Scalpers outside HSBC

mandelbrot set

I'm coming in from out of town on Sunday, and I figured it would make sense to try to catch the game if possible. My train will get in right after the game is scheduled to start, and I was wondering what the scalping situation is like outside the building at that point. I'd need a single seat after the game starts. Any insight?

M

I'm coming in from out of town on Sunday, and I figured it would make sense to try to catch the game if possible. My train will get in right after the game is scheduled to start, and I was wondering what the scalping situation is like outside the building at that point. I'd need a single seat after the game starts. Any insight?

M

You might find one from an "independent ticket agent." If you don't, the game will be on some big screens outside. Best bet, though, is a single through the box office (are singles sold out?) or craigslist, stubhub (those robbers) or some other online joint.

While we're on the topic of scalpers, call me ignorant, but what are the dudes doing outside the arena who are "looking" for tickets? I mean, clearly they're not all looking for tickets. I have always assumed they were actually scalpers.

While we're on the topic of scalpers, call me ignorant, but what are the dudes doing outside the arena who are "looking" for tickets? I mean, clearly they're not all looking for tickets. I have always assumed they were actually scalpers.

They are "independent ticket agents," as well. Did you really not know?

They are "independent ticket agents," as well. Did you really not know?

Sorry, but I'm not interested enough in these nefarious characters to go say "wuz up?" However, please note that I did say I assumed they were indeed scalpers.

Sorry, but I'm not interested enough in these nefarious characters to go say "wuz up?" However, please note that I did say I assumed they were indeed scalpers.

Your instincts were right.

And when a girl asks if i want to party....I say only if there's taco dip involved.

I really don't know where to go with this one.

You might find one from an "independent ticket agent." If you don't, the game will be on some big screens outside. Best bet, though, is a single through the box office (are singles sold out?) or craigslist, stubhub (those robbers) or some other online joint.

Yeah, the problem with Craigslist is that I won't be in town to pick them up beforehand. Stubhub is a bit on the pricey side for singles ($150+).

M

OK I'll ask - so are they really looking for tickets to resell, or is everyone just supposed to know "looking for tickets" really means they're already selling? If so, is their "I need tickets" sign some sort of legal cover in case the police get involved, so they can claim they were buying rather than selling?

Well I don't know how all this stuff works with Sabres tix but a buddy of mine had an extra pair of tix (he got for free) to the Bills/Steelers game last year and as we drove to the stadium we pulled over to a guy who had a sign "need tickets" and he was able to sell his extra pair. Didn't get face value but he didn't care.

FWIW

OK I'll ask - so are they really looking for tickets to resell, or is everyone just supposed to know "looking for tickets" really means they're already selling? If so, is their "I need tickets" sign some sort of legal cover in case the police get involved, so they can claim they were buying rather than selling?

They're usually standing right next to a guy yelling, "Who needs tickets?" One buys and the other sells. The price you're paying the buyer will not be the same price at which the seller will offer the same seats.

The scalpers down by the rink are both buyers and sellers and usually have a two sided sign around their neck. One side would read tickets for sale and the other says I need tickets. Why they display that is uknown but it is common to see a scalper holding the I need tickets sign and holding 20 tickets for sale in his hand.

They are willing to buy your tickets but for less than season ticket price and of course will mark that price up.

As someone said try craigslist. Or ebay. You can get tickets emailed to you now. And also as someone said Stub hub are crooks.

The scalpers down by the rink are both buyers and sellers and usually have a two sided sign around their neck. One side would read tickets for sale and the other says I need tickets. Why they display that is uknown but it is common to see a scalper holding the I need tickets sign and holding 20 tickets for sale in his hand.

They are willing to buy your tickets but for less than season ticket price and of course will mark that price up.

As someone said try craigslist. Or ebay. You can get tickets emailed to you now. And also as someone said Stub hub are crooks.

StubHub ain't the crook, the sellers are. And I'm one of them.

Not for playoffs though! (Even though I could make about $500 for Sundays game. No f'in way I'm selling to a Cryer fan)

StubHub ain't the crook, the sellers are. And I'm one of them.

Not for playoffs though! (Even though I could make about $500 for Sundays game. No f'in way I'm selling to a Cryer fan)

When I call Stub Hub crooks its because of the amout of the fee they collect. I have no problem with people selling for as much as they can get.

Good on you for not sharing tix with the cry babies. :death:

When I call Stub Hub crooks its because of the amout of the fee they collect. I have no problem with people selling for as much as they can get.

Good on you for not sharing tix with the cry babies. :death:

StubHub fees are high but you get one very important benefit: You know that you won't get sold a bad ticket. Try and get your money back from Craigslist or eBay.

PTR

StubHub fees are high but you get one very important benefit: You know that you won't get sold a bad ticket. Try and get your money back from Craigslist or eBay.

PTR

Not exactly true. If the tickets are electronic, the seller can still screw you by selling the same ticket to more than 1 buyer (this happened to a friend of mine). However, you do get a refund from Stubhub, which is better than the zero you get if you get ripped off via ebay or Craig's list.

Not exactly true. If the tickets are electronic, the seller can still screw you by selling the same ticket to more than 1 buyer (this happened to a friend of mine). However, you do get a refund from Stubhub, which is better than the zero you get if you get ripped off via ebay or Craig's list.

Thanks, that was actually my point. You may get screwed but StubHub will back you up. You have to have a valid credit card to deal with StubHub to buy or sell, so you can't get away with ripping people off like that. If it happens it's usually an honest mistake. One time I forgot I gave a buddy a Bills ticket, and then sold it on StubHub. He couldn't get in and I had to explain myself. I had a good record till then so they gave me a mulligan.

PTR

That is exactly true, as far as events at HSBC Arena go. Stubhub has an exclusive contract with them, so all etickets go thru an uploading onto stubhub's system. The barcodes get changed and you know when you buy them, those are 100% going to work. The barcodes to the old hard tickets will no longer work.

It's just as safe as buying directly from the Sabres.

I'd like to thank the fan who sold their tickets to ME on STUBHUB last night :thumbsup:

Right after the game we said "Let's do it"! and bought four tickets for Sunday. Nosebleeds...but we will be in the building.

Yes, StubHub's fees are large...$46 and change for service fees and $4.95 to download and print the tickets. What ya gonna do? I've used StubHub for concert tickets in Cleveland multiple times with great success. We are a crazy busy family who do things like this last minute on the fly and I figure that's the price you pay.

We will leave Ohio around 8am...drive to Buffalo...hopefully enjoy a series clinching thriller on Easter Sunday...then haul A$$ back home. Hubby has to work in Cleveland at 9pm.

He may be a little late... :pirate:

That is exactly true, as far as events at HSBC Arena go. Stubhub has an exclusive contract with them, so all etickets go thru an uploading onto stubhub's system. The barcodes get changed and you know when you buy them, those are 100% going to work. The barcodes to the old hard tickets will no longer work.

It's just as safe as buying directly from the Sabres.

Almost. You are correct about the Sabres IF you sell your season tickets. But you can sell a PDF copy of your ticket on StubHub as well. That's where you can sell an e-ticket multiple times, but it's practically impossible to get away with it since you have to guarantee every transaction with a credit card. Bottom line you are paying for peace of mind on StubHub.

PTR

The 10% fee that StubHub charges buyers is typically peanuts compared to TicketMaster's fees.

If Craigslist weren't littered with crap links to shady ticket resale sites and buyers without PayPal accounts, the resale market for tickets on there would be much better. Two seasons ago, it was great. Last season it became a dump.

Almost. You are correct about the Sabres IF you sell your season tickets. But you can sell a PDF copy of your ticket on StubHub as well. That's where you can sell an e-ticket multiple times, but it's practically impossible to get away with it since you have to guarantee every transaction with a credit card. Bottom line you are paying for peace of mind on StubHub.

PTR

No, what you are saying would be correct for just about any other team, except for the Sabres. But, because MLB and HSBC Arena have this system with Stubhub, once you scan or punch in the barcode numbers to have them go to the stubhub buyer, the tickets you have in your hand, whether they are hard tickets or printouts are no longer valid........If you tried to do it again on Stubhub, it would fail.

Now, you can screw somebody and sell those hard or printed tickets on ebay or craigslist or whatever, and they won't know they're not going to work until they fail at the turnstile. But, it can't happen to a Sabres ticket you buy on stubhub, because what you get then is the new (valid) barcode.

Archived