Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

that might be too much to ask for maybe we can trade timmy, kaleta, boyes and someone else to TB and sign Richards as well. Hey with TP dreams become reality!!!!!

Why? He's 21, a 90 point/year player, and a former 1st overall pick. He's exactly the type of franchise player you'd break the bank for. I'd definitely trade 4 first round picks for him and I'd definitely pay him. Why not take a shot?

This is almost too good to be true...I can't wait for tomorrow and free-agent frenzy. Players will now WANT to come to Buffalo and play for the Sabres!!!!!!! And for anyone who will complain about the length of this contract, don't worry cause Pegula will just it out when the mood strikes him. Gotta wonder if Richards is next?

Why? He's 21, a 90 point/year player, and a former 1st overall pick. He's exactly the type of franchise player you'd break the bank for. I'd definitely trade 4 first round picks for him and I'd definitely pay him. Why not take a shot?

Even if they offered 20 years 240 million(max$$$, idk max length) you don't think TB is matching?

This is almost too good to be true...I can't wait for tomorrow and free-agent frenzy. Players will now WANT to come to Buffalo and play for the Sabres!!!!!!! And for anyone who will complain about the length of this contract, don't worry cause Pegula will just it out when the mood strikes him. Gotta wonder if Richards is next?

They best thing about these moves is the fact that we can look forward to these types of player acquisitions over the next 25-30 years.

Anyone following live feed? Much of the Hockey universe is calling this an illegal circumventing of the cap ala Kovalchuk. Can't help that the PA has bigger teeth than Gary's office. The best part about this contract is we just played hardball like the big boys. Some bitter people out there.

I can't imagine more than two or three acquisitions with only one being af the "star" variety.

I'm a bit concerned that this may be cap circumvention. But, whatever, I don't care. This is amazing!!!!! I don't like the term, but I love the cap hit! This is a fantastic deal. The Sabres have gone out and gotten Regehr to waive his NMC and signed Ehrhoff to a 10 year deal to be with the Sabres at only a $4 million cap hit. LOVE IT!!!!!

I think Darcy put the structure of this deal in place, but this absolutely smells of Pegula playing with the big boys. I can't believe I'm a Sabres fan. It's like we are the Red Wings or Flyers. This is so much fun.

Anyone following live feed? Much of the Hockey universe is calling this an illegal circumventing of the cap ala Kovalchuk. Can't help that the PA has bigger teeth than Gary's office. The best part about this contract is we just played hardball like the big boys. Some bitter people out there.

This very specifically follows the salary cap rules set forth by the league after the kovalchuk debacle. No years after he turns 40 and the 36-39 year old rule only applies to contracts that average more than $5.75M. And those rules were part of a legally binding settlement, so there is nothing anyone can do.

I'm a bit concerned that this may be cap circumvention. But, whatever, I don't care. This is amazing!!!!! I don't like the term, but I love the cap hit! This is a fantastic deal. The Sabres have gone out and gotten Regehr to waive his NMC and signed Ehrhoff to a 10 year deal to be with the Sabres at only a $4 million cap hit. LOVE IT!!!!!

I think Darcy put the structure of this deal in place, but this absolutely smells of Pegula playing with the big boys. I can't believe I'm a Sabres fan. It's like we are the Red Wings or Flyers. This is so much fun.

Why? It's within the confines of the current cap rules, both in numbers and years.

This very specifically follows the salary cap rules set forth by the league after the kovalchuk debacle. No years after he turns 40 and the 36-39 year old rule only applies to contracts that average more than $5.75M. And those rules were part of a legally binding settlement, so there is nothing anyone can do.

I fully agree,but I think it makes people realize that the settlement was hollow, the NHL did very little to avoid the perception of cap circumvention. And as Carp has eluded to for a Richards deal, no reason we couldn't establish a similar front-loaded contract.

I had to laugh, one tweet said 'that contract is so front-loaded it has a hemi.'

Per Bob McKenzie at TSN:

Year 1 = $8 mil. signing bonus + $2 mil. salary

Year 2 = $5 mil. signing bonus + $3 mil. salary

Year 3-6 = $4 mil. salary

Year 7 = $3 mil. salary

Year 8-10 = $1 mil. salary

(obviously, the controversy is over the last 3 years...)

Cap hit = $4 mil. per year

Not without decimating their team. If they match, they're going to have to dump a couple of big salaries.

They have 18 million in cap space. They have some RFA's but if things get too hairy for them, they can unload Malone (who is already rumored as shopped), and if they have to move LeCavalier. They could get a a nice package of young players to fill out their roster.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=567901&navid=mod-rr-headlines

Has ANYONE ever said that about the Bills OR Sabres.... EVER?

I've never been this excited about an upcoming season in my life .... this is GREAT.

Archived