Are we now in cap trouble?

JohnRobertEichel

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2012

This site has us at only 3.5 million under the cap with plenty of RFA's still to sign. It looks up to date since they added Regehr and Kotalik...

Plenty of dead weight on the roster, too. Boyes ($4 mil), Kotalik ($3 mil), and Morrisonn ($2 mil) are an easy $9 million right there. The good news is that these guys only have 1 year left on their contracts.

Am I missing something? I must be because I can't imagine the Sabres would be this fiscally irresponsible.

$12.5 million in space with 15 players signed atleast for this season.

RFA's yet to be signed:

Enroth

Gerbe

Weber

Sekera

Gragnani

I think it's a safe bet Pegula, Black, Regier and company are not done in the trade market, plus I'm going to just guess, but I'll say they are in the Brad Richards sweeps come July 1st as well.

We have the time and space to improve this roster this off season, and remember, during the off season they can exceed the cap by 10%. So I think we are just kicking off this show.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=8

This site has us at only 3.5 million under the cap with plenty of RFA's still to sign. It looks up to date since they added Regehr and Kotalik...

Plenty of dead weight on the roster, too. Boyes ($4 mil), Kotalik ($3 mil), and Morrisonn ($2 mil) are an easy $9 million right there. The good news is that these guys only have 1 year left on their contracts.

Am I missing something? I must be because I can't imagine the Sabres would be this fiscally irresponsible.

Fiscally irresponsible...haha. The mere thought of this team being so tickles me.

I could be wrong but I don't think that reflects the new salary cap (64.x mil), and you're right -- Kotalik and Morrisonn will likely be in the minors and not count against our cap.

Correct.

RFA's yet to be signed:

Enroth

Gerbe

Weber

Sekera

Gragnani

I think it's a safe bet Pegula, Black, Regier and company are not done in the trade market, plus I'm going to just guess, but I'll say they are in the Brad Richards sweeps come July 1st as well.

We have the time and space to improve this roster this off season, and remember, during the off season they can exceed the cap by 10%. So I think we are just kicking off this show.

Exactly. With the 10% cushion until the start of the season, there is no reason to fret. They can probably get their RFA's signed for 5-6 million. With players like Kotalik, Morrisson, and maybe Hecht all possiblities to go to the minors, freeing up another 9 million or so. So it's possible the Sabres could still drop another 8 million on Free Agents or a player acquired in a trade and that's without considering any salary moving out.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2012

Buffalo is fine right now...they can spend up to around 70 million before trimming the roster.

I'm pretty sure Kotalik and Morrison will still count against our cap, even if they end up in Rochester.

Only in the off-season.

Once they get officially sent to Ra-cha-cha and the regular season begins they drop off the (salary cap) books.

I believe while in Calgary Kotalik has said that he would not go to the minors.

Well, if they decide to send him down and he refuses to go, then he's off the books and the Sabres don't have to pay him.

If he requests assignment to a Euro team and the Sabres grant the request, then he's off the books and the Sabres don't have to pay him.

If he plays in Ra-cha-cha, he's off the salary cap though the Sabres do have to pay him.

Because TP currently doesn't fret over a few (million) $'s, Kotalik's salary is a complete non-issue (unless the team tries to sign a $10MM/year UFA in which case they could be bumping up against the off-season cap).

RFA's yet to be signed:

Enroth

Gerbe

Weber

Sekera

Gragnani

If we get Richards, I can see it being for a lot of money up front, and a 1-2 years deal.

Everybody hatin on the Boyes this summer.

I love boys

If we get Richards, I can see it being for a lot of money up front, and a 1-2 years deal.

With all the demand, I don't see Richards settling for anything less than a lifetime contract, which for him would be 7-8 years. Plus it will be heavily front loaded, like Kovalchuk's, probably for near 10 million a season.

Signing a player with a concussion issue who's name isn't Crosby would be a very risky thing to do financially. It would in all probability lead to cap problems down the road. I don't think any of us want to be the Blackhawks...win the Cup and then have to dismantle the team the very next year.

So I'm assuming for those reasons we're out of the Richards Derby. As has been stated by others and researched by myself, there are few options available, even by trade since the top centers are coveted by their respected teams. Thus we may have to wait a while before anything significant breaks on the center front.

So I'm assuming for those reasons we're out of the Richards Derby. As has been stated by others and researched by myself, there are few options available, even by trade since the top centers are coveted by their respected teams.

i'm alright with this. we just watched the bruins win a cup with less than top tier talent up the middle, which feels like the first time in history that's happened (i'm sure it isn't, it just feels like it). heck, their #1 center (savard) didn't even play (or contribute much at all this past season). it can be done, and there are capable alternatives to richards. he'd make a fine addition, but not at the amount of money some team (rags) is going to throw at him, and thereby handicap the rest of the roster.

I'm pretty sure Kotalik and Morrison will still count against our cap, even if they end up in Rochester.

Only players with a contract that kicked in after they were 35 years old count against the cap if sent to the minors.

i'm alright with this. we just watched the bruins win a cup with less than top tier talent up the middle, which feels like the first time in history that's happened (i'm sure it isn't, it just feels like it). heck, their #1 center (savard) didn't even play (or contribute much at all this past season). it can be done, and there are capable alternatives to richards. he'd make a fine addition, but not at the amount of money some team (rags) is going to throw at him, and thereby handicap the rest of the roster.

They may not have any elite centers, but they do have a ridiculous abundance of depth down the middle. That's what we need to start moving towards in this offseason.

They may not have any elite centers, but they do have a ridiculous abundance of depth down the middle. That's what we need to start moving towards in this offseason.

agreed. just not a glaring need for any single piece to cost $7mil/yr. or more.

Archived