Thanks, Tom

Doohickie

In the euphoria of new ownership, Sabres fans are embracing Terry Pegula and villifying Tom Golisano. I, for one, would like to thank Mr. Golisano for what he provided for the team- stability and a firm anchor in Buffalo when the team faced the Rigas crisis. Mr. Golisano did a great service to the City of Buffalo, keeping the Sabres in town when other potential owners would have sought to move them.

He ran the team like a business enterprise, keeping expenses low. He was a thrifty owner who put a good, if not great, team on the ice. Nearly every year in the Golisano era started with the hope of a playoff run. Several other NHL teams can't make the same claim.

Most importantly, Tom Golisano knew when to get out. He is a businessman and a promoter of the region, but not a strong hockey fan. He kept the team in Buffalo, got its finances in order, stabilized the franchise, took care of it for us when no one else had the ready resources, and finally found an enthusiastic fan with the resources to take the team, and handed over the reins.

We will cheer our Sabres and Terry Pegula in the future, but before we do, I think we should all give Tom Golisano a standing ovation for bringing the team to this point.

Thanks, Mr. Golisano. :thumbsup:

I will triple that emotion! Thanks Mr Golisano. There are never any guarantees in sports (or anything for that matter), Mr Golisano was instrumental in keeping the franchise we love, in the place we fell in love with it, and though everything wasn't perfect, we had two amazing seasons, and a few not so bad, along the way. I am excited about Mr Pegula, and what he can mean to the Sabres, and I grateful for Mr Golisano for selling the team to what seems to be the right man, at the right time. No reason to have any ill feelings toward TG!

Agree 100%. TG took a failing business and turned it around; then turned down an offer to purchase for approx. $70,000,000 more(!!!) because it could have led to the team leaving Buffalo. Tom Golisano, himself, may not have been "the perfect owner", but he may have just sold the team to an individual who is. If Terry Pegula and company achieve their goal of a championship(s), TG gets an assist to go with his well deserved profit.

Agree 100%. TG took a failing business and turned it around; then turned down an offer to purchase for approx. $70,000,000 more(!!!) because it could have led to the team leaving Buffalo. Tom Golisano, himself, may not have been "the perfect owner", but he may have just sold the team to an individual who is. If Terry Pegula and company achieve their goal of a championship(s), TG gets an assist to go with his well deserved profit.

That was a wise move. A lot of us ragged on him in different ways, but this is one where he deserves the proper accolades. He knew well enough that if he sold out to that rat Jim Balsillie, he would have had many angry fans.

As for Balsillie, I think he's already killed his own chances of ever owning an NHL franchise. Granted, he could buy the Leafs, but then he'd probably try to move them to Hamilton as well. As much as we can't stand the Leafs, it's best to leave them where they're at.

Time for me to piss in the cheerios...

We've been over this before, but Bettman wasn't going to let the Sabres leave Buffalo either prior to OSP buying them, or the rumored offer from Balsillie prior to the Pegula sale announcement.

Your honor, I present Exhibit A...

Just look at the great lengths Bettman has taken to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.

I rest my case.

That was a wise move. A lot of us ragged on him in different ways, but this is one where he deserves the proper accolades. He knew well enough that if he sold out to that rat Jim Balsillie, he would have had many angry fans.

As for Balsillie, I think he's already killed his own chances of ever owning an NHL franchise. Granted, he could buy the Leafs, but then he'd probably try to move them to Hamilton as well. As much as we can't stand the Leafs, it's best to leave them where they're at.

How? The Ontario teachers will never sell.

Thank you for running this post. Tom G should always be revered for stepping in when needed to save the franchise AND keep it in Buffalo, lest we live thru the Quebec Nordiques fan experience of watching their former team hoist the Cup in a city far, far, away. As I recall, very few to no one else was lining up to buy the Sabres, and the first guy approved to negotiate a sale almost got ran out of town because he needed some public funds and works done to make it viable for him. Having an NHL franchise is not an entitlement.

So Tom G, I thank for saving this franchise, and for leaving it better than you found it (hey folks, bankrupt and low on talent was a bad combination).

No ill will towrds tommy boy, but that is where I have to call bull$***, the league would never approve that and I am quite sure that statement was either embelished or completely false. There is no way in hell that the league would let that happen, so even if that offer was made, just the relocation clause of the offer would make it unrealistic.

No ill will towrds tommy boy, but that is where I have to call bull$***, the league would never approve that and I am quite sure that statement was either embelished or completely false. There is no way in hell that the league would let that happen, so even if that offer was made, just the relocation clause of the offer would make it unrealistic.

However, it would've been an ugly fight like the one over the Phoenix Coyotes. Avoiding that alone is a plus. Let's face it. If no NHL team were in Buffalo right now, would anyone move a team here? Given the regional wealth required for a major league team, plus competing for it against the Bills, not likely. I also wish Tom G had stepped in when Briere and Drury left, but I'm thankful we still have a team to follow. Like I said in an earlier post, having an NHL team is not an entitlement.

Close your eyes, click your heels 3 times and repeat after me...

The team wasn't going to be sold and moved

:D

No sh*t. And thanks, Tom, for buying the team out of BK and, well, keeping it on an even keel (too even!) for a while. Take it easy in Fla., and good luck on your latest crazy-ass political campaign (that would have devastated your own party in 2000). But keep pressing, anyway.

Sincere about the thanks. Equally sincere about the goodbye.

Close your eyes, click your heels 3 times and repeat after me...

:D

I never said they would. I did say that other potential owners would have sought to move them though, and what do you think that would have done to the fan base and the team? Stable and profitable but mediocre is much, much preferred to alienated with an unknown future. Things were a little boring on the ice, but they were also boring in the front office, and in the front office, boring was good.

I never said they would. I did say that other potential owners would have sought to move them though, and what do you think that would have done to the fan base and the team? Stable and profitable but mediocre is much, much preferred to alienated with an unknown future. Things were a little boring on the ice, but they were also boring in the front office, and in the front office, boring was good.

My point is that the sale would never have been approved by the NHL BoG, if the potential owner wanted to buy the Sabres and immediately move them.

No sh*t. And thanks, Tom, for buying the team out of BK and, well, keeping it on an even keel (too even!) for a while. Take it easy in Fla., and good luck on your latest crazy-ass political campaign (that would have devastated your own party in 2000). But keep pressing, anyway.

Sincere about the thanks. Equally sincere about the goodbye.

You should be glad Golisano wasn't like Buffalo Braves owner Tom Snyder. The Braves were a playoff contending team when he decimated them, then sold'em to John Y Brown who willfully ruined the team so he could move them out of Buffalo in an underhanded deal with the Celtics owner at the time. I can't believe how many on this board aren't grateful for what they have, and think every billionaire owner owes them something. Good thing some do.

You should be glad Golisano wasn't like Buffalo Braves owner Tom Paul Snyder. The Braves were a playoff contending team when he decimated them, then sold'em to John Y Brown who willfully ruined the team so he could move them out of Buffalo in an underhanded deal with the Celtics owner at the time. I can't believe how many on this board aren't grateful for what they have, and think every billionaire owner owes them something. Good thing some do.

Fixed

How? The Ontario teachers will never sell.

It was a hypothetical situation. It was a way of me saying that if Balsillie really wanted a team in Hamilton that bad, it means that he is not willing to drive the extra 40-50 miles to get there. Yet, we have an owner who lives in Boca Raton, FL who is basically paying for his own family's travel expenses to come up here. Talk about a difference between night and day!

Tom: Thanks.

I appreciate what you did. And I appreciate you moving on to other activities in life. For the time you owned the team, we were better for it.

Any alternate scenario could have been bad and because of you we didn't have to find out what that could look like.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks! How I confused a Frozen Food/NBA franchise owner with a talk show host can only be attributed to the 12" of unexpected snow we had today.

Anytime.

I guess part of it was that both of them had the last name of Snyder.

Yeah, thanks Tom for screwing over the team and fans, knowing you were selling. Not allowing Darcy to re-sign Tallinder and Lydman, forcing Darcy to buy out Tim Kennedy, preventing any significant improvement in the roster and extending Darcy in-season (violating your own policy), in order to drain every last freakin' sugar packet of money out of the team before you left, and making sure your castrated yes man was set up for the future.

You showed your true colors in the end.

Thank you so much.

Some of you naive folks should read the article titled "Quinntessence" to learn how much politics played into Golisano's decision to buy the time. Tom was all about Tom.

And, oh yeah, he didn't save the Buffalo Sabres.

Have a nice day.

Archived