I was wrong

apushms

I was wrong ... I was excited when we be drafted Gerbe after watching him in college, but I quickly resigned myself to the belief he would be a career AHLer. I didn't see this surge in scoring, defensive play, enthusiasm coming. There were times this season when I wondered aloud why he was still up in Buffalo. But that is why I am a fan, not a talent evaluator. It seems that his gritty play and passion are not only fueling his play, but rubbing off on teammates. I don't know where the rest of this season is headed, but I am excited to watch and #42 is a big reason why.

I was wrong ... I was excited when we be drafted Gerbe after watching him in college, but I quickly resigned myself to the belief he would be a career AHLer. I didn't see this surge in scoring, defensive play, enthusiasm coming. There were times this season when I wondered aloud why he was still up in Buffalo. But that is why I am a fan, not a talent evaluator. It seems that his gritty play and passion are not only fueling his play, but rubbing off on teammates. I don't know where the rest of this season is headed, but I am excited to watch and #42 is a big reason why.

Here here. A hockey player is a hockey player, whether he's 5' 5 or 6' 5.

Many people expected Gerbe to fail because of his size, and when he struggled at first many of us falsely attributed this to physical limitations, whereas he was just having trouble adjusting to the NHL like 99% of rookies do. I see Gerbe being a consistent 25 goal scorer in the NHL.

It's still too early to tell. He wouldn't be the first rookie to have a year like this and still crash and burn.

But I am more hopeful than ever that he can prove me wrong. He's showing more than I have expected. And as I've said before, this April will give a better indication of whether he's going to be what we need.

But I do like what he's done in the 2nd half.

I was wrong ... I was excited when we be drafted Gerbe after watching him in college, but I quickly resigned myself to the belief he would be a career AHLer.

Several posters seem to have followed this pattern. Maybe it's because people are viewing the NHL draft a little to closely. It's not the NFL draft. We see a kid light it up in juniors or college and then assume these player will do the same at the NHL level. It reminds me of the Mancari syndrome. Posters have clamored for years to brim him up , inevitably only to besmirch him all the way back to Portland. I guess it really is just unrealistic expectations.

As one of the OG Gerbe haters, I will admit he has changed my opinion of him. If I was a politician I'd be called a flip-flopper. But I love the Napoleon complex this kid has and he just might be one of the strongest players on the team. Truly impressive.

He's turned into a pest that can score goals. He's playing with an edge. He's become 100% heart all the time. If he can consistently play with this attitude, he's going to be a really good player next year. He's got a great shot, and he always has had a great shot. But, he's been missing the mental tools to put it all together. I think he's got the confidence, the edge, and the chip on his shoulder, and it's working now. Gerbe's also been really good backchecking and playing in the defensive zone. He's quickly turning into an all out good two way player. It's exciting to watch his growth.

I will also say that Mancari has played well on this recent call-up. He's playing physical and using his big frame to win battles along the board and in front of the net. I am beginning to like that Gerbe-Gaustad-Mancari line. It's got skill, grit, and determination. Those are the lines that are miserable to play against come playoff time.

Was it the one goal in 32 games that alerted you to his skill set?

Haha, go back and find my original posts on Gerbe.

found one in Gerbe is bad thread

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

I dunno, Gerbe seems to have helped Vanek and Roy.

Not sure when he was placed with Vanek and Roy, but going back to the Columbus game Gerbe, Vanek, Roy have combined for 14 points 4g and 10a. Vanek had a goal on the pp.

Gerbe isn't getting points but whatever he is doing is helping Vanek and Roy get points. Ruff hasen't demoted him off the 1st line yet so he must be doing something right.

You can see the guy has a pretty good skill set, he doesn't do dumb things on the ice, and he doesn't float, he is just smaller than everybody else. Once he learns how to play against the bigger, faster guys he will be fine.

to a great many sports fans there are two categories of players: stud or suck

if you arent good right away as a young player what are you? suck

if you arent as good as the better players on the team and in the league what are you? suck

if you arent as good this season/month as you were previously what are you? suck

if you dont make me want to buy your jersey like some love sick adolescent what are you? suck

just another form of haters gonna hate

roy sucks

stafford sucks

gerbe sucks

miller sucks

lindy sucks

ralph is cheap

if you arent as good as the better players on the team and in the league what are you? suck

if you arent as good this season/month as you were previously what are you? suck

if you dont make me want to buy your jersey like some love sick adolescent what are you? suck

roy sucks

stafford sucks

gerbe sucks

miller sucks

lindy sucks

ralph is cheap

Actually, I think it really boils down to, if you post a criticism of a player then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE SUCKS !!!!! And if you post support then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE'S BEST EVAR!!!!

There is no middle ground on the AL Gore's invention.

Actually, I think it really boils down to, if you post a criticism of a player then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE SUCKS !!!!! And if you post support then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE'S BEST EVAR!!!!

Amen.

Actually, I think it really boils down to, if you post a criticism of a player then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE SUCKS !!!!! And if you post support then ZOMG!!! YOU THINK HE'S BEST EVAR!!!!There is no middle ground on the AL Gore's invention.

Amen.

QFT. It certainly seems that way.

I do not paint posters with that broad brush. I know I have been and am at times critical of coach, players and/or organization decisions or individual performances but it does not make me or anyone I read any more or less of a fan. TBH thats one of the great things I like about this board as I actually enjoy reading the variety of opinions, perspectives, reasoned debates and sarcastic wit.

roy sucks

stafford sucks

gerbe sucks

miller sucks

lindy sucks

ralph is cheap

Good posts. I award you each green +1 reps.

I'm Facebook friends with Gerbe and I know for a fact that he's still pissed off at everyone who ever doubted him, especially you.

The good news is that if you start begging for his forgiveness, and keep at it for a good 5 or 6 years, he might start to think about being OK with you again. Someday.

I think the reason that people were even more skeptical of Gerbe is because Darcy always went for the skilled, soft, undersized player. Here we go with an oompa loompa that showed very little his first go around, and it was easy to see the pattern entrenched.

I feel the same way about Gerbe that I did about Kennedy late last year. That probably means he goes to arbitration and gets waived.

I think the reason that people were even more skeptical of Gerbe is because Darcy always went for the skilled, soft, undersized player. Here we go with an oompa loompa that showed very little his first go around, and it was easy to see the pattern entrenched.

I feel the same way about Gerbe that I did about Kennedy late last year. That probably means he goes to arbitration and gets waived.

Gerbe has shown way more then Kennedy ever did........ :beer:

Speaking of wheredidhego?

I think he's in Syracuse.

On November 1, Paetsch and Andrew Peters were removed from the Amerks roster due to curfew violations, with Paetsch moving to the Syracuse Crunch.

Paetsch and his wife maintain a home in Spencerport, New York, a suburb of Rochester.

He's probably crushing some cream ales with Peters.

Planning their revenge on Quinn and Reiger. :ph34r:

Archived