Ryan Miller...was last season the exception or the norm?

LabattBlue

So, trade him to Detroit so he can be on the same team as his brother (and back in his home state) and watch him carry the Wings to a Cup. Then we start from scratch with Enroth (whose GAA is higher than Miller's....in the AHL) Yippee.

And if Miller had Chara playing in front of him, he'd probably be tremendous, too.

Don't forget, it was Miller in the nets in the EC Finals against the Hurricanes.

Ever notice Miller's great accomplishments end in a loss? Carolina series, Winter Classic and the Olympics come to mind.

It's time to face a reality in the NHL. The last "great" goaltender in the NHL is fading away in New Jersey. With maybe the exception of the Luongo there is no goalie ready to take on the challenge of being the next great goaltender.

Ever notice Miller's great accomplishments end in a loss? Carolina series, Winter Classic and the Olympics come to mind.

It's time to face a reality in the NHL. The last "great" goaltender in the NHL is fading away in New Jersey. With maybe the exception of the Luongo there is no goalie ready to take on the challenge of being the next great goaltender.

I like this observation. There are a number of very good goalies in the NHL right now. But there doesn't seem to be any that are threatening to be the next great goalie. There was a run with Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur that appears to be ending with no heir apparent ready and in the wings. It seems that parity has affected the goalie ranks.

I wonder if it has to do with goalies relying on equipment and positioning more? The diff between the top 10 or so goalies seems to be too small to really mean anything.

If you looked at the link I included when starting this thread, you would see that what you are stating is not true. His GAA went up from his 1st full year(05-06) to 2nd year, and his save% has been up and down throughout his years as a Sabre. ;)

You're right. Let me correct myself. His GAA has improved sequentially every year since 2006-2007 until this year. His save percentage has improved sequentially every year from 2007-2008 until this year. So, the steady improvement has been over the last 4 years for GAA and 3 years for Save Percentage to be exact. Per the statistics, his save percentage has not been "up and down" over the course of his career per se. It sequentially went down and dipped during the 2007-2008 season before sequentially improving over the last three years. An "up and down" trajectory would imply that it goes down one year and then goes up the next year and oscillates back and forth. However, that is statistically not the case, so what you have written isn't necessarily true either.

The first two years of his career are not all that conclusive as he missed a lot of time during the 2005-2006 season to injury and because he improved his win total by 10 games between those two years in 15 more appearances. Additionally, it's tough to argue that a 0.003 reduction in save percentage between 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 is necessarily statistically significant, but given the small sample size we have little to work with it. The GAA increase between the two years is pretty significant. However, the sequential statistical improvement over the past 3 years in each category for GAA and Save Percentage has in my opinion coincided with improved goalie play for Ryan Miller over the last three years as well as when compared to his first few years which was during different enforcement of post-lockout rules.

Either way, my opinion still stands that Ryan Miller is a top 10 goalie in the NHL, who is capable of having some elite years, but he is not an elite goalie. He's a top 10 goalie that I think can play well for this franchise, but if a trade came through, you'd have to investigate it.

This is the weirdest thread I've ever seen. Enroth has a terrific game, and everyones anointing him our #1 goalie and then saying Miller should be traded? Come on people - it's one game. Also, does anyone remember when we had Miller and Biron? I'm more thrilled about the prospect of having Miller and Enroth rather than Miller and a turnstile. After Biron and before Enroth, our back-ups have dragged us down.

Also, I hope Enroth is the real deal, but give him a few more NHL games under his belt before that decision is made.

I recently heard an interview with Calgarys G.M. Jay Feaster and he was asked if he would entertain the idea of trading Kipper and his answer was that Tampa Bay is still trying to replace Habibulin. How many years has it been? Look at how long Philly has been trying to find a capable goalie. Good ones don't just fall into your lap and to get a good one you draft well ,develop and hope they turn out or you give up assets to get one when you're desperate for goaltending. IMO,Miller is having an off year and if we had a backup the coach trusted to put in Miller would get the rest he needs and would be the better tender for it.

People are fickle on Goalies.

If you have a goalie that gives you a chance win every night you have a good goalie.

Enroth played nice. Probably 9 of those shots on Enroth in the first don't get taken if he is a veteran. They were testing him. I actually think it settled him down.

He's got a very nice glove and he's got very good reflexes.

He's got some work to do post to post and down low.

He's going to be a nice player.

I recently heard an interview with Calgarys G.M. Jay Feaster and he was asked if he would entertain the idea of trading Kipper and his answer was that Tampa Bay is still trying to replace Habibulin. How many years has it been? Look at how long Philly has been trying to find a capable goalie. Good ones don't just fall into your lap and to get a good one you draft well ,develop and hope they turn out or you give up assets to get one when you're desperate for goaltending. IMO,Miller is having an off year and if we had a backup the coach trusted to put in Miller would get the rest he needs and would be the better tender for it.

Good post.

People are fickle on Goalies.

If you have a goalie that gives you a chance win every night you have a good goalie.

Enroth played nice. Probably 9 of those shots on Enroth in the first don't get taken if he is a veteran. They were testing him. I actually think it settled him down.

He's got a very nice glove and he's got very good reflexes.

He's got some work to do post to post and down low.

He's going to be a nice player.

And people who watched one of the top goalies in NHL history are not only fickle but somewhat spoiled.

Paul Hamilton said on WGR this morning that this is the last season Enroth doesn't have to go through waivers.

That's not correct. Goalies have different criteria for waiver eligibility. For Enroth, he's not waiver eligible until he has either played 80 NHL games (might be 60 games, not sure on his age when he signed) or 4 years after his first contract. He's in his 3rd year now and is obviously nowhere near the games cutoff. He can still be freely moved back and forth to Portland next year.

And people who watched one of the top goalies in NHL history are not only fickle but somewhat spoiled.

One thing that has always impressed me about Miller is that he is forever in control.

The guy plays with such economy of motion that he rarely needs the spectacular save because shooters are looking at an eclipse.

But as far as odd man rushes and breakaways, he's been seeing a ton.

It's not like Mike Ramsey and Billy Hajt in front of him these days.

It looks to me like Miller's numbers are fair:

http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=SALARY&position=G&limit=25

This:

The first season in which a Player who is age 20 or older plays in one (1)

or more Professional Games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of

years he is exempt from Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers.

and this:

For Players age 20 or older, Professional Games include NHL Games, all

minor league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games,

including but not limited to, play in European leagues when Player is on Loan to such

club, and while Player is party to an SPC.

and this:

Enroth signed his contract in the year he turned 20 years old

and this:

He is in his third year of his first contract.

What this means to me is because he's older, his Portland games count. While at his contract signing age he has 4 years of exemption he does not pass the games played rule of 80 or less, he's played 148 total of what the CBA, for his age, count.

This:

The first season in which a Player who is age 20 or older plays in one (1)

or more Professional Games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of

years he is exempt from Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers.

and this:

For Players age 20 or older, Professional Games include NHL Games, all

minor league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games,

including but not limited to, play in European leagues when Player is on Loan to such

club, and while Player is party to an SPC.

and this:

Enroth signed his contract in the year he turned 20 years old

and this:

He is in his third year of his first contract.

What this means to me is because he's older, his Portland games count. While at his contract signing age he has 4 years of exemption he does not pass the games played rule of 80 or less, he's played 148 total of what the CBA, for his age, count.

Go to article 13 of the CBA. The waiver restrictions clearly state "NHL games" not "Professional Games". Enroth will still be exempt next year. The perfect example is Howard in Detroit. He was older when he signed with Detroit, but still remained waiver exempt through his 4th season with the club.

Go to article 13 of the CBA. The waiver restrictions clearly state "NHL games" not "Professional Games". Enroth will still be exempt next year. The perfect example is Howard in Detroit. He was older when he signed with Detroit, but still remained waiver exempt through his 4th season with the club.

My second point is directly from Article 13 paragraph 8. It's a bit misleading (maybe something fixed in the new CBA). For age 18 or 19 players, it's NHL games. For 20 yr old it's "professional" games which includes NHL, AHL, European, et al.

A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the

2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:

Season Regular Waivers/Re-Entry Waivers

05-06 Exempt

06-07 Exempt

07-08 Exempt

08-09 Eligible

My second point is directly from Article 13 paragraph 8. It's a bit misleading (maybe something fixed in the new CBA). For age 18 or 19 players, it's NHL games. For 20 yr old it's "professional" games which includes NHL, AHL, European, et al.

A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the

2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:

Season Regular Waivers/Re-Entry Waivers

05-06 Exempt

06-07 Exempt

07-08 Exempt

08-09 Eligible

Yes, the professional game starts their clock for the years played portion of the criteria. The games played portion is specifically NHL games. And also, the chart you listed is specific to a skater, not a goalie. It doesn't mention it specifically, but if you read right after what you posted, it mentions the 160 NHL games played cutoff, which is the criteria for a skater.

Yes, the professional game starts their clock for the years played portion of the criteria. The games played portion is specifically NHL games. And also, the chart you listed is specific to a skater, not a goalie. It doesn't mention it specifically, but if you read right after what you posted, it mentions the 160 NHL games played cutoff, which is the criteria for a skater.

Somehow I got that, but didn't get it. Now I do.

Hamilton needs a lesson in CBA. I find it odd these guys say it like they know it, but don't. The other day I had to tweet Harrington about his article. He wrote that LaLime could be bought out, which he can't.

Somehow I got that, but didn't get it. Now I do.

Hamilton needs a lesson in CBA. I find it odd these guys say it like they know it, but don't. The other day I had to tweet Harrington about his article. He wrote that LaLime could be bought out, which he can't.

Call the Station.

Offer your services as CBA consultant.

In return, you'll be able to pistol-whip any on-air personality of your choosing payable weekly.

Archived