumer deception. I'd just hate to see a place like Blue Monk -- where I might pay $7 for 14 oz. of something funky with a generous head on it -- caught up in this sort of thing.

The idea is, if you are buying a pint, you are buying 16oz of liquid. A properly poured pint will have a head, But it will be served in a glass that holds 16oz of liquid and have room for foam.

A pint is a defined measure. If you aren't serving your customers a full 16oz then don't represent your serving as a pint.

Having said this, I am not fond of it being law. But I'd love to see real pressure from the public to keep bars and restaurants honest about their pours.

Shaker glasses blow anyway. Use a nice 20oz imperial pint glass, fill it with 16oz and plenty of head. Who doesn't need that?

Of course I don't mind a 16oz glass with some head if the pricing of the beer is adjusted accordingly.

The idea is, if you are buying a pint, you are buying 16oz of liquid. A properly poured pint will have a head, But it will be served in a glass that holds 16oz of liquid and have room for foam.
Shaker glasses blow anyway. Use a nice 20oz imperial pint glass, fill it with 16oz and plenty of head.

excellent points, and ones i should've inferred were being made implicitly (given who was posting).

good glassware did change (vastly improve) the way i enjoy really good beer. my personal favorite (at home) is one from a random assortment (4 in all) of tulip glasses i've collected (one's actually more of a snifter, i guess). the tulips work splendidly for any variety, but especially porters and stouts.

A pint is a defined measure. If you aren't serving your customers a full 16oz then don't represent your serving as a pint.

Having said this, I am not fond of it being law. But I'd love to see real pressure from the public to keep bars and restaurants honest about their pours.

I am fairly certain this is a law in the UK..only full and half pints are served.

BTW, been drinking some beers from Boulevard in Kansas City i think. Nice Saison , Tank 7 and a 80 Acre,,a hoppy wheat beer. Really enjoying them both

I am fairly certain this is a law in the UK..only full and half pints are served.

BTW, been drinking some beers from Boulevard in Kansas City i think. Nice Saison , Tank 7 and a 80 Acre,,a hoppy wheat beer. Really enjoying them both

It was last time I was there (2008). There's a stamp on the glass and it's illegal to fill it to less than that line. Seems like that's not as true as it once was though. Canada has a law as well, but it's not enforced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.