A Tim Trade Rumor

waldo

I'm not so sure that market is ever as inflated as the defenseman market is (which is why we'll find a taker for Rivet), but he'll definitely have his value later this month.

I'm pretty skeptical about this.

If we trade Rivet, I'll fly back to Buffalo to sew the C on Vanek's jersey that same day. (Will figure out how to sew on the plane ride.)

...and even more skeptical about this.

I don't know. Our current captain is soon to be gone, and I don't see Hecht or Goose or Pomminstein making sense. Of that group, Pomminstein would seem the most likely, but I prefer my captain to have some fire in his blood and not be a perennial Lady Byng candidate. Vanek really seems to get it this year - his effort, conditioning and consistency are much improved. He will be here long term, and is our best player. He seems to have learned how to respond well to pressure and expectation, something he did not do early in his career. Of the current team, I could easily see him being named the next captain. Myers (like TV a couple years ago) needs to learn to play consistently well in the NHL as the top dog on his team, the last thing he needs is the pressure of the C.

Then again, I'm not in the locker room, so who the hell knows.

I'm pretty skeptical about this.

Who else could be the new captain? And what do we have to lose by finding out if Vanek is up to the task?

Other than Myers, he's the only player on the team capable of being a superstar in this league. Give him the C and a ton of ice time and see if he can make it happen.

You could go the Vancouver way. ;)

Didn't the league basically say don't do that again?

Edit: Google is my friend. The NHL has prohibited goalies from acting as captains on the ice since 1948.

So what's the point - are you suggesting a good goalie > a euro captain?

I don't know. Our current captain is soon to be gone, and I don't see Hecht or Goose or Pomminstein making sense. Of that group, Pomminstein would seem the most likely, but I prefer my captain to have some fire in his blood and not be a perennial Lady Byng candidate. Vanek really seems to get it this year - his effort, conditioning and consistency are much improved. He will be here long term, and is our best player. He seems to have learned how to respond well to pressure and expectation, something he did not do early in his career. Of the current team, I could easily see him being named the next captain. Myers (like TV a couple years ago) needs to learn to play consistently well in the NHL as the top dog on his team, the last thing he needs is the pressure of the C.

Then again, I'm not in the locker room, so who the hell knows.

Who else could be the new captain? And what do we have to lose by finding out if Vanek is up to the task?

Other than Myers, he's the only player on the team capable of being a superstar in this league. Give him the C and a ton of ice time and see if he can make it happen.

I think Hecht and Gaustad, in that order, are the most likely candidates.

I think Vanek has played better since the head SGM repaired to Dave & Buster's for the rest of the season, but I still don't think he's the guy. Has he ever worn an "A?"

Didn't the league basically say don't do that again?

Edit: Google is my friend. The NHL has prohibited goalies from acting as captains on the ice since 1948.

So what's the point - are you suggesting a good goalie > a euro captain?

I wasn't actually serious.

On the ice, it's purely symbolic. You would have three A's that talk to the refs just like they do now with Rivet on the bench (oops) in the press box.

In all seriousness, I would stick with the three A's and no Captain to the end of the season were Rivet traded. Announce that a new Captain will be named at the start of next year and see who steps up to earn it.

I wasn't actually serious.

On the ice, it's purely symbolic. You would have three A's that talk to the refs just like they do now with Rivet on the bench.

In all seriousness, I would stick with the three A's and no Captain to the end of the season were Rivet traded. Announce that a new Captain will be named at the start of next year and see who steps up to earn it.

I wouldn't expect them to do anything different.

I am sick of unworthy captains, rotating captains, and captains in the press box. Get someone in here who is a very good player in the league and actually captain material and let him wear the damn C for the next decade.

I think Vanek has played better since the head SGM repaired to Dave & Buster's for the rest of the season, but I still don't think he's the guy. Has he ever worn an "A?"

Is there a vomit emoticon? Just add some imaginary projectile to this one :yawn:

If they could somehow pry Wayne Simmonds away from LA, that would make my year.

His game reminds me a lot of Ric Seiling.

Years ago my brother got me into a Sabres charity event at HSBC where you bid to play 18 holes of mini-golf with current and former Sabres. My brother and I played with Ric Seiling, great guy and we had a lot of fun. My girlfriend (now wife) and my brothers girlfriend (not his wife) got paired up with Darcy! I believe this was around the time of the Peca holdout so 'ole Darcy wasn't too popular then either.

[/b]

I wouldn't expect them to do anything different.

I am sick of unworthy captains, rotating captains, and captains in the press box. Get someone in here who is a very good player in the league and actually captain material and let him wear the damn C for the next decade.

I know he's injured and everyone has forgotten about him, but in all seriousness, I think you just described Derek Roy. I think he was really coming into his own this year, becoming a leader on this team, and is perennially the leading point scorer for the Sabres. He was leading the team in points before he got hurt. Roy has really matured and while he does have the occasional dive here and there, he has really matured and become the Sabres best player. He also wears an A, too. I think Roy is ready to step into the role of Captain of the Sabres and let Pominville, Hecht, and Gaustad wear the As. That's my thought at least.

Hecht and Gaustad would be perfect choices if we want to make sure that our team captain is a mediocre player. Hecht and Gaustad?? You really want the rest of the roster watching them and thinking "Man, I really hope I can play as well as those two."

Has Vanek ever worn an A? Nope, not that I know of. But who cares? Give him the responsibility and see what he does with it. Vanek has more potential than anyone else on the team. But he's never going to reach that potential if we keep giving him the same ice time as players he's much better than, and never give him a chance to be a leader for the team.

The Sabres have been brainless for four years now. Do we have anything to lose by trying something new?

Hecht and Gaustad would be perfect choices if we want to make sure that our team captain is a mediocre player. Hecht and Gaustad?? You really want the rest of the roster watching them and thinking "Man, I really hope I can play as well as those two."

Has Vanek ever worn an A? Nope, not that I know of. But who cares? Give him the responsibility and see what he does with it. Vanek has more potential than anyone else on the team. But he's never going to reach that potential if we keep giving him the same ice time as players he's much better than, and never give him a chance to be a leader for the team.

The Sabres have been brainless for four years now. Do we have anything to lose by trying something new?

The captain has to be a good player who is tough and consistently plays hard. I would love it if Vanek fit the bill, but he hasn't done so to this point in his career. I would also love it if Hecht were as good as Zetterberg or if Gaustad were as good as Brenden Morrow, but they aren't. Neither is anyone else on the team. So you go with what you've got. I think Hecht and Gaustad have been the two best leaders during the Sabres' surge over the past 5-6 weeks.

Forget what you'd like to see happen -- based on watching this team, if they make the playoffs and if LR is back next year, what do you think WILL happen?

The captain has to be a good player who is tough and consistently plays hard. I would love it if Vanek fit the bill, but he hasn't done so to this point in his career. I would also love it if Hecht were as good as Zetterberg or if Gaustad were as good as Brenden Morrow, but they aren't. Neither is anyone else on the team. So you go with what you've got. I think Hecht and Gaustad have been the two best leaders during the Sabres' surge over the past 5-6 weeks.

Forget what you'd like to see happen -- based on watching this team, if they make the playoffs and if LR is back next year, what do you think WILL happen?

I think next year's captain will come from outside the organization. I also expect the reolving "C" to rear it's head for awhile before the permanent "C" is issued.

Archived