In Praise of Ted Black

That Aud Smell

Just needed to add that this is truly terrific stuff we are seeing from this new ownership group. It really has changed the on ice product, you just can't deny that. You only hope that they keep this same enthusiasm over the years but could they have made they have done much more right in so short a period of time? I mean, imagine, listening to fans and actually acting. Quickly! It is minor things like the Sabre Dance on the broadcasts, instituting a pre-game show, redoing the carpet, and actually instituting a way for fans to reach upper management but they really add up. Cool to see ideas posted on here and actually have them instituted the next game!

Just needed to add that this is truly terrific stuff we are seeing from this new ownership group. It really has changed the on ice product, you just can't deny that. You only hope that they keep this same enthusiasm over the years but could they have made they have done much more right in so short a period of time? I mean, imagine, listening to fans and actually acting. Quickly! It is minor things like the Sabre Dance on the broadcasts, instituting a pre-game show, redoing the carpet, and actually instituting a way for fans to reach upper management but they really add up. Cool to see ideas posted on here and actually have them instituted the next game!

Get your commemorative rally towel tomorrow! :) :beer:

i scored a ticket at the last minute to yesterday's game. as i was waiting among the masses to have my ticket scanned, i spied a well-dressed (but not TOO well-dressed) gentleman just beyond the ticket-scanners who was handing out game night booklets (rememeber those? they're back!). i said to my buddy, "that guy looks just like ted black!" my buddy, god bless him, said "terry who?" HA!

with our tickets scanned, i walked up to the guy, thanked him for the program, and told him he was the spitting image of ted black. the guy cocked a half-grin and said, "yeah, one and the same, my friend -- i got demoted!"

holy funking sh!t, was all i could say then, and it's all i can say now.

we chatted for a minute or so as he continued to hand out programs and welcome people to the arena. (later, as i enjoyed a pre-game beverage and looked down on the pavilion, i saw a guy in what appeared to be a rob ray jersey getting his photo taken with black.) black was a class guy, and also came off as genuine and down-to-earth.

i can't recall ever having SEEN quinn in the arena, let alone out in the pavilion pre-game handing out FREE programs.

the times aren't just a' changin' -- they've changed already.

last point: i don't know how much of the new ownership's efforts to date are responsible for what i perceived to be a very different vibe in the arena. maybe it was the emotional energy created by martin's tragic death. maybe it was the matinee start and the abundance of kids. but i do think that the new culture that pegula & co. are working to forge has had much to do with how different the arena felt.

go sabres.

Did you ask him if he could make HSBC smell more like The Aud?

Did you ask him if he could make HSBC smell more like The Aud?

That's easy. Hang the old cigarette butts from the rafters at HSBC. That should solve the problem.
They'd have to soak them in stale beer first ...

thanks for the set-up on this one, pipes.

i was going to start another topic to share this item, but your rejoinder offers a more natural opportunity to share this post script: when i got home from the game (right around 8), my school-aged kids were in bed, but not asleep. i went up to say good night and, yes, share a story about getting a program from the team's president. the kid to whom i was standing closest leaned into me as i was telling the story and said "daddy, you smell just like the hockey arena."

that just killed me.

so, while the arena can never actually smell like the aud (they would have to rip out the arena's modern ventilation equipment, for starters), i take heart in the fact that at least one my kids has an olfalctic association with the sabres' barn, just like i did when i was her age.

Terry Pegula's daughter Jessica was there too. Did u see her? She gave me my program. I didn't see Black, but that'd b cool too!

the thing that amazes me about her is her online presence. her twitter feeds, her blog ... both of them are really mature for a 16 year old. she handles herself with a grace that i just wouldn't expect from someone her age. it speaks well of her as a person and of how her parents have raised her. not that how terry and kim raise a kid has anything to do with hockey directly, but it does go to show what kind of people THEY are. i don't know. it's the little thing like this that impress the crap out of me about the whole family--not just terry and ted.

i agree with OP: times aren't just changing; they've already changed, and for the way, way better. you lucky buffalo people! :)

I don't think I've ever seen a Knox or Swados down among the masses, or a Rigas either. It sure sounds like culture change and that is a good thing.

That's not true. I remember being a kid at a Sabres/Mighty Ducks game at the Aud and we sat in front of SHK IV and his son. He told us his kid was a Ducks fan because of the movies. Really nice guy.

That's not true. I remember being a kid at a Sabres/Mighty Ducks game at the Aud and we sat in front of SHK IV and his son. He told us his kid was a Ducks fan because of the movies. Really nice guy.

Technically, it is true because *I* never saw it. But yeah, I've already been served on that statement twice before you did. I guess I should've re-worded it to, I've never seen them out front handing out programs and such.

I lived in SRO and the oranges. The suits don't show up in the nose bleeds very often. At least not back then.

I seem to remember a rather pungent fish smell right as you entered the building.

Only when the wind was blowing off the lake :thumbsup:

I also remember the smell of wet dog, salt, hot dogs, and marijuana.

It was a wonderful place, nowhere else like it.

ooooooo ahhhh, Sabres on the War path - I want that chant back and put that in the suggestion box at Sabres.com - Starting tomorrow, that will be heard in the crowd......

Or seen...I purchased this beauty after the new jerseys were announced. At the Sabres-Canes game down here a couple of weeks ago, at least three fans came up to me and said something along the lines of, "only a true Sabres fan would appreciate that." :)

Or seen...I purchased this beauty after the new jerseys were announced. At the Sabres-Canes game down here a couple of weeks ago, at least three fans came up to me and said something along the lines of, "only a true Sabres fan would appreciate that." :)

Thats awesome!

...and you're right, only Sabres fans in the know would know what the puck that meant. I wonder how often you would get people coming up in utter confusion :doh:

Archived