Game Discussion Thread

Cereal

this video is full of pommer shots from the point

point not proven. i counted only 3 goals from the point. also, pominville played in only 57 games that year and had 18 goals. so he was not not a big part of the sabres powerplay being good. that powerplay was great and would have been great even witout pominville.

Stafford with the puck in the slot. That needs to be buried.

Miller was bad when the team needed him most.

The forwards have let this team down more than Miller has. Miller makes clutch saves and its excpected, a bad shot goes in and he gets hanged. How about hanging the forwards that couldn't hit an open soccer net. Our goalies can't afford to let in bad goals because the forwards can't score "gimmie" goals.

The forwards have let this team down more than Miller has. Miller makes clutch saves and its excpected, a bad shot goes in and he gets hanged. How about hanging the forwards that couldn't hit an open soccer net. Our goalies can't afford to let in bad goals because the forwards can't score "gimmie" goals.

Come on, Vanish had two shots on goal tonight, what else you want out of the guy?

point not proven. i counted only 3 goals from the point. also, pominville played in only 57 games that year and had 18 goals. so he was not not a big part of the sabres powerplay being good. that powerplay was great and would have been great even witout pominville.

10 of his 18 goals were on the powerplay, also 5 PP assists. I don't understand why you even want to argue the fact -- I mean, if he DIDN'T have a successful year manning the point in 05/06 then that just further proves my original logic in questioning why Lindy chooses to play him there now, doesn't it? You people. Argue just to argue. :doh:

But if you didn't watch in 05-06 then I'm legitimately sorry for you, you've already missed the best Sabres season you'll ever get a chance to see.

10 of his 18 goals were on the powerplay, also 5 PP assists. I don't understand why you even want to argue the fact -- I mean, if he DIDN'T have a successful year manning the point in 05/06 then that just further proves my original logic in questioning why Lindy chooses to play him there now, doesn't it? You people. Argue just to argue. :doh:

But if you didn't watch in 05-06 then I'm legitimately sorry for you, you've already missed the best Sabres season you'll ever get a chance to see.

your makin 2 different points now. sure he had a succefull year on the powerplay that year, but does that mean he was an integral part of said powerplay? no.

your makin 2 different points now. sure he had a succefull year on the powerplay that year, but does that mean he was an integral part of said powerplay? no.

And you're not making any point at all. I already said in my original post that you quoted, they weren't the "main" reason the powerplay was good but it certainly helped. And if you watched any games in 05-06 you would certainly know that Kotalik and Pommer both had cannons that they often utilized from the point. The whole powerplay unit revolved around setting one of them up for the one-timer. It was Kotalik more often than Pommer because Al was on the first unit, while Pommer probably didn't get as much ice time as a rookie with the extra man. He still made the best of it, scoring over 50% of his goals on the PP.

But again, you're arguing just to argue. Did you even read any of the thread? Do you even know why I'm talking about Pominville? I generally don't care how thick headed people on this site are, but you're essentially arguing that you want Pominville on the point -- the same Pominville that has just 5 goals all year, only one on the powerplay from his point position. The only reason I brought him up to begin with was to draw the parallel -- he used to have a very effective slapshot, as you saw several times in the montage video I posted. Not all of them were from the point on the powerplay, but it was still a rocket of a shot. Now he relies on a weak wrister 100% of the time and has virtually no value as a shooter OR playmaker on the powerplay.

1. I am reluctant to blame losses on refs, just as I am reluctant to credit wins to them. But the Sabres got jobbed tonight, and not just on the Myers slash. Early on, a scrum in front of the Sabs net, well, that's a penalty on the Sabs. Later, in front of the Florida net, well, that's matching minors. BS. And then, there's the matter of that uncalled slash, but more importantly...

2. Miller, dammit, you have to MAKE THAT SAVE. What the hell is your problem with Florida?

Come on, Vanish had two shots on goal tonight, what else you want out of the guy?

I do believe you're being facitious. What I would like to see out of all the skaters is quicker shots. They duddle with the puck thinking they will set up the perfect shot, when what they really did was allow the goalie and defense to set-up and takeaway an effective shot. Last year's SC Finals teams were very adept at the one timer. I rarely see a one-timer from the Sabres.

1. I am reluctant to blame losses on refs, just as I am reluctant to credit wins to them. But the Sabres got jobbed tonight, and not just on the Myers slash. Early on, a scrum in front of the Sabs net, well, that's a penalty on the Sabs. Later, in front of the Florida net, well, that's matching minors. BS. And then, there's the matter of that uncalled slash, but more importantly...

2. Miller, dammit, you have to MAKE THAT SAVE. What the hell is your problem with Florida?

This sums up my view pretty well. The non-call on the trip was unacceptable but they did call the cross check with less than 2 to go which was unusual. The uncalled slash with less than 30 to go was also brutal but understandable.

Weren't Drury and Briere in the slot?

I don't really remember so I am asking.

Yes, but I don't know if they always were on the same PP unit. You'll probably remember Briere hanging around the left side of the net (looking at the net) pretty often.

On a team that is already offensively challenged, we now lose Roy with a lower body injury which Ruff termed 'serious'. Things continue to go downhill for a team that Ruff called a stanley cup contender in the preseason while many of us on this board were saying they would be lucky to make the post season. Perhaps Regier will now get off his hands and shake things up. Or maybe not. He had more excuses and reasons for not dealing in the intermission and it would seem that he still thinks the answers are within that room. The denial and what I'll call ignorance coming out of this coaching staff and management team almost on a daily basis is really starting to stink the joint up and is a slap in the face to all Sabres fans who continue to pour time,money and emotion into this franchise. This christmas break couldn't have come at a better time. Lets hope a new owner is in the cards for the new year.

On a team that is already offensively challenged, we now lose Roy with a lower body injury which Ruff termed 'serious'. Things continue to go downhill for a team that Ruff called a stanley cup contender in the preseason while many of us on this board were saying they would be lucky to make the post season. Perhaps Regier will now get off his hands and shake things up. Or maybe not. He had more excuses and reasons for not dealing in the intermission and it would seem that he still thinks the answers are within that room. The denial and what I'll call ignorance coming out of this coaching staff and management team almost on a daily basis is really starting to stink the joint up and is a slap in the face to all Sabres fans who continue to pour time,money and emotion into this franchise. This christmas break couldn't have come at a better time. Lets hope a new owner is in the cards for the new year.

Good post. This Roy injury will be paired with Miller's injury as the official off-season excuses for Status Quo.

Good post. This Roy injury will be paired with Miller's injury as the official off-season excuses for Status Quo.

While most everyone agrees that Connolly contributes more to the team on the IR than on the ice, Darcy is a of a very different opinion - Expect the Connolly injuries to be a "surprise", "bad luck" and a "deciding factor".

About Lindy Ruff - I've seen his teams come out flat time and again since after the 1999 finals. What is it with this guy? Even Team Canada, who he coached to a silver medal a few years back managed to come out completely flat for the final against Russia. He's definitely doing something wrong.

With regards to Lindy's trademark : We had a thread a while back, in which we were asked to describe Lindy Ruff hockey in one word - I'd like to change my answer to "unprepared".

Archived