Did my ears deceive me? (RJ goal call in arena)

LTS

Did the Sabres new regime sneak in another often requested change?

I clearly heard RJ's call of the Vanek goal.. and you know.. the crowd loved it!

Sneaky.. I hope I hear 5 more goal calls in tonight's game.. 7 goals would be appropriate tonight don't you think?

RIP. #7

Did the Sabres new regime sneak in another often requested change?

I clearly heard RJ's call of the Vanek goal.. and you know.. the crowd loved it!

Sneaky.. I hope I hear 5 more goal calls in tonight's game.. 7 goals would be appropriate tonight don't you think?

RIP. #7

You heard it. And it was the actual call. Neat trick. I didn't notice it after Ennis' goal.

Shades of the Aud in the early 90s.

Edit: And also pretty clever. If the crowd starts to die down, they're going to cheer again the second time!

They have been doing this for a few years now.

Didn't do it at the 2 games I went to at HSBC last year and I don't remember hearing it during ANY of the games I've watched the past few seasons.

Didn't do it at the 2 games I went to at HSBC last year and I don't remember hearing it during ANY of the games I've watched the past few seasons.

No they haven't done this in a LONG time. I was at the game tonight and it was really cool to hear. AND, people did cheer twice when Rick called the goal.

They have been doing this for a few years now.

I go to about 8 or 9 home games a year. They haven't done this since I've started buying mini-packs several seasons ago as far as I recall, but, you know, age and drugs affects teh memory. I remember they used to do it at some point in the past, but I can't remember when.

I go to about 8 or 9 home games a year. They haven't done this since I've started buying mini-packs several seasons ago as far as I recall, but, you know, age and drugs affects teh memory. I remember they used to do it at some point in the past, but I can't remember when.

Argh! Your avatar! The slug! :)

I definitely remember it in the Aud in the 90s.

They were feeding the replays onto the scoreboard from msg shortly after the goals were scored. Nice hearing RJ's voice crying in elation over the goals in HSBC. I went to the fist three games of the 6 game homestand (all losses :cry: ) and hadn't noticed it. Definitely a new addition. :thumbsup: i can dig it.

I don't think so. I could be wrong, and I've only been to one game this year, but try as I might I can't recall hearing Rick's voice at all while in attendance. This includes 10 games I went to last year.

I know I am getting old and prone to hearing things but I know they have done it for awhile although maybe not as consistently as I thought.

They definitely did it in the playoffs the first two years after the lock out. Not sure about last year but they did it earlier this year as well.

Never heard it when I've gone to games and, not only that, but I've also never heard it on the remaining home games that I watch on TV. Tonight, I clearly heard the replay being played in the arena right after goal ... while watching it at home. This is definitely new in terms of recent history. In fact, I want say that Mr. Black mentioned that they had several request for it from fans and would be doing it in his interview on S&BD. I say that because when I heard it, I thought "oh yeah, there it is."

They definitely did it in the playoffs the first two years after the lock out. Not sure about last year but they did it earlier this year as well.

I assumed they never stopped, but then when I heard those calls during yesterday's broadcast, it was definitely a new sound to me. I'm glad this thread is here because I was going to ask about it.

RJs calls were played over the PA several seasons back at HSBC. I recall reading somewhere that someone (don't know if it was a fan, team official or sports writer) didn't like the practice, as it was sort of a "minor league" thing to do. Perhaps the Sabres' previous front office agreed with this and pulled the plug. I do kind of like hearing RJ's goal calls over the PA - it sure adds excitement!

RJs calls were played over the PA several seasons back at HSBC. I recall reading somewhere that someone (don't know if it was a fan, team official or sports writer) didn't like the practice, as it was sort of a "minor league" thing to do. Perhaps the Sabres' previous front office agreed with this and pulled the plug. I do kind of like hearing RJ's goal calls over the PA - it sure adds excitement!

I could see it being considered a minor league practice some places, but the fans here have such a connection with Rick that it really is just a nod to that. I like it and I hope they keep it up.

I could see it being considered a minor league practice some places, but the fans here have such a connection with Rick that it really is just a nod to that. I like it and I hope they keep it up.

And he's not going to be here much longer so embrace him while he's still calling games.

And he's not going to be here much longer so embrace him while he's still calling games.

He's not THAT old. And all he does IMHO is blow off some steam from time to time by saying this might be his last season. I don't think he's going to be taken alive.

And, really, after some rough games in 2009-10 that I firmly believe can be attributed to health problems, he's at the very top of his game.

Dollars to half donuts, he's here in five years.

The only thing that might sway him is if his son could get the job. Even then, now that penny pinching is outta here, Mark could always do radio until his dad retires.

He's not THAT old. And all he does IMHO is blow off some steam from time to time by saying this might be his last season. I don't think he's going to be taken alive.

And, really, after some rough games in 2009-10 that I firmly believe can be attributed to health problems, he's at the very top of his game.

Dollars to half donuts, he's here in five years.

The only thing that might sway him is if his son could get the job. Even then, now that penny pinching is outta here, Mark could always do radio until his dad retires.

An angle of Pegulamania I hadn't previously considered. I wonder if RJ sticks around longer than he would have under OSP.

Archived