A Tim Trade Rumor

waldo

Didn't he have a torn retina or something?

Craig Ramsey and him were terrific at locking down a lead.

In Budd Bailey's book, Ric says he lost most of the vision in his left eye, his dominant eye. Not sure if he regained any of that lost vision. He did play several more years, his production declining each year. But it's funny to see that in his last year in Buffalo, he scored four goals in the infamous five game playoff series against Quebec in 1985.

Here's a bit more info:

Missed part of 1981-82 season with right eye injury suffered during Buffalo's Jan. 30, 1982, game at Calgary. He was struck in the eye by Phil Russell's errant stick, and the injury nearly ended his career. He resumed playing with a face shield.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1977/77014.html

The captain has to be a good player who is tough and consistently plays hard. I would love it if Vanek fit the bill, but he hasn't done so to this point in his career.

Are you high? Vanek doesn't play hard??? Find me one other player on this roster willing to stand in front of the net on the powerplay and take the abuse Vanek takes. And you're saying he doesn't care and doesn't try?

I would also love it if Hecht were as good as Zetterberg or if Gaustad were as good as Brenden Morrow, but they aren't. Neither is anyone else on the team. So you go with what you've got. I think Hecht and Gaustad have been the two best leaders during the Sabres' surge over the past 5-6 weeks.

Hecht has been conspicuous lazy on several goals against this year. Calgary scored a goal on us earlier this year where Hecht just flat out refused to back check or even try to get involved. He's one of the last players I'd point to when I'm looking for an "effort" guy.

Then there's Gaustad. He forgot how to score goals to start this year. But he could still make a difference fighting and throwing his body around. Does he? No, not really. He barely fights (even though he's good at it) and I can't remember the last time he threw a hit that was worth talking about in the game thread. So he doesn't really score goals and he doesn't really do anything else that would make you not want to play against him. But he's tall and he's been here a while, so I guess that's something.

Forget what you'd like to see happen -- based on watching this team, if they make the playoffs and if LR is back next year, what do you think WILL happen?

I can't even imagine what Ruff will do if he's back. His misuse of Vanek has been a joke for years and his choices for captain are bizarre (Rivet with a C? Roy, Pominville, and Hecht with A's??).

Vanek is seriously the only choice for captain on this roster that makes any sense at all. Sadly, I think there's a zero percent chance Ruff ever makes that happen.

The captain has to be a good player who is tough and consistently plays hard. I would love it if Vanek fit the bill, but he hasn't done so to this point in his career. I would also love it if Hecht were as good as Zetterberg or if Gaustad were as good as Brenden Morrow, but they aren't. Neither is anyone else on the team. So you go with what you've got. I think Hecht and Gaustad have been the two best leaders during the Sabres' surge over the past 5-6 weeks.

Forget what you'd like to see happen -- based on watching this team, if they make the playoffs and if LR is back next year, what do you think WILL happen?

This. The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team. It has to be someone who leads by example by playing hard night in and night out and demands his teammates do the same.

He can't suck and be a part-time player who gets healthy scratch three out of four games, though.

This. The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team. It has to be someone who leads by example by playing hard night in and night out and demands his teammates do the same.

He can't suck and be a part-time player who gets healthy scratch three out of four games, though.

I'd say he needs to be someone who can make an actual difference in the game though. When Drury scored his playoff goal against the Rangers, there's a reason RJ said "Who else?! WHO ELSE?!" Results matter.

Some guy who gives 110% and ends up with 30 points after 82 games isn't going to inspire anyone. There's a reason no one has brought up Cody McCormick for this yet (though he'd be better than Hecht or Gaustad, IMO).

I know he's injured and everyone has forgotten about him, but in all seriousness, I think you just described Derek Roy. I think he was really coming into his own this year, becoming a leader on this team, and is perennially the leading point scorer for the Sabres. He was leading the team in points before he got hurt. Roy has really matured and while he does have the occasional dive here and there, he has really matured and become the Sabres best player. He also wears an A, too. I think Roy is ready to step into the role of Captain of the Sabres and let Pominville, Hecht, and Gaustad wear the As. That's my thought at least.

In a perfect world, Roy could be in the running. I need to see more than 2 months of his alleged maturation before I would even consider him in the running. The fact that he was leading the team in points is meaningless; he has done that for several years, all while holding down the title of head SGM.

I'd be shocked, if the next captain isn't Thomas Vanek.

A bit strong, but I think its likely.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to have a way with the players, getting them going, organizing plays, etc.

He does seem more vocal, more of a spokesman.

Everyone that knows me knows I'm not Vanek's biggest fan, but I think the time has come to give him the "C".

This surprised me - and tells me its my palm and not my glasses that are rosy.

I think next year's captain will come from outside the organization. I also expect the reolving "C" to rear it's head for awhile before the permanent "C" is issued.

This is entirely possible - If a big name FA were to be acquired who would be potential captain material, it very well could go back to a rotating captaincy to give him a chance to integrate with the team. I think the fragile little children in the room have matured to the point where they just won't hand the C to the first guy who walks in the room with some hair on his chest.

In Budd Bailey's book, Ric says he lost most of the vision in his left eye, his dominant eye. Not sure if he regained any of that lost vision. He did play several more years, his production declining each year. But it's funny to see that in his last year in Buffalo, he scored four goals in the infamous five game playoff series against Quebec in 1985.

Here's a bit more info:

Missed part of 1981-82 season with right eye injury suffered during Buffalo's Jan. 30, 1982, game at Calgary. He was struck in the eye by Phil Russell's errant stick, and the injury nearly ended his career. He resumed playing with a face shield.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1977/77014.html

He must have retained or regained some useful vision, I don't know if the rule was in effect in Seilings day, but I recall Bryan Berard needing to prove at least 20/200 vision in order to get clearance to play. I am myself damn near totally blind in my left eye for the past 4 years, and if someone played with my vision they would get killed playing in the NHL.

Are you high? Vanek doesn't play hard??? Find me one other player on this roster willing to stand in front of the net on the powerplay and take the abuse Vanek takes. And you're saying he doesn't care and doesn't try?

Hecht has been conspicuous lazy on several goals against this year. Calgary scored a goal on us earlier this year where Hecht just flat out refused to back check or even try to get involved. He's one of the last players I'd point to when I'm looking for an "effort" guy.

Then there's Gaustad. He forgot how to score goals to start this year. But he could still make a difference fighting and throwing his body around. Does he? No, not really. He barely fights (even though he's good at it) and I can't remember the last time he threw a hit that was worth talking about in the game thread. So he doesn't really score goals and he doesn't really do anything else that would make you not want to play against him. But he's tall and he's been here a while, so I guess that's something.

I can't even imagine what Ruff will do if he's back. His misuse of Vanek has been a joke for years and his choices for captain are bizarre (Rivet with a C? Roy, Pominville, and Hecht with A's??).

Vanek is seriously the only choice for captain on this roster that makes any sense at all. Sadly, I think there's a zero percent chance Ruff ever makes that happen.

Take it easy. We ought to be able to have this discussion without accusations or sarcasm.

I said "consistently plays hard." I don't think Vanek does, although I think he's improved on this count since Roy was injured. When the Sabres were crapping the bed to start the season, he had 4 goals, 5 assists and a minus-6 in 17 games -- and 2 of the 4 goals came in a 6-1 win vs. NJ. That's not what a leader does.

Hecht certainly has failed on the backcheck a few times, including on one of TB's goals last night. I still think he plays the most consistently determined 2-way game out of any of the forwards.

Gaustad brings quite a bit more than height and seniority. He hits, he wins faceoffs (esp. on the PK) and his line has been great on the forecheck lately. There's a reason that line has been starting each period.

Rivet has certainly been a disappointment this year. However, when he joined the team in 2008, did you think anyone else on the team was captain-worthy?

In a perfect world, Roy could be in the running. I need to see more than 2 months of his alleged maturation before I would even consider him in the running. The fact that he was leading the team in points is meaningless; he has done that for several years, all while holding down the title of head SGM.

This is entirely possible - If a big name FA were to be acquired who would be potential captain material, it very well could go back to a rotating captaincy to give him a chance to integrate with the team. I think the fragile little children in the room have matured to the point where they just won't hand the C to the first guy who walks in the room with some hair on his chest.

+1 on both of these.

I'd say he needs to be someone who can make an actual difference in the game though. When Drury scored his playoff goal against the Rangers, there's a reason RJ said "Who else?! WHO ELSE?!" Results matter.

Some guy who gives 110% and ends up with 30 points after 82 games isn't going to inspire anyone. There's a reason no one has brought up Cody McCormick for this yet (though he'd be better than Hecht or Gaustad, IMO).

Sure, results matter...that's why no one is suggesting a McCormick or no one ever thought to suggest Peters for a letter. I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be the best scorer on the team. Some teams give letters to star players in hopes of motivating them and helping them develop into a mature leader. Some star players are already leaders, and that's fine too. I just don't think we need to pigeonhole the new captain as the best player on the team.

Take it easy. We ought to be able to have this discussion without accusations or sarcasm.

I said "consistently plays hard." I don't think Vanek does, although I think he's improved on this count since Roy was injured. When the Sabres were crapping the bed to start the season, he had 4 goals, 5 assists and a minus-6 in 17 games -- and 2 of the 4 goals came in a 6-1 win vs. NJ. That's not what a leader does.

Hecht certainly has failed on the backcheck a few times, including on one of TB's goals last night. I still think he plays the most consistently determined 2-way game out of any of the forwards.

Gaustad brings quite a bit more than height and seniority. He hits, he wins faceoffs (esp. on the PK) and his line has been great on the forecheck lately. There's a reason that line has been starting each period.

Rivet has certainly been a disappointment this year. However, when he joined the team in 2008, did you think anyone else on the team was captain-worthy?

Good post.

Teams do not need captains, the fans do. Maybe the Sabres captain should wear a captain's helmet with a feather in it, or possibly red captain's skates. How about a blue captain's scarf or cape. All so foolish, this discussion of A vs B. "Wanted applicants for Sabre's Captain". The Sabres spend their number two draft pick for a Captain! He does not play very well but he is a born leader. This is all so politic imo. Maybe the Sabres should have a scout leader, a secret handshake and two way walkie talkie watches too.Ya just gotta love this stuff. The Sabres pick a captain and then bench him because he can not play worth a ---- anymore. That worked well. The team is rolling while the captain watches from the stands.

Archived