Ten Players Per Week

Eleven

Last year's "A Player Per Day" surveys were fun, but really time consuming, and I need to focus on a few other things right now. So I've found a site that will let me conduct a free survey, ten questions at a time.

The choices are the same as last year; for each player:

5: Must keep under any circumstances.

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

You can comment in the survey or here. It's probably more fun to comment here, and I'm not sure if the in-survey comments are viewable by survey-takers.

And week 1 is HERE: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F95NQKV

Rats. I put my choices in but now I don't see any way to view the results. Am I doing something wrong?

I think you're doing it right. I'll post the results at the end of the poll; it closes next Sunday at 9 am. Unfortunately, there's no real-time feedback on that site. But it's a lot easier than the thirty-odd threads I started last year (and it clutters up the board a lot less, too).

OK. I'll jsut throw a couple random comments about my choices here then.

Montador. I like him. He's certainly serviceable. But I want his roster spot upgraded via free aganecy.

McCormick. Perfect 4th line guy. Big and tough enough to be an effective policeman. Holds his own as an actual hockey player. Chips in enough goals to be useful in ways other than physicality. And he's inexpensive. He's a keeper.

Connolly. It's time to move on. I would have been happy to see him go at the deadline for a draft pick. I wish we'd have chosen the pick instead of keeping him for the season.

Weber. He's a keeper. We need at least one more D man on our roster that plays his game. This guy is a Brooks Orpik in the making.

Enroth. I view him as an asset right about now. There are enough decent backup goalies in the UFA market that I wouldn't mind seeing him moved as part of a package to get a center. You have to give up quality to get quality and I think Enroth is a quality guy that has market value after the March he had up here. If he isn't valuable to move in a package for a center then he is certainly good enough to warrant hanging on to.

I agree with almost all of that, weave. Monty, well, if the Sabres have the luxury of addressing his roster spot after taking care of other needs, then by all means. But there are bigger priorities.

Montador. I like him. He's certainly serviceable. But I want his roster spot upgraded via free aganecy.

McCormick. Perfect 4th line guy. Big and tough enough to be an effective policeman. Holds his own as an actual hockey player. Chips in enough goals to be useful in ways other than physicality. And he's inexpensive. He's a keeper.

Connolly. It's time to move on. I would have been happy to see him go at the deadline for a draft pick. I wish we'd have chosen the pick instead of keeping him for the season.

Weber. He's a keeper. We need at least one more D man on our roster that plays his game. This guy is a Brooks Orpik in the making.

Enroth. I view him as an asset right about now. There are enough decent backup goalies in the UFA market that I wouldn't mind seeing him moved as part of a package to get a center. You have to give up quality to get quality and I think Enroth is a quality guy that has market value after the March he had up here. If he isn't valuable to move in a package for a center then he is certainly good enough to warrant hanging on to.

I agree with almost everything you have written and I think our scores are somewhat similar.

Montador: He was okay, but his playoffs were terrible. So, I'd be open to an upgrade over Montador.

Completely agree on McCormick and Connolly. With regard to Connolly, I'd be open to re-signing him for less money, but I would not be hurt in any way if left, and frankly, I think it's time for him to leave.

Agree on Weber. He's one of those where if you could trade him for a great return, you do it, but if not, he's a stud in the making and he should only be traded if it's in a package to get a #1 Center of the really top tier category, otherwise, not someone to trade.

Completely agree on Enroth. I think we scored Enroth the exact same. He's the type who could fetch a great return, and if not, he's good enough to be the backup next year.

I agree.

Cheap and aggressive and can play within the system. Nice player. and more responsible than Adam Mair.

There would have been no post-season without Connolly. But at the same time, time to replace him.

I actually don't think Weber gets much better than what we've seen. He's pretty good. But I don't think his trajectory goes much higher.

He's really improved his skating. But I think he's been playing at the higher end of his upside already.

Here's the thing. I don't think he gets very much return on the trade market. We value him because he's won. But no team is going to think he's their answer for the number one position, and there will be plenty of number 2 options available as UFA's that teams don't have to give up assets for.

Enroth - solid backup - wouldn't go out of my way to trade, definitely don't see anyone offering anything for his straight up that would be commensurate w/ his value to the Sabres, but if he's a necessary part of a package to upgrade wouldn't be happy but wouldn't nix the trade either. I am looking forward to seeing him backup Miller next year.

Leopold - veteran offensive defenseman, wouldn't go out of my way to trade him, like having him on the roster.

Montador - would be fine w/ him coming back as the #7 or #8. Would prefer to see him upgraded w/ a steadier vet in FA.

Weber - playing fairly well as a youngster. I see him ending up somewhere between a Boughner or a Warrener when he is more established. Considering the team has traditionally been short on blueline toughness I would prefer to see him stay. But if he is only a Boughner, he'd definitely be replaceable and even Warreners can be found, since we are still on the potential side w/ him, if he needs to be part of a package to upgrade, so be it.

McCormick - like his grit. He's an ideal 4th liner and can fill in on the 3rd line when necessary. Will do what the team asks of him and can chip in the odd point here or there. I don't see anyone forcing him into being the extra piece of a trade package, so keep him around.

Roy - My preference would be to see upgrades at center to get him to the point of #3 center. But he would work as #2. Could see him generating a lot of interest in trade market, but I don't see the Sabres trading him. If he'd be part of a package for a true #1 C, or if that is in the works via free agency or another deal and he could be part of a package for a true top pair D-man, wouldn't have a problem w/ him leaving. Hasn't seemed to make the players around him better, but for most of his time in the NHL he's been asked to play 1 line higher than he probably should.

Mancari - works well w/ Gerbe and Goose. I don't see the Sabres making a large effort to re-sign him as they are fairly well loaded at wing and there are some additional kids that will push for jobs in the near future. Basically this year's Mike Ryan.

Gragnani - did a nice job on the powerplay, moves the puck well, good vision. Fairly rough in his own end. Strikes me as a young Leopold. Would like to see what he could do in a full season in the NHL, but would not mind him being part of a trade package.

Connolly - don't think he's been as bad as people make him out to be. Probably best for the Sabres and him to part ways. I was very disappointed when he remained a Sabre at the trade deadline, but he was a big part of their making the final push to get in.

Niedermayer - wasn't brought in to score and he lived up to that. Played well in the playoffs. Would like to see this team retain some veteran presence, but I'd prefer it to be Grier. Would be mildly surprised to see him return, but would be more surprised to see no veteran presence other than Hecht & Leopold at all next year. (I could definitely see Monty, Morrisonn, Nieds, and Grier not fitting into the plans next year; but if that is the case, they'll bring it at least 2 other vets. This team is too young, IMHO.)

Gragnani is the only one on that list I'd have trouble trading for fair value.

That's because I saw enough to be worried his upside is worth a lot more than what you'd get for a small offensive defencemen who was at best a long shot prospect until dominating the A at age 24.

I love the effort of Monty and Nieds was good in the playoffs, but we need better players in those roles. Good-bye.

Timmy isn't as bad as he's made out out be, but his time here is done.

I'm fine with the others in their roles, but I'm also OK with trading any of them if the return is right.

A couple of months ago if you told me that we have to keep Mags and Weber at any cost I would have told you to stop drinking to much........But those guys are two of the brightest spots on this team........ :beer:

I agree that Weber and Mags are to be kept at a reasonable cost to the team. Does anyone know of Marc-Andre Gragnani contract status. I liked his play and his confidence with the puck. He played like a seasoned pro during the playoffs.

I agree that Weber and Mags are to be kept at a reasonable cost to the team. Does anyone know of Marc-Andre Gragnani contract status. I liked his play and his confidence with the puck. He played like a seasoned pro during the playoffs.

he's an RFA coming off a 500k contract. I'd assume a 10% raise and still a two way deal.

Enroth - 4 - Great back up, but you definitely move him if necessary to upgrade other positions.

Leopold - 3 - Over rated. Not strong in his own end. Will have a difficult time matching his offensive numbers. BUT - he is experienced and calm under pressure. He is what he is - should be bottom pairing and PP, not top 4. I would like to upgrade if possible. He is a 2.5

Monty - 2 - Too inconsistent to waste a roster spot. Not particularly good at any aspect of the game.

Weber - 4 - Jay McKee 2.0 Love his grit, wish a few other defensemen on the roster had it. Anyone willing to shove Cindy Crosby around and give her a face wash is a keeper in my book.

McCormick - 3 - Good role player, but he's a dime a dozen

Roy - 4 - Best bargain Darcy has managed to sign. Needs a top line center on the team so he doesn't have to try to be one. Lets hope he is finally maturing.

Mancari - 2 - Big and soft makes for a great couch but a bad hockey player.

Grags - 4 - The guy is a PPG D-man all season long in the AHL, and follows it up with a PPG in the NHL playoffs. Good bye Mr. Montador.

Connolly - 1 - Thank you, and good bye. If I see you laying face up in the gutter on Chippewah I will be sure to roll you over.

Nieds - 2 - Voted 2, but he's a 2.5. Is it possible not to resign him until the first week of April? He, or someone like him, is necessary for a legit cup run, but I would rather have Recchi at age 42 or Selanne at age 57 (or however old he is) than Nieds at age 36. I say we don't let him back into hockey heaven unless he brings his brother.

Sorry 'bout the delay, everyone. Had a little incident over the weekend and didn't get to update this. I'll have both the results of this poll and the new poll up over the weekend.

I knew it! Your Patrick Kane!

Again, I am VERY sorry for the length of time this has taken, and I'm concerned about the integrity of the poll for the next group because of the length of time that has passed. It's not deliberate; I had some emergency surgery (happy to still be with you all), and although I'm mostly recovered, there's a lot of make-up to do at work.

I'll leave the comments open for the next few days and will shut 'em down when I open the poll for the next group of players.

Anyway, here are the results--some surprising, some not so much (Connolly). And yeah, I have to manually type the results. The surveymonkey free program offers very little over our own interface here. It was easier to just use a calculator last year.

1. Enroth (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 21.9%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 62.5%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 15.6%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 0%

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes: 0%

Average: 4.06.

3. Leopold (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 3.1%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 45.3%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 45.3%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 6.3%

Average: 3.45.

4. Montador (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 0%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 6.3%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 62.5%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 28.1%

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes: 3.1%

Average: 2.72.

6. Weber (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 15.6%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 65.6%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 15.6%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 3.1%

Average: 3.94.

8. McCormick (N=62)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 9.7%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 48.4%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 37.1%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 4.8%

Average: 3.63.

9. Roy (N=63)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 12.7%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 58.7%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 23.8%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 4.8%

Average: 3.79.

12. Mancari (N=63)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 3.2%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 4.8%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 63.5%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 19.0%

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes: 9.5%

Average: 2.73.

17. Gragnani (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 34.4%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 51.6%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 14.1%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 0%

Average: 4.20

19. Connolly (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 1.6%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 0%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 9.4%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 39.1%

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes: 50%

Average: 1.64

20. Neidermayer (N=64)

5: Must keep under any circumstances: 0%

4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA): 17.2%

3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA): 37.5%

2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA): 34.4%

1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes: 10.9%

Average: 2.61.

Again, I am VERY sorry for the length of time this has taken, and I'm concerned about the integrity of the poll for the next group because of the length of time that has passed. It's not deliberate; I had some emergency surgery (happy to still be with you all), and although I'm mostly recovered, there's a lot of make-up to do at work.

I'll leave the comments open for the next few days and will shut 'em down when I open the poll for the next group of players.

Anyway, here are the results--some surprising, some not so much (Connolly). And yeah, I have to manually type the results. The surveymonkey free program offers very little over our own interface here. It was easier to just use a calculator last year.

MAGs, nice. I can't wait to see what ensues (or hope ensues) in 44 days from now. Will be interesting to analyze the results retrospectively.

Thanks for the work, and good to hear you're on the mend. Wish you the best moving forward.

Archived