Brad Boyes?

deluca67

Another trade deadline no-show?

Hard to argue with his lack of production... I will give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a pass since he has been playing out of position and hasn't gotten a ton of ice time. That said, if this happens again next year (assuming we make the playoffs again) then it is clear he needs to go.

Hard to argue with his lack of production... I will give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a pass since he has been playing out of position and hasn't gotten a ton of ice time. That said, if this happens again next year (assuming we make the playoffs again) then it is clear he needs to go.

ya, like how he passed instead of shot when Boucher gave him the puck! But I think he is talented and hard working, just needs to get his head straight

The guys good no question, I'm giving him a pass based soley on this. With Roy and Hecht back to playing center I expect he'll elevate his game.

You know, after he got traded and I got to see his face a lot during interviews and during games, I kept on thinking, "Wow, he looks a lot like Steven Stamkos." It's like their brothers or something because they really look a lot alike. Too bad he's nowhere near as good of a player. He just looks like the guy, but doesn't play anything like him.

Another trade deadline no-show?

I don't think so, not yet at least. Part of the reason he was brought on was to help the drive to the playoffs, which I'd say he did. He contributed .67 pts per game which is just under Pommer's production. Since he was acquired with the understanding of 1+ years under contract, I have to see his production into next year to make that call. 26 games doesn't give me my answer.

That said, there's no denying that he's been mediocre in the playoffs. So if your basing it on the playoffs......

I'm still undecided about Boyes. He did show up down the stretch. Turned on the cloaking device in the playoffs. The second part I am disappointed about. The good thing is he is only signed through next year so it wasnt a bad trade if he doesnt straighten himself out. At this point I think his brain is scrambled and his confidence is shot. He neds to play wing and stop playing center. I think its clear though he us not a player who elevates and makes others better but needs others to help get elevated. I think it is more a sign this team is weak down the middle. Hecht playing center is also out of position. We need to get a couple during the off season. We really got roy and goose. Adam maybe. But no true ones after that.

Playing out of position has nothing to do with battling along the boards for the puck and raising his game to the next level. Boyes tapped in a few goals into an empty net during his first 5-10 games as a Sabre. Since then, he has been the ghost of past trades(Moore & Torres).

0 goals & 6 assists(3 of which came in the last regular season game) in his last 17 games.

I don't think Boyes has been bad, he just hasn't been a difference maker in the Post-season.

He hasn't been on the Power-play or Kill so he hasn't had a ton of ice time, he's been in position to score, he just hasn't beaten the goaltender.

However .....Gerbe has been in a similar situation this series with ice time, and has been capitalizing.

I don't think Boyes has been bad, he just hasn't been a difference maker in the Post-season.

He hasn't been on the Power-play or Kill so he hasn't had a ton of ice time, he's been in position to score, he just hasn't beaten the goaltender.

However .....Gerbe has been in a similar situation this series with ice time, and has been capitalizing.

actually boyes has been on second pp unit and is turning into a major disapointment. Lindy should just show film of Gerbe and try to get rest of team playing with an edge

My biggest concern with Boyes is what happens next year if they re-sign Stafford and can't trade away Pominville (or Boyes.) That's likely to be $13-14M (give or take) in three right wingers. We already have over $10.5M in Vanek and Hecht on the left, with Ennis and Gerbe being RFAs. That's a lot of cash that will be going into wingers (though, Hecht may get slotted as a third-line center if they can't trade him), which may limit the amount that they have to spend on a center (through trade or FA.)

There's a lot of contracts that end this year on the Sabres:

RFA: Stafford, Gerbe, Mancari, Sekera, Butler, Weber, Gragnai & Enroth.

UFA: Connolly, Grier, Niedermayer, McCormick, Ellis, Montador, plus Parrish, Lalime & Stuart.

My biggest concern with Boyes is what happens next year if they re-sign Stafford and can't trade away Pominville (or Boyes.) That's likely to be $13-14M (give or take) in three right wingers. We already have over $10.5M in Vanek and Hecht on the left, with Ennis and Gerbe being RFAs. That's a lot of cash that will be going into wingers (though, Hecht may get slotted as a third-line center if they can't trade him), which may limit the amount that they have to spend on a center (through trade or FA.)

If the team wants to get back to 3 scoring lines they are going to need Hecht as a 3rd line center next season. Unless they plan on signing 2 centers this offseason.

It's not like I have tried to pay specific attention to him during games, but it seems to me that I notice him for NOT being as physical as other Sabres players - in fact, MOST Sabres players. He is frail around the crease ... not battling, not pushing... seems to be content on the perimeter and unloads the puck as soon as he gets it (i.e., afraid?). I've seen TC give himself up more in this series and that's saying something!

Contrast Boyes' crease presence vs. Briere and you'll have a good flavor of why one guy rises to the occasion while the other can't out-score his goalie. I don't want to hear about regular season production. We have tons of players from the last two decades who were good regular season players then couldn't stand and be counted in crunch time -- the playoffs!

If the team wants to get back to 3 scoring lines they are going to need Hecht as a 3rd line center next season. Unless they plan on signing 2 centers this offseason.

I think they should sign or trade for two centers in the off-season.

Or else we continue with Center by Committee.

I think they should sign or trade for two centers in the off-season.

Or else we continue with Center by Committee.

I agree that we should. I'm not sure we'll be able to pull it off though. Especially with the FA market as thin as it is this year.

There are some second line centers that could help -

I wouldn't be unhappy with Marty Reasoner, for example.

Don't know that I see Reasoner as a 2nd line center. Unless you were thinking more like 2nd tier center out of the FA group. Hecht has better offensive numbers generally than Reasoner does.

Assuming the RFA wingers are signed we'll have 3 RW's and 4 LW's that are suitable for a scoring line. Unless one or more are traded I think Hecht moves to C out of necessity. We would have Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe as scoring LW's and Stafford, Boyes, Pomminstein as scoring RW's. Roy, X, and Hecht as top 3 centers. I could live with that if X = the #1 center we've all been craving.

Archived